McDermott The Only Defensive Head Coach in Divisional Round

ArtVandalay

49 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

I hate the heat Reid gets over this.

Reid made McNabb into a PB QB. Not the other way around imo. They lost to GSOT Rams in 01. By like 4 points or something. They lost to the 02 Bucs historic D. They lost to the much better team (Patriots) in Super Bowl. 

Reid made Smith a PB QB after he looked like a bust in SF. Made the PO four times with him BEFORE Mahomes started.

I think Reid was a HOFer before winning a Super Bowl. Yes, there is no question that Mahomes makes it easier. But the guy was a great coach from the start imo.

Let's put it this way: Reid made the postseason with a rejuvenated Vick he turned around. Alex Smith. Henne looked good out there today.

The supposed top coach of all time has done.....nothing without Tom Brady. 

Note: I am a Bills & Football fan too. I lived in Philly. Those people think you did a miserable job if there wasn't a SB win. They look at it as all or nothing. Without any regard for the fact there is another team on that other sideline. 

I want to add that I am not arguing with you. I am going against what the media, Philly people, and others have always said about Reid.

I’m also not saying Reid was a bad coach before he won … he has always been a great coach even if he has usually always had good talent 

it does take 2 to tango … and smith and Mcnabb were no slouches either but he had an ability to coach them up 

and BB took a mediocre team with a rag armed rookie QB to the playoffs last year and was within 1 game this year… I wouldn’t knock his coaching prowess either 

9 hours ago, balln said:

I think it matters. It skews our draft and FA. We have choir boys that may be good team mates but aren’t getting it done on the field. Basham, AJE, and Greg aren’t impact players. We need impact players. Our team only has Allen, diggs and Von. Milano MaY be a fringe impact / difference maker. 

So you must think McDermott is an amazing coach because we went 13-3 with only 2 impact players during the season because one of them went on IR.

Could Andy Reid go 13-3 with only 2 impact players?  

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, StHustle said:

As much as I hate to admit it, Mahomes is the better QB. He is more even kilter and protects the ball better. As close as they are in many areas, that gives Mahomes the edge. With that said, I wouldn’t trade Josh for Mahomes…he fits in so well with the city and who cares he isn’t quite as good as a Mahomes overall, he still gives us a GREAT shot at what we’ve all been wanting!

He had two fewer INTS than josh this year I believe.

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

What’s your point? 

Stay the course even if the Bills consistently blow it in the playoffs? 

What’s your point? Because they haven’t won the super bowl, sack McD and Beane?  Brilliant!

After 20 years of drought these guys have taken the Bills to 5 years of playoffs out of 6. Found a franchise quarterback. But of course you know better….🙄

3 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Reid made McNabb into a PB QB. Not the other way around imo. They lost to GSOT Rams in 01. By like 4 points or something. They lost to the 02 Bucs historic D. They lost to the much better team (Patriots) in Super Bowl. 

Reid made Smith a PB QB after he looked like a bust in SF. Made the PO four times with him BEFORE Mahomes started.

I think Reid was a HOFer before winning a Super Bowl. Yes, there is no question that Mahomes makes it easier. But the guy was a great coach from the start imo.

Let's put it this way: Reid made the postseason with a rejuvenated Vick he turned around. Alex Smith. Henne looked good out there today.

Note: I am a Bills & Football fan too. I lived in Philly. Those people think you did a miserable job if there wasn't a SB win. They look at it as all or nothing. Without any regard for the fact there is another team on that other sideline. 

I want to add that I am not arguing with you. I am going against what the media, Philly people, and others have always said about Reid.

Alex Smith was turning his career around before Reid.  The 49ers won the division two years in a row with the and lost the NFC Championship game against on a muffed punt.  They went 13-3 that year. He was 6-2 the following season before getting hurt and then Kapernick came.

Smith then signed a 4 year extension one year after being traded to KC.  Reid wasn’t some miracle worker with Smith.

Mike Vick busted one year after signing that extension with the Eagles and went 8-8 and 4-12 in the following season under Reid.  Does Reid not deserve criticism for that contract?  After signing a $100,000,000 contract, Nick Foles was the starter 2 years later.

The Eagles were favorites against the Bucs and Panthers in the NFC Championship game and lost.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Alex Smith was turning his career around before Reid.  The 49ers won the division two years in a row with the and lost the NFC Championship game against on a muffed punt.  They went 13-3 that year. He was 6-2 the following season before getting hurt and then Kapernick came.

Smith then signed a 4 year extension one year after being traded to KC.  Reid wasn’t some miracle worker with Smith.

Mike Vick busted one year after signing that extension with the Eagles and went 8-8 and 4-12 in the following season under Reid.  Does Reid not deserve criticism for that contract?  After signing a $100,000,000 contract, Nick Foles was the starter 2 years later.

The Eagles were favorites against the Bucs and Panthers in the NFC Championship game and lost.

