Buffalo News will now be printed in Cleveland

\GoBillsInDallas/

So the story 'Buffalo Bound Newspapers Stuck in Snowdrifts on the I-90 in Chautauqua County' really will be stuck in Chautauqua County? 🤔

image.thumb.jpeg.f374e367a351f69ee46de75a0e144948.jpeg

Quite the change from the era where multiple editions were printed locally throughout the day.  Here in greater Fort Erie, there even was a time the local distributor would bring the Sunrise, Metro, and Final editions to the coin boxes. 

Our local paper began printing about an hour south about six or seven years ago.

Pretty seamless for the most part, but if something happens to the presses, it necessitates someone locally to have to drive down to get whatever papers were printed prior to the press going down; bring them back up here; then (hopefully) go back down to pick up the rest of the papers after the press is fixed.  Not great and it does impact home deliveries.

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Rochester D&C is printed somewhere downstate. Both make it harder for papers to have timely news as deadlines get moved up even more.

The Rochester Demigod and Comical will soon be printed in NJ.  Sal M said in a tweet this week that the deadline for the next day's paper will soon be 3:00pm, meaning a game story from a Sunday Bills game won't appear until Tuesday's paper.  The industry is on life-support.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Rochester D&C is printed somewhere downstate. Both make it harder for papers to have timely news as deadlines get moved up even more.

6 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

The Rochester Demigod and Comical will soon be printed in NJ.  Sal M said in a tweet this week that the deadline for the next day's paper will soon be 3:00pm, meaning a game story from a Sunday Bills game won't appear until Tuesday's paper.  The industry is on life-support.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9242523,-74.4940775,422m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Like (+1) 1

For years, the Buffalo News would send out to convenience stores on Thursdays the following Sunday's ads and feature sections.  More than once I ended up 'fortune telling' to kids and coworkers, since I had the future edition.  Some of the help at the convenience stores didn't realize the extra material needed to be held back until the following Sunday; they just stuck it into the Thursday edition.

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

The Syracuse paper is printed in Harrisburg PA now, they recently removed the multi-million dollar printing press out of the building. 

It takes 4 hours to drive from Harrisburg,  PA to Syracuse, NY... How the hell do they get it to Newstands on time? 

They can't possibly fly the shipment,  or can they?

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It takes 4 hours to drive from Harrisburg,  PA to Syracuse, NY... How the hell do they get it to Newstands on time? 

They can't possibly fly the shipment,  or can they?

What happens is deadlines get moved up and helps the demise of the paper. The Elmira paper has news from two days ago and sports scores from the night before all say late. It sucks because I used to love reading a print newspaper but only time we get one anymore is occasionally Sunday for the ads and coupons.

Edited by Mike in Horseheads
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

What happens is deadlines get moved up and helps the demise of the paper. The Elmira paper has news from two days ago and sports scores from the night before all say late. It sucks because I used to love reading a print newspaper but only time we get one anymore is occasionally Sunday for the ads and coupons.

Thnx... Agree.

MiL has been complaining for years she read the newspaper a day late (busy doing housework or working, whatnot)... I guess she's on time today! 😆  😏 

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

They're trying to keep the paper alive.

My father worked for many years as an editor at TBN, and many of his close friends/colleagues were like uncles to me growing up.  So it's hard for me to see the industry turn to dust.  But that is inevitable at this point.

Technology has changed and printed news is the next typewriter selected for extinction.

It's going to get to the point where only the biggest/best papers will survive long term: LA Times, Chicago Tribune, NYT, WSJ, Wash. Post, maybe a handful of others...and they'll flourish.

The rest will be gone.

Papers have been in decline for a very long time.  There used to be a bunch of them in every big city.

Hell, it's been 41 years already since WNY lost the Courier Express.

8 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

What happens is deadlines get moved up and helps the demise of the paper. The Elmira paper has news from two days ago and sports scores from the night before all say late.

Reminds me of when the morning newspaper never had west coast final scores because they went to press before games ended.

Now, It’s because the presses aren’t running.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Since September, the BN has raised the price for Sunday from $3.50 to $4to $5, the Sunday comics are down to 4 pages, they took the puzzles out of the sunday comics, Changed the got rid of Dear Abby and decreased the quality (physical) of the paper used. I can't count how many people told me , that's it for the BN.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

My father worked for many years as an editor at TBN, and many of his close friends/colleagues were like uncles to me growing up.  So it's hard for me to see the industry turn to dust.  But that is inevitable at this point.

