Per Shefty - Bills “expected to lose” Poyer and Edmunds

BeastMode54

20 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

He is. The overpaying is only gonna get crazier. All these guards people on here want who say their market value is like 7M per year.....these guys are gonna get 12M or more per year. Seamalu, Powers, Risner, Davis.....watch.

It happens every year.  Lots of fans wanting these players and then they sign with another team for big money.

The answer is "they were crazy to sign "player x" for that"!  Well sorry, that is the FA game.

It's what makes cap management so hard for every GM.

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

NFL free agency is hard to predict. I would have predicted a guard like Alex Cappa who was a starting guard for 3 seasons including being on a Super Bowl-winning team while grading out very highly at age 27 would have gotten a 10+ million dollar contract. He signed for 8.75 million aav. Not cheap but not some massive contract either. 

Hopefully we can land one of the 3 ( not a fan of Powers bc of weak run blocking) somewhere in the middle but I'm bracing for the worst.

On 3/8/2023 at 4:18 PM, BillsFan130 said:

Edmunds isn’t a flashy player. So how would they know if he’s good or not unless they watched every bills game?

I think the media portrays Edmunds as a “good” player and he’s a relatively “big name”. 

Us bills fans have watched him for 5 years and we still can’t come to a consensus whether he’s good or not haha 

I have watched him and think he is a very good player primarily in pass defense 

21 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

Short term it will hurt.  I actually see this as an opportunity for Beane to re-tool the roster and make it better.  Edmunds is good not great imo.  If Edmunds does leave, which I believe is best for Bills, it offers some opportunity to sign an Oline guy, WR, and a stop gap LB.  Draft a LB, WR, and OL.

Long term is rosy if they draft a good inside LB.  A stud OG and a competent WR to build on.  Reload with Allen at QB.   I am optimistic.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I did not say it was all Edmunds fault.  Obviously not the case.  But I certainly would not pay him upwards of $15 million/year to be a decent player at best.  

He’s better than decent. He’s an absolute force dropping into coverage against the pass. Don’t believe me? Tune in this September.

Edited by Beast

10 minutes ago, Beast said:

He’s better than decent. He’s an absolute force dropping into coverage against the pass. Don’t believe me? Tune in this September.

Everyone who shares your opinion....pls tell me why Beane won't pay him like a Tier 1 MLB then?

I'm not a Edmunds hater, but realistically think he's a Tier 2 guy (likely around 10 best).  

Beane pays his top-end players...Allen, Diggs, Tre, Milano, Dawkins, etc...  It's an indictment on how they view Tremaine, if he's not resigned... plenty of ways to free up cap/spread Maines cap hit

21 minutes ago, Beast said:

Beast I think he needs you as his agent.  But don't show prospective teams him trying to cover Travis Kelce, because it will not look too good.

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Beast said:

I disagree, but fine, let’s accept your premise..

September isn’t January, and in January he hasn’t been a difference maker.  

You don’t pay dudes that don’t make a difference when the lights get bright. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Hopefully we can land one of the 3 ( not a fan of Powers bc of weak run blocking) somewhere in the middle but I'm bracing for the worst.

I think the Bills can land a top 3 guard for around 9.5 million aav which I would be happy with. If the Bills do all the restructuring they can they should have some good space to work with not crazy amounts but if they get Hines to take a modest pay cut and restructure what they can and do some cap magic they could have between 40-50 million in cap space depending on if they want to extend Oliver, cut Tim Settle and work out some other deals and restructures. 

I can't see the Bills getting multiple big pieces like some people want to sign a top 3 guard and a top-end RT. That's simply not doable. But one big ticket item to plug a big hole is possible while still having enough to spread around some mid-level and lower mid-level contracts to other ends of the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

if roquan smith got 100 million, then Edmunds is going to get probably 20 million more.

good for him, I don't blame him for leaving and getting his bread. I wouldn't pay him anything close to roquan. 

I’m not sure I agree with this statement because Roquan Smith is one of the best linebackers in the league but who knows maybe you’re right because of Edmunds age and upside

21 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Guess people should have noticed when he did. But many didn't.

Again, when Edmunds was on the field this year we were  the #4 pass defense. When he was off the field, #27.

That Vikings game was when it really showed. The D was playing really well. Tremaine got injured and after that the whole D was really bad. The difference was stark.

I'm not fearful of change. But I'm also not a dullard. Some changes work out really well. Others cause huge problems and reduce efficiency and performance.

Denying that change often causes major regression is ignoring reality.

The reason that Tremaine and Poyer have a chance to make huge bucks is real simple. They're extremely good players. And Edmunds is both really realy good and really young. Losing a player like that is a huge blow. They'll be replaced (assuming they are actually leaving). It is likely to cause regression, particularly early, but really lasting a while.

But this is where Coaches define themselves  ala Andy Reid. Adjusting to player changes, Because it happens every year to every team, and you cant fight it

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/8/2023 at 12:01 PM, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

We’re gonna miss Tremaine more than most think.  Good thing McBeane drafted his replacement last year 🙄

I cant wait till Bernard blows this boards richards into their neighboring counties next year. We red shirted a guy with instincts, athleticism and intangibles, so that he could get a year in NFL S&C, pack on quality weight and hit the ground running in 2023. 

Anybody can buy into Apple shares @ 150 a pop, hold it for a season, then clap their own hands when it hits 175 the year after

Beane had some GME visions with his 2022 3rd rounder.  "tRaDe HiM fOr A 7tH", paper-hand city in here 😆

image.thumb.png.1e0f31c0e5d7a0862156f5bb8564136d.png

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The last game changing play Edmunds made was in 2019 when he sacked Mayfield for a safety…. That was 3 years ago. They’ll be fine without him and the money is better served else where(like offensive line or WR).

Ok, sure.. but are you just going to dismiss how he affects the throwing lanes and vision of bad/mid QB’s in November?..

Edited by SCBills
  • Haha (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Not the 21 million a year figure that fan club was anticipating? 🤔 

At that 15 million area I’d still be in on him. Interested to see what his market is. Really fascinating. A unicorn at an undervalued position whose original team doesn’t seem to be trying to keep. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I cant wait till Bernard blows this boards richards into their neighboring counties next year. We red shirted a guy with instincts, athleticism and intangibles, so that he could get a year in NFL S&C, pack on quality weight and hit the ground running in 2023. 

Anybody can buy into Apple shares @ 150 a pop, hold it for a season, then clap their own hands when it hits 175 the year after

Beane had some GME visions with his 2022 3rd rounder.  "tRaDe HiM fOr A 7tH", paper-hand city in here 😆

image.thumb.png.1e0f31c0e5d7a0862156f5bb8564136d.png

Chiefs had 5 rookies making huge plays in the Super Bowl and you’re talking about redshirts and RAS scores 😂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.