2023 Draft- Wide Receiver discussion

NewEra

On 12/29/2022 at 4:15 AM, NewEra said:

It’s looking like We’ll be looking to draft at least 1 WR in the first 2 days of the draft.  We’ve gone back to John Brown and Cole Beasley.  Two moves that I’m happy about…. Which is why WR must be addressed early in the draft.  

I just wanted to get the discussion going and see who you guys like and in which rounds.

Just from watching a decent amount of college football this year and watching a couple hours of highlights, this WR group has some intriguing talent and some electricity in small packages.

I’ll get it started by talking about the guys I’ve seen the most of.  

Quintin Johnston-  TCU-   Early on in the process (only watched live games and highlights), I think I’d give up this years 1st and next years 2nd for him.  6’4, 215 tackle breaking rac monster.  He looks special to me and I think he’ll be a top 10 pick and the 1st wr taken. He’d be perfect compliment to Diggs and a sure fire hall of famer with Josh throwing to him….. as long as he clean up his concentration lapse drops.  As of 12/29, he’s the guy I want.  A guy can dream.  😔 

Kayshon Boutte-  LSU-  disappointing junior year and I’m hearing serious character issues.  Dunno if he’s a McD type.  He’s electric with the ball in his hand.  His tape from freshman to junior year looks so much different though.  I want the freshman version.  6’0 185ish. 

Rashee Rice-  SMU-  not sure what to think about him.  His tape doesn’t wow me but he’s tough. Solid route runner and catches the ball.  Tough in the open field and making contested catches. 6’2 200.  Rd 2?

Cedric Tillman-   6’3 215 34.5 inch arm-  if he runs in the 4.4’s, could he be a 1st rd pick or is he 2nd rd bound like Pickens was?   Similar in speed and stature to gabe but excels in contested catches and is tough after the catch, unlike Gabe. 

Then there’s the undersized speed demons-  such an interesting group.  I was hoping to add a wr with speed and also some size- preferably with a larger catch radius and plus contested catch.  Basically, I don’t want another Mckenzie body clone.  Not that all of these WRs are Dirty body clones, but are sub 180ish lbs.  

What are your guys thoughts on these guys:

Jalin Wyatt

Josh Downs

Zay Flowers

All 3 big time speed threats- but are they big enough to hold up as a go to playmaker and be worthy a late 1st round pick?  Wyatt and Downs could be day 1 selections.  Flowers likely 2. 

anyone have knowledge of Tyler Harrell?  Marquez Stevenson-like but probably faster and more built.   Where do you guys think he’ll be drafted?

Those are the guys I know most about at the moment- eager to hear what you guys think about them and the others. 

would love more info on:

Jaxon Smith-Njigba 

Jordan Addison

parker Washington

AT Perry

Trey Palmer

Jonathan Mingo

Johnny Wilson

Dontayvion Wicks

Ainias Smith

Puka Nacua

Go Bills

Beane ain’t taking a WR day 1 or two. Expect safety or DL.

On 12/29/2022 at 10:52 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that OL & WR will be the 1st 2 picks in whichever order. I’d be REALLY surprised if they added another defensive player early. They have to invest around Allen at this point.

Personally, I think that the medicals this year was just a way to protect himself. I know that the OSU fans have been annoyed but I don’t blame him. I believe that he can, and will, play in and out in the NFL (like Diggs). Without the injury there is no way that JSN would have fallen to 30 (or whatever). He’s going to be a great pro, day 1, imo. 

It's going to be like when Jamar Chase opted out of the COVID year. No one talks about that anymore lol

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Beane ain’t taking a WR day 1 or two. Expect safety or DL.

You could be right, but will you put your money where your mouth is?  I got $100 that says he uses a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick on a WR (either in the draft or in a trade.  Bet?

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

i realize everything that you’re saying….. I’m not arguing with you. You’re just a broken record.  

My point is this…..if you say the same thing in every post people will find you annoying.  When people find you annoying, they will call you out. Don’t be surprised or butt hurt when it happens.  

Butt hurt?  Haha. Not even close. Just don’t appreciate your constant singling me out when I have something to say.  Let’s see what Beane does this off-season and leave it at that. 

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You could be right, but will you put your money where your mouth is?  I got $100 that says he uses a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick on a WR (either in the draft or in a trade.  Bet?

No?  I would be ecstatic with a 1st or 2nd round WR. In this upcoming class, a third rounder would be meh.

