Free Agents and Offseason Situation

BillsFanForever19

My own personally opinion on the FA. Not that my opinion matters. LOL! For us to keep some of the below, i think some of the vets that are on big contracts need to get renegotiated to free up cap space. Like Josh, Von, Stefon, and Tre. Even Dion. 

QB:
Case Keenum - Keep on the cheap

RB:
Devin Singletary - Probably will be gone
Taiwan Jones - Gone

WR:
Jamison Crowder - Gone
Jake Kumerow - Gone

TE:
Tommy Sweeney - Gone

OL:
Rodger Saffold - Gone
David Quessenberry - Gone
Greg Van Rotten - Gone
Ike Boettger - Gone
Bobby Hart - Gone
Justin Murray - Gone

DE:
Shaq Lawson -Keep

DT:
Jordan Phillips- Keep

LB:
Tremaine Edmunds - Keep
Tyrel Dodson - Gone
A.J. Klein - Keep if we can get a reasonable contract
Tyler Matakevitch - Gone

CB:
Dane Jackson - Gone
Cam Lewis - Gone

S:
Jordan Poyer - Keep
Dean Marlowe - Gone
Jaquon Johnson  - Gone

P:
Sam Martin - Keep or Gone, easily replaceable.

11 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Jordan Poyer and Tremaine Edmunds get all the attention as far as our upcoming Free Agents go. But taking a look today, I was a little taken aback at the amount of bodies that we will have to bring back or find replacements for:

QB:
Case Keenum:  don't bring back.  Too expensive at any amount.  Keep Barkley, draft a rookie in the 7th.  Seems to be a trend.  Draft someone with JA like ability (running, big arm, work on other stuff).  If Allen is hurt, we are beyond screwed unless Bean somehow gets talent in other positions.  

RB:
Devin Singletary:  bye.  Good player, but we have Cook, and will draft another RB (hopefully Robinson from TX).  
Taiwan Jones  grr.  This current FO will keep this guy.  But he adds nothing.  A rookie can and should replace him.  

WR:
Jamison Crowder bye.  Keep Beasley if possible.  Too injured all the time.  
Jake Kumerow  also, bye.  Have a rookie take his place.  

IS "Smoke" signed next year?  

TE:
Tommy Sweeney   not needed.  Q Morris is better.  

OL:
Rodger Saffold:  Draft, or better FA.  
David Quessenberry:  Same as Saffold (unless can resign for decent money) 
Greg Van Rotten:  Same as above (unless can resign for decent money)  
Ike Boettger:  Would like to keep.  
Bobby Hart:  nope
Justin Murray:  Who?   

DE:
Shaq Lawson  This one I might keep at a reasonable price.  Good against the run.  

DT:
Jordan Phillips  Also may keep at a reasonable price.  

LB:
Tremaine Edmunds  Nope, someone will overpay him.  Need an impact player,  Edmunds is good, but Milano is a more impact player.  
Tyrel Dodson  
A.J. Klein  keep at same price?  
Tyler Matakevitch  

CB:
Dane Jackson:  would like to keepNebut too expensive.  Hopefully we are not hurt all season next year and don't need so many CB backups.  
Cam Lewis:  same /w Jackson.  

S:
Jordan Poyer:  hate to see him go, but appears "over the hill" at the end of the season.  Would keep if low cost, and draft a safety also.  He may not get a huge FA contract. 
Dean Marlowe:  keep.  Good backup. 
Jaquon Johnson:  no thanks.  

P:
Sam Martin:  just get a low priced punter.  He was good, perhaps bring him back.  

It's simple to say we let most of them walk for being JAG's or whatever. But for everyone we let walk, we have to get a replacement to fill out our roster. 

And depending on where you look, we're sitting at either 3.5-8.5 million over the cap. Just like the "let 'em walk" crowd - I've heard we can cut a number of players to create cap space. But then those bodies will also have to be replaced.

