Beane End of Year Presser

thenorthremembers

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

Beane is not a witch. Beane is a pretty decent GM. You can do worse. 

I think I’m a little higher on McD here than others. We’ve seen the defense get measurably better; even in game, when McD takes over play calling. 

I think (hope?) he gives his assistants enough rope and support to both fail and succeed which is good as a leader. I wouldn’t be shocked if we walk away from Frazier. And if we have another draft where top 100 picks don’t see the field more than 1/3 the time, we may see Beane hit the road as well. 

In a must win game, in the playoffs at home, on third and short playing 7 yards off the ball? Signing off on a game plan that also included, blitzing the best QB against the blitz who has 3 backup OLs (the game plan  everyone knew going in was 1 to 3 steps and throw) - giving that much rope? That is coaching for your season right there. The luster really wore off on Sunday

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

We’ve seen the defense get measurably better; even in game, when McD takes over play calling. 

Has there been instances of him actually doing this?   The only play calling I ever see him do is calling for an extra point after TD

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

You want him to say what we're truly thinking?

Beane: "Hey yo we suck ass, bruh. We're terrible, bruh. Our defense is ass. Our offense is Josh Allen going HAM, bruh. That's all we have. Bengals ate our faces off. I effed up with our defensive draft selections. Bit me all up in my ass, bruh. I don't draft wide receivers because Josh Allen makes Joe Blow from the Streets look good so there was no need to draft any receiver. So please pray for me. I mean, pray for us."

You aren’t wrong Buffalo. 

Serious question: who's in charge of this team right now?

Are the coordinator decisions 100% with McDermott? And considering that  McDermott was hired first, does he also have the final say on what moves they are going to make and where they are going to just run it back?  If the power really does all lie with McDermott, then Beane is just a glorified scout.

And of course the biggest question mark is the Pegulas.  Does Terry have any role in football operations (assuming Kim is still out of commission)?  If the answer is "yes" the team does a good job of keeping that all in house, but I honestly don't know.  

5 hours ago, Process said:

Most of the questions being asked are beyond stupid. Stop asking him about KC and Cincinnati and start asking about the very glaring and obvious issues with this team, including his off season decision making and prioritization of the defense.

Our media really is gutless.

I remember one teams reporters actually mocked our reporters (2021 season?) for the softball questions. Maybe it was the Boston reporters? Anyone remember?

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Kind of funny that this team could have used a Zay Jones or an Isaiah Hodgins down the stretch. Neither is a Higgins, but both can play. 

That is a really horrible explanation by Beane. He’s basically admitting that our window just closed and that’s because he didn’t draft enough good players around Josh and McD coached poorly.

It all falls right on them and he shouldn’t be reminding people just how awful of a job he’s done.

Edited by Governor
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Found it very interesting that he mentioned 2025 specifically, its the year his and McDermott's contracts are up.

In what way did he mention 2025? I must have missed this.

The Hines comments are ridiculous. How long did it take McCaffrey to get up to speed with the 49ers?

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bills Fan in MD said:

Serious question: who's in charge of this team right now?

Are the coordinator decisions 100% with McDermott? And considering that  McDermott was hired first, does he also have the final say on what moves they are going to make and where they are going to just run it back?  If the power really does all lie with McDermott, then Beane is just a glorified scout.

And of course the biggest question mark is the Pegulas.  Does Terry have any role in football operations (assuming Kim is still out of commission)?  If the answer is "yes" the team does a good job of keeping that all in house, but I honestly don't know.  

You do not want owners meddling in football matters. As owner, the Pegulas of course have to ask for the status, accountabilities and plans to fix but they should not be doing the micro management. If they dont trust Beane to make the right decisions (not saying they dont), then they should just go ahead and fire him. 

By the same token, if Beane wans Frazier gone, he should not go over McD's head and do it himself. Not that he cannot, but he shouldn't. Follow the chain of command, let the responsible people do their jobs. 