I just think the Bills philosophy is a little more  "Josh can cover holes on offense, we need as many playmakers as possible on defense" than I would like. Combined with the fact that I think this years draft is a little WR top-heavy, Von may not be healthy entering next season, and Antonio Johnson may be bouncing around the late 20s, I just don't see Beane doing a reach for a WR

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

Butt hurt?  Haha. Not even close. Just don’t appreciate your constant singling me out when I have something to say.  Let’s see what Beane does this off-season and leave it at that. 

Just because I’m calling you or doesn’t mean I’m not calling anyone else out.  You’re just one of several members of the Sadness Brigade that I call out.

How about YOU wait and see what Beane does this offseason rather than B**** about him in every post.  I don’t like everything Beane does. I didn’t like the Elam pick.  I hated the Basham pick with a passion. I didn’t like the AJ pick. I didn’t like the Doyle pick.  I hated the Bernard pick.  I hated the Zack Moss pick.  I was hoping he would’ve added a higher caliber WR this offseason. I was hoping he’d do the same along the OL. 

i just don’t lament about it in every post.  I’ve moved on.  You pointing out his mistakes won’t make them go away and surely won’t have an affect on what he does in the future.  It just makes you look like a sniveling child.  

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Just because I’m calling you or doesn’t mean I’m not calling anyone else out.  You’re just one of several members of the Sadness Brigade that I call out.

How about YOU wait and see what Beane does this offseason rather than B**** about him in every post.  I don’t like everything Beane does. I didn’t like the Elam pick.  I hated the Basham pick with a passion. I didn’t like the AJ pick. I didn’t like the Doyle pick.  I hated the Bernard pick.  I hated the Zack Moss pick.  I was hoping he would’ve added a higher caliber WR this offseason. I was hoping he’d do the same along the OL. 

i just don’t lament about it in every post.  I’ve moved on.  You pointing out his mistakes won’t make them go away and surely won’t have an affect on what he does in the future.  It just makes you look like a sniveling child.  

You literally can’t help yourself in every post you make without throwing some sort of insult out there. That’s what makes you look like a huge d***. I’m done with you though. If pointing out Beane will probably draft a defensive player in the first round again upsets you then so be it. Even though I’ve said multiple times I trust that he will make it right this off-season. Whatever. 

Edited by whorlnut

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

No?  I would be ecstatic with a 1st or 2nd round WR. In this upcoming class, a third rounder would be meh.

I just think the Bills philosophy is a little more  "Josh can cover holes on offense, we need as many playmakers as possible on defense" than I would like. Combined with the fact that I think this years draft is a little WR top-heavy, Von may not be healthy entering next season, and Antonio Johnson may be bouncing around the late 20s, I just don't see Beane doing a reach for a WR

I figured as much.  Just another know it all that likes to run his mouth.  

It’s January 1 and you’re saying all the WRs available for us in rd 1 will be a reach. If only we all knew as much as you.  More importantly, if only Beane knew as much as you. 

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

You literally can’t help yourself in every post you make without throwing some sort of insult out there. That’s what makes you look like a huge d***. I’m done with you though. If pointing out Beane will probably draft a defensive player in the first round again upsets you then so be it. Even though I’ve said multiple times I trust that he will make it right this off-season. Whatever. 

I’ve said countless times….saying that doesn’t bother me.  Say whatever you want to say.  I just don’t understand your need to do so in almost every post.  Every post comes back to Beane and his neglecting the offense for defense. 

“I trust that he will make it right this offseason”…….LOL. Then why do you say the opposite in every post?  This is gold. 

39 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s January 1 and you’re saying all the WRs available for us in rd 1 will be a reach. If only we all knew as much as you.  More importantly, if only Beane knew as much as you.

It's a message board.

Well, we'd have the same number of SB wins, that's for sure lol.

You're a know-it-all too right?  You hated the Elam pick, the Basham pick, the Doyle pick, the Bernard pick?  Why did you hate them?  Because you thought you knew better than Beane?

Edited by FireChans
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’ve said countless times….saying that doesn’t bother me.  Say whatever you want to say.  I just don’t understand your need to do so in almost every post.  Every post comes back to Beane and his neglecting the offense for defense. 

“I trust that he will make it right this offseason”…….LOL. Then why do you say the opposite in every post?  This is gold. 

Keep being you. You agree with me but argue just to argue. Pretty sad. Also…keep in mind that you started this thread on “looking like we will be drafting a WR” this year. Don’t be surprised when some people are a bit skeptical when we haven’t drafted a WR before round 4 since Beane got here. Unless you want to include the trade for Diggs, which is understandable. And I’ve been on record as saying I think Beane will do right by Allen this year, it’s just that past history shows that he values defense early and often. But I guess if you want to argue just to be difficult, I will wait for your next post. 

