Good perspective on how good we were last year

BillsFan619

1 hour ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

During those 3 seasons? I guess I don't know, I give up.

Hint:

Compare the postseason games of those teams on the seasons that they finished 13-3 or better.

It'll come to you.

Just now, JaCrispy said:

‘22 was my least favorite season the last 3 years…

I can’t even watch highlights…

Definitely tough to stomach.  

2 hours ago, Augie said:

The people who are complaining must be Employee of the Month every month, and their kids are class valedictorians.  😋

I get it, the playoffs have been disappointing for us, just like for every team but one. It happens to be the Chiefs this year. I takes great play and peaking at the right time, plus a fair amount of luck to finish on top. It hasn’t been our turn yet, but I like where we stand and I’m looking forward to next season with high hopes. 

People keep saying it takes luck, but the Chiefs are literally always there in the end.   Before them, it was the Patriots.  

I do agree, to an extent.  Give us a healthy Von Miller/Micah Hyde and the Chiefs losing Chris Jones for the year and who knows how things play out.  

…. But at some point, luck/injuries can’t be the excuse when we just finished a dominant run by the Pats, only to usher in a new one by the Chiefs.   

Just now, SCBills said:

People keep saying it takes luck, but the Chiefs are literally always there in the end.   Before them, it was the Patriots.  

I do agree, to an extent.  Give us a healthy Von Miller/Micah Hyde and the Chiefs losing Chris Jones for the year and who knows how things play out.  

…. But at some point, luck/injuries can’t be the excuse when we just finished a dominant run by the Pats, only to usher in a new one by the Chiefs.   

The Patriots run is one of the greatest oddities in NFL history. It took a lot of things aligning for that to happen. That is why it is talked about. Using that as a comparison ALMOST borders on being disingenuous, but I don’t think that was your intent at all. It was just an anomaly. We shouldn’t argue “he’s no Bo Jackson” either. Who is? 

Will the Chiefs be the next dynasty? I doubt it. They have Mahomes, so that’s not a bad place to start, but Andy Reid is 65 and the Pats* were a 2 decade run. That’s unlikely to be seen again in the salary cap era IMO. 

The injuries we suffered last year, especially on the defensive side of the ball, felt like the worst luck possible. It almost became funny at some point. Luck and injuries are two different but related things. 

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Hint:

Compare the postseason games of those teams on the seasons that they finished 13-3 or better.

It'll come to you

Ok, I still don't get it.

2020 Packers 13-3, lost in the NFC Championship game. 2020 Bills 13-3, lost in the AFC Championship game. It's the same, except the Packers were the 1 seed playing at home, the Bills were playing on the road as the 2 seed, I don't see it. You tell me what's different.🤷‍♂️

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

There are more fans with CTE than players.

Lime, my man don’t be so hard on yourself.  😜🏈🦬

In all seriousness, 13-3 is a very good season following 11-6, 13-3, 10-6, a rebuild year and an end to the drought at 9-7, but we broke the drought.

I know so many are never happy until we win the SB for what seems like 6 times which is unrealistic.

McBeane has assembled some strong talent and coaching, but as I normally say this isn’t Madden.

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Au contraire, absolutely no one would be complaining of we won the Super Bowl after finishing 9-8.    

If we went 9-8 however, and we're ousted in the WC or D round of the playoffs, or missed the playoffs altogether, don't you think that with this roster and Allen at to he helm we'd have to consider that gross underachievement and point to coaching?

You're all over the map in terms of the argument.  Make an argument and stick with it man.  So going off on tangential arguments and points.  

NOWHERE in your post does it talk about going nine and eight and winning the Super Bowl

You’re not all over the place and your argument your argument is just awful through and through

1 hour ago, Augie said:

The Patriots run is one of the greatest oddities in NFL history. It took a lot of things aligning for that to happen. That is why it is talked about. Using that as a comparison ALMOST borders on being disingenuous, but I don’t think that was your intent at all. It was just an anomaly. We shouldn’t argue “he’s no Bo Jackson” either. Who is? 

Will the Chiefs be the next dynasty? I doubt it. They have Mahomes, so that’s not a bad place to start, but Andy Reid is 65 and the Pats* were a 2 decade run. That’s unlikely to be seen again in the salary cap era IMO. 

The injuries we suffered last year, especially on the defensive side of the ball, felt like the worst luck possible. It almost became funny at some point. Luck and injuries are two different but related things. 

Also keep on mind with the Pats is even with what, many believe, is the greatest HC & QB of all-time they went a whole decade between title #3 & title #4. All their Super Bowls were in the first 4 years and the last 6 years of Tom & Bill's 20 year run together.

