Bills sign Damien Harris

aristocrat

1 minute ago, Success said:

That's the one thing I noticed from the comments of Pats fans online.  In general, they didn't do the usual "he was no good anyway" thing that fans do when they lose a player. They generally thought this was a great pick up for the Bills.

But they said he was a clear indicator of a running play when he was in, since he is not much of a pass catcher.  

But he's decent in pass protect, so run a play action and keep him in to block. Trick the D and help keep Josh clean. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

That's the one thing I noticed from the comments of Pats fans online.  In general, they didn't do the usual "he was no good anyway" thing that fans do when they lose a player. They generally thought this was a great pick up for the Bills.

But they said he was a clear indicator of a running play when he was in, since he is not much of a pass catcher.  

Can’t sneeze at a guy who got 15 tds in a season. Definitely a better pure rusher than DS but way less versatile.

I still don’t know why it is so hard for this front office, who does so much right, to find a legit stud back. They have devoted more resources than a lot of teams. Eklar wasn’t even drafted. 

7 minutes ago, Success said:

Sounds like a perfect setup for some play action.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SCBills said:

That's life with an elite QB.  

The Von Miller & Tre White contracts are the only really potentially arduous contracts on this team.. and much of that is due to us hoping they can be 90% of what they were pre-injury moving forward. 

Kansas City manages to get it done, but they are a well-run organization with a superior roster vision.  So much so that they entered the 2023 off-season as defending SB champions with 14M in cap space.   

Of course, it requires bold moves to accomplish of which trading Tyreek Hill was one.  I vividly remember people here claiming that KC would not be nearly as good the following season.  So much for that. 

The built-in excuse that having a franchise QB makes roster development exceedingly difficult is absurd.  Economy of resources is the key, and the Bills waste assets on RB's, middling DL, and other overpaid UFAs.  I'm glad to see more people here begin to doubt the PR efforts of McBeane who, backed into a corner, are offering weak responses as to why they can't fly with the best AFC teams.    

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Success said:

Actually his pass catch rate when thrown to was quite high. It’s just that the Pats used him as a runner more than pass catcher. I suspect he’ll see a few more passes his way as a Bill.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Kansas City manages to get it done, but they are a well-run organization with a superior roster vision.  So much so that they entered the 2023 off-season as defending SB champions with 14M in cap space.   

Of course, it requires bold moves to accomplish of which trading Tyreek Hill was one.  I vividly remember people here claiming that KC would not be nearly as good the following season.  So much for that. 

The built-in excuse that having a franchise QB makes roster development exceedingly difficult is absurd.  Economy of resources is the key, and the Bills waste assets on RB's, middling DL, and other overpaid UFAs.  I'm glad to see more people here begin to doubt the PR efforts of McBeane who, backed into a corner, are offering weak responses as to why they can't fly with the best AFC teams.    

Won't argue there..  Veach & Reid are the best GM/HC duo in the NFL.  

Not just trading Tyreek Hill, but also letting their top Safety and CB1 walk in the same off-season.  

They replaced them with draft picks and made sure Mahomes had the best OL in the AFC, along with Kelce and enough weapons at WR to be dangerous. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Yeah, I agree that KC has a "superior roster vision."   I think they've proved that by winning two of the past four SBs.  They're the current champions of roster building.  

And, yet, I'm thankful for Beane and McD.  We win more than we lose with those two.   They've transformed an irrelevant NFL franchise into contenders.  And I've never heard them use Josh's salary as an excuse.  They're pretty good at taking accountability and not making excuses.

But I do think Beane needs to get better for us to starting winning Super Bowls.  It's frustrating to have so many needs and so few resources.  

45 minutes ago, Success said:

Or play-action pass…

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Not just trading Tyreek Hill, but also letting their top Safety and CB1 walk in the same off-season.  

They replaced them with draft picks and made sure Mahomes had the best OL in the AFC, along with Kelce and enough weapons at WR to be dangerous. 

Haha, this is complete revisionist history. If they didn’t have Pat Mahomes, they won’t have won the SB and would have be called morons for trading Hill and replacing him with scrubs. 

reid is an awesome coach. Their GM is good. Pat Mahomes elevates that entire team. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10046163-chiefs-win-loss-predictions-for-2022-nfl-season.amp.html

https://amp.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article270689862.html

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha, this is complete revisionist history. If they didn’t have Pat Mahomes, they won’t have won the SB and would have be called morons for trading Hill and replacing him with scrubs. 

reid is an awesome coach. Their GM is good. Pat Mahomes elevates that entire team. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10046163-chiefs-win-loss-predictions-for-2022-nfl-season.amp.html

https://amp.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article270689862.html

Sure, simp harder..

