My money is on Beane moving up in the 1st rd to take an offensive player.

Tipster19

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Wrong again. Hines is under contract for two more seasons. And Spotrac hasn't updated the contract since his restructure. But OTC has, it's a 2 million dollar dead cap hit (on top of the 4 million we paid up front and the 5th Round Pick we spent on him):

https://overthecap.com/player/nyheim-hines/6989

And you sort of answered your own question there. They didn't do all of that for him to "just return kicks". Both Beane and McDermott have said they could have used him more last season on Offense and expect to use him more this season, as he'll have a full offseason with the team and won't be learning the playbook midseason.

And I can guarantee you Damien Harris didn't sign here when he did in FA without guarantees that he'd get playing time. We didn't do that just to have him ride the pine on Sundays while Robinson and Cook are dressed (which is what would happen if we drafted Robinson). You might not be a fan or worry about his injury history - but they made the move. They're not just going to replace him weeks later bc you want more.

As for next year, even if Harris is gone, you worry about RB then if you need to. This year, the position is covered. We need to worry about the positions that aren't covered this year, rather than upgrading the RB core again and again when it isn't necessary. Again, we've already spent a 2nd and a 5th and signed Harris. The 2nd we paid on Cook (which is a high price for a RB these days) is proving dividends. Now we want to delegate him to RB2 as he's showing growth after the price we paid? Why?

And no one is saying trade up for a Defensive player. The rumor isn't even for a Defensive player. The OP got that wrong. The rumor is a skill position player or an OL.

In my eyes, this rumored trade up is most likely for a pass catcher. You talk about RB and "what happens if". But look at WR. We've got Diggs and Davis on the outside. Davis underachieved last season. And when one of them needs a breather, we want to put more than 2 on the field, or God forbid one of them gets hurt - it's Trent Sherfield time. We need another outside WR.

And TE? We've got Knox and Morris and nothing else. Knox isn't a top tier TE to begin with. If we want to use 2 TE sets, Knox and Morris doesn't scare anyone. If Knox gets hurt, then what? 

This isn't even a run heavy team. Allen needs more reliable pass catchers then he had last season. Harty in the slot hopefully helps. But he still needs more. We were in on Hopkins and OBJ for a reason. But neither panned out. Now the Draft is the only real option. If it's for a Skill Player, it shouldn't be and won't be for a RB.

If they want to add another developmental player in the later Rounds, that's fine. But in the first few Rounds we need to be looking at WR, LB, TE, and OL.

At least we're on the same page as far as an offense guy.  If this team wants to stop spinning its wheels, then they need talent on offense.  Preferably a WR or yes, Bijan Robinson - who would become the best or 2nd best offensive weapon on this team not named Josh Allen.

I don't care about what assets have been spent on the RB position. I care about what's going to produce wins.  This franchise has wasted plenty of assets on the defensive line, yet they keep on swinging. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/8/2023 at 6:58 AM, Tipster19 said:

The more I think about it this makes the most sense. Imo the pressure is on Beane to make this draft work and fortifying Josh would be the best bet, whether it be a stud RB, a top tier WR or a OL to help solidify the trenches. To me it’s really between a stud RB or a mainstay OL because to hear Beane a top WR isn’t as important as one would think. 

Not having an abundance of draft picks this year I expect Beane to tap into the the 2024 draft resource to make this happen, either using a day 2 or 3 pick to move up in this year’s draft. Why not use a future draft pick when the heat is on now for a successful draft. If Beane comes up short this year he may not have to worry about next year’s draft. 

My problem with trading up for an interior OL or OT is that there is still a chance that player doesn't live up to the expectations. Why not trade the 1st round pick for an already established RT or OG? If we do then trade Oliver if need be to clear up some space to fit him in.

I would hope we don't move up in the draft for a RB, we'd definitely be the only team in the NFL who's spent a 1st and 2nd round pick on a RB 2 years in a row. 

A WR makes sense especially if there's a certain player that Beane and the scouts have honed in on like Zay Flowers who looks electrifying or Addison whose an excellent route runner (Much like Diggs). 

I'd still prefer the Bills to stand pat and take the best interior OL who falls to them, I dont think the McGovern or Stewart signings prevent this at all. Steve Avila, O'Cyrus Torrence are my top 2.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/9/2023 at 2:10 AM, NewEra said:

While I think we must attempt to upgrade WR, I agree with this.  I want to see him standing in the pocket looking like the Mandalorian…,, like he did in 2020 with a decent Daryl Williams at RT.  Too many times It seemed as if Josh’s first read started with Spencer’s assignment then onto Saffolds assignment, then he’d run for his life.  

