Is Josh the de facto OC?

Inigo Montoya

18 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

This team scores 30+ points and looks out of sorts all the time.

Most teams 30+ points is a miracle

Absolutely right.  I expect 30 as a floor for the Bills.  Me & my rose-coloured glasses.

I remember the 96 yard drive before half vs. KC.  I never had a doubt they weren't going to score (they fumbled away the first possession, blew it on downs the next....). 

Now I'm no where near as confident (though I do expect it).     

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Ekeler caught 107 passes this year and the Chargers scored 23.0 ppg (13th in the NFL). 

So only one example there, but checking down can only get you so far. 

I use the Chargers because that is another rocket armed QB, with issues the type of WRs he has to work with and style of the OC. 

I can agree with others, that this offense should have been closer to 30 ppg with less red zone turnovers. 

Sounds like you’re an analytics guy. Shoot the three pointer instead of the layup. I tend to be more of a keep moving the sticks sort of a guy. To each his own. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

His % completion is right there with most QB's and he does take underneath stuff.  The issue is there are no receivers running or schemed open.  Our backs are underutilized and when was the last time a screen was drawn up that gained 15+ yards.

Again look at the YAC #'s that are not good.

That is not true. We have underneath guys open plenty. But we are a touchdown to checkdown offense. At times they have got that balance wrong this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Absolutely right.  I expect 30 as a floor for the Bills.  Me & my rose-coloured glasses.

I remember the 96 yard drive before half vs. KC.  I never had a doubt they weren't going to score (they fumbled away the first possession, blew it on downs the next....). 

Now I'm no where near as confident (though I do expect it).     

You expect the #1 offense in the league.

Not in a mean way, but no NFL team this year averaged 30 ppg. 

So if 30 is the floor, then what is the ceiling? 35 ppg? 

That's 1998 Minnesota Vikings. 

That takes dynamic QB, great RB, two HOF receivers and a great line, usually with one HOFer on it. 

I wouldn't call Josh the 'defacto OC' but as others have said, a good percentage of our yards are gained on improvisations.  And that's concerning.

Sometimes the OL doesn't hold up, so Josh has to scramble and the receivers start altering their routes.

Sometimes the receivers don't gain separation so Josh starts running around.   

While I appreciate Josh's ability to make lemonade out of lemons, I'd be happier to see a team that can call a good play and then make it work.  

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Anyone who thinks the Bills offence (based on expectations) is running efficiently, I don't know what to say to them.🙄

They have scored 32, 35 & 35 in their last 3 games and for the first time in 2 months Josh's elbow seems to be better. He was finally able to throw deep again on Sunday. That makes the offense much more dangerous.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Imo, outside of a not so good O line, Josh not taking the open short pass with minor frequency is a notable part of why we struggle at times, again, imo, taking the short stuff will make the rest of the offensive scheme click, and just plain wear out / demoralize defenses with greater efficiency. But what the “ F “ do I know…, 

Actually , I have felt the same . And then Allen completes so crazy low percentage high reward pass.
I hope he matures his game at some point and does give in to some "boring" throws and plays. Let the players like Cook Hines and even McK get some YAC or break one. Let Devin get a solid 1st down off a check down even :)
 Josh is a young buck who mostly wants to , and can  Make the big plays.

Must drive his Linemen nuts though. But they sure get their cardio in for those 4-6 second plays wondering where the hell Josh is behind them 

Go Bills

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Sounds like you’re an analytics guy. Shoot the three pointer instead of the layup. I tend to be more of a keep moving the sticks sort of a guy. To each his own. 

time of possession is something worth striving for, and wearing down their defense

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

No argument there, the question I wonder about is what the breakdown is between schedule vs off schedule for the Bills.  I would guess the Bills have a higher percentage of off schedule plays than anyone.  The incredible thing is that it is so successful.

There is a famous line from a German general during WWII when asked why it was so hard to fight the American army.  He said that all warfare is chaos and the American army practices chaos on a daily basis.  That's how I see the Bills offense with Allen.

You should watch some Cardinals games. Kyler runs around more than anyone.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I'm a simple man. I see a post crapping on the O-line, I click "Like."

what if i suggested that that Bills O line has become decent to slightly better than ?
As mentioned , he takes over 4 seconds to wait for his WR to get open (?)
They must be doing something right this last half -1 /4 of the season. And the run game is there now suddenly (love you Aaron )
stop liking that crap

LOL 

3 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

They have scored 32, 35 & 35 in their last 3 games and for the first time in 2 months Josh's elbow seems to be better. He was finally able to throw deep again on Sunday. That makes the offense much more dangerous.

I’m not sure two kick returns count as offense.

12 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Thank you for your valuable contribution to the conversation.

🙂

Awesome!

11 hours ago, Beast said:

I don’t think we would have witnessed Dorsey lose his ***** at the end of the Miami game if he wasn’t fully responsible for coaching that side of the ball.

Ok...why is that and why is it relative?

10 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Regardless of what you think, the offence to me has been off most of the year.  20+ points is not the issue with this offence, but there are too many 3 & outs and disjointed drives.

I will repeat over and over that it is because we don't have simple pitch & catch plays and receivers don't make those tough catches and Josh seems to have to will the Bills too many times.

I agree with your concerns.  Just move the ball and chains.  Josh will make the big plays when needed and they are not always needed.

• Eyeroll 1

38 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I’m not sure two kick returns count as offense.

No, but they were also denied 2 drives because of them and another on the NE 4th quarter punt that touched a Bills player. 

They only had 8 drives(not counting the kneel down) on Sunday and scored tds on 3 of them. It should've been 4 if not for our stellar #2 WR. Couldn't find this year's numbers, but 37.5% is 11 points higher than the league average last year. And that's against a top 10 defense in yards and points allowed. They're that good despite a 26th ranked offense. 

The Bills scored more than any team not named KC and only trail them by .8 ppg. If that's not efficient enough for fans, I think It's time for them to reset their expectations.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Manther said:

I agree with your concerns.  Just move the ball and chains.  Josh will make the big plays when needed and they are not always needed.

10 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Regardless of what you think, the offence to me has been off most of the year.  20+ points is not the issue with this offence, but there are too many 3 & outs and disjointed drives.

I will repeat over and over that it is because we don't have simple pitch & catch plays and receivers don't make those tough catches and Josh seems to have to will the Bills too many times.

The offense scored 28.4 ppg in both 2021 & 2022. This year's offense averaged a few more ypg than last year. In 2021 the offense averaged .46 more 1st downs per game.

Some fans have this rosier than true memory of our offense last year, I believe, because of the playoffs. We're exactly as good as last year's offense was. We just turned it up in the playoffs and played alot more soundly. I expect we'll see the same.

The same with Josh, everyone's like yeah he played great at the end of the year and it carried over into the playoffs. Reality......In week 17 against Atlanta he completed 42.3% of his passes, threw 3 ints, 0 tds and posted his worst passer rating of his career, so low, it matched his uniform number. Imo he plays more sound and he's more focused in big games and against elite teams than he does/is against the lesser ones

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.