Bench Davis and start Brown!

peterpan

7 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Davis might honestly be the worst #2 of any team in the playoffs.

…which is not very encouraging. So tired of it being on Allen and Diggs all the time through the air and then once every 4-5 weeks Davis does something impersonating a #2.

Thankfully there has been more Knox in the second half of the season.

EDIT: and respectfully, fyi, Davis is the 87th leading receiver in the league with Allen at QB.

is the 87th ranked PFF WR becasue in yards for the season he is 33rd, i get he drops some passes but so does every WR.....He is very good run blocker as well.  The affinity for the posters on here that have this hate crush on Davis is unreal.  

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

It is overblown, but there is a point to be made the yardage stands for itself. However, he cannot be dropping touchdown passes and hit him right square in the hands that’s the money play in the playoffs.

That pass completion probabilty was  below 40% teh defender had something to do with it.  It wasn't just a hit you in the hands ball and you drop it ,,,,, again WR's all have drops

People have said it all year, it’s his catching technique.

The tries to basket catch everything and it hits his chest.

Todays dropped TD was a mirror image of the Jets 70-yarder. 

Ball gets into his chest.

And we know Gabe, he’s has to get by his man, he doesn’t make any contested catches or pluck/high-point the ball. 

1 hour ago, ILBillsfan said:

is the 87th ranked PFF WR becasue in yards for the season he is 33rd, i get he drops some passes but so does every WR.....He is very good run blocker as well.  The affinity for the posters on here that have this hate crush on Davis is unreal.  

That pass completion probabilty was  below 40% teh defender had something to do with it.  It wasn't just a hit you in the hands ball and you drop it ,,,,, again WR's all have drops

It’s real, it’s well earned and it is woefully under what was expected going into the season and there is no good excuse for it, as well as giving him a pass on his drops is like saying it’s ok for a goalie to have a low save percentage.

70, 78, 82, 79, 73 and 68 are the #2 wide receiver totals by the AFC playoff teams.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

1 hour ago, ILBillsfan said:

That ball absolutely should’ve been caught by Davis. It was into his body and good receivers catch that.

55 minutes ago, familykwi said:

I’d actually prefer to sit McKenzie

I agree.  Useless on the field as a Wr

53 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

That ball absolutely should’ve been caught by Davis. It was into his body and good receivers catch that.

It absolutely should have.  Thought so in the live play, then many replays confirmed it.  Just like the basket drop to him in the game to tie it and he drops it, never touched by the defender 

8 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Never said he was a legitimate #1

He's having an off year but he still has 836 yards in 15 games. I would think that's typical production for a #2 WR. 

Almost half of this has come from 2 games we won by 3+ scores im fairly certain.

That doesnt help our offense. We need consistency

Bease will need to step up.

Brown had a great catch for sure, doesn’t necessarily elevate him to number 2.

McKenzie.  Done with him. Bease should get his playing time for sure, but..

Shakir should have been developed better this year. Not sure if he had trouble getting open, running routes or blocking, but wish he had had more impact.  Seems over the last few games any pass to him was either a throw away over his head, or into traffic that most players would have trouble with.  His catch and YAC yesterday was nice. Exactly the type of play we need from him.

Davis.  Dude has the yips.  May be part of Allen’s struggles this year? Not able to depend on him when he wants? Can’t bench, he’s too good.  Can’t have him continue like he has though, dude has got to get better. Maybe if the team has an actual real week before a game, Josh and him can spend some time to try and get past this.

edit.  Dorsey needs to do better incorporating the run game and taking some pressure off Josh. Game was going bills way and Josh was still in shotgun throwing.  Need to run to kill clock.  Need to have an effective run game to open the pass game.

Edited by davefan66

I do think he needs to lose some play time, these drops can end a season, he seems to have lost confidence.   Davis works his butt off and is a great teammate, he does whatever it takes including being on the field almost every play and blocking well.  But if a receiver cannot receive that just does not work.

15 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Does anyone know how fast Brown is, right now?

I would imagine he has lost a few steps; he did have a spectacular TD catch today though.

The team knows better than us how fast/slow he is; that could be a factor.

Replacing Davis is an off-season project IMO.

Well, he was able to burn the Pats DB. Looked pretty fast to me..

15 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Davis has had a terrible season. 

And I'm kinda sick of this "he's been hurt" narrative. It's been 3 months, if this was going to hamper a guy for that long, go to IR and get it right.

Part of reaching the Franchise QB contract portion of the build is trusting your draft picks to pick up the slack. The final playoff game left everyone assuming Davis would be fine, but he's not. You _have_ to address WR2 this offseason. If Davis "heals" and returns to his reliable self, then maybe you have a third outside WR who can offer flexibility in terms of injury or rotational depth.

If I'm McDermott, I'd be evaluating my WR Coach this offseason. It seems like they can bring in guys who have already been developed & they're fine, but I don't see a WR draft pick that has rounded into consistent form.

Davis should be embarrassed at his catch-to-target %.

Edited by pocoboy

15 hours ago, peterpan said:

We can’t afford 2-3-4 drops a game out of Davis in the playoffs.  Brown has been here for a few weeks now, and should be up to speed.  His catch today proves he still has it.

give the reliable vet the start over the young guy with feet for hands.

I am not sure Brown's body and skills are up to the task of being elevated to #2. However, Davis' snap count should go down in favor of Brown and Shakir.

Allen has been focusing on the short and medium passing game (which is very good, @Beck Water), but we saw yesterday that the dagger is slammed in with the deep balls.  

If Davis' ankle is still bothering him, I don't see how you can rely on him to make those tightrope catches on the sideline. Davis seems limited by something or other. The drops have been mystifying. His catching technique is different than other receivers and maybe the coaches are trying to change this but something's up in his head. Since Allen got hurt, the whole passing game seems off. Allen has been throwing more than his share of bad balls and, more bothersome, ignoring the wide open guy for the riskier chunk play. 

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

will be good to see the all 22, think it will shed some light to thep ost. it from some different angles. I'm not going to get into pissing matches on a dropped ball that was contested imo they happen even wide open passes get dropped

Important factors Davis is a great run blocker over 800 yards recieving 33rd in the NFL and is the BBMB beat up person for some fans that are making silly statements that John Brown should be starting over him..oh 13-3 playoff home games pretty good season ...Go Bills!!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.