100% here. O-line really needs to be improved. Just protect the superhuman we have playing the QB position and let him be special. He's proven he can do that. Sure, it would be nice to have some more elite skill players, but building a stout o-line with multiple high picks in the next couple drafts should be the foremost priority. 

• Agree 3

Just now, DC Greg said:

100% here. O-line really needs to be improved. Just protect the superhuman we have playing the QB position and let him be special. He's proven he can do that. Sure, it would be nice to have some more elite skill players, but building a stout o-line with multiple high picks in the next couple drafts should be the foremost priority. 

Mmhmmm.  Great pass protection + Josh’s mobility and size will allow decent playmakers to get open. It will give Josh more time to process the defense and make better decisions.  When he has time- he’s proven to be almost unstoppable.  When his first read is Spencer Brown, to see if he got beat like a rented mule (again), it throws everything off.  

Spencer Brown or Colin Brown?  Not sure who has done our franchise worse.  Colin may have been the worst player ever…. But we weren’t playing for anything.  He didn’t keep us from winning a SB.  Spencer could actually prevent us from winning a SB.  I’ll be ill if it’s Spencer or Quess at RT all season. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills aren't a single player or position from going to the next level, in my opinion we'd be better suited trading down to acquire a few higher picks to fill needs at MLB, WR, TE, DT and S to name a few spots to shore up depth. To me it's more about team production. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Mmhmmm.  Great pass protection + Josh’s mobility and size will allow decent playmakers to get open. It will give Josh more time to process the defense and make better decisions.  When he has time- he’s proven to be almost unstoppable.  When his first read is Spencer Brown, to see if he got beat like a rented mule (again), it throws everything off.  

Spencer Brown or Colin Brown?  Not sure who has done our franchise worse.  Colin may have been the worst player ever…. But we weren’t playing for anything.  He didn’t keep us from winning a SB.  Spencer could actually prevent us from winning a SB.  I’ll be ill if it’s Spencer or Quess at RT all season. 

I don't ever want to see Q or Spencer play RT again. Spencer Brown being Josh's 1st read is hilarious. 27 better be a compelling RT or WR.

• Agree 1

On 4/8/2023 at 6:58 AM, Tipster19 said:

The more I think about it this makes the most sense. Imo the pressure is on Beane to make this draft work and fortifying Josh would be the best bet, whether it be a stud RB, a top tier WR or a OL to help solidify the trenches. To me it’s really between a stud RB or a mainstay OL because to hear Beane a top WR isn’t as important as one would think. 

Not having an abundance of draft picks this year I expect Beane to tap into the the 2024 draft resource to make this happen, either using a day 2 or 3 pick to move up in this year’s draft. Why not use a future draft pick when the heat is on now for a successful draft. If Beane comes up short this year he may not have to worry about next year’s draft. 

I haven't read anything where Beane says a' WR isn't important". He doesn't give anything away. 

On 4/11/2023 at 11:18 AM, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

My problem with trading up for an interior OL or OT is that there is still a chance that player doesn't live up to the expectations. Why not trade the 1st round pick for an already established RT or OG? If we do then trade Oliver if need be to clear up some space to fit him in.

I would hope we don't move up in the draft for a RB, we'd definitely be the only team in the NFL who's spent a 1st and 2nd round pick on a RB 2 years in a row. 

A WR makes sense especially if there's a certain player that Beane and the scouts have honed in on like Zay Flowers who looks electrifying or Addison whose an excellent route runner (Much like Diggs). 

I'd still prefer the Bills to stand pat and take the best interior OL who falls to them, I dont think the McGovern or Stewart signings prevent this at all. Steve Avila, O'Cyrus Torrence are my top 2.

Need the cheap labor - can’t afford to take on expensive veteran contracts.

On 4/11/2023 at 1:03 PM, Nihilarian said:

Rumor has it that it might be for a new center with that first and a trade-up in the second for an ILB. 

On 4/11/2023 at 1:28 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

trading up for a Center in the 1st would be sad.  I don't see the value. 

I read that post to mean we would stay put in the 1st and grab a Center, then trade up in the 2nd for a LB.

Agreed there is no Center in this draft worth trading up in the 1st for. No Nick Mangold, Pouncys, or even an Eric Wood. But some decent talent to grab at 27.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.