Future sale of Bills ??????????? (speculation from attention seeking media)

DallasBillsFan1

5 minutes ago, I am leaving for good said:

Your missing my point New York State your still making more money than Canada add to the NFL

32 team revenue pie. Plus the NFL offices are in New York City the League isn’t pulling the Bills out of New York State under any scenario for Canada. The Los Angeles Times talking to a Los Angeles council member at the time trying to get Los Angeles a NFL team named Bernard Parks let the cat out of the bag yet some Buffalo Bills fans still live in forever fear of the Bills moving. Quote “moving the Buffalo Bills out of New York State is to hard and messy there would be court lawsuits and the NFL owners want no part of that.” He also said “ think of the NFL as the old mafia.” “The NFL isn’t messing with each teams 32 territories.” Bernard Parks is a outsider from Los Angeles saying which teams are moveable and which ones would be messy at the time of the Los Angeles Times article. San Diego, Oakland were easy that is why they were moved. St Louis was messy and the NFL paid St Louis settling out of court for Stan Kronke’s mess. Los Angeles is one thing Toronto isn’t that important to the NFL owners like Los Angeles is. The Cincinnati Bengals potentially will be in Canada before the Buffalo Bills. If what you said was how the NFL owners felt when they talked to New York State leaders the Buffalo Bills would be moved already and told to forget building a new stadium. Including that bum Jerry Jones who thinks that the Buffalo Bills play in Northern New York.

It’s not happening because what you are discounting is Western New York isn’t just Buffalo people here. They are Global brand already like all NFL teams today they already have fans in Canada and Mexico already they don’t have to move there. The Bills if they were going to move to Toronto it would have happened already. The Bills are a television show one of 32 NFL television shows so instead of a Brady Bunch television show lunch box you are buying jerseys, hats, t-shirts they don’t need boxes and crap like that the television and streaming packages do that. We sell merchandise a lot of it all over the Globe. Again Denver will be moved before Buffalo. Because they are isolated by the Rocky Mountains Colorado isn’t as financial as well off as New York State same deal in Ohio and Kansas City. The Chiefs can move they don’t have the Stock Market Exchange in Kansas City like New York State. Ok it is irrational fear in Western New York I could guess and make up whatever city. Oh boy the Bills could move A, B, C, D City? They aren’t moving they never were because New York State is a big one population and in one of the biggest financial markets in the World let’s not act like New York State is Rhode Island. New York Bills is basically the worst thing for some Buffalo Bills fans they might have to deal with someday at worse but they will have to accept that like we do with everything else today it is what it is. I realize as a Bills fan I am wrong person because I see everything as the same concept Bills, Bisons, Bonnies, Bulls, Griffs and Sabres etc root for the home team buy merchandise and stuff my mouth with foods and drinks hoping Buffalo wins a championship. The Bills aren’t going anywhere and if they do so what? I watch my Los Angeles Braves-Clippers on television as a 49 year plus Buffalo Braves fan that is Buffalo fan and team loyalty. I will watch and root for the Bills franchise regardless. I am not living in Buffalo Bills moving fear there a professional football team that is all that are supposed to be enjoyed for pleasure not living in irrational fear. 

Let me try this agian, because I don't feel like maybe I am explaining it correctly....you keep mentioning merch sales and that New York state has the this, that, the stock market etc...I don't disagree with any of that.  I am saying THAT stuff doesn't matter to the owners nearly as much as TV revenue.  You brought up the Bengals...so mabye this would make more sense if I just use them as an example....  Lets say some circumstance suddenly comes up and the Bengals were up for sale....Someone...maybe that Canadian billionaire that wants a team.....he buys the Bengals and moves them to Toronto.  The 31 other owners benefit WAY more from that move than just keepin the team in Cincy.  A team in Canada would almost certainly generate more NFL eyes accross the nation.  The 31 other owners, would all share in that increased TV revenue deal from Canada.  The US TV ratings would essentially be unchanged.  Same 32 piec pie...more money per owner.  They pretty much don't share much merch sales..the local teams keep more of that for themselves..  875 Million and lawsuits is nothing to sneeze at...but in a world where a frnachise goes for 6 billion....it's more likely viewed as just part of the transaction (if you wanted to move the team) than an impediment these days.  