Technology has changed and printed news is the next typewriter selected for extinction.

It's going to get to the point where only the biggest/best papers will survive long term: LA Times, Chicago Tribune, NYT, WSJ, Wash. Post, maybe a handful of others...and they'll flourish.

The rest will be gone.

Papers have been in decline for a very long time.  There used to be a bunch of them in every big city.

Hell, it's been 41 years already since WNY lost the Courier Express.

Syracuse had two, the Herald Journal (evening) and Post Standard (morning).  Even though they were owned by the same company, they were run as two different papers.  In 2001, they merged and dropped the Herald Journal, only offering the Post Standard.  Now their primary focus is online and getting stories posted so quickly that there is no proof reading.  

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Since September, the BN has raised the price for Sunday from $3.50 to $4to $5, the Sunday comics are down to 4 pages, they took the puzzles out of the sunday comics, Changed the got rid of Dear Abby and decreased the quality (physical) of the paper used. I can't count how many people told me , that's it for the BN.

BN bombard me to subscribe for the E edition, so I decided to go ahead a few days back for a $45 for the year. I never have had it, I stopped home delivery 3 yrs. ago. 

Could not do it online. Tried repeatedly, I had 5 offers alone last week, none would allow me to enroll in them and that I needed to call. So, I call and that office closed at one. So I’m like okay, try tomorrow.

That night I get NYT offer, full site access and The Atlantic, for $65 for 1 year. Done deal. Took minutes to be enrolled in both.

But, my guilt and sense of Buffalo loyalty got me, I’ll call/try, email, Mon., probably have to leave a message and wait a few days to hear back.

On 2/24/2023 at 10:40 AM, Ned Flanders said:

Which is not a good thing.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Reminds me of when the morning newspaper never had west coast final scores because they went to press before games ended.

Now, It’s because the presses aren’t running.

How many versions did they run? I remember (I think?) seeing the morning paper available in the Aud leaving Braves games. I always thought that was odd. I think they ran more than once? 

I enjoyed a local morning paper back in the day, with a manageable crossword puzzle. Sadly, it seems they are just one more dinosaur from the pre-digital age. We have a new granddaughter, and I can’t imagine what she will see. 

3 hours ago, Wacka said:

When the Viewpoints section went from a full section down to a page of pablum, and Dr. Gerry Rising's local science column got the boot, it was the end for me.  I believe that was around 2015.  The digital version reporting on a helicopter from the 'Canadian Royale Air Force' making an emergency landing in Niagara County had me giving up on whatever crew of journalist interns they were abusing.  The digital [BN] had one saving grace - the Disqus comment platform, where you could truly lambaste the incompetence of the product.

47 minutes ago, Augie said:

How many versions did they run? I remember (I think?) seeing the morning paper available in the Aud leaving Braves games. I always thought that was odd. I think they ran more than once? 

I enjoyed a local morning paper back in the day, with a manageable crossword puzzle. Sadly, it seems they are just one more dinosaur from the pre-digital age. We have a new granddaughter, and I can’t imagine what she will see. 

Once they became the Buffalo News and started a morning edition after the Courier's demise, I recall seeing:

Southern Tier Sunrise

Sunrise

Metro

Final

As stated upthread, I can recall a local Canadian distributor who would make three trips daily, to supply local stores and the vending boxes where summer residents would faithfully 'stake out' the box, waiting for the next edition.  Thirty five cents back in the 80s.  My dad was one of them.  My mother would alternately grouse about his need for three editions, or quietly assert "thank the heavens he's gone for the paper!" 😁

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We were a Courier-Express family! 

***** the Buffalo EVENING News! 😉 

😏

There wasn't a bigger booster of high school sports than the Courier Express.  Full box and line scores for just about every fall, winter, and spring sport.  The only time I ever got my name in the sports section of a Buffalo newspaper.  Don't ask me about 'police blotter' or 'crime and courts'. 🫣

image.thumb.jpeg.a99370adfb8f622ee2243737b7a4778b.jpeg

"I am now in Sing Sing."

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Needed a little Moe...😉
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Syracuse had two, the Herald Journal (evening) and Post Standard (morning).  Even though they were owned by the same company, they were run as two different papers.  In 2001, they merged and dropped the Herald Journal, only offering the Post Standard.  Now their primary focus is online and getting stories posted so quickly that there is no proof reading.  