Edited by whorlnut

20 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It's a message board.

Well, we'd have the same number of SB wins, that's for sure lol.

You're a know-it-all too right?  You hated the Elam pick, the Basham pick, the Doyle pick, the Bernard pick?  Why did you hate them?  Because you thought you knew better than Beane?

Lol no.  Maybe that how you would rationalize it.  I hated them because after the research I had done, I didn’t like the players that we chose, each for different reasons.  

Guess what I did next?  I moved on.  I didn’t let everyone on the board know that I hated the picks in every post for the next 6 months….or 6 years.  hack my life kevin GIF by truTV

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Lol no.  Maybe that how you would rationalize it.  I hated them because after the research I had done, I didn’t like the players that we chose, each for different reasons.  

Guess what I did next?  I moved on.  I didn’t let everyone on the board know that I hated the picks in every post for the next 6 months….or 6 years.  hack my life kevin GIF by truTV

So you think you knew better than Beane IRT those picks. Because he did his own research and disagreed with you. 

Thanks for playing. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

So you think you knew better than Beane IRT those picks. Because he did his own research and disagreed with you. 

Thanks for playing. 

lol….I have an opinion on players.  I don’t necessarily think that my opinion of said players is the bottom line.  I’ve been wrong thousands of times and I realize that I’m a novice…..and he and his staff professionals.  They know better than i the majority of the time.  Sometimes I’m right and Beane is wrong….just like everyone else. All GMs make mistakes.   I just don’t feel compelled to rant about it on a message board each and every day.  

44 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Keep being you. You agree with me but argue just to argue. Pretty sad. Also…keep in mind that you started this thread on “looking like we will be drafting a WR” this year. Don’t be surprised when some people are a bit skeptical when we haven’t drafted a WR before round 4 since Beane got here. Unless you want to include the trade for Diggs, which is understandable. And I’ve been on record as saying I think Beane will do right by Allen this year, it’s just that past history shows that he values defense early and often. But I guess if you want to argue just to be difficult, I will wait for your next post. 

It’s real simple man.  Add me to ignore.  You won’t realize that I call out several folks and not just you.  

The more you say the same thing over and over again, the more I’ll call you out about it.  What makes matters even worse:  you say the say things over and over and over  and over again AND THEN say that you now trust him.  If you trust him…..why continue to lament on the past?  You say one thing and your actions say something entirely different.  

• Haha (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2022 at 10:28 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Can we add JSN to the list? Last year, he was the best of the Buckeyes WRs and that includes Olave & Garrett Wilson. He actually reminds me a little of Diggs. He can win anywhere & would be the OROY in the Bills offense.

Garrett Wilson agrees with you...he even said it in interviews before and again when asked he said "He stands on that" and said they called him "The Natural".

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I hope we draft a wr in either the 1st or 2nd pick.  I've seen Johnston play and he should (?) be a good playmaker.  I also like Rice in the 2nd.  Quentin is projected to run ~4.40 and Rice ~ 4.45.  Obviously these numbers will change at the combine.

Running is big for both. Quintin should be a back half of round 1 pick for me but if he underperforms the 40, slipping to day 2 is possible. Rice is more like an early day 2 pick, but run a great 40? Who knows.

On 12/30/2022 at 12:26 AM, No_Matter_What said:

Bates? I think there is exactly 0.0% chance that we move on from Bates given his play/contract and I don't remember anyone on this board suggesting otherwise.

Agree on other two. Saffold is imo gone unless he takes vet min. Morse might retire.

Morse might indeed retire, but if he doesn't they can not let him go. Last thing we need right now, the very last thing, is to go creating new holes on this OL.

I'm with you that I think Bates stays also.

On 12/29/2022 at 8:11 AM, Solomon Grundy said:

I like his teammate Dontay Demus Jr. too. Big body, contested catch guy. Injury concerns though, but so was Pickens. Demus was the guy in MD prior to his injury. 

Just circling back. Finally got to check Demus out a bit more. Quite the injury. Ouch. I'm sure it had an impact and you're right. A big body wr. To be honest, with what I read and watched, it didn't "excite " me much. But while researching him, I also looked at a couple of others as well.

As a "Big Body" later round pick, I kind of like Elijah Higgins from Stanford. Talk about a BIG Body. Might even go the TE route.🤔. Plus must have some intelligence to him being a Stanford guy. Also like AT Perry and J. Mingo if we go "Bigger" versus quick/speedy.

