Under the Radar Free Agency Sleepers

MrEpsYtown

I'd like to see what Andre Dillard would look like at LG.  He would have been the starting LT for the Eagles if not for Jordan Mailata turning into one of the best LTs in the game out of nowhere.  Not a lot of tape on him, but possibly if given the opportunity it could be his time to shine.  Only down side is, he has trouble playing on the right side.  He was a first round pick that was hurt his first year and never made it back onto the field.  

Also, add Marquez Callaway.  He's a RFA for the cash strapped Saints.  Tender a low round pick for his services.  He looked like a up and coming player in 2021.  Good size, speed and low risk, high reward. 

Edited by YodaMan79
Added a player

7 minutes ago, YodaMan79 said:

I'd like to see what Andre Dillard would look like at LG.  He would have been the starting LT for the Eagles if not for Jordan Mailata turning into one of the best LTs in the game out of nowhere.  Not a lot of tape on him, but possibly if given the opportunity it could be his time to shine.  Only down side is, he has trouble playing on the right side.  He was a first round pick that was hurt his first year and never made it back onto the field.  

Kind of goes back to the issue of proposing to move Dawkins to OG. Convincing a guy to play a different position that pays significantly less money is a tough sell. 

I hear you.  I'm not up to speed on the financials, is starting G money on par with a backup tackle?  With his limited field time since 19, would any team really put up starting T money? Problem is, when Lane Johnson was hurt for an extended period of time a couple of years ago, they tried him at RT.  He was atrocious on that side of the ball.  His footwork, hands, everything was off.  He's not a versatile OL, maybe that could work in the Bills favor? 

Edited by YodaMan79

26 minutes ago, YodaMan79 said:

Also, add Marquez Callaway.  He's a RFA for the cash strapped Saints.  Tender a low round pick for his services.  He looked like a up and coming player in 2021.  Good size, speed and low risk, high reward. 

I also would like Dillard on a flyer but are the Bills willing to move Dawkins to LG. Dawkins would be the 6th highest Guard in the league as it stands right now 

Dillard was relegated to backup guard duty, maybe the ability to compete for T spot and the soft media in WNY would be attractive.  From an outside perspective, the shot of a starting role anywhere (G/T) should hold merit. Kid is kind of sensitive.  He was crying on the field during his first training camp.  Have the coaches determine who's the better LT in OTAs and camp.  The way this line played, no one deserves to be penciled in as a starter at any position.  

Edited by YodaMan79

4 hours ago, YodaMan79 said:

Dillard was relegated to backup guard duty, maybe the ability to compete for T spot and the soft media in WNY would be attractive.  From an outside perspective, the shot of a starting role anywhere (G/T) should hold merit. Kid is kind of sensitive.  He was crying on the field during his first training camp.  Have the coaches determine who's the better LT in OTAs and camp.  The way this line played, no one deserves to be penciled in as a starter at any position.  

Yeah he is the exact opposite of what we need. Charmin soft, can’t run block. I want no piece of him. I hated him pre-draft and still don’t like him! He looks the part but he doesn’t have it. 

4 hours ago, YodaMan79 said:

I like the Callaway idea. He definitely has some upside. I wonder if they even tender him. Deonte Hardy is interesting as well. 

• Agree 1

I hear you MrEpsYtown.  My thinking is, the OL coaching under Jeff Stoutland is so good compared to the rest of league, maybe this kid picked up something?  Wishful thinking, possibly?  But you have to hit on some unpolished gems to round-out an upper tier roster .  If they hit on two studs lineman this draft, it gives them a lot of options. 

Yes, Hardy looked like a player with high upside in 21, as well.  They both averaged over 15 YPC.  

***Edit: Oh my! Spotrac has his estimated per-year value at 8.5 million.  Not sure how they calculate that, but that puts him out of the question. 

I love these more realistic threads.  When you look at spotrac, it becomes abundantly clear the contenders get a lot of production from sub $3 million dollar players on the roster. 

Edited by YodaMan79
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/10/2023 at 8:51 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

We all like to talk about the big-name expensive free agents. One of the things that I always find interesting is talking hidden UFA gems that could help our team. 

