Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

From what I've been told to expect, this outcome is on the very upper end of what was possible.  

It's probably fair to start thinking more about what this injury means for Hamlin career-wise.  Obviously that wasn't the main focus yesterday.  If this was really commotio cordis, my understanding is that there's excellent chance that he returns to football.  Things change if there's an underlying heart issue that nobody knew about.  That will all get sorted out of course.

Yeah, still a bit too soon.  At this point he got off the ventilator, but that probably means the cardiologists have a backlog of tests they've deferred because they're hard to do while the guy is on a ventilator.  Let's get him up and walking and finish up the diagnosis first.

30 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

If any of the neurological tests include explaining the AFC playoff picture, I think they set the bar too high at UCMC. 

What amazing news to wake up to today. (I’m on the west coast, not just lazy). 

“Damar, quick, what happens if the Chiefs tie the Raiders and then the Bills and Bengals both win on Sunday?”

• Haha (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

How about maybe we get to the AFCCG, and by then he may be able to yell the right here right now from his hospital or rehab facility.

Guys, he has a long road to recovery, and thinking he’s walking out of the tunnel Sunday is presumptuous.  I work with the ICU for other reasons, but he’s going to need a lot of time.  

Maybe the home opener he can be there next year.  For now baby steps.

Im just glad I just saw the announcement he’s breathing on his own and was extubated this morning (oxygen tube removed).  A really good sign.  In addition, his neurological exams have all been positive as I was

worried the most the lack of oxygen while getting cpr could’ve caused permanent brain damage.  A lot of organs can regenerate, but not the brain.

Hey, I’ll provide a compromise.  How about his parents do from the hospital room with Damar just giving a thumbs up or #1 symbol.

”When it’s too tough for them, it’s just right for us”!  The other phrase is fine, but given what he went through, the other Marvism makes sense.

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

Most likely true.  But it seemed to me, based on the doctors PC, that the next step after getting him off of ventilation was getting him home with his family.  I didn't hear anything about the additional step of a rehab facility   

I mean, it was a press conference, and they're ICU docs.  "Home with his family" is the near term goal, but they're not going to spell out all the possible intermediate steps and decision making plusses and minuses nor should they.

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

From what I've been told to expect, this outcome is on the very upper end of what was possible.  

It's probably fair to start thinking more about what this injury means for Hamlin career-wise.  Obviously that wasn't the main focus yesterday.  If this was really commotio cordis, my understanding is that there's excellent chance that he returns to football.  Things change if there's an underlying heart issue that nobody knew about.  That will all get sorted out of course.

That's interesting,  I haven't read all the thread, is there a reputable source that he can play again if it is indeed commotio cordis?  Routine hit to the chest on the T-wave upslope will induce a fatal arrhythmia.   

I would think that would be the end of his football career or is it somehow manageable?

Great news... little envious of all the mental health counselors serving this team as a guy who works in healthcare and how little is paid attention to our mental health especially during covid... im fine now but would have been nice but in 2002 seeing stuff like this multiple times daily has me jaded about our priorities as a society... not sure the answer but yeh im envious.

2 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

That's interesting,  I haven't read all the thread, is there a reputable source that he can play again if it is indeed commotio cordis?  Routine hit to the chest on the T-wave upslope will induce a fatal arrhythmia.   

I would think that would be the end of his football career or is it somehow manageable?

To be 100% clear, I'm not a doctor.  I'm just going on what I've been by doctors elsewhere.  The way it was explained to me is that commotio cordis is a freak injury that has no realistic chance or reoccurrence.  Or more technically, Hamlin's chance of suffering such an injury in the future would be no worse than any other player's 

However, none of those doctors are even remotely convinced that this was commotio cordis.  Apparently it's impossible for anyone to have reached such a diagnosis at this point.  An undiagnosed heart ailment is possible.  A respiratory infection is possible (I don't get it either).  We don't know right now.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

A stress echo can give additional info as to whether left ventricle outflow tract obstruction occurs with exercise (stress). it may give helpful data in borderline cases
See https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/ten-points-to-remember/2017/11/17/09/17/role-of-exercise-testing-in-hypertrophic-cardiomyopathy

Since commitio cordis is a diagnosis of exclusion, I’m guessing his docs will do all they can to rule out alternate diagnoses. 

Thanks for the info and excellent reference.   I gather from the article that this type of echo is really needed to assess limitations of physical activity including assessing transient blood flow restrictions during exercise.

So I see where you're coming from with what may have caused the arrhythmia in this case.

I'm still left with my original question that isn't this degree of hypertrophy measurable with a routine echo, even when Damar was sedated?

Is the exercise echo is more of a secondary assessment?

2 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Everyone is at risk for commotio cordis and it's not something that you can really manage. It's an exceptionally rare combination of being hit with enough force in the exact right spot at the exact right millisecond. If that does end up being the final diagnosis I see no reason why he couldn't return to the NFL. 

Chris Pronger suffered from commotio cordis in '98 after being hit in the chest with a puck and played in the NHL another 10+ seasons. 

• Agree 2

56 minutes ago, Mango said:

To put things back in football perspective with Damar looking to be an absolute miracle. 

Maybe we build DH into the pregame week after week?

Week 18 - silence and an announcement. 

Wild Card- The training staff lead the charge. 
Divisional - Recorded Video in the stadium

Conference - With any luck he can lead us out of the tunnel! 

Superbowl - game winning pick 6

...or have we used up our quota of miracles?

4 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

To be 100% clear, I'm not a doctor.  I'm just going on what I've been by doctors elsewhere.  The way it was explained to me is that commotio cordis is a freak injury that has no realistic chance or reoccurrence.  Or more technically, Hamlin's chance of suffering such an injury in the future would be no worse than any other player's 

However, none of those doctors are even remotely convinced that this was commotio cordis.  Apparently it's impossible for anyone to have reached such a diagnosis at this point.  An undiagnosed heart ailment is possible.  A respiratory infection is possible (I don't get it either).  We don't know right now.

Thanks, I'm not a doctor either but the ER doc I work with thought it at least appeared to be a classic example of CC with the way it went down.  Certainly we don't know the cause yet, but I have trouble agreeing with your docs that CC recurrence would be an extremely low probability for a professional football player.  If they don't have a way to prevent recurrence,  I'd say end of career.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Bengals fans who are all salty that their team is getting screwed need to remember that the Bengals captains reportedly came to the Bills locker room to say "we don't want to continue the game either".  They had their own emotions and processing, less than the Bills but still - very hard to play undistracted with a single mind, and very possible to get hurt if you don't.

Agreed. You can't watch a scene like that and not be shaken up, regardless of which team you're on.

When I was a teenager, I played in a softball league. During one game, a guy on the opposing team collapsed on the field. Two guys on our bench went out and delivered CPR. This was way before cell phones, so it took time for someone drive to the nearest payphone and call an ambulance. By the time the paramedics arrived, it was too late. I didn't know the guy, but I was shaken nonetheless, as were all of the players on both teams.

There was never a discussion of continuing the game. Both teams simply packed up, said a prayer, and left. 

• Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.