Any thoughts on Higgins?

It’s looking like We’ll be looking to draft at least 1 WR in the first 2 days of the draft.  We’ve gone back to John Brown and Cole Beasley.  Two moves that I’m happy about…. Which is why WR must be addressed early in the draft.  

I just wanted to get the discussion going and see who you guys like and in which rounds.

Just from watching a decent amount of college football this year and watching a couple hours of highlights, this WR group has some intriguing talent and some electricity in small packages.

Quintin Johnston-  TCU-   Early on in the process (only watched live games and highlights), I think I’d give up this years 1st and next years 2nd for him.  6’4, 215 tackle breaking rac monster.  He looks special to me and I think he’ll be a top 10 pick and the 1st wr taken. He’d be perfect compliment to Diggs and a sure fire hall of famer with Josh throwing to him….. as long as he clean up his concentration lapse drops.  As of 12/29, he’s the guy I want.  A guy can dream.  😔 

Kayshon Boutte-  LSU-  disappointing junior year and I’m hearing serious character issues.  Dunno if he’s a McD type.  He’s electric with the ball in his hand.  His tape from freshman to junior year looks so much different though.  I want the freshman version.  6’0 185ish. 

Rashee Rice-  SMU-  not sure what to think about him.  His tape doesn’t wow me but he’s tough. Solid route runner and catches the ball.  Tough in the open field and making contested catches. 6’2 200.  Rd 2?

Cedric Tillman-   6’3 215 34.5 inch arm-  if he runs in the 4.4’s, could he be a 1st rd pick or is he 2nd rd bound like Pickens was?   Similar in speed and stature to gabe but excels in contested catches and is tough after the catch, unlike Gabe. 

Then there’s the undersized speed demons-  such an interesting group.  I was hoping to add a wr with speed and also some size- preferably with a larger catch radius and plus contested catch.  Basically, I don’t want another Mckenzie body clone.  Not that all of these WRs are Dirty body clones, but are sub 180ish lbs.  

Jalin Wyatt

Josh Downs

Zay Flowers

All 3 big time speed threats- but are they big enough to hold up as a go to playmaker and be worthy a late 1st round pick?  Wyatt and Downs could be day 1 selections.  Flowers likely 2. 

anyone have knowledge of Tyler Harrell?  Marquez Stevenson-like but probably faster and more built.   Where do you guys think he’ll be drafted?

Those are the guys I know most about at the moment- eager to hear what you guys think about them and the others. 

would love more info on:

Jaxon Smith-Njigba 

Jordan Addison

parker Washington

AT Perry

Trey Palmer

Jonathan Mingo

Johnny Wilson

Dontayvion Wicks

Ainias Smith

Puka Nacua

Go Bills

Good post...

I've already dug in pretty deep on this WR class...A few takes...

Forget about Johnston, Addison, and Hyatt unless the Bills trade up a bit...And not just a couple picks...They have very different skill sets, but each brings something to the table that is really good. Hyatt is rumored to run in the high 4.2's, and yes he's a bit thin, but he's a serious gamer that NFL teams will have to respect or face the consequences. Johnston is prototype-type (if that makes sense). I think his floor is Tee Higgins. Addison can really do it all...In this day and age of the NFL, those three will be coveted.

After that is Smith-Njigba...He's a REAL polished route runner coming out, but I would be surprised if he runs much better that 4.5. Honestly, sometimes he looks to me like he's running in sand...But he gets open...A lot...And maybe he surprises with his 40 time. He's very good, but he's basically a slot-only option. More of a high-floor guy IMHO. Rashee Rice is really interesting. But I think it will be a stretch to expect him to step into a big role as a Rookie. He's got the tools, he's confident, he looks like a 4.4 guy to me...It's just...how long will it take him to adjust to the NFL game? 

I kind of lump Downs, Flowers, and Washington together. I see them all as slot-only options. Flowers is more of move type and the best of these 3 IMHO...He's a serious gamer. He's also on the smaller side obviously (5-9 1/4 -182)... Downs is not big either (5-10-174), and Washington is the thickest but still on the shorter side (5- 10-around 210)...All 3 are Day 2 options...Would not be surprised to see at least one of the 3 get to the Bills 2nd round pick.