There was nothing in the middle. That right there shows you not only do you have to be great, but the team needs tohbe healthy, peaking at the right time and depending on the team definitely some/lots of luck.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Figster said:

When you reach the playoffs you are about as good as the last game you play IMO.

Nah. By that measure the Super Bowl Bills were awful through most of those four years. And they weren't. They weren't quite the best, damn it, but they were excellent.

Doesn't make sense to judge by one game. It just doesn't.

Watch the games. Despite the record Bills were worse than the year before. They have regressed in the playoffs every year now. They have gone from losing in AFC Championship, to losing in division round on the road to losing in division round at home. 

None of that matters for 2023 but stop trying to spin that 2022 was anything but a massive disappointment  

9 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Elam started and Jackson split time with him.  I don't recall if they platooned or if Elam got dinged.  I think Benford was inactive.

Marlowe started at safety and went out about halfway through the game.  Jaquan Johnson replaced him.

Poyer went out and was replaced by Cam Lewis. - about 1/5 of the game.

So for about 1/5 of the game our secondary was Tre White, Dane Jackson,  Taron Johnson, Jaquan Johnson, and Cam Lewis.

The game was over after the second drive. 

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nah. By that measure the Super Bowl Bills were awful through most of those four years. And they weren't. They weren't quite the best, damn it, but they were excellent.

Doesn't make sense to judge by one game. It just doesn't.

They were a great AFC team, but they probably were not a top 5 NFL team all those years. The NFC was a much better conference. And they never faced the 49ers in the SuperBowl who may have been the best team in the NFL during that 4 year stretch.  Sadly there are parallels to this team's playoff performances.  The team is soft on the lines and especially on defense and they are routinely outcoached in the playoffs.

Edited by Ethan in Cleveland

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

There were some good highlights in the first 6-7 games, but I'll agree from that point on it was pretty rough.

Outside of the playoff games in 2021, the regular season was pretty much the same. Very few highlights after game 6 or 7. Many forget just how bad they were from that point on. Take Josh for an example....in 2021 through game 7 - 17 tds, 3 ints. From that point on 19 tds, 12 ints. And that was against a much weaker schedule. It was brutal and very similar to this year, but with better play in the playoffs. 

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

The common denominator with these two teams is the makeup of their qb’s. Both guys that are relentless in their pursuit of being the best. Brady has done it for 20yrs and now that torched has been passed to Mahomes. I read a report that Mahomes is holding a qb/receiver camp right now with his receivers. Doing this at this moment in the offseason while his contemporaries are enjoying their downtime. Not everyone can commit this kind of dedication. But that’s what separates him and Brady from everyone else. It isn’t luck. 

8 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

But per the media we have lost the off-season already and are out of our window…and Allen is past his prime apparwntly

Good! That kind of media dismissal did wonders for the Chiefs last season! Maybe it’ll have the same effect this year! 😂 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

Your point about KC being the key.  

To me, a great regular season means getting the 1 seed.  We have yet to do that. 

The 1 seed is the AFC is massive.  Not just a big deal … massive.  The one recent year KC didn’t get the 1, they were the 2, with the weakest 1 seed ever in Tennessee inevitably bowing out to give KC the de facto 1 in regards to home field. 

They won their first superbowl with Mahomes as a #2 as well. Balt was #1 and got upset by Tennessee. 

6 hours ago, Airseven said:

Why? How so? What exactly has he done to achieve this standard?

Com’on. I’m probably more critical of Allen than most on here but to say that he hasn’t earned this standard is ridiculous. You can see the talent whenever he steps on the field. 

What I don’t agree with is some people calling him a generational talent. It’s hard for him to be that when there’s a guy in his generation that’s doing a lot more. Allen is an elite qb tho. #2 to only 1 guy. That alone justifies championship aspirations. 

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I’ve never watched the highlights of the ‘21 loss to the Chiefs… Maybe one day I’ll relive that… I might wait until after they actually win a Championship…

Dont think I’ll ever revisit the 22 loss to the Bengals… that was just vomit…

11 hours ago, Figster said:

When you reach the playoffs you are about as good as the last game you play IMO.

yep. And it was a bad game all around unlike our loss the year prior. 

to me the frustrating thing is the window has closed in terms of it being the Bills and Chiefs as the contenders in the conference. Now it is the Bills, Chiefs, Bengals and probably two or three other teams in the AFC between the Jets, Dolphins, Jags and Chargers. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.