11 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Look at the DC he learned under in Philly and look at the defense he runs. Can they be more opposite?

I will give credit where credit is due - he turned the franchise around but I think he is at his ceiling. We will know for certain this time next year, but the picture is getting fairly clear

Is it? Or is it they were down a number of big time players? X2 All-Pro Free Safety & x7 All-Pro LBer both out. Last year's 1st team All-Pro Strong Safety & x2 All-Pro CB each playing one legged. Jones was out and Phillips was playing with 1 arm.

When this defense was down both Hyde & White they were still a very good defense, even though they were playing Hamlin and rookies in the secondary. Held Tua & Hill down to hardly anything after they went off on Baltimore the week before. Held Lamar & Baltimore down. Held the Chiefs to their 2nd lowest point total of the year. All those games were on the road. Not having 2 All-Pro caliber players in the secondary cripples most defenses, these guys fought through that. This defense was really good(alternating between 1st & 2nd) until we played the Vikings, mid-season. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Do some of you really expect him to say, "oh yeah, the axe is gonna come down, heads are rolling, we're replacing this guy and that coach and Timmy the clipboard holder he's gone too."

The expectations are absolutely absurd from some of y'all. Beane has built a consistent contender, something we hadn't seen for nearly two decades. Does he have some whiffs? Sure. They all do. No GM has a perfect track record. 

Josh had guys like Robert Foster and Zay Jones in 18 and 19. Everyone said "they need a real receiver for Josh!" Beane goes and gets Diggs. 

Everyone griped about the pass rush in 2020 and 2021. What'd Beane do? Goes out and gets a Hall of Fame pass rusher. 

They've drafted well, developed players and retained them. That is how you keep the window open. Crap happens. If they were to do a major overhaul like some of y'all want then we'd all be miserable watching this team go 8-9 for another two or three seasons. 

And I'm not saying Beane is immune to criticism, I'm saying some of ya need to allow room for error because again, no GM can be perfect. He's done a lot to address the needs of the team and with the way the cap works they have to prioritize the positions they find most important and pay those guys and hope they can get by with average or subpar players are some other spots. This is something all teams have to do. 

I know Dorsey isn't going anywhere. And yeah at times his calls weren't the best or most creative but other times it was Josh not making the best decisions and the offense not executing. As always it's a combination of things but it's just too easy for people to point at one or two people and place all the blame on them. 

That said...the one change I think I'd like to see is them moving on from Leslie Frazier. Very consistent in the regular season but when the pressure is on in the big games things just seem to fall apart. I'd like to see some more creativity on that side of the ball. 

It'll be an interesting off-season. 

They have not drafted well. They haven't drafted a Pro Bowler since 2018. He's drafted a bunch of role players, but no blue chip talent.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

That was one of the worst Beane PCs I have watched.

We won 13 game guys... How many times did we hear that 

Would you like him to be like people on this board and say we won 13 games but we suck? He understands they have issues and now he has to work on fixing them. He can't just go up there and say heads are gonna roll, it's not how he operates. Now it's a wait and see on what he does. Not what you want to hear but it's just how it is.

5 hours ago, zow2 said:

I'm sick of Frazier... and Dorsey pissed me off at times..  but I can't deny these guys were 13-3,  14-3 before getting rolled by Cincinnati.  SO if they can learn and make changes for the positive, and Bean can work some magic in the draft and F/A,  let's give them one more season to right these wrongs.  I think this Domination will stick with them and be a huge motivator.  

I am sick of Frazier too.  But this defense is really broken.  It is not championship caliber in any way, shape or form.  We are not close to SF, the Eagles, Dallas or even the Ravens on D.  Our D sucks, any team that was in the playoffs that played the Vikings smoked them and won those games.  But not our touted top rated D, they got torched by KIRK cough Cousins!!!

Milano and Edmunds are only average linebackers they constantly choke in pressure games.  Once again they were no where to be found this past Sunday.  Their performances when it matters is always non existent, they both need to go.  Luckily Edmunds is 75% out the door already due to the cap situation.