I really want to see what Cedrick Tillman runs...I think the Pickens comparison is fair, they do have similar traits. I felt Pickens was 1st round prospect, and he is absolutely the guy I would have Drafted for the Bills in the 1st last year. So projecting Tillman there early is not far fetched. If he runs real fast it could happen. Tillman is more of the type-WR I think the Bills need. More prototype size (around 6-3-215), win over the top, contested ball-type. He only played 6 games in 2022...That alone could push him down a little bit. I think the likely scenario for Tillman is early-mid 2nd Round. 

Of the rest that I have seen so far, keep an eye out for Puka Nacua...He's got good size (6-1-205...but honestly he looks bigger on the field to me for some reason), he looks like a 4.4-something guy on the field, and he was used all kinds of ways at BYU...He's a Day 2 guy that will have a role in the NFL as a Rookie. And his ceiling is really nice. If the Bills want to wait till the late-2nd for a WR, I think Nacua would be a great option there. B-)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I want a guy that is 6'4"+ or has Hill/Waddle speed. It's seems like it has been forever since we have drafted guys like that. That said, the SMU WR Rice seems like he is a good mix of decent size (6/'2"), good enough speed, good hands and just a player that knows how to play the position. He might be the guy. But we are missing the playmakers with the elite traits. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I want a guy that is 6'4"+ or has Hill/Waddle speed. It's seems like it has been forever since we have drafted guys like that. That said, the SMU WR Rice seems like he is a good mix of decent size (6/'2"), good enough speed, good hands and just a player that knows how to play the position. He might be the guy. But we are missing the playmakers with the elite traits. 

Can they draft a guy that actually catches the ball first and foremost!! Get me a guy that can get open and catch the ball when thrown to and I'll be happy. Size and speed be damned!! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

If there’s a guy within range that has WR1 potential, just go get him.  

I say this no matter what we do in FA. 

Find a way to get Meyers, OBJ etc.. ok, great, still get that guy at our pick or with a small trade up.  

Jordan Addison just seems absolutely perfect on this team.   If he’s still there at, say, 20… I’m making the call. 

Jalin Wyatt

Josh Downs

Zay Flowers

would love more info on:

Jaxon Smith-Njigba 

Jordan Addison

parker Washington

AT Perry

Trey Palmer

Jonathan Mingo

Johnny Wilson

Dontayvion Wicks

Ainias Smith

Puka Nacua

Go Bills

Thanks for this post NewEra.  I'm just scratching the surface on this draft class at WR and appreciate your summary.

I agree that WR is a need, but I'd only go with a day 1 or 2 pick if the right player slipped.  I think that OG, OT, OC, and Linebacker are higher needs than WR (but I do have faith that Davis will rebound, and Shakir is going to develop into a serious threat).  I even have safety higher than WR with our starters on the wrong side of 30.

My draft needs (in order) are:

Left OG

Linebacker 

Right Tackle

Cornerback (I'm not sold on White as a rebound candidate, and this is a pass-happy league)

Right OG

Center

Safety X2 

D-line

Pass Rush

Wide Receiver

I'd pick ANY of the positions above in rounds 1-3, but emphasis on the top 7 in the list.

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Cooper Kupp agrees with your assessment. 

Kupp doesn't run a 4.3 but he gets from zero to full speed incredibly quick and maintains it.........that's his extraordinary ability.........which has the same kind of impact as great speed.

The Bills need a guy who Josh Allen can trust but can also do more than just catch the ball in order to bring the quick game balance back to their passing attack.......that slot guy should still be giving you about 12 yards per catch.

The tangible decline for the Bills quick game started when Beasley went from 11.8 to 8.5 from 2020-2021.  

That's a huge drop.   Instead of a first down on one play.........you need a 2021 Saquon Barkley or Leonard Fournette carry on the next play just to get to that 12 yards. (gratuitous runnin' bax joke) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

40 minutes ago, Yantha said:

Thanks for this post NewEra.  I'm just scratching the surface on this draft class at WR and appreciate your summary.

I agree that WR is a need, but I'd only go with a day 1 or 2 pick if the right player slipped.  I think that OG, OT, OC, and Linebacker are higher needs than WR (but I do have faith that Davis will rebound, and Shakir is going to develop into a serious threat).  I even have safety higher than WR with our starters on the wrong side of 30.

My draft needs (in order) are:

Left OG

Linebacker 

Right Tackle

Cornerback (I'm not sold on White as a rebound candidate, and this is a pass-happy league)

Right OG

Center

Safety X2 

D-line

Pass Rush

Wide Receiver

I'd pick ANY of the positions above in rounds 1-3, but emphasis on the top 7 in the list.

You’re welcome.  I’ve been busy with life the last month or so, so I haven’t haven’t dug much deeper on the WRs yet.  