Smith got benched for Kap. Yes he was playing better. But Reid elevated him. It was when the defense held Pittsburgh to five fg's at Arrowhead, and the KC offense didn't do much, that the organization realized Smith was good. But they wanted great. Thus, the infamous 2017 draft trade up. 

The Eagles were favorites against the Bucs because of the Bucs history in cold weather. The receivers were James Thrash and Todd Pinkston going against one of the all time great defenses ever. Now, was Reid in charge of personnel back then? Idk. But losing to that Bucs team isn't that huge of an upset. 

Panthers loss? I don't even remember that. I think that is the year the Carolina kicker kicked it out of bounds and gave NE a shorter field to win that SB. I totally forgot who Carolina even beat to get to that point. Alas, it was the Eagles.

Reid, as a coach, is top five for me. I hold him responsible for some contracts handed out and clock management issues.

As a coach,I take him over McD everyday. I believe Allen would be even better with Reid. This can all change if McD and company get it done and best KC along the way.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

It’s a team game… He had really good teams in Philadelphia

They were good enough to win the Super Bowl and he never did… 

Just like Marv and the bills never one 1 with great teams …. Sometimes it takes as much luck as talent to win the whole thing

The greatest Thrower of a football ever Dan Marino has zero Super Bowls… And played with one of the greatest coaches

It’s tough to win

Except they had to play the two GOATS. Great qb's usually win in the modern era and Brady surely qualifies.

5 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Note: I am a Bills & Football fan too. I lived in Philly. Those people think you did a miserable job if there wasn't a SB win. They look at it as all or nothing.

I lived in Philly as a Bills Fan then as well. I remember thinking the Eagles were crazy hiring this oversized, droll personality who was a qb coach from GB. Then he chooses to start a clear backup qb named Doug Pederson to let the rookie, McNabb learn. Over the years, I begrudgingly acknowledged how good Andy was. How much he got from his team. His patience. Since leaving his legacy has obviously been cemented.

11 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

That’s a fair assessment.

I definitely agree there are no excuses.

I just wonder how much is it Beane vs Mcd if the pass rush can’t get home .

Todays game is about not being out coached by a younger head coach with a less experienced franchise QB. I really believe it comes down to  Sean’s coordinators; they know what he expects and they have to come thru.  This D has been victimized even when statistically it seems they should dominate. Frazier needs to prove today all his experience matters.  Why is it he is not getting Hc interviews despite apparent top tier defenses over time?  Ageism? Maybe.  But maybe it’s because things l8e 13 seconds happened. It can’t happen again.

Mcd has said he was sure Dorsey wanted some series back , like the two bomb throws on a quick 3 and out last week.  Dorsey has every weapon available and even some from last year.   It’s his first year in the playoffs, so each step is still a learning process.  The o can score , we just need turnover free possessions. So imo, rests on Frazier , having had a glimpse what Cincy was going to do and attack.  He got a reprieve; and even one of his players got a one in real life.  Cincy has a worse O line than in the first game. It’s now a home game and you have Mafia noise to support you. Go after them Leslie!  Hit the QB , make them be patient and try to run. How bout for once we don’t give up 7 immediately on the first drive ; don’t let them get cocky?   Beane tried the best he could but luck ruined that plan. Today Sean needs competent , quality coaching around him.  Take this and you’re one game away from a chance at a SB at a neutral site ; finally not in Kc , not where 13 seconds ruined things. You are set up to be good today, experience says you have an edge.  Today had to be good!   Good luck and Go Bills! 

13 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Should give us an advantage vs offenses but we shall see. We have the best QB (shouldn't be an argument with a hobbled Mahomes) and a defensive coach. Either this recipe works this year or never. Bengals have a tattered OLine, Mahomes has 1 leg, will not get another opportunity like this, let's get it. Put up or shut up. 

Mahomes was faking it for the headlines. We'll hear how tough he is for the next ten years now. 😉

1 hour ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Smith got benched for Kap. Yes he was playing better. But Reid elevated him. It was when the defense held Pittsburgh to five fg's at Arrowhead, and the KC offense didn't do much, that the organization realized Smith was good. But they wanted great. Thus, the infamous 2017 draft trade up. 

The Eagles were favorites against the Bucs because of the Bucs history in cold weather. The receivers were James Thrash and Todd Pinkston going against one of the all time great defenses ever. Now, was Reid in charge of personnel back then? Idk. But losing to that Bucs team isn't that huge of an upset. 

Panthers loss? I don't even remember that. I think that is the year the Carolina kicker kicked it out of bounds and gave NE a shorter field to win that SB. I totally forgot who Carolina even beat to get to that point. Alas, it was the Eagles.

Reid, as a coach, is top five for me. I hold him responsible for some contracts handed out and clock management issues.

As a coach,I take him over McD everyday. I believe Allen would be even better with Reid. This can all change if McD and company get it done and best KC along the way.

