The #1 Priority, Protect The QB

H2o

23 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'm not really that impressed by Dion Dawkins. I see him as Above average.

What are the cap implications of trading him for a draft pick?

Or, if he has any experience at RT: move him there and get a real LT 

Dawkins is the best player we have on the OL. This could blow up in your face in an instant. You don't trade him, create another hole, and hope that you hit on the pick you get for him. If we have a guy fall to us that we like better, then draft the other. Let them battle it out. Best man wins, but the OL will still be comprised of the best 5 we have by moving whoever around. For years NE has only drafted guys who they felt could play T as well as G. That versatility always helped them have one of the best OL's in the league for years. 

• Agree 1

I will never be able to understand some people's obsession with suggesting to move established NFL starting quality players to positions that they have never played. I would not want my orthopedic surgeon to try his hand at filling a cavity for me or want my dentist to perform my hip replacement. While it is possible to change positions mid-stream in a player's career - many of these players have years of development in a position - usually tough to just toss that out the window & start over at a new position. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

We have a dearth of talent in the offensive line and you are proposing trading one of the few genuinely talented lineman for a draft pick?

You could make a case for moving him inside if you had a better LT, but that's the only move and it is unlikely to be a consideration since there aren't any superlatifve LT candidates to be had late first round or in free agency.

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I normally would take this as one of those "joking" type post, but this time that's not the case and I totally feel you're serious and mean this.....

In any event, stating the obvious (I think majority likely can agree), Dawkins is one of the top LT in the league and the best piece we have on the OL by a pretty good margin and you somehow feel it's a good idea to get rid of him? I mean come on man! I have not the first clue what or how one can come to this conclusion.

14 minutes ago, Negan said:

While thinking about this, not sure if that much would be needed to fix the oline for next year.

LT Dawkins

LG Bates

C Morse

RG Seumalo eagles FA target

RT Move up for Broderick Jones in the first round of the draft.

LT - Dawkins

LG - Patterson (ND, 3rd/4th Rd)

C - Morse 

RG - Seumalo (FA)

RT - Darnell Wright (Tenn, 2nd)

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Negan said:

While thinking about this, not sure if that much would be needed to fix the oline for next year.

LT Dawkins

LG Bates

C Morse

If the bills were to do that Jones would be at left tackle and I would move Dawkins to left guard. Bates will just have to sit behind Morse till he's finished. That would be a very nice line imo. I still say Spencer Brown will lock down right tackle after a healthy off season.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/13/2023 at 9:11 AM, Real McNasty said:

Maybe he stops turning the ball over if he has better protection?

Same group of posters with the same excuses. He needs to do better. No one on this team gets as many excuses as Josh. I love that he's here, but I don't wear Josh colored glasses. He led the league in ints. I didn't even get into the 13 fumbles(5 lost). He's got to do better. Deflect all you want.

On 2/13/2023 at 9:35 AM, Real McNasty said:

Yup, he will lead the league in turnovers when he literally has 2-3 turnstiles in front of him. Is it any surprise why the #1 and #2 O lines this year in the league were in the SB?

Allen 19 overall turnovers

Mahomes 12 overall turnovers

Burrow 15 overall turnovers

GIve Josh Allen a real top 5 NFL line and I can almost guarantee his turnover rate drops. Josh has hid the O line deficiencies for far too long, enough is enough. 

The 2 teams in the SB had better QB play than Josh. Philly's or KC's olines have nothing to do with us not making the SB. We didn't make the SB because Burrow outplayed Josh. With 3 starters missing. Cincy was down 3 oline starters and Burrow played better than Josh.

• Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, Dopey said:

The 2 teams in the SB had better QB play than Josh. Philly's or KC's olines have nothing to do with us not making the SB. We didn't make the SB because Burrow outplayed Josh. With 3 starters missing. Cincy was down 3 oline starters and Burrow played better than Josh.

I don’t disagree with who outplayed who. Josh has shown this past year, even when he’s afforded time, that he’s unsure where to go with the ball. Or he’ll leave a clean pocket which invites the rush and shrinks the field. I was a little surprised he was 18th or 19th in QB rating with a clean pocket, that would seem to enforce the field reading issues.

Would Josh be better if he had more faith in his OL? I believe so. I don’t think he’d leave the pocket for instance, but if Frazier was calling the defense for the Bengals and Anarumo was calling the defense for the Bills, I think Bills beat Bengals. I really do. It’s a two fold effect - the offense wouldn’t be as stymied and would have much more cushion to operate and the defense would’ve forced Burrow to earn it a little bit more. 

I think all 3 are true: Josh has to be more intelligent with the ball; the receivers are not getting open fast enough; and the offencive line stunk, which hurt his play even more.

You can see him act like he can feel pressure on the few times when there isn't any.  He sometimes does not have a hot read available on blitzes.  He forces the ball downfield when he has someone open short.  Even mediocre defences can consistently get pressure rushing 4 -- and it forces Knox to stay in and block.