Alexander Mattison - RB - This guy is a big 5'11", 220-high cut back who runs for power and was a great complement to Davin Cook in Minnesota. He's only 24 and so there is a ton of tread left on those tires as he has been in a job share most of his career so far. He doesn't have the breakaway speed, but the dude runs hard. You are looking at something like 2 million per for a guy of his ability. Dude ran a slow 40 at the combine. He does not look slow when you watch him in the game. I think he fits well with James Cook as a short-yardage change-of-pace guy. 

Justin Watson - WR - Ivy league receiver, 6-2, 215, he has been a depth player for Tampa and KC and made some very clutch, acrobatic catches this year for KC when guys were out. Obviously a smart player. Ran a 4.4 at the combine, a huge vert, long arms, and big hands. Caches everything. He also plays special teams for the Chiefs. I think he would be a sneaky good signing. There is a ton of potential there. 

Rasheem Greene - DE - This guy was compared to Carlos Dunlap coming out. He is long and has some bend and former third-round pick of the Seahawks. He put up 3.5 sacks in a part-time role for the Texans, but as a former 5-star recruit who has dealt with some injuries, I think there could be some lightning in the bottle. Fits the mold of a McDermott end and he can also rush on the inside. 

Coleman Shelton - IOL - This dude bounced around the league a bit before he found a home in LA. He is not technically a free agent but has a payer option opt-out. After having a nice year filling in for injured players at both center and guard, he may be looking for a more lucrative deal than what he signed last year. He has played some meaningful snaps for the rams. Like Austin Corbett and David Edwards, Shelton is a guy Aaron Kromer targeted and developed. 

Kaden Ellis - LB - Ellis is another late bloomer type coming out of Idaho, but is all over the field for NO. 6-2, 240, he can cover and rush the passer. He has really good football instincts and reminds me of Matt Milano a bit. He has NFL bloodlines as the son of former Lion DL Luther Ellis. There is something there and I think he could be an interesting fit as our mike if Tremaine is indeed gone. Again, I am not sure if he will cost a ton, but he is a player that looks like he has a ton of potential in a full-time role. 

Anyone else have any sleeper Free agents we should discuss? Please share!

I love most of these players great list. D’Onta Foreman should be included as well. I think Foreman can be 1500yd rusher for the Bills. 

52 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I wonder if Olamide Zachheaus would be a good pickup for the Bills?

Seems like a steady veteran who has improved every season, and is only 26. 

He's got questionable hands but he's on my short list of affordable veteran slot WRs. He does have some speed to burn though.

I would love to see the Bills make a run at Chauncey Gardner-Johnson or Byron Murphy as a corner convert. My gut, based on nothing, tells me they go after Juan Thornhill. Gardner Johnson and Thornhill were Bills pre-draft visitors in 2019. Here are a couple of more under-the-radar guys: 

Will Harris -DB- Another 2019 pre-draft visitor, Harris out of BC took a while to kind of find his role with the Lion. He is very versatile, playing all over the secondary, outside, nickel, and safety. Might there be something there with a full-time move to safety. 6-1, 207 with 4.41 speed, I could see them going this way. Again he would probably be a cheap add with some upside. He makes plays and stays healthy. A former teammate of Matt Milano, he was definitely hurt by starting his career in the Matt Patricia regime. 

Joejuan Williams -DB- I think he can convert to safety. Really considered a bust in New England, but perhaps a switch to safety and some of that McDermott DB dust might turn him into something. He had a nice career at Vandy and the Bills liked him pre-draft. 6-4, 211 with 32inch arms, he could be a very cheap competition add after missing 2022 with an injury. Would be kind of similar to the Poyer add coming off an injury.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Last one: 

John Cominsky -DL- Lions DE who played all over the line and just made plays. Tremendous run-stopper who can get to the QB. Small school guy who had a mini breakout, he's a base end with some Trey Hendrickson kind of potential as a pass rusher. He blew up the combine a few years ago, but teh Falcons waived him as he was a weird fit in their new 3-4 defense. He's the kind of versatile defensive lineman this regime typically likes. If you watched a Lions game last year and wondered who the heck #79 was, the guy who was all over the field making plays with an excessive motor, that's Cominsky.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yosh Nijman from the Packers might be a guy, he didn't do much he's first two years but been their RT the last two. I think he can at least compete with Spencer Brown but he's been a two year starter in Green Bay and can play both sides so at worst he's our backup swing tackle. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/10/2023 at 10:46 AM, DeltaDigital said:

yea, sleepers got us quessenberry, an ancient saffold and settle. only sleeper that was worth a ***** was daquon jones. 1-4 isnt a HOF batting average. 

