In case anyone wondered - Kumerow had back surgery

Beck Water

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/back-surgery-not-ankle-injuries-responsible-for-bills-receiver-jake-kumerows-shortened-season/article_181816c8-9cdd-11ed-bc17-0f9fac7f9425.html#tncms-source=login

On Monday, Kumerow revealed to The Buffalo News that he recently underwent a microdiscectomy to trim a disc that was making contact with nerves in his back.

Kumerow battled through the back injury, and it was only during recovery for the second ankle injury that he was shut down.

“The ankle self-healed,” he said. "I was able to work on my ankle, but my back was hurting and I couldn’t get back to full speed with my ankle because my back was hurting. (The team) was, ‘All right, let’s try and get you right.’ ”

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I am sure the Bills are kicking themselves for letting Hodgins walk and instead keeping Kumerow, esp since he ended up with this injury and not playing. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 7

16 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am sure the Bills are kicking themselves for letting Hodgins walk and instead keeping Kumerow, esp since he ended up with this injury and not playing.

I hope not. 

Not because I believe that in hindsight, given a do-over, they wouldn't prefer to have kept Hodgins than to elevate Tanner Gentry for Week 11 and 12 and bring John Brown off his sofa to the practice squad.   I'm sure they would.

But the only point of evaluating past decisions is to see if you should have made a different decision given the information you had at the time.  And I understand the logic of the Bills player prioritization, given the information they had at the time.

Kicking yourself serves no purpose. 

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I hope not. 

Not because I believe that in hindsight, given a do-over, they wouldn't prefer to have kept Hodgins than to elevate Tanner Gentry for Week 11 and 12 and bring John Brown off his sofa to the practice squad.   I'm sure they would.

But the only point of evaluating past decisions is to see if you should have made a different decision given the information you had at the time.  And I understand the logic of the Bills player prioritization, given the information they had at the time.

Kicking yourself serves no purpose. 

It was a total blunder both then and after the fact. Kumerow offered nothing on offense. They prioritized ST over offense, and it was a foolish decision. It’s also not even like they didn’t know what they had in Hodgins— when he played the few times, he looked good. 

I love McBeane, but they make mistakes (as everyone does). This was a mistake. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

One would like to think so…, 

57 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

It was a total blunder both then and after the fact. Kumerow offered nothing on offense. They prioritized ST over offense, and it was a foolish decision. It’s also not even like they didn’t know what they had in Hodgins— when he played the few times, he looked good. 

I love McBeane, but they make mistakes (as everyone does). This was a mistake. 

I would just like to point out ....they prioritized a starter/key contributor on ST over the #5 WR on offense, because that would have been Hodgins role here.

As a basis for fact, in the 2 early season games where Kumerow saw substantial snaps, he had 4 receptions on 5 targets for 64 yds + ST

In the same time window, Hodgins saw 4 receptions on 6 targets for 41 yds. 

That's the comparator the Bills brain trust was looking at when they released Hodgins, not "offered nothing"

Again, I like Hodgins, I'm sure the Bills would prefer to have kept him, but Hodgins was playing 78% of the snaps for the Giants.  He would not have been playing that many snaps for the Bills, unless you swap him out for Gabe Davis.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.