McDermott a finalist for COTY

Roundybout

30 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I'm good with keeping McDermott, if he can acknowledge the deficiencies in Defensive scheme and Offensive scheme. I'd prefer to let Frazier and Dorsey go and get more innovative on both sides of the ball and he does need to do better with managing in-game situations. That said, he's done a lot for the team over the last six years and I can see that value. Plus, how he's handled the adversity of the snow game, Hamlin, etc. showed solid leadership. It's just the football side of things I have my concerns regarding those aforementioned decisions.

The Philadelphia Eagles run the exact same defensive system that we run, and everyone is drooling over what they are doing. Offensively, outside of a couple teams (see Baltimore and their triple option stuff), everyone does essentially the same things. So all of you screaming "the scheme, the scheme, the scheme" simply just don't know or understand what you're talking about. At the end of the day it comes down to the Jimmy's and the Joe's. We lost because we got bullied in the trenches all game long. There isn't a scheme in the world that can do anything productive when that happens. It is what it is. We aren't good enough in the trenches.

• Dislike 2

5 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

He could've played 9 men on the field every play against the Bengals and he should still win COTY for how led this team to 13 wins with everything that was going on.

Hot Take:

Greatest regular season coaching job in NFL history this year and it is not even close. 

I don't see the "everything that was going on" as a reason to for him to be COTY, but rather as the sole mitigating factor as to why he should't be fired. Then, of course, I'm viewing it from the lens of last season's disappointment added on, which has no bearing on this year's COTY.

5 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

He could've played 9 men on the field every play against the Bengals and he should still win COTY for how led this team to 13 wins with everything that was going on.

Hot Take:

Greatest regular season coaching job in NFL history this year and it is not even close. 

I don't see the "everything that was going on" as a reason to for him to be COTY, but rather as the sole mitigating factor as to why he should't be fired. Then, of course, I'm viewing it from the lens of last season's disappointment added on, which has no bearing on this year's COTY.

6 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Hot Take:

Leader of the year, yes.  Coach of the year, no.  Not after that debacle on Sunday. Can’t come out that unprepared for a home playoff game with everything on the line.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

But please, let’s fire him. 

Weird? I understand the other 4 but why is McDermott a finalist for his team doing exactly what everyone expected the team to do? (In the regular season)

IMO Daboll or Shannahan should win  this. Daboll because the Giants vastly improved with pretty much the same cast as last year and Shannahan for winning with Mr Irrelevant at QB.  

24 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

If I had to rank them, it would be Pederson, Shanahan, McD, Daboll, Siriani. 

How is McD ahead of Daboll? I will ask what did he do that made the Bills better than what was expected? Now that doesn’t mean he isn’t a great coach but he no more deserves be a finalist than BB did for most of the 20 years he had Brady. 

25 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

“These coaches were bad after a while therefore McD is bad” is a fallacy. 

Sure, which is why I think Pederson deserves it the most for turning around the Jags like that. 

That wasn't the point of illustrating those coaches. The intention was being a finalist for COTY doesn't mean you are a Chamionship caliber coach. This team was the preseason super bowl favorite and fell way short again, directly from coaching, again. 

36 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Siriani. What he did with Jalen Hurts is incredible. Before the year it was questioned if they should move on from him, now prior call him a superstar. The growth of Hurts has been incredible. 

Brock Purdy is a 7th round pick, third string rookie who has helped lead his team to the Final Four.  Jalen Hurts is in his third year as a starter after being a 2nd round pick.

I'm not taking anything away from what Siriani has done with Hurts/the Eagles.  I just think what Shanahan has done is far more remarkable.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

I'm good with keeping McDermott, if he can acknowledge the deficiencies in Defensive scheme and Offensive scheme. I'd prefer to let Frazier and Dorsey go and get more innovative on both sides of the ball and he does need to do better with managing in-game situations. That said, he's done a lot for the team over the last six years and I can see that value. Plus, how he's handled the adversity of the snow game, Hamlin, etc. showed solid leadership. It's just the football side of things I have my concerns regarding those aforementioned decisions.

I agree.  I think McD has done a tremendous job keeping the team focused and advancing to the divisional round.  He would be deserving of this honor for that.  

However, none of that means that he shouldn’t look hard at the team and coaching staff and make the necessary changes to overcome the playoff losses.   After 4 consecutive playoff losses, I’d say they’ve done a tremendous job making the Bills a playoff team. Now... how do you make this a Super Bowl team?  

IMO, changes in the defensive scheme are long over due. And serious growth by Dorsey and the offensive scheming is needed. 

21 minutes ago, Sargent Hulka said:

I don't think anything that ever happened before this season should be a factor. 

The way he handled the Hamlin situation in Cincinnati with millions of people watching and The Shield pressuring him to continue playing is what Great Men do and is the kind of thing placed on someone's tombstone. We just don't have men of that kind of strength anymore in this world. 

It beats out any Xs and Os that Daboll or whomever may have had their coordinators do. I just think people lose perspective after 1 loss. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not voting for McD until he walks up to the microphone to announce that Frazier has been fired. 

We dont even know if the defensive woes are on Frazier or McDermott. For all we know McDermott was running those terrible defensive formations we saw Sunday 

Shanahan should win it. 

In a QB driven league, he’s got Mr. Irrelevant going to the NFC Championship game.

With everything the Bills have had to go through this season, I do think McDermott deserves consideration - at the end of the day, we kept winning even after the Damar situation.

For all the other guys also deserve credit for what they’ve done for their teams, none of them faced the degree of adversity that Shanahan and McDermott did.

Jags have got plenty of talent on their roster, as have the Eagles, and both have QBs, as did Daboll, who admittedly has a less talented roster, but aided by a healthy Saquan.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Brock Purdy is a 7th round pick, third string rookie who has helped lead his team to the Final Four.  Jalen Hurts is in his third year as a starter after being a 2nd round pick.

I'm not taking anything away from what Siriani has done with Hurts/the Eagles.  I just think what Shanahan has done is far more remarkable.

I hear you,  Purdy has played half the year and that is impressive, they also acquired CMC as well so their talent between WR, TE, RB, and defense can't really get any better. 

Siriani has Hurts playing at an MVP level and #1 seed best record in the NFL... Shanahan has Purdy playing very good and clinched #2 seed...

I can see both, i give the nod to the higher level of excellence. 

Edited by ArtVandalay

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.