We also only have 6 draft picks this offseason (1 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd, 1 4th, and 2 5th's), once again picking low at 28 - given our regular season record.

The long and short of it is, Brandon Beane is going to have to get REALLY creative this offseason to fill out the roster. I see so many people say "we need improvements (here or there)" and "they can make cap space whenever they want". But it's going to be very difficult to fill out the 53 with improvements and good depth across the board.

He's really going to have to hit on all our Draft picks, find some diamonds in the rough, and get lucky on some Undrafted prospects as well.

Wow, great work.  I'll put in my thoughts above.  Overall, Bean has screwed us by missing on so many rookie picks in the past (Basham, Ford, Rosseau even (he's a 2nd DE, not a top game-changer).  Next year could be a very difficult year.  I can see us trading out of round 1 for more picks given this current issue.  But I don't trust Bean to find impact players.  

1 hour ago, TN Bills Fan said:

Everyone of those can go.  Clearly Tre White is not the same player.  They are stuck with him so he’ll be moved to Poyer’s spot.  They need a player like Phillips but he never plays.  I think this might be a two/three year rebuild.  

Tre cannot play safety in the NFL. He wouldn’t last the season in this defensive scheme as a safety. 

12 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Jordan Poyer and Tremaine Edmunds get all the attention as far as our upcoming Free Agents go. But taking a look today, I was a little taken aback at the amount of bodies that we will have to bring back or find replacements for:

QB:
Case Keenum

RB:
Devin Singletary
Taiwan Jones

WR:
Jamison Crowder 
Jake Kumerow

TE:
Tommy Sweeney

OL:
Rodger Saffold
David Quessenberry
Greg Van Rotten
Ike Boettger
Bobby Hart
Justin Murray

DE:
Shaq Lawson 

DT:
Jordan Phillips

LB:
Tremaine Edmunds
Tyrel Dodson
A.J. Klein
Tyler Matakevitch

CB:
Dane Jackson
Cam Lewis

S:
Jordan Poyer
Dean Marlowe
Jaquon Johnson 

P:
Sam Martin

It's simple to say we let most of them walk for being JAG's or whatever. But for everyone we let walk, we have to get a replacement to fill out our roster. 

And depending on where you look, we're sitting at either 3.5-8.5 million over the cap. Just like the "let 'em walk" crowd - I've heard we can cut a number of players to create cap space. But then those bodies will also have to be replaced.

We also only have 6 draft picks this offseason (1 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd, 1 4th, and 2 5th's), once again picking low at 28 - given our regular season record.

The long and short of it is, Brandon Beane is going to have to get REALLY creative this offseason to fill out the roster. I see so many people say "we need improvements (here or there)" and "they can make cap space whenever they want". But it's going to be very difficult to fill out the 53 with improvements and good depth across the board.

He's really going to have to hit on all our Draft picks, find some diamonds in the rough, and get lucky on some Undrafted prospects as well.

This is nothing getting Josh to restructure alone can free up to 25 million as they just kick his deal and spread money out down the road it’s not like they need another QB anytime soon. 

Poyer- re-sign… he’s a core team leader, still a good player, and nobody’s gonna break the bank for him

White - I seriously consider moving on if he’s not significantly better by training camp.  Everybody’s gameplan seemed to be attacking him.  That’s a major concern.

Edmunds - since there’s no circumstance where I’d give him a penny more than Milano, I’m sure he’ll get more money somewhere else.  

Lawson- re-sign… he was one of our better Ends and he’ll be cheap 

Phillips - guy is washed up. no thanks 

Oliver - following in the footsteps of Edmunds.  Under no circumstance do you sign him to a long term deal unless he miraculously has a break out year

Hyde, Poyer, Elam, Jackson, Benford, White (maybe), Taron, Milano, Bernard or under $5m Edmunds replacement, Groot, Miller, Lawson, Epenesa and Basham(because those 2 are still cheap), Settle, Jones, Oliver and vet Min or late round rookie at DT.  That defense should be as good as this year and then I’m using my high draft picks and free agency dollars on offense 

Edited by BuffaloRebound

On 1/22/2023 at 11:47 PM, SCBills said:

Seems easy to me. 

