Revisiting the Tre White to Safety thread

HOUSE

I did a search and a pop up said the thread is old and to start a new one.

When I first saw the original I thought it was a bad idea.

Safety is a different animal,  the action is in front of you. A player with good instincts can pick off a lot of passes. 

Tre White is struggling at CB right now and he may be a better fit there till next season.

Just a thought.....

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

9 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Safety is a different animal,  the action is in front of you. A player with good instincts can pick off a lot of passes. 

Tre White is struggling at CB right now and he may be a better fit there till next season.

Just a thought.....

If we were talking ravens style defense back in Ed Reeds day with a Free safety? Sure, maybe…  In this defense both safety need to tackle RBs and tight ends.

It’s just not Tre

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think the Bengals showed we have to do something in our secondary against passing offenses.

I think a switch to Dime with only Poyer is a better move. 

White has taken over full reps at one corner position, and Dane is the other outside starter. Johnson mans the slot at 100% rep count.

But that leaves Elam glued to the bench, and Benford will be stuck there when he gets recalled.

And the Safety position is a mess because there is no closing speed or playmaking without Poyer.

We’ve seen Jaquan Johnson in the run (Jets) and pass game (Dolphins), you want him out there against Chase, Higgins and Boyd?

Cam Lewis looked like he was going in for Hamlin in Cincinnati, we’ve seen the Vikings game, but beyond that he’s never shown starter ability.

Mayden is never going to see the field, I don’t know why they made that move. 

Marlowe is inactive every week. 

I don’t think Frazier or McDermott will change anything, but Tre White at 100% snaps looks really bad. 

And we’ve seen the 2-high not work in the Playoffs against elite passing offenses. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I dunno.. he’s at his best when he’s stuck on the WR. I see him get lost in space.

All the INTs I can remember him making were in zone.

I think this is still premature, though. The only way he can get better is to keep chugging along at CB. I think the coaches are going to be ultra patient with him (as they have been) and make coverage adjustments as necessary.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Less contact, twisting and turning

He might actually have more confidence there...

I always said he was headed to that position in a few years once he lost his supreme mobility. I don’t think we could judge it until next year when he is 100%. Today’s circumstances may dictate that if the other kid is back this week maybe you are right that he could be cycled into that role at times experimentally now. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

All the INTs I can remember him making were in zone.

I think this is still premature, though. The only way he can get better is to keep chugging along at CB. I think the coaches are going to be ultra patient with him (as they have been) and make coverage adjustments as necessary.

Playing the Pats will be a nice “get well” week for Tre at CB.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Just a thought.....

Can you provide a summary of the old thread? 

• Haha (+1) 2

I really only see two scenarios that would give me confidence: (1) Hyde comes back, which would give better support behind the corners, and (2) we run with a dime package as @Straight Hucklebuckhas mentioned. 

I hope and believe the former will happen (less sure than I was prior the Hamlin incident), and I don't expect our coaches to do the latter. 

Edit: maybe Benford could play safety, which although totally untried and unlikely, is alluring to me in the "please not Johnson or Lewis" sort of sense. Hopefully Marlowe will play this weekend and make us feel better. But the last few weeks don't make me think that the coaches will play him.

Edited by NickelCity
  • Like (+1) 2

Tre was absolutely exposed by the Bengals. They were going as far as to pick on him. Now I'm wondering if teams weren't going after him previously based solely on his reputation. I don't think he will get challenged by anyone the Pats have on Sunday but it's something to keep an eye on in the playoffs 

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Just a thought.....

having trouble with his lifelong job, so should probably start a new one in the playoffs. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.