Is Josh the de facto OC?

Inigo Montoya

58 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I think the majority of Allen fans thinks that is the case. 

Then the majority of Allen fans think incorrectly

Too much seemingly broken plays and improvisation by Josh (Cooks and Davis TDs that were rabbits pulled out of hats).

The Knox TD, give the line credit they gave him time, but NE was wary of Allen running.

Allen running is part of the Bills arsenal of weapons and its impact on defenses is part of the game plan

It has to be realized (and this is a point Kurt Warner and others have made) that on some "broken plays" where Allen runs or delays and makes a totally improbable throw, there is an "easy" button waiting for him in the form of a short throw with YAC to be made, but Allen seldom takes those when they are most effective (that is to say, immediately).

So seldom do we see easy completions and receivers running open on let's say a wheel route or a simple swing with 10 yards of open field ahead.  

As said two things we don't see are the easy wide open receptions or the 50/50 or difficult ones.

We have seen both.  Sometimes Allen misses the throw (wheel route to Hines).

The problem is, other teams scout tendencies.  Since it's been well known most of the season that Allen will ignore short quick completions with YAC in favor of trying to force the ball in to a double-covered receiver downfield, offenses play us accordingly.  It's relatively hard to scheme up "easy completions" when there are 3 guys running routes and 5 DB in coverage plus a dime or LB who can choose what to do.

Allen has spoken about this indirectly in his pre-Thursday night interview with Fitz.  He said that the QB has to see the field as an extension of the OC and that has taken some time, but they're getting to a good place now.  The implication is that Allen was NOT seeing the field as an extension of the OC at times.  I think it's true that there has been a disconnect between Allen and Dorsey at times.

However once in a while we see a good play call, just no where near often enough.

In the words of Josh Allen, "Okay"

Edited by Beck Water

I am among those who has not always been happy with Dorsey's playcalling this year.

HOWEVER, it is important to point out that the Bills offense finished the season ranked:

2nd in DVOA
2nd in PPG

2nd in YPG

7th in Rushing YPG 

7th in Passing YPG

In case it's not obvious, that's really good offensive production, especially for a first year offensive coordinator and a team that lacks a quality slot receiver and boasts a mediocre (and oft injured) offensive line.

The Dorsey hate/doubt is a bit much among Bills fans.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Then the majority of Allen fans think incorrectly

Allen running is part of the Bills arsenal of weapons and its impact on defenses is part of the game plan

It has to be realized (and this is a point Kurt Warner and others have made) that on some "broken plays" where Allen runs or delays and makes a totally improbable throw, there is an "easy" button waiting for him in the form of a short throw with YAC to be made, but Allen seldom takes those when they are most effective (that is to say, immediately).

We have seen both.  Sometimes Allen misses the throw (wheel route to Hines).

The problem is, other teams scout tendencies.  Since it's been well known most of the season that Allen will ignore short quick completions with YAC in favor of trying to force the ball in to a double-covered receiver downfield, offenses play us accordingly.  It's relatively hard to scheme up "easy completions" when there are 3 guys running routes and 5 DB in coverage plus a dime or LB who can choose what to do.

Allen has spoken about this indirectly in his pre-Thursday night interview with Fitz.  He said that the QB has to see the field as an extension of the OC and that has taken some time, but they're getting to a good place now.  The implication is that Allen was NOT seeing the field as an extension of the OC at times.  I think it's true that there has been a disconnect between Allen and Dorsey at times.

In the words of Josh Allen, "Okay"

His reads are deep to shallow

It's a function of the offense, he's not ignoring thrm

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

This has been the offense for the last three years

I agree to a point but I think Josh ran Daboll's offense a little more by the book even during Josh's 4th season when he had already proven his ability to make off schedule plays.  Like some have mentioned above, I think there are less lay ups for Josh in Dorsey's offense.  Josh made a living throwing those quick WR slants and slot receiver come back routes under Daboll.  Those just don't seem to be in the playbook anymore. Most of the pre-snap motion, jet sweeps, and trickeration is gone too. 

I've heard that defenders are calling out the plays when the Bills offense lines up and I wonder if Dorsey's play calling is predictable but the offense is being saved by Josh's unpredictability.

🍻

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

His reads are deep to shallow

It's a function of the offense, he's not ignoring thrm

C'mon Man.  Yes, sometimes the reads are deep to shallow.  Sometimes the pre-snap or post-snap read is that there's an unblocked defender so the QB is supposed to take the quick route. 

We've all seen Josh dealing with that situation by evading (or stiff arming) the defender and buying time, buying time when the shallow routes are there.  That's not a "function of the offense" or the play design.