I've already agreed WNY is a GREAT Football market...if the basis of all this was on the local market being what drives revenue..NO ONE would ever move the Bills....that isn't where the bread is buttered though.  It's media rights.  

My whole point is...The Pegulas weren't moving the team....and were good to go with a new stadium, playing in WNY and all that....the situation may still very well be that, but speculation that due to Kim's sudden decline in health....it's worth thinking about what might be possible...and in speculating as such...the local market, fan support, brand...is something to be weighed against the costs and benefits of a move IF.....IF  the Bills were to be offered for sale agian sometime soon.  

I don't want the Bills to move.  I like tradition and stability and rivalries and history.  I hope they aren't sold.  I hope Kim Pegula recovers and that the pegulas own the team a long time and it stays where it is.  But if it were for sale....I'd worry that the NFL would suddenly be very very interested in Toronto.

The teams that need to have concern is where there is a not cemented tradition in the NFL like the Jags moving to London someday.  

The owners now that Buffalo has a new stadium deal worth $1.54 bil. Of public NYS $ is ludicrous.  They would never approve of it.

NYS would make such a public relations nightmare including the Governor of NYS who governs the 2nd or 3rd largest and most influential state in the union and where the league office resides would never happen.

Besides Terry if anything wants a legacy for their daughters to own when he decides to take a step back.  He’s not an invalid.  So as my least favorite talented QB who likes going into the dark stars, R-E-L-A-X.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

The teams that need to have concern is where there is a not cemented tradition in the NFL like the Jags moving to London someday.  

The owners now that Buffalo has a new stadium deal worth $1.54 bil. Of public NYS $ is ludicrous.  They would never approve of it.

NYS would make such a public relations nightmare including the Governor of NYS who governs the 2nd or 3rd largest and most influential state in the union and where the league office resides would never happen.

Besides Terry if anything wants a legacy for their daughters to own when he decides to take a step back.  He’s not an invalid.  So as my least favorite talented QB who likes going into the dark stars, R-E-L-A-X.

Not to nitpick but NY State has slid to fourth in population behind California, Texas, and Florida. I had to look it up, but couldn’t believe that NYS is now barely HALF the size of California. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Solid as usual, Guns!

I am of the mindset that I don’t THINK they are leaving, either.

However, the possibility does exist, albeit in a Dumb and Dumber “so you’re saying there’s a chance?”, way.

What I am more focused on right now is: WR, LB, OL and not necessarily in that order.

BTW, my #ShouldHaveGivenHarryThe6Mill is way in my rear view mirror and I am over it.*

(* Not really)

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not to nitpick but NY State has slid to fourth in population behind California, Texas, and Florida. I had to look it up, but couldn’t believe that NYS is now barely HALF the size of California. 

Not really that surprising.  Feel like every week I have a friend or relative tell me they are or know someone who is moving to Tennessee, Texas, or Florida.  

Edited by thenorthremembers

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Not really that surprising.  Feel like every week I have a friend or relative tell me they are or know someone who is moving to Tennessee, Texas, or Florida.  

Fourth place should be safe for quite awhile. Pennsylvania and Illinois are still a pretty distant 5th and 6th place. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Let me try this agian, because I don't feel like maybe I am explaining it correctly....you keep mentioning merch sales and that New York state has the this, that, the stock market etc...I don't disagree with any of that.  I am saying THAT stuff doesn't matter to the owners nearly as much as TV revenue.  You brought up the Bengals...so mabye this would make more sense if I just use them as an example....  Lets say some circumstance suddenly comes up and the Bengals were up for sale....Someone...maybe that Canadian billionaire that wants a team.....he buys the Bengals and moves them to Toronto.  The 31 other owners benefit WAY more from that move than just keepin the team in Cincy.  A team in Canada would almost certainly generate more NFL eyes accross the nation.  The 31 other owners, would all share in that increased TV revenue deal from Canada.  The US TV ratings would essentially be unchanged.  Same 32 piec pie...more money per owner.  They pretty much don't share much merch sales..the local teams keep more of that for themselves..  875 Million and lawsuits is nothing to sneeze at...but in a world where a frnachise goes for 6 billion....it's more likely viewed as just part of the transaction (if you wanted to move the team) than an impediment these days.  