There are a lot of other teams that are going to surpass us this coming year with free agents and the draft pics helping their rosters.   But the Bills getting any better with drafting or FA signings is all now severely handicapped.  Mainly due to our sorry ass scout team in charge of drafting, & talent assessment.   We are so screwed in this area.  I would not let our scouting team even work for a high school team,  they are not even qualified to assemble talent for a high school JV football team.

Our drafting scouts are a bunch of 3rd rate wana-bee's.   What ever they are being paid should be paid back plus interest, they are dog crap.

Our D-line sucks and so does the O-line, and Beane wants to sit on his ass and not do anything to fix area's  that need to be addressed this off season.

He needs to restructure contracts and free up money to get the players we need to get us there while Josh is still able to play at this level.  Von Miller was the worst signing ever,  we are in cap hell for the foreseeable future because of this bone headed by move Beane made to sign a 34 year old guy to this type of contract.

Beane and McD have too much of Carolina written all over them and it is pathetic dealing with this type of management. 

The front office an coaching staff are going to ruin this teams chances to ever get to a another Super Bowl.

We are on down slope for sure and our GM's address to the public & media today shows the State of OBD.  

Absolutely clueless and no vision for the future.

Edited by Toyo321

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Is it? Or is it they were down a number of big time players? X2 All-Pro Free Safety & x7 All-Pro LBer both out. Last year's 1st team All-Pro Strong Safety & x2 All-Pro CB each playing one legged. Jones was out and Phillips was playing with 1 arm.

When this defense was down both Hyde & White they were still a very good defense, even though they were playing Hamlin and rookies in the secondary. Held Tua & Hill down to hardly anything after they went off on Baltimore the week before. Held Lamar & Baltimore down. Held the Chiefs to their 2nd lowest point total of the year. All those games were on the road. Not having 2 All-Pro caliber players in the secondary cripples most defenses, these guys fought through that. This defense was really good(alternating between 1st & 2nd) until we played the Vikings, mid-season. 

These are all good points, but there is a difference in regular season vs playoffs - this staff after the past 3 years is not playoff caliber. We also didn't have Von last year and Jerry =/= Von. The DL even with the injuries was better this year than last year, those DT and Ends were straight up trash. We didn't have Tre in the playoffs last year and, serious question, what impact would Hyde have based on the gameplan against Cincy?

Now, if we lined up and played with a good gameplan and lost, it is easier to go down the path you are on, which I truly do understand.

Blitzing Burrow, who everyone knew the ball was getting out in less than 3 seconds and who is great against the blitz and playing off the WRs? There was a blueprint for Miami by the Chargers, we didn't follow it. There were 3 games Balt played against Cincy, in the game right before we played, they hardly blitzed (again a blueprint) that we didn't follow either. Baltimore almost kicked them out with a backup QB and no one on offense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

They have not drafted well. They haven't drafted a Pro Bowler since 2018. He's drafted a bunch of role players, but no blue chip talent.

This is all true, I can't deny any of it. But on the other hand if the 3 former All-Pro defensive players(Hyde, Poyer & Von)stay relatively healthy & our 4th former All-Pro came back and was even close to the player he was by the playoffs, then this would've been a totally different team. Because for one the talent over their replacement is huge or in Poyer's case him healthy vs what he was injured and Hamlin's injury never happens because he's not playing, Hyde is.

29 minutes ago, Lost said:

Has there been instances of him actually doing this?   The only play calling I ever see him do is calling for an extra point after TD

Looked like he did on Sunday from where I was sitting for a bit after it was 14-0. He was down on a knee coaching up the DL after that 2nd TD, Leslie was just standing there. Sean had the Surface tablet and was flipping through the play sheets like crazy. The Bills next Defensive series Sean was flipping through the play charts and talking right into the microphone, looked like Leslie was standing right next tom him, didn't seem like he was doing anything from my vantage point (13 rows up on the 12ish yard line)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.