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I agree to a point but I think Josh ran Daboll's offense a little more by the book even during Josh's 4th season when he had already proven his ability to make off schedule plays.  Like some have mentioned above, I think there are less lay ups for Josh in Dorsey's offense.  Josh made a living throwing those quick WR slants and slot receiver come back routes under Daboll.  Those just don't seem to be in the playbook anymore. Most of the pre-snap motion, jet sweeps, and trickeration is gone too. 

I've heard that defenders are calling out the plays when the Bills offense lines up and I wonder if Dorsey's play calling is predictable but the offense is being saved by Josh's unpredictability.

🍻

I guess I don't agree on the slants

Diggs catches about one of those per game

McKenzie doesn't get open like Beasley used to so agree on slot

Overall it's a very similar offense to Daboll, yes it can be predictable but the offensive line quality deteines a lot of what you can and can't run

Allen covers a ton of shortcomings both scheme related and personnel 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

Listen to the Off Tackle podcast with John Fina. He called out a few plays against the Pats that were poorly designed, let alone executed. I fear that Dorsey may not be the guy we need.

This is probably true.  I spent the first year of Daboll's tenure here trying to figure out WTF a play design was supposed to actually do, and a good part of the second year being able to see what Daboll was trying to do but thinking it was either 1) too cute or 2) ineffective

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

C'mon Man.  Yes, sometimes the reads are deep to shallow.  Sometimes the pre-snap or post-snap read is that there's an unblocked defender so the QB is supposed to take the quick route. 

We've all seen Josh dealing with that situation by evading (or stiff arming) the defender and buying time, buying time when the shallow routes are there.  That's not a "function of the offense" or the play design.

No that's not his rule

Mac Jones and Allen could have taken quick throws on both blitzes they saw Sunday

Instead two TDs to Parker and Diggs

• Inigo Montoya changed the title to Is Josh the de facto OC?
2 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

He is the reason any OC will "look good" in Buffalo but he is not the OC.

I think some QBs are coach killers like Mayfield and Murray.  Other QBs are meal tickets and I think that's what Josh is.  If Dorsey gets the Panthers HC job I think Joe Brady will step in as OC and get another HC position the following year after looking great with Josh under center.  The Bills OC position will be the hottest non- head coaching job in the league as long as Josh is there.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Defenders recognizing plays happens to just about every offense by this time of the year, and the Bills have some formations that are "tells".

I think Cover1 said that only about 20-30% of the offense has been retained from Daboll to Dorsey.

Part of the issue is personnel.  In Beasley, Allen had a slot receiver who could reliably diagnose and get open against zone coverage.  Allen trusted Beasley and they talked about how they worked together to watch film and discuss how they were going to play certain looks.  He also had a canny veteran who could get open against both man (provided he wasn't getting held) and zone coverage in Sanders, who could also play in the slot.

That guy is not on the team this year.  McKenzie is better able to get open against man coverage.  He's spottier in his abilities to get open against zone.  But rightly or wrongly, I just don't think Allen feels a rappore with McKenzie or watches film with him the same way he watched film with Beasley.  The "Tell" was something McKenzie said after Allen hurt his elbow and was limited in practice, that Allen told him "I didn't realize you were running that route that way, can you run it this way instead?"  Why would it take until week 9 and an injury for that conversation to take place?

Something is broken there, which was working with Beasley.   Maybe it's communication with Chad Hall who then coaches the WR on what Dorsey and Allen expect of each route.  Maybe it's that with canny veterans Brown then Sanders and Beasley, guys just "knew" stuff that McKenzie and Shakir and Cook need to have spelled out and be explicitly told.

People in another thread are responding to data that Dorsey isn't using Davis in the slot as much as Daboll did by saying "Dorsey should put Davis in the slot!".  Well, it's not so simple.  If you have Diggs and Sanders releasing and you put Davis in the slot, you get 3 WR running a route.  If you have Diggs and McKenzie releasing and you put Davis in the slot, you have 2 WR running a route if the defense presses or jams the receivers.  There's a personnel issue driving usage. 

The bottom line is with Crowder breaking a leg and Shakir perhaps not developing and contributing as the Bills had hoped, then Davis and McKenzie not being ready to take that step, the Bills have a talent gap at WR.

• Like (+1) 1

Regardless of what you think, the offence to me has been off most of the year.  20+ points is not the issue with this offence, but there are too many 3 & outs and disjointed drives.

I will repeat over and over that it is because we don't have simple pitch & catch plays and receivers don't make those tough catches and Josh seems to have to will the Bills too many times.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.