Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Over 6 Million to his charity now

Love seeing the country unite for this young man.   I'm getting messages from family members who aren't even football fans, much less Bills fans saying they donated to it.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

can we keep this thread about Damar please.  Keep your agendas to another thread kindly.

"Fight on, my men,” Sir Andrew Said “A little I’m hurt but not yet slain. I’ll just lie down and bleed a while, And then I’ll rise and Fight again."

Fight on Damar! Rise again!

Thank you.  Needed that this morning.

Just now, CEN-CAL17 said:

I’m just surprised there has been zero info from the hospital. A statement, breakdown of events…. 

Not saying it’s bad, just nothing other than from his personal friends and family.

Unless they get permission from the family I don't think the hospital can release any information other than to confirm that he's there and receiving care.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, CEN-CAL17 said:

I’m just surprised there has been zero info from the hospital. A statement, breakdown of events…. 

Not saying it’s bad, just nothing other than from his personal friends and family.

They’ll take him off the ventilator and he may not make it despite any number of positive indicators.  I think it makes a lot of sense not to give official statements.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DaggersEOD said:

The way my layman’s understanding goes, is that if it was a 1:1,000,000 bad luck hit, then the heart essentially stalled. Meaning it was good to go, freak accident, restart the “engine” and go along on your merry way. 

If there were multiple resuscitations, then that takes the freak hit off the list of probable causes. 

Every football game there are players hit in the chest during similar intervals. Football players also wear pads.

Commotio Cordis usually happens in baseball.

If this indeed was Commotio Cordis, it is possible he has an underlying condition. For example, if he has myocarditis (heart inflammation) due to an infection, this would significantly increase his chances of a cardiac arrest during the contact.

Correlation is not causation. It is possible the hit may of had nothing to do with the cardiac arrest. Many young athletes die every year due to some undiagnosed heart condition.

It should also be pointed out Chris Pronger who was hit in the chest by a puck in 1998 was unconscious for only 20 seconds. If you watch the full video he is conscious, talking, and moving when leaving the ice rink.

Edited by dabillsfan85
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

It's her. She is a retired reporter, not a doctor and IMO incredibly misguided in posting some study with conditions completely unlike what happened to Hamlin. 

Yeah but, she was really good at getting TBD shirts for the tailgate!

10 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Here is some high-quality insight into what is likely going on in situations such as Hamlin's.  Some speculation as well, albeit from very good sources.  

https://triblive.com/sports/next-24-hours-critical-to-hamlin-recovery-experts-say/

Here is literature on prognosis and therapy after cardiac arrest induced coma:

https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/article/prognosis-and-therapy-after-cardiac-arrest-induced-coma/2009-08

Screenshot-2023-01-04-082910.png

Some patients regain complete neurological function in a period of days or months. Other patients never regain neurological function. As many have stated before, this could be a marathon.

32 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I know we all keep checking for updates multiple times per day. I think unfortunately there just isn't really anything to report right now. Damar's family would be thrilled to get positive news to report and would have that leaked or have the hospital staff make a statement. But the situation is still critical. 

36 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

While this is a unique situation all over the news and whatnot.  It would be an exception for a hospital to talk about the situation publicly and they would need permission to do so.  There are laws about this stuff.   Also, from having been through dire situations with loved ones I can tell you sometimes you just have to wait.  People assume no news is bad news but its not.   If the DR's knew there was dramatic negative things going on they would tell his family, we dont know what they have said other than from interviews from his uncle and whatnot, it all sounds to me like this is wait and see.  There are risks but there is probably also reason to be optimistic.

40 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Unless they get permission from the family I don't think the hospital can release any information other than to confirm that he's there and receiving care.

Ya, osha laws etc. Also I don't think there's much to tell outside of he's still sedated

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.