Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t want Jordan Phillips for anything more than the minimum. Dude can OT be counted on to be healthy.  Ever

I understand this sentiment, but he's also built for this scheme.  He excels in this system when healthy.  Personally, I'd like to see him back, but obviously the cheaper the better. 

5 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

I’m not involving Davis in any deal for DH

I think I’d agree.   Unless it’s some multi-player massive trade, and even then I’d have to see what we’re looking at. 

A) I think Davis is still in the Bills long term plans regardless of a Hopkins trade 

B) If he’s not, I’d rather shop Davis on his own.. as I think he has some legitimate trade value. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, papazoid said:

if kc gets hopkins....i'm going to have to avoid this place for a week......the doom and gloom crowd will be unbearable

Only a week? Lol

It will be Armageddon here at least until training camp.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

They wouldn't do that cap wise. They would still rework his deal. Probably more gtd $$$, but lengthen to where the cap hits are easier to handle the next two years. Need $$$ for rookies and other signings is need be. 

Just now, H2o said:

They wouldn't do that cap wise. They would still rework his deal. Probably more gtd $$$, but lengthen to where the cap hits are easier to handle the next two years. Need $$$ for rookies and other signings is need be. 

Right, I think he's saying it allows us to acquire him and then rework the deal after

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I think I’d agree.   Unless it’s some multi-player massive trade, and even then I’d have to see what we’re looking at. 

A) I think Davis is still in the Bills long term plans regardless of a Hopkins trade 

B) If he’s not, I’d rather shop Davis on his own.. as I think he has some legitimate trade value. 

I would love to see you show me the #s on how we can afford Davis long-term, if Dhop is traded for...

Agree with others saying this board is going to have some ppl go over the edge, once another week, 2 weeks, month goes by and we didn't trade for Dhop...

It's great to have hopes for improving the team, but too many ppl buying into a false fantasy here and trying to "will this to happen" in their minds/rationalize it

The Davis discussion is interesting, if you call him wr2, that ufa value seems to be between 12 to 14 million do you earmark that cap for him or can you find a similar or better skillset to replace him in the rd2 to rd4 range? I think you can...

Oliver isn't worth his 5th yr cap hit,  I imagine his camp wants his 10.5 million or higher,  probably shooting for around 12, again where do you want to invest your money? Jones and settle are up next year as well, so on the course of 2 offseasons you could potentially be looking at replacing the entire middle of the defense.

What decisions are better just to get on with it sooner rather than later? 

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

no way I would trade Gabe Davis... isn't the idea to build and add weapons for the offense?

Could still draft a WR early.  

All depends on their long term view of Davis. 

Bills/Harty both made mention of him being WR4.  Inside/Outside guy who rotates in. 

Diggs is WR1. 

Sherfield is WR6. 

That leaves WR2, WR3 and WR5 however they decide to settle those positions. 

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

I would love to see you show me the #s on how we can afford Davis long-term, if Dhop is traded for...

Agree with others saying this board is going to have some ppl go over the edge, once another week, 2 weeks, month goes by and we didn't trade for Dhop...

It's great to have hopes for improving the team, but too many ppl buying into a false fantasy here and trying to "will this to happen" in their minds/rationalize it

Easy. 

Let’s say Bills lock down Hopkins, guaranteed, for 2 years. 

Davis on his rookie contract this year.  

You structure a low cap hit for year one of his extension.  Then heavier cap hits as Hopkins comes off the books. 

Could still draft a WR early.  

All depends on their long term view of Davis. 

Bills/Harty both made mention of him being WR4.  Inside/Outside guy who rotates in. 

Diggs is WR1. 

Sherfield is WR6. 

That leaves WR2, WR3 and WR5 however they decide to settle those positions. 

true... and Gabe is about to be ready for a new contract, which if he has a great season, will mean huge $$

3 hours ago, nosejob said:

Or Shakir. I would rather give up a Boogie and /or a 2024 pick.

Well ya, but if we view Boogie as a disappointment- why would we think he holds any value? I will never understand when people discuss trades and say 'oh lets give them player x (our junk)' instead of the guy you like. If he hold little value to you, its probably safe to assume he holds little value to them.

Edited by gobills1212
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, gobills1212 said:

Well ya, but if we view Boogie as a disappointment- why would we think he holds any value? I will never understand when people discuss trades and sat 'oh lets give them player x (our junk)' instead of the guy you like. If he hold little value to you, its probably safe to assume he holds little value to them.

Here’s the thing on these types of players.  

If the Bills had high grades on guys like Oliver and Basham, so did other scouts/GM’s. 

You obviously aren’t getting great trade value for them after they’ve been meh during multiple years of their rookie contracts, but if you’re simply looking to unload the cap hit/player for a Day 3 pick … lots of GM’s are willing to throw you a Day 3 to see if a guy they liked a few years ago is a better fit in their scheme or with their coaches. 

Just now, SCBills said:

Easy. 

Let’s say Bills lock down Hopkins, guaranteed, for 2 years. 

Davis on his rookie contract this year.  

You structure a low cap hit for year one of his extension.  Then heavier cap hits as Hopkins comes off the books. 

See this is the problem with not actually looking at the #s more closely....

"easy" is not the word to explain it.  

Our 2024 and 2025 cap situation is already very tight, will get significantly worse by converting a Dhop base salary to bonus....then in 2026 the voided years (which many suggest we do), accelerates to a 1-time dead cap...just when you're suggesting to have Davis' deal kick in.

This is then assuming Groot/others will be difficult to afford at that point.  

Beane is an extraordinarily planned/strategic decision maker.  He has these scenarios in front of him and seeing how this puts us in cap hell in a few years.