Hall of Fame GM's are evaluated on their win loss record but by one season of sleeper free agent signings.

52 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Last one: 

John Cominsky -DL- Lions DE who played all over the line and just made plays. Tremendous run-stopper who can get to the QB. Small school guy who had a mini breakout, he's a base end with some Trey Hendrickson kind of potential as a pass rusher. He blew up the combine a few years ago, but teh Falcons waived him as he was a weird fit in their new 3-4 defense. He's the kind of versatile defensive lineman this regime typically likes. If you watched a Lions game last year and wondered who the heck #79 was, the guy who was all over the field making plays with an excessive motor, that's Cominsky.  

This is exactly the type of guy McDermott likes.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/10/2023 at 7:51 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

We all like to talk about the big-name expensive free agents. One of the things that I always find interesting is talking hidden UFA gems that could help our team. 

Alexander Mattison - RB - This guy is a big 5'11", 220-high cut back who runs for power and was a great complement to Davin Cook in Minnesota. He's only 24 and so there is a ton of tread left on those tires as he has been in a job share most of his career so far. He doesn't have the breakaway speed, but the dude runs hard. You are looking at something like 2 million per for a guy of his ability. Dude ran a slow 40 at the combine. He does not look slow when you watch him in the game. I think he fits well with James Cook as a short-yardage change-of-pace guy. 

Justin Watson - WR - Ivy league receiver, 6-2, 215, he has been a depth player for Tampa and KC and made some very clutch, acrobatic catches this year for KC when guys were out. Obviously a smart player. Ran a 4.4 at the combine, a huge vert, long arms, and big hands. Caches everything. He also plays special teams for the Chiefs. I think he would be a sneaky good signing. There is a ton of potential there. 

Rasheem Greene - DE - This guy was compared to Carlos Dunlap coming out. He is long and has some bend and former third-round pick of the Seahawks. He put up 3.5 sacks in a part-time role for the Texans, but as a former 5-star recruit who has dealt with some injuries, I think there could be some lightning in the bottle. Fits the mold of a McDermott end and he can also rush on the inside. 

Coleman Shelton - IOL - This dude bounced around the league a bit before he found a home in LA. He is not technically a free agent but has a payer option opt-out. After having a nice year filling in for injured players at both center and guard, he may be looking for a more lucrative deal than what he signed last year. He has played some meaningful snaps for the rams. Like Austin Corbett and David Edwards, Shelton is a guy Aaron Kromer targeted and developed. 

Kaden Ellis - LB - Ellis is another late bloomer type coming out of Idaho, but is all over the field for NO. 6-2, 240, he can cover and rush the passer. He has really good football instincts and reminds me of Matt Milano a bit. He has NFL bloodlines as the son of former Lion DL Luther Ellis. There is something there and I think he could be an interesting fit as our mike if Tremaine is indeed gone. Again, I am not sure if he will cost a ton, but he is a player that looks like he has a ton of potential in a full-time role. 

Anyone else have any sleeper Free agents we should discuss? Please share!

First of all, Big Props to ya for putting up some great content.

Not a fan of signing Mattison.  Unless I'm missing something and we improve the OL Big Time, he sounds like Zach Moss Part Deux to me.  The problem being, unless the OL massively changes, the Bills need a guy who is fast enough to run outside the tackles to get much out of him.

