McDermott "officially" calling D plays

DrDawkinstein

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Then this makes the Frazier hiring and the entire last 5 years absolutely confusing and a seemingly huge management misalignment.

Crazy he couldnt influence Frazier to do that even a little bit then.

I truly hope we see that.

Although I do wonder how much of that came due to pressure from Reid being used to Jim Johnson, and the aggressive D background of Ron Rivera. Even stranger that he wouldnt carry that over to Frazier.

I guess we'll see! I'm here for it either way.

McDermott stated over and over and over again that it was Frazier's defense and playcalling. The only thing I see here is you were convinced it was McDermott's defense all along and can't come to grips that it wasn't. They call a totally different defense from each other. Like I said we will see next year, especially come playoff time, if we are better on that side of the ball or not. By far my biggest worry, now that Frazier is gone, is the OC not the DC.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Which was assumed. 

I’m really looking forward to this .

Yep. McD is a good defensive coach, and this takes away any delegating blame.  If it goes well, he buys a little more respect from the fans and he'll have a full offseason to make a quality DC happen, before meats picked off the bones.

But so help me God, if that happens and Leslie comes back, this place will melt dooooooown

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Ultimately it's McD's job on the line. A fact I think he is well aware of given what happened with Frazer. Giving Frazier the nod into next year, same result, sure, he might have survived, but it would be barely. Which is somewhat hard to fathom given his level of success. Carolina produced some good pass rushing years when he was there. They ranked in lower percentile in total blitzes, but when they did blitz they had a lot of success. I don't think most of us would take issue with his system so long as it was a little more calibrated to the situation and the team. I also don't think he has much involvement in the offense (just guessing, how do we really know?). I imagine he plays a role in clock management and timing, perhaps general play call strategy, but I never saw him in the offenses play calls on a down by down basis.  

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Exactly, and that's why in his 6th year, Reid had TWO offensive coordinators in Marty Mornhinweg and Brad Childress to manage the offense and call plays.

We are both making assumptions here, in a limited sample size SM has done well when taking over those duties, he has lots of quality help in staff already on the payroll, so until he shows he is as inflexible in scheme/adjustments as LF, I’m good with it. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I put "officially" in quotes because McD gives more great coach-speak saying "the current plan". That can always change later.

Starting a new thread on this since it has been rumored and discussed, but I've never seen it out of McD's mouth like this.

IMO, not great. It may be an improvement over Frazier, but I'm not a fan of Head Coaches calling plays. Seems like the boss is wasting time doing other peoples' jobs.

Yea, but it’s only for a year???!

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dunno.

If I'm Terry and this is the best McD can come up with this year, I'm thinking "Then why am I paying you HC wages if you are just a DC? As HC, why cant you build a staff properly?"

But I do agree with the accountability aspect. Again, if I'm Terry I'm also thinking "Ok, but any drop off or disappointment by the Defense puts you on the hot seat"

It’s fairly common for head coaches to call plays and most of the very good ones outside of Tomlin do it. 

3 out of 4 remaining coaches in the championship games this year called plays. (Reid, Taylor, Shanahan)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And was fully focused on game management, and reviews, and time outs, and situational football like a HC? Yes.

Hopefully he delegates some of the simple stuff elsewhere. Id rather have him handling the defense than things like timeouts/reviews, things anyone competent could do.  I realize these are only a small part of his job, but simple delegations should go to the help

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I wouldn't have minded promoting someone from inside and I wouldnt have minded him hiring on the open market. My preference has been that he continue focusing on head coach responsibilities.

I would’ve despised hiring from inside.  

I understand wanting him to concentrate on his HC responsibilities.

i just think that he got the job because of his ability to call plays on D and his ability with X’s and O’s.  His defense run by Frazier has always let us down on the biggest stage in January.  I don’t see how someone else will get the results that McD is looking for.  Especially a rookie play caller.  I think that would’ve been an EPIC fail.  Leaving him as the only choice.  OT may cost him his job…. But another Lombardi-less season may have done the same.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Yep. McD is a good defensive coach, and this takes away any delegating blame.  If it goes well, he buys a little more respect from the fans and he'll have a full offseason to make a quality DC happen, before meats picked off the bones.

But so help me God, if that happens and Leslie comes back, this place will melt dooooooown

If it goes well we may see a DC named, but I would think McDermott would continue to call the plays.

6 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Yeah….. I definitely don’t see Frazier returning to Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

To be fair he said "calling the defense inadequately" not that the defense has been inadequate.

Seems like you're splitting hairs there.  When outside of the playoff losses was the "calling of the defense" inadequate?

People take for granted Frazier's developing and executing the blueprint for Baltimore's demise.

If it wasn't for the ugly looking playoff loss defenses, I think Frazier would still be here.  I like the idea of McDermott taking over because I would like to see a more aggressive approach.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewEra said:

Yeah….. I definitely don’t see Frazier returning to Buffalo. 

I agree, and this "announcement" makes it clear that The Bills/Pegula/McD wanted to move on from Frazier and gave him a way of not getting officially fired.

I also agree that McD is for sure the best DC on the team.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Seems like you're splitting hairs there.  When outside of the playoff losses was the "calling of the defense" inadequate?

People take for granted Frazier's developing and executing the blueprint for Baltimore's demise.

If it wasn't for the ugly looking playoff loss defenses, I think Frazier would still be here.  I like the idea of McDermott taking over because I would like to see a more aggressive approach.

This is the point I am trying to make, maybe I'm not making it well

If McDermott wants to call a more aggressive defense then by definition Frazier was calling it inadequately 

McD has plans to change the D, I think that’s becoming more and more obvious. If we had retained Edmunds they might have just tweaked it, but with Tremaine gone and no one with his athletic traits available to take that role, McD is taking the opportunity to change things up big time. 

I expect we are going to see a Big Dime package with 3 safeties on the field, our standard Nickle package but the responsibilities will be adjusted, and more varied blitzes from different angles. 

After a year of tweaking it during the season I’d expect him to name a DC in 2024 but who knows, he may just keep the play calling if it goes well.

I’m just glad we aren’t running back the exact same scheme that’s getting stale and is in need of some adjusting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I put "officially" in quotes because McD gives more great coach-speak saying "the current plan". That can always change later.

Starting a new thread on this since it has been rumored and discussed, but I've never seen it out of McD's mouth like this.

IMO, not great. It may be an improvement over Frazier, but I'm not a fan of Head Coaches calling plays. Seems like the boss is wasting time doing other peoples' jobs.

Andy Reid calls plays

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.