I'll take Allen or Burrow to put up massive numbers with Reid, an elite OL, elite TE and MVS, Juju, Toney, Moore etc..,

That's more than we've ever given Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Honestly don’t care for this.

Why did we need strictly a runner - he offers nothing in the passing game.  

Against an Allen offense you should be worried about every weapon on the field. 

Perhaps the Bengals game in inclement weather gives some insight into the signing.... 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Sure, simp harder..

I'll take Allen or Burrow to put up massive numbers with Reid, an elite OL, elite TE and MVS, Juju, Toney, Moore etc..,

That's more than we've ever given Allen. 

I feel that if Josh would've taken the easier, shorter pass instead of forcing the deep shots things would've been different for the offense. I remember Mahomes having the same problem prior to last season 

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They replace their safety in FA by doling out their biggest FA contract of the offseason 

26 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Yeah, I agree that KC has a "superior roster vision."   I think they've proved that by winning two of the past four SBs.  They're the current champions of roster building.  

And, yet, I'm thankful for Beane and McD.  We win more than we lose with those two.   They've transformed an irrelevant NFL franchise into contenders.  And I've never heard them use Josh's salary as an excuse.  They're pretty good at taking accountability and not making excuses.

But I do think Beane needs to get better for us to starting winning Super Bowls.  It's frustrating to have so many needs and so few resources.  

Time will tell...have to hope McBeane learn from mistakes and correct themselves.  

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

One thing I know is...Belichick was nothing without Brady.  Right, CB?  I kid, I kid.  ;)

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

You hit the nail on the head.  You wouldn't break the bank for them and neither will Beane, or any other NFL GM.  OBJ is not signed because no team is willing to pay what he's asking for, given his injury history, age, and perhaps his (arguably) disruptive personality.  The longer he goes unsigned, the lower the price tag.  As far as I know, Hopkins is still under contract with the Cardinals, so adding him not only costs a high salary, it also costs assets to acquire the player.  This is why the Bills have signed less-well-known guys like Harty and Sherfield and not big names like OBJ and Hopkins.

In my opinion, more OL help is much more important than more WR help at this point.  I'd be happy with a talented young WR in the early rounds of the draft, but I also think that if Allen has plenty of time to throw and the Bills are able to run the ball effectively, the offense will be fine with the WR room as it is.  I'm not opposed to adding WR talent if it can be acquired and there's always room for improvement, I don't see it as the biggest need.  OL is a bigger need.  And they also need a starting-caliber linebacker to replace Edmunds. 

I agree with all that 

Singletary's number came out same day at 1/$3.75M

Poyer's took a couple days and was much lower than folks thought it might be. Half of Spotrac's valuation.

Sherfield's took a day and is now reported at 1/$1.77M

Harris' number still sitting out there. The longer it goes, the closer it gets to Sherfield :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If what you're saying is indeed accurate with regards to Beane going BPA true to his board, then we have major issues in the scouting department putting the big boards together. Especially looking at Basham over Humphrey.

I dont think he has gone with pure BPA as much as he, like almost every other team, goes BPA at position of need.

I think that is evidenced by Beane trading up 2 picks to get Elam in an act of semi-desperation right after watching McDuffie (his true target) go off the board and there not being many CBs with 1st round grades left. He traded up to 23 to get the best player left at a position of immediate need instead of staying at 25 and taking BPA.

Granted, none of us are in the war room and certainly not in Beane's head, so we're just guessing. But this is how the situation read to me as it played out.

BPA isn't literally ranking players from 1-300+ and picking the highest rated player on your board...

You grade players, and those grades put them into groups...usually rounds or something similar. Then, things like needs, scarcity, positional value, and even personal preference come into play. If you have 20 first round grades and you pick 25, you have a choice to make...you can either trade into the top 20 to take a first round graded player, or let it ride and hope one you need makes it to you. If you let it ride and either A) no first round guys make it or B) the guy(s) that do don't make sense for your team or C) Lots of guys are still left in that tier, then you trade back and acquire more picks whenever possible. Sometimes, you don't have a partner and you are forced to either reach or take a guy that doesn't fit your team...that's the definition of using your pick poorly.

BPA is about picking someone worthy of your draft slot...not literally picking the highest graded guy on your board.

Edited by Mikey152

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.