You listed every single defensive position as a bigger priority than WR….. interesting.  I thought our D, even though it was banged up all season, was on par with our O.  If our O happened to be banged up like our D was….. our team would’ve been a dumpster fire.  Imagine Diggs getting injured…. Our season would immediately be over.  We scored 10 points in the deciding game…. And everyone was healthy. 

LB I can understand if we lose tremaine….. but I think he returns.  You think that Tremaine is a goner I assume?  

i agree that pass rush, corner and S are still pretty big needs, but I’d put Wr above all of them atm.  

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

You know who we could have taken the chance on last year? Christian Watson. 

Watson or Pickens would’ve been amazing. 😞 

instead we draft a corner that couldn’t beat out Dane or a fellow rookie drafted 5 rounds after him. 

I did like what I saw from Elam this year though.  Now we just need our vaunted defensive back gurus to develop him into a star. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Priorities in this exact order should be:

1.  LG

2.  RT

3.  WR2

4.  DE

5.   LB

6.   SS

....If a dynamic wr falls to us then that should be 27.  The next 2 picks OL.  4th round maybe an under the radar pass rusher to replace Basham/AJE down the road. If we lose Tremaine then either sign Vander Esch or go LB in the 5th.  

On 2/11/2023 at 4:45 PM, KOKBILLS said:

Good post...

I've already dug in pretty deep on this WR class...A few takes...

Forget about Johnston, Addison, and Hyatt unless the Bills trade up a bit...And not just a couple picks...They have very different skill sets, but each brings something to the table that is really good. Hyatt is rumored to run in the high 4.2's, and yes he's a bit thin, but he's a serious gamer that NFL teams will have to respect or face the consequences. Johnston is prototype-type (if that makes sense). I think his floor is Tee Higgins. Addison can really do it all...In this day and age of the NFL, those three will be coveted.

After that is Smith-Njigba...He's a REAL polished route runner coming out, but I would be surprised if he runs much better that 4.5. Honestly, sometimes he looks to me like he's running in sand...But he gets open...A lot...And maybe he surprises with his 40 time. He's very good, but he's basically a slot-only option. More of a high-floor guy IMHO. Rashee Rice is really interesting. But I think it will be a stretch to expect him to step into a big role as a Rookie. He's got the tools, he's confident, he looks like a 4.4 guy to me...It's just...how long will it take him to adjust to the NFL game? 

I kind of lump Downs, Flowers, and Washington together. I see them all as slot-only options. Flowers is more of move type and the best of these 3 IMHO...He's a serious gamer. He's also on the smaller side obviously (5-9 1/4 -182)... Downs is not big either (5-10-174), and Washington is the thickest but still on the shorter side (5- 10-around 210)...All 3 are Day 2 options...Would not be surprised to see at least one of the 3 get to the Bills 2nd round pick.

I really want to see what Cedrick Tillman runs...I think the Pickens comparison is fair, they do have similar traits. I felt Pickens was 1st round prospect, and he is absolutely the guy I would have Drafted for the Bills in the 1st last year. So projecting Tillman there early is not far fetched. If he runs real fast it could happen. Tillman is more of the type-WR I think the Bills need. More prototype size (around 6-3-215), win over the top, contested ball-type. He only played 6 games in 2022...That alone could push him down a little bit. I think the likely scenario for Tillman is early-mid 2nd Round. 

Of the rest that I have seen so far, keep an eye out for Puka Nacua...He's got good size (6-1-205...but honestly he looks bigger on the field to me for some reason), he looks like a 4.4-something guy on the field, and he was used all kinds of ways at BYU...He's a Day 2 guy that will have a role in the NFL as a Rookie. And his ceiling is really nice. If the Bills want to wait till the late-2nd for a WR, I think Nacua would be a great option there. B-)

Agree with much of this - it's a good take. My slight points of disagreement:

1. Hyatt for me could well get to those last 6 or 7 picks of round 1. He is going to be a very scheme specific fit. Not sure he will be for everyone. He could fly and the combine - agreed, and it only take one team to love him - agreed again, and it certainly possible he goes way before the Bills pick. But I think it is possible he is still there. 

2. Quintin Johnson I get lower on every time I put his tape on. The route running is the first thing... that is only average (and I am a sucker for a route runner, I confess... that is my "type"). But the thing that has soured me on him a little is definitely the lack of hands catches. There is a lot of body catching on his take and hence I don't think he uses that prototypical size that you rightly identify he has as effectively as he could. I think that will turn off some teams. Again I think it is feasible he goes later than people expect, but I suppose I still do think he is gone by #27. 