4 hours ago, Negan said:

LT Dawkins

LG Bates

C Morse

Perhaps this and a plan for when Morse gets concussed.

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Same group of posters with the same excuses. He needs to do better. No one on this team gets as many excuses as Josh. I love that he's here, but I don't wear Josh colored glasses. He led the league in ints. I didn't even get into the 13 fumbles(5 lost). He's got to do better. Deflect all you want.

Given the current situation Allen can't really play all that much better.  NO QB is going to be consistently good with that O line. IMO Allen is playing better then any QB in the NFL when you factor in the talent surrounding him on offense.  And the Bills record and Allen's stats back me up on that.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, H2o said:

Dawkins is the best player we have on the OL. This could blow up in your face in an instant. You don't trade him, create another hole, and hope that you hit on the pick you get for him. If we have a guy fall to us that we like better, then draft the other. Let them battle it out. Best man wins, but the OL will still be comprised of the best 5 we have by moving whoever around. For years NE has only drafted guys who they felt could play T as well as G. That versatility always helped them have one of the best OL's in the league for years. 

I'm probably not moving on from Dion just yet even if he did struggle some last year.  On a 27th ranked OL, he's still our best, followed by squeezing one last year out of Morse.  Bates is our 3rd best olineman but only when he's at LG.  This year we absolutely have to replace Saffold & Brown. How we do it should be a mix of FA & draft.  Maybe somebody like Pocic can play RG for 1 season then transition to C.  If we don't go WR @ 27 we sure as he'll better consider T there if someone drops. Next year we may have to consider replacing Dawkins/Bates?

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

While it's true that "Philly's or KC's o-lines have nothing to do with us not making the SB" they sure had a hell of a lot to do with those two teams making the SB.

Mahomes had a better season then Allen but Hurts didn't.  The fact is that Hurts had fewer TO's then Allen because they didn't depend on him to win their games.  Philly was a much better team from top to bottom and the only position where it was clear the Bills had the advantage over the Eagles was at QB.

Against the Bengals Allen was hurried on half his pass attempts.  HALF! 

• Like (+1) 2

I think we need to borrow from the future.  Trade  away future picks to get two additional first round picks in the middle of this draft.  This is a QB heavy / Defense heavy draft.  Top tackles, and WR's are going to be available in the mid teens.   #27 should land the best Guard in the draft.  

On 2/13/2023 at 4:27 PM, mjt328 said:

With each passing season, I'm coming to the conclusion that it's pointless to have a good defense.

The Eagles were statistically one of the best pass rushing teams in NFL history.  They barely sniffed Patrick Mahomes the entire night, and would have allowed 40+ points if the Chiefs didn't fall down at the 1-yard-line.  

I've seen this narrative pop up everywhere but it's worth pointing out that their defensive linemen were constantly slipping on that weird grass field. A couple reps Hassan Reddick got pancaked by Andrew Wylie which should never happen. The Chiefs got lucky that the field mitigated the Eagles pass rush. A couple sacks throughout the game may have changed the outcome.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I've seen this narrative pop up everywhere but it's worth pointing out that their defensive linemen were constantly slipping on that weird grass field. A couple reps Hassan Reddick got pancaked by Andrew Wylie which should never happen. The Chiefs got lucky that the field mitigated the Eagles pass rush. A couple sacks throughout the game may have changed the outcome.

For the field to be in that kind of shape for a Super Bowl was disgraceful.

Might as well have played it in the snow at Highmark.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/14/2023 at 7:34 AM, Dr. Who said:

We have a dearth of talent in the offensive line and you are proposing trading one of the few genuinely talented lineman for a draft pick?

You could make a case for moving him inside if you had a better LT, but that's the only move and it is unlikely to be a consideration since there aren't any superlatifve LT candidates to be had late first round or in free agency.

Agree, We're not touching Dion. He's our best olineman on a incredibly mediocre OL.  I'd still like to see us draft 2 olineman in the first 4 rounds and at the very minimum sign 1 good FA like Seumalo or Pocic.  Spencer's feet are way to slow and he should be depth the remainder of his contract.  Scrubs like Saffold, Quessenberry and Van Rotten need replacing immediately. 

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Heard the same excuse about our field against the Bengals, due to the weather (which is always going to be a problem in Buffalo).  Players slipping, which somehow gave the advantage to the offense.  Maybe a perfect field yields a couple sacks, and a different team wins.  The Eagles still likely allow 30+ points.

My point is the same.  

If an elite QB is on that day... even the 85 Bears wouldn't be able to stop them.  Which considering the guys we have to go through in the AFC playoffs, makes it pointless to waste resources on that side of the ball.  Because at some point, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, etc. are going to smack us around.  Instead use the resources on the O-Line to keep our elite Quarterback healthy and pressure free, along with weapons to try and outscore the opponent.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.