Justin Watson intrigues me, although he had a hard time hanging on to the ball (44% catch %) but I think that was lowered by his willingness to go after balls with his long arms.  A fast 27 yr old WR with some growth potential who plays ST to replace a 31 year old WR who plays ST with a bad back and bad ankle (Kumerow)

Kaden Ellis is also an intriguing find.  He sounds like the kind of guy McDermott loves.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Last one: 

This is for sure the kind of guy McDermott likes

21 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I love most of these players great list. D’Onta Foreman should be included as well. I think Foreman can be 1500yd rusher for the Bills. 

No chance with James Cook on the roster 

21 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

He's got questionable hands but he's on my short list of affordable veteran slot WRs. He does have some speed to burn though.

?

Overall good catch %, very low drops.  I don't watch the Falcons though, what do you see?

I like his YAC stats

On 3/11/2023 at 6:50 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

They both suck in pass pro.   6 sacks isn't good by any means.   After 11 games this season Saffold was crowing that he hadn't allowed a sack per PFF.   He ended up only allowing 2 on 1058 snaps.   You saw how terrible he was.    Everyone thinks Spencer Brown was impossibly bad and he only allowed 4 sacks on 858 snaps per PFF.  

There aren't many good RT's because there doesn't need to be.   The focus by fans on trying to improve RT position with a big name is misguided.   You can have a good OL with a not good RT.   The quality of blockers is most important at LT and the guard positions.    RT's can be helped by TE and RB's chipping and the QB can see the rusher coming if he is right handed.   Centers aren't tasked with a lot of single blocking on passing downs anymore either.

Whelp the defending Super Bowl champions have decided Taylor is good enough for them, and protecting Mahomes.

but you know better

Just now, RocCityRoller said:

Whelp the defending Super Bowl champions have decided Taylor is good enough for them, and protecting Mahomes.

but you know better

To defend him Taylor was bad before this season and he still wasn’t great. Chiefs are banking on the player they can coach him up to be more than the play he has shown to this point 

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

To defend him Taylor was bad before this season and he still wasn’t great. Chiefs are banking on the player they can coach him up to be more than the play he has shown to this point 

Yeah i agree. And i think they just see a guy with freakishly long arms like Brown and assume Mahomes will get rid of the ball quick. 

4 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

but you know better

So you wanted to pay $20M for a RT?  

The Chiefs are rolling the dice that his game will elevate up to LT level........but he is a big step down from the 2020 Orlando Brown they acquired.........who was an actually dominant RT in Baltimore and who had also proven himself at LT that season.

I think "grass is just greener on other side" types like you should recognize that the Bills have a RT with a very high ceiling as well.   

• Eyeroll 1

On 3/10/2023 at 2:58 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Good job finding Kumerow 2.0…. Slam dunk 

I confused That minny RB with Cook a couple time watching him because he seems to hit the hole the same way. Had some big games when given touches. 

I wonder if a guy like this has a huge price point difference vs Singletary… 

this was a compliment? lol

On 3/11/2023 at 1:44 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

A few more…

Scotty Miller -WR-  Runs in the 4.3s and has shown off that speed in games. He catches the ball and has had some very good games in the past in which he kind of took over. He is coming off a bit of a down year. Looked like he could bust out and it just didn’t happen. 

Mitchell Wilcox -TE- He finally came around a bit this year with the Bengals. The just non tendered him and it seems some people feel it’s a bit of a controversial decision. He doesn’t really standout in any of his physical traits, but made some clutch plays for the Bengals this year. Perfect #2 type guy.  

Evan Brown -IOL- Mainly a center but can also play guard. I think he is interesting because of his outstanding RAS score coming out of SMU. He was pretty good filling in for an injured Frank Ragnow in 2021. Good depth and competition. 

Connor McGovern -IOL- I talked a lot about the Jets version, this is the cowboys one from Penn State. He played well in spots but Dallas never turned things over to him full time, I am not sure why. But I think there is something there. He can play center and guard and I think he has potentially as a starting guard. Still just 25, he is a former linemate of Ryan Bates at PSU. 6-5, 320, with long arms, he fits the profile, while he isn’t the athletic freak they usually seek

You nailed the McGovern pick.  Congrats. Now let’s get the others. I also feel like Poyer might come back, might. Looking like a Milano deal, test the market, play for a crappy team for 10% more or come back home! Go Bills.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.