I've already agreed WNY is a GREAT Football market...if the basis of all this was on the local market being what drives revenue..NO ONE would ever move the Bills....that isn't where the bread is buttered though.  It's media rights.  

My whole point is...The Pegulas weren't moving the team....and were good to go with a new stadium, playing in WNY and all that....the situation may still very well be that, but speculation that due to Kim's sudden decline in health....it's worth thinking about what might be possible...and in speculating as such...the local market, fan support, brand...is something to be weighed against the costs and benefits of a move IF.....IF  the Bills were to be offered for sale agian sometime soon.  

I don't want the Bills to move.  I like tradition and stability and rivalries and history.  I hope they aren't sold.  I hope Kim Pegula recovers and that the pegulas own the team a long time and it stays where it is.  But if it were for sale....I'd worry that the NFL would suddenly be very very interested in Toronto.

I thought Terry's oldest daughter was getting involved and learning about how to run the Bills. I hope Kim also gets better but it sounds like Terry will transfer ownership to his kids will be the more likely scenario. With the new stadium coming the Bills aren't leaving WNY. If any team is in danger of moving it would be the Sabres. They aren't a cash cow like the Bills are. 

• Shocked 1

5 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

I understand your argument. Just to restate very briefly, Western New York can legitimately point out many assets tangible and emotive-traditional in favor of retaining the Bills. Nonetheless, there are economic incentives for a team in Canada powerful enough that any financial costs built into a move would be easily acceptable as an initial outlay because of obvious benefits overall. Think the Pegula family wants to keep the Bills in Buffalo. Do not think they are selling. Naturally, if that changes, the calculations also change.

19 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I thought Terry's oldest daughter was getting involved and learning about how to run the Bills. I hope Kim also gets better but it sounds like Terry will transfer ownership to his kids will be the more likely scenario. With the new stadium coming the Bills aren't leaving WNY. If any team is in danger of moving it would be the Sabres. They aren't a cash cow like the Bills are. 

I believe Terry's attachment to the Sabres is even stronger than his enthusiasm for the Bills. Missing the playoffs twelve years in a row has substantially hurt the Sabres' bottom line. They are poised to be good for a long stretch, however, so that is going to change.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I understand your argument. Just to restate very briefly, Western New York can legitimately point out many assets tangible and emotive-traditional in favor of retaining the Bills. Nonetheless, there are economic incentives for a team in Canada powerful enough that any financial costs built into a move would be easily acceptable as an initial outlay because of obvious benefits overall. Think the Pegula family wants to keep the Bills in Buffalo. Do not think they are selling. Naturally, if that changes, the calculations also change.

I believe Terry's attachment to the Sabres is even stronger than his enthusiasm for the Bills. Missing the playoffs twelve years in a row has substantially hurt the Sabres' bottom line. They are poised to be good for a long stretch, however, so that is going to change.

Terry may be a bigger hockey fan than football fan. But he is a smart businessman. It doesn't get any better than being an NFL owner as the league is a cash cow. The NHL not as much. The Bills will make way more $$$ for Terry and his family than the Sabres could.  

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Terry may be a bigger hockey fan than football fan. But he is a smart businessman. It doesn't get any better than being an NFL owner as the league is a cash cow. The NHL not as much. The Bills will make way more $$$ for Terry and his family than the Sabres could.  

No doubt. I am simply saying I don't think the Sabres are in danger of relocation, either.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

No doubt. I am simply saying I don't think the Sabres are in danger of relocation, either.

Yes, and no.

Their lease is about up, and they are going to be asking for a lot of money in upgrading that arena (if not asking for a new one).

Through the lens of that, the outlook appeared a bit stormy, with how the team could never leave their rut, and attendance was sparse.  I had never seen interest in the team so low, even during the NHL ownership/bankruptcy period.  You also had to wonder how much more frustration, criticism, embarrassment, and financial losses the Pegulas wanted to endure with the Sabres.  

The NHL has a few other fires burning though, and not a huge bench of billionaires willing to purchase (and relocate) a franchise.  The NHL seems a bit averse to relocation in recent decades.  