3. I don't think Cedric Tillman has the power of a George Pickens and I'm also not sure he is really 6'3. He looks shorter than that to me. I will be interested to see the measurement. But I see the comparison in that he is a pure downfield, outside receiver. You are not going to ask him to do a lot of short area quickness type stuff you are going to tell him to run down the field, beat his DB and then get his body in position to make a catch. I had a high 2nd on Pickens, I have provisionally a low 2nd on Tillman. 

But as I say, overall, I think much of this post is spot on and reflects what I see when I watch these guys too. It is definitely a weaker WR class than last year. The best grade I have currently (Addison) would make him my WR5 in last year's group. There is no superstar prospect in this class. Doesn't mean there can't be a superstar player to emerge from it though. 

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

instead we draft a corner that couldn’t beat out Dane or a fellow rookie drafted 5 rounds after him. 

I did like what I saw from Elam this year though.  Now we just need our vaunted defensive back gurus to develop him into a star. 

Yea same. I'm not down on Elam really at all, in fact I'm probably more encouraged than I was on draft day. But in a world where Andrew Booth's medicals were what they were Christian Watson would have been my guy last year. And I knew it was probably going to be 2nd half of the season before he came on. His rookie year went pretty much as I'd have predicted it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

We've got that kind of player in Diggs; I'd like a mismatch player to complement Diggs. Especially someone to stretch the field so the safeties can't play low or bracket Diggs all the time.

Only to drop the pass?? If that's what you want, Robert Foster is available 😎

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You know who we could have taken the chance on last year? Christian Watson. 

Scouting matters!!

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

1. Hyatt for me could well get to those last 6 or 7 picks of round 1. He is going to be a very scheme specific fit. Not sure he will be for everyone. He could fly and the combine - agreed, and it only take one team to love him - agreed again, and it certainly possible he goes way before the Bills pick. But I think it is possible he is still there. 

2. Quintin Johnson I get lower on every time I put his tape on. The route running is the first thing... that is only average (and I am a sucker for a route runner, I confess... that is my "type"). But the thing that has soured me on him a little is definitely the lack of hands catches. There is a lot of body catching on his take and hence I don't think he uses that prototypical size that you rightly identify he has as effectively as he could. I think that will turn off some teams. Again I think it is feasible he goes later than people expect, but I suppose I still do think he is gone by #27. 

3. I don't think Cedric Tillman has the power of a George Pickens and I'm also not sure he is really 6'3. He looks shorter than that to me. I will be interested to see the measurement. But I see the comparison in that he is a pure downfield, outside receiver. You are not going to ask him to do a lot of short area quickness type stuff you are going to tell him to run down the field, beat his DB and then get his body in position to make a catch. I had a high 2nd on Pickens, I have provisionally a low 2nd on Tillman. 

But as I say, overall, I think much of this post is spot on and reflects what I see when I watch these guys too. It is definitely a weaker WR class than last year. The best grade I have currently (Addison) would make him my WR5 in last year's group. There is no superstar prospect in this class. Doesn't mean there can't be a superstar player to emerge from it though. 

Yea same. I'm not down on Elam really at all, in fact I'm probably more encouraged than I was on draft day. But in a world where Andrew Booth's medicals were what they were Christian Watson would have been my guy last year. And I knew it was probably going to be 2nd half of the season before he came on. His rookie year went pretty much as I'd have predicted it. 

1. I am feeling a Christian Watson comp with Hyatt......he's shorter but similar build,  seems to have the same kind of explosiveness,  neither catch the ball with their hands much but when you are wide open you don't have to etc..   Hyatt is about a year and a half younger than Watson was as well.

2. I've seen people try to compare Quintin Johnson to Tee Higgins.........and they are not comparable IMO in that as you mentioned Johnson is a body catcher and Higgins catches the ball with his hands.   Higgins' catch radius is much larger.

As for last season..........as it turned out the Bills probably could have waited on CB because the league made the transition to CB pretty easy.    Bills fans thought Beane had nailed it with Elam and Benford playing a lot early.........but it turned out handsy college CB's arrived at just the right time so there was a lot of value to be found all over the draft at CB.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

You listed every single defensive position as a bigger priority than WR….. interesting.  I thought our D, even though it was banged up all season, was on par with our O.  If our O happened to be banged up like our D was….. our team would’ve been a dumpster fire.  Imagine Diggs getting injured…. Our season would immediately be over.  We scored 10 points in the deciding game…. And everyone was healthy. 

