So Who will our next DC be? Tracker Links

PrimeTime101

9 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I could see it being Al Holcomb, Eric Washington or John Butler if they go with someone on staff.

When I look back now I think when Holcomb was hired it was done knowing Frazier wouldn’t be on staff this season. Was Holcomb hired to be DC in waiting? Or was he hired with the intention of him helping a less experienced defensive play caller (like butler or Washington)? Or even to help McDermott run the defensive side of practices during the week, but with McD the game day play caller?

Or I could see them still trying to hire someone from outside this offseason.

I really have no idea which route they choose. It’ll be interesting to see what direction they go.

I suspect this is well within the realm of possibilities 

he could run the week for McD, or be the trusted eyes and ears if an outsider comes in. 

that said, where are we with contracts for assistants on defense? 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, JMM said:

It's going to be Holcomb.  He won't get the title since Leslie will retain that title until next year. All a show of course. Leslie is gone. This year if he does well Holcomb will get the title.

Frazier is not under contract. Why do you think he would come back to Buffalo a year from now?  He won't be back.  Bills don't want him and he can go wherever he wants.

McD better call the plays.  No more excuses.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Frazier is not under contract. Why do you think he would come back to Buffalo a year from now?  He won't be back.  Bills don't want him and he can go wherever he wants.

McD better call the plays.  No more excuses.  

I agree. Time to see what McD has. Time for him to call our D. But I want him to have good help. Not some joe schmo ya know? 

The Bills are really standing on their head to make this Leslie’s idea. Nothing to see here. He wanted to go…don’t you see? And he can come back whenever he wants…..meantime we’ll make do with Al whatshisnuts. Anything but Sean admitting Frazier is not the guy. Keeping him after “13 seconds in KC” , only to fall flat at home against the dolphins and the bengals….it’s so Billsey. 

• Like (+1) 1

But that begs the question, why wasn't McDermott insisting a certain style of Defense be called from his coordinator and the side of the ball that's his expertise? At the end of the day, this all goes back to McD and his shortcomings as a top level leader and why we can't get over the hump.  You have to look "under the hood"

• Like (+1) 2

I have always been a fan of Schwartz but the Browns scooped him up so he's out but i would like to see someone that has a bit more of a pressure type of D to allow the players to pin their ears back & get after it at times & i don't know much about D coordinators to know their themes & what might fit the Bills personal .

One thing i don't want to see is a hire like Rexy to where they bring in a coach that his scheme doesn't fit the players they have & have to completely change the direction they have been heading in or can't utilize those players they have to make the D better .

Because no matter what the Frazier haters think the Bills have had a top 10 D since he has been here & remember what happened when Rex came in & changed from a 4/3 to a 3/4 DISASTER we went from a top 5 D to S**T in 1 year basically but i don't see either McD or Beane allowing that to happen .

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, T master said:

I have always been a fan of Schwartz but the Browns scooped him up so he's out but i would like to see someone that has a bit more of a pressure type of D to allow the players to pin their ears back & get after it at times & i don't know much about D coordinators to know their themes & what might fit the Bills personal .

One thing i don't want to see is a hire like Rexy to where they bring in a coach that his scheme doesn't fit the players they have & have to completely change the direction they have been heading in or can't utilize those players they have to make the D better .

Because no matter what the Frazier haters think the Bills have had a top 10 D since he has been here & remember what happened when Rex came in & changed from a 4/3 to a 3/4 DISASTER we went from a top 5 D to S**T in 1 year basically but i don't see either McD or Beane allowing that to happen .

agree 100%

On 3/1/2023 at 11:06 AM, BillsFan4 said:

McDermott’s defenses have always been more aggressive than what we’ve seen with Frazier as DC. I’m hoping he gets back to that now that Frazier is taking time off.

He better be this bend and break defense needs to go.

I really wish we hired Jim Schwartz, he turned shlubs into studs.

On 3/1/2023 at 11:22 AM, Ramza86 said:

I want McDerm to be the DC. 

So we can either get rid of him if he fails again defensively....or just keep him on board as a DC/HC.

You are probably going to get your wish.  I don't think we are hiring anyone.

McDermott will call the plays.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/28/2023 at 6:57 PM, HOUSE said:

Some guy from Carolina 

Well we have at least 3 candidates already on the staff that fit this criteria.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

You are probably going to get your wish.  I don't think we are hiring anyone.

McDermott will call the plays.

Al Holcomb was hired. Not sure his role yet.

If McDermott isn't going to be the DC, then I wouldn't mind taking a look at the 49ers staff for the next DC. They know how to build a defense. Look at what former 49ers DC Saleh is doing with the Jets defense, and he has only been there 2 years. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.