But they are at a crossroads with this arena (no pun intended).  I honestly wish money were no object and we can have a re-do with that terrible arena now.  They cold build a much more aesthetically pleasing, more comfortable arena, with much better sight lines, seats closer to the action... and house many of the events that people wanted with a Bills-centric facility downtown.  The thing we have now is the NHL's version of Three Rivers Stadium/Riverfront/Veterans Park/Busch Stadium.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, May Day 10 said:

Yes, and no.

Their lease is about up, and they are going to be asking for a lot of money in upgrading that arena (if not asking for a new one).

Through the lens of that, the outlook appeared a bit stormy, with how the team could never leave their rut, and attendance was sparse.  I had never seen interest in the team so low, even during the NHL ownership/bankruptcy period.  You also had to wonder how much more frustration, criticism, embarrassment, and financial losses the Pegulas wanted to endure with the Sabres.  

The NHL has a few other fires burning though, and not a huge bench of billionaires willing to purchase (and relocate) a franchise.  The NHL seems a bit averse to relocation in recent decades.  

But they are at a crossroads with this arena (no pun intended).  I honestly wish money were no object and we can have a re-do with that terrible arena now.  They cold build a much more aesthetically pleasing, more comfortable arena, with much better sight lines, seats closer to the action... and house many of the events that people wanted with a Bills-centric facility downtown.  The thing we have now is the NHL's version of Three Rivers Stadium/Riverfront/Veterans Park/Busch Stadium.

Noted. I live in Georgia, but I have heard complaints about the arena so I am sure you are correct in your assessment. 

32 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Yes, and no.

Anybody know if a new Sabres arena will have a roof? 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Yes, and no.

The Keybank Center or whatever it's called now (how many names did it have since it opened?) was doomed since it opened in 1996.

I1NaVW99HzwATPl4u_wQ9aGJpqhciQeRTQNiGzRu0e8.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

7 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

get off my nuts.

I even didn't see the Sabres moved a game, but its a little different in hockey where they play a zillion games and they play every day, "just catch us on the next road trip...."

The Bills lobbying the league all week long to move the game for a competitive advantage was bush league

Ahh yes, avoiding the travel bans and highway closures. Classic competitive advantage. 

Your whole argument was that if they had a roof they could play… then the Sabres had to move a game because of weather 😂

I don’t think Terry selling the Bills is so far fetched. Kim has undergone a life-changing health event. Things like this change priorities. Does he really want to spend the rest of his life worrying about sport teams? If it were to occur, it’ll be after the stadium is built though. 

9 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

I don’t think Terry selling the Bills is so far fetched. Kim has undergone a life-changing health event. Things like this change priorities. Does he really want to spend the rest of his life worrying about sport teams? If it were to occur, it’ll be after the stadium is built though. 

Unless he wants to pass ownership down to his children. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Unless he wants to pass ownership down to his children. 

He'll now bring up the onerous inheritance tax, though there are high priced lawyers to negotiate how to accommodate that hurdle. As well, if there is a change in the administration in 2024, the punitive inheritance tax will probably be greatly reduced.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

He'll now bring up the onerous inheritance tax, though there are high priced lawyers to negotiate how to accommodate that hurdle. As well, if there is a change in the administration in 2024, the punitive inheritance tax will probably be greatly reduced.

Being an NFL owner has to be the best. Most popular sport in America. The TV contracts alone make the league a cash cow. The Bills will make Terry and Kim's children so much money over the years. Just look at how the Bills value increased since Terry bought them. He paid 1.4 billion and now thanks to the new stadium they are worth more than 3 billion. The Sabres however might be a different story. Aren't they in the red financially?

Just now, Gregg said:

Being an NFL owner has to be the best. Most popular sport in America. The TV contracts alone make the league a cash cow. The Bills will make Terry and Kim's children so much money over the years. Just look at how the Bills value increased since Terry bought them. He paid 1.4 billion and now thanks to the new stadium they are worth more than 3 billion. The Sabres however might be a different story. Aren't they in the red financially?

Probably. The NHL relies much more on revenue from the playoffs and the Sabres have missed for a record twelve straight years. Folks are skeptical about optimism about the team, but they really do have a terrific young core with a stacked group of prospects. They need to bring in a few solid veteran D and maybe a veteran goalie to pair with Levi, but playoffs should happen next year. They are poised to be good for a long stretch, so the financials will improve as the fans return.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.