Yeah, I kind of have my draft needs in two tiers of players that could use an upgrade and/or competition

LG Saffold 

LB Klein 

RT Brown 

CB White 

RG Bates 

OC Morse 

These would be the 1st priority for me for early round draft picks (right now...  things change dramatically after FA)

Then yes, I have D-line ahead of WR in the list but really I'm just concerned with developing the next era of safeties.  DT would be a luxury pick I think if the right player slipped.  And again I have WR at the bottom, but because I still like our top 3 (again, I see Davis rebounding and Shakir is going to be special IMO).

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

LB I can understand if we lose tremaine….. but I think he returns.  You think that Tremaine is a goner I assume?  

No, I think Tremaine will be made an offer, but I want to replace Klein / improve depth / give more versatility in alignments.

i agree that pass rush, corner and S are still pretty big needs, but I’d put Wr above all of them atm.  

image.png

I want WR in Round 1.

What this team also needs to realize is they have the biggest piece to a great offense already, a franchise QB.

So what they need to do now is decide what kind of offense they want to be and draft and sign those those type of weapons specially.

Don’t let the Buffalo media bully you into this run first, Kurt Warner approved, checkdown offense. 

If you want deep shots, aggressive then you’ll need a Jalin Hyatt. 

If you want a route running offense, then it might be a volume WR like

Jarvis Landry in FA, or Jaxson Smith-Ngijba. 

But our Buffalo media was all over Allen and Dorsey for how the Miami Playoff game looked, the lack of efficient underneath routes.

I think you can have that offense, but the Bills have to draft that way, instead of peanut buttering everything and trying to do everything well. 

The bottom 3 WRs on this team need to go, two of them are FAs already. Pick a direction Buffalo and start investing in that path.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I’d take a speedy downfield route runner with hands.  Playing opposite Diggs should open that guy up a bit.  Anyone you see that fits this mold?  Seems like some guys in later rounds may be available (guy from Iowa State whose name escapes me and PSU guy). 

10 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I want WR in Round 1.

What this team also needs to realize is they have the biggest piece to a great offense already, a franchise QB.

So what they need to do now is decide what kind of offense they want to be and draft and sign those those type of weapons specially.

Don’t let the Buffalo media bully you into this run first, Kurt Warner approved, checkdown offense. 

If you want deep shots, aggressive then you’ll need a Jalin Hyatt. 

If you want a route running offense, then it might be a volume WR like

Jarvis Landry in FA, or Jaxson Smith-Ngijba. 

But our Buffalo media was all over Allen and Dorsey for how the Miami Playoff game looked, the lack of efficient underneath routes.

I think you can have that offense, but the Bills have to draft that way, instead of peanut buttering everything and trying to do everything well. 

The bottom 3 WRs on this team need to go, two of them are FAs already. Pick a direction Buffalo and start investing in that path.

agree.  I think we have our slot guy already or get Beasly back.  Need that downfield catching threat. 

I’d be ok with OT in rd1 also if a good WR is not there.  Also helps passing game.  

7 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I’d take a speedy downfield route runner with hands.  Playing opposite Diggs should open that guy up a bit.  Anyone you see that fits this mold?  Seems like some guys in later rounds may be available (guy from Iowa State whose name escapes me and PSU guy). 

Xavier Hutchinson. I like him. I think he is probably a 3rd rounder... but if the Bills haven't gone WR in round 1 and the round 2 guys have emptied out I would be fine with taking a shot at Hutchinson at the end of the second. Would be a bit of a reach but a swing on potential. 

42 minutes ago, Yantha said:

Yeah, I kind of have my draft needs in two tiers of players that could use an upgrade and/or competition

LG Saffold 

LB Klein 

RT Brown 

CB White 

RG Bates 

OC Morse 

These would be the 1st priority for me for early round draft picks (right now...  things change dramatically after FA)

Then yes, I have D-line ahead of WR in the list but really I'm just concerned with developing the next era of safeties.  DT would be a luxury pick I think if the right player slipped.  And again I have WR at the bottom, but because I still like our top 3 (again, I see Davis rebounding and Shakir is going to be special IMO).

image.png

I’d be shocked if we see anything different from the D.  It’ll be nickel 85%+ of the snaps.

If we keep Maine, we better hope Bernard can fit that versatility you seek (but won’t get).  We 💯cannot sink more resources into that position.  Maine and Milano both getting paid-  3rd rd pick on Bernard.  We play almost all nickel.  And that won’t change until McF is gone.  

WR is a much great need imo.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.