Let Poyer walk. 

Trade Oliver. 

Then I’m fine if they re-sign Edmunds. 

Rest of the guys can be brought back cheap and/or replaced with similar guys in low level FA. 

Day 1 and Day 2, all three of those picks… WR, OL, OL.  

Fill in the Defense and a RB on Day 3. 

This is exactly how I see it, including the draft picks

14 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

There seems to be a lot of hate for Ed Oliver. But he was performing well on a consistent basis before Von Miller went down. 

He was a top 10 pick and he hasn't shown to be a consistent pass rusher. Jeffery Simmons from the same draft class has 6.5 more sacks in 5 less games with arguably a lesser surrounding cast. 

Well the AI Bot ChatGPT has some good suggestions for managing the cap 😂😂

What is the best way to manage the salary cap in the NFL?

Managing the salary cap in the NFL is a complex task that requires careful planning and strategic decision-making. Some key strategies for managing the salary cap in the NFL include:

1) Prioritizing long-term contracts: Teams can create more cap space by signing players to long-term contracts, which spread out the salary cap hit over multiple years.

2) Using performance-based incentives: Teams can include performance-based incentives in contracts, which allow them to pay players more if they meet certain performance benchmarks.

3) Managing dead cap space: Dead cap space is the amount of money a team must pay to players no longer on the roster. Teams can manage dead cap space by structuring contracts in a way that limits the amount of dead cap space created when a player is released.

4) Making smart cuts: Teams must make difficult decisions when players do not meet expectations or when a team is in a salary cap crunch. Cutting a high-priced player can be a way to create cap space.

5) Utilizing Restructuring: Restructuring a player's contract can also be an effective way to create cap space. By converting some of a player's salary into a signing bonus, teams can spread the cap hit over multiple years.

6) Keeping an eye on the future: Teams must constantly be aware of future salary cap ramifications as they make decisions today. This means keeping an eye on the contracts of key players that will be up soon and the cap space they will have available in the future.

Ultimately, managing the salary cap in the NFL is a challenging task that requires teams to make difficult decisions, balance short-term needs with long-term goals, and stay on top of the ever-changing salary cap landscape

Edited by Big Turk

Next Year is going to be a step backwards IMO.... We have to let 1/3 of our roster go and find better replacements

Add in the fact that in hindsight we draft like turds that order just got taller.

then we obviously have inferior coaching because other teams have weak areas but remain strong and dominant when the time comes

On 1/22/2023 at 11:42 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

QB:
Case Keenum

RB:
Devin Singletary
Taiwan Jones

WR:
Jamison Crowder 

Cole Beasley
Jake Kumerow

TE:
Tommy Sweeney

OL:
Rodger Saffold
David Quessenberry
Greg Van Rotten
Ike Boettger
Bobby Hart
Justin Murray

DE:
Shaq Lawson 

DT:
Jordan Phillips

LB:
Tremaine Edmunds
Tyrel Dodson (Restricted)
A.J. Klein
Tyler Matakevitch

CB:
Dane Jackson (Restricted)
Cam Lewis (Restricted)

S:
Jordan Poyer
Dean Marlowe
Jaquon Johnson 

P:
Sam Martin

If I had my way and the draft fell in my direction, I'm drafting Bijan Robinson to help take load of Josh Allen. I'm using one of my 5s to move up in rd 2 to draft Zay Flowers. Rest of draft is offensive linemen. I'd bring back Mitch to backup Josh. Try to work 1 yr contracts on Phillips, Beasley, Poyer, Martin. Reach out to Jerry Hughes for 1 year SB run. Keep Edmunds. Move on from Frazier. Joe Brady for OC. Let Dorsey move on. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.