Kap played out of his mind and took them to the Super Bowl.

Harbaugh lost the NFCCG with Alex Smith at QB by a muffed punt.  Reid couldn’t get there with Smith but elevated him?  Smith was the same QB with both coaches.  

The Eagles were favorites because they were supposed to win the game.  They didn’t.  

You can make every excuse why it took him 20 years but it doesn’t change the fact it took 20 years.

He wasn’t a good post season coach until he got Mahomes.  He is currently 1-5 against the Bills and Bengals in the last 6 meetings.  He was a below .500 coach in the playoffs before Mahomes.

• Eyeroll 1

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Agreed…. A whole ***** ton of resources spent on that side of the ball. Time for it to pay off…. And I’m kind’ve tired of the injury excuse to Miller and Hyde. It hurts but every team has injuries, and they’ve stacked up everywhere on defense besides those two.

Is this team not 11 and three? What excuses have the bills used all year long whenever they have been a walking mash unit

They found a way to win

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’m not taking the credit away from them…. Does that mean they get a free pass for life and remain here no matter what?

The goal is a SB victory. They’ll continue to be here for as long as the team is successful, but like I said, even with that success if they choke/blow playoffs games like we’ve seen it should be considered. Just my unpopular opinion.

You’re not going to see coaches, fired after the team had an 11 and three season even if we would’ve lost against Miami that wouldn’t have happened and they would’ve looked like idiots if they had done that

Edited by John from Riverside

Because he gives Allen freedom.   99% of defensive minded coaches make the offense go super conservative after the second quarter vs Miami.   Look at Staley with LAC.  Up big they went ball control and blew the game to Jacksonville.

Mcdermott has instilled confidence in Allen to be his best.  You cant get last years playoff Allen without riding out games like last week.  Forcing the offense to run more on first down and using other coach speak from the 80’s and 90’s is why many defensive coaches fail today.

In the analytic world Mcdermott has found the balance imo.  He will be aggressive, he will also kick and punt.  Keeping the opposing team guessing is still important in these games.  Knowing what the other team will do is an advantage.  Its tough to accurately determine what Mcdermott will do in each situation.  Each situation requires an individual decision. Many are too aggressive or too conservative.

3 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

What’s your point? Because they haven’t won the super bowl, sack McD and Beane?  Brilliant!

After 20 years of drought these guys have taken the Bills to 5 years of playoffs out of 6. Found a franchise quarterback. But of course you know better….🙄

Not that I don't like McD but there is a reason there was a 20 year drought and a reason why McD has been successful and they are not all because he is some great coach. The 20 year drought coincides with Tom Brady being in the AFC East, and McD's success coincides with Brady's departure. As a head coach McD has been absolutely awful making in game decisions like challenges, and timeouts, etc. I think coaches get WAY to much credit in a team's success and failures that then deserve, at least at the NFL level where player talent is so high.

1 minute ago, TuelTime said:

Not that I don't like McD but there is a reason there was a 20 year drought and a reason why McD has been successful and they are not all because he is some great coach. The 20 year drought coincides with Tom Brady being in the AFC East, and McD's success coincides with Brady's departure. As a head coach McD has been absolutely awful making in game decisions like challenges, and timeouts, etc. I think coaches get WAY to much credit in a team's success and failures that then deserve, at least at the NFL level where player talent is so high.

I think organization stability and creating a positive culture would have made Buffalo a thorn in the side of Bradys Pats.  The Bills have faced alot of adversity and expectations.  Mcdermott was able to keep the team on track through it all.

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep. Until he got Patrick Mahomes…. McD has a guy on his level and arguably better…. Not saying fire the guy if the defense gets torched again, but I think the strategy of loading up everywhere on defense will need to change.

You have a once in a generation qb. You should be surrounding him with every offensive resource available. But instead our defensive HC spends 65% of his resources on defense. Why do you think he aggressively went after Von.  Because his 3 drafted DE's were hardly elite. I know it's sacrilegious on this board to critique McD.  He got a pass after :13.  Does he get another today if we can't get past 3 backup olineman?  Let's not kid ourselves people, our "bend don't break" defense is the reason Josh feels he has to be Superman.  83% of the offense. 

• Awesome! (+1) 3

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

You have a once in a generation qb. You should be surrounding him with every offensive resource available. But instead our defensive HC spends 65% of his resources on defense. Why do you think he aggressively went after Von.  Because his 3 drafted DE's were hardly elite. I know it's sacrilegious on this board to critique McD.  He got a pass after :13.  Does he get another today if we can't get past 3 backup olineman?  Let's not kid ourselves people, our "bend don't break" defense is the reason Josh feels he has to be Superman.  83% of the offense. 

Well said, but I’d counter that Josh would still be Josh even if he had the 85 Bears defense.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

We need to improve the oline. Mahomes has one of the best. Ours is average on a good day.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If he doesn’t get it done today…I don’t even wanna go there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.