I got a part time job in college at Courier Express.  I was doing classified ads and lead noticed I was correcting ads and pointed me out to editor.  I continued doing ads but occasionally when editor got busy he asked me to do some proof reading of stories for paper.   It is a shame how professional editing has going out of newspaper business.

My 90 year old mother recently canceled the BN. I take care of her affairs so I tried calling to cancel. Office is only open until 1pm and the hold time was over an hour. Finally got through and canceled.  She still kept on getting the paper. I was able to check online her account status and it said her subscription was canceled. She's been getting the paper for free for 6 months. She doesnt even read it and it goes straight to the recycle bin. No wonder BN is losing money.

Just to follow up on my BN e-edition subscription attempt saga.

Tried again this morning to enroll online to no avail. Called then at 9:30, on hold 15 minutes, then hung up, waited a few, tried again, after 10 minutes a prompt to leave my #. 

Twenty minutes ago, 11:53, phone rings, call from Iowa, a nonsense call likely, but thought, could it be the BN?

Answered, it was. Call center clearly, but, my perseverance was rewarded, got a year ‘script for $26.

UPDATE:

At 12:04 got an email from BN, just read it, 1:15.

Submitted me into a 90 day introductory subscription for $26, a plan that is nowhere to be found anywhere online. 

…..unreal. And they’re closed for the day.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

Answered, it was. Call center clearly, but, my perseverance was rewarded, got a year ‘script for $26.

UPDATE:

At 12:04 got an email from BN, just read it, 1:15.

Submitted me into a 90 introductory subscription for $26, a plan that is nowhere to be found anywhere online. 

…..unreal. And they’re closed for the day.

Of course they're closed for the day.  They're out at Mickey D's, getting Happy Meals on your $26. 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Of course they're closed for the day.  They're out at Mickey D's, getting Happy Meals on your $26. 😁

Yeah, the brass there was an arrogant, elitist bunch, they were proud of their sinking of the Courier-Express.

Just desserts included in their Happy Meal.

1 minute ago, I am the egg man said:

Yeah, the brass there was an arrogant, elitist bunch, they were proud of their sinking of the Courier-Express.

Just desserts included in their Happy Meal.

I  was referring to the call centre.  That's probably how they get paid for subscribing people to print journalism. 

4 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I  was referring to the call centre.  That's probably how they get paid for subscribing people to print journalism. 

I was referring to the BN, remember it well when they set out to claim the morning glory of newspapers and their pride when they became the unopposed local info print darlings.

Just now, I am the egg man said:

I was referring to the BN, remember it well when they set out to claim the morning glory of newspapers and their pride when they became the unopposed local info print darlings.

I was under the impression a morning edition of the BN was only started after the Courier folded.

On 2/25/2023 at 4:03 PM, Augie said:

when i lived in the District from 89-02, loved every minute i received the "City" edition of the WAPO. Always had the West Coast scores in there, and especially pre-internet that was a big deal!

I am sorry for the people losing their jobs at the Buffalo News like I was when the old Buffalo Courier Express shutdown. Or when Loblaws, Twin Fair, Grants, Woolworth, Kmart, Sears, JC Penny, Bells, Super Duper, A&P, Red Barn, Long John Silver, Henry’s, all the local Drive in movie theaters, Hills, Ames, Big E, Buffalo Savings, Marine Midland Banks, Child World, Kaybee, Play and Learn, Merry Go Round, Chess King, Sample, Kleinhan’s, AM&A’s, Hen’s and Kelly to name a few. But nothing to see here go to bed old man BSF you don’t know what you are talking about?

Buffalo is happening today better than ever from some Buffalo people today because I heard it parroted on television or on my cellphone it must be true. If you say something that isn’t true long enough you start believe something that isn’t reality of any truth. Until more Buffalo people recognize there is a problem with growth of business which creates jobs which creates population growth we can’t fix the problems of Western New York. But we got a $1.4 billion dollar new Buffalo Bills stadium in Orchard Park, a $1 billion dollar tunnel for Kennington Expressway, a Ferris wheel and carousel at Canalside and

don’t forget Shark Girl Buffalo is happening don’t you know BSF? Yeah Buffalo is happening Cleveland just took more of our good paying jobs away but nothing to see here that is all I have heard and seen for the past 50 years in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.