Russell Wilson and His Divisive Entourage

The Frankish Reich

Why is it that when a player is unable to perform (to put it politely) like RW & KM etc, the GM & HC don’t just bench their azs and play the back up?  the team owner can’t be so naive as to think doing otherwise is going help the situation, in both of their cases, and in the short and long term it only helps the team and organization, it is likely that players really dislike playing for QBs like those guys, 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I somehow didn't know this, but the collapse of the Broncos has people talking. Russell Wilson has a whole entourage surrounding him, including:

- personal QB coach, often onsite (whose advice may conflict with the official coaching staff)

- social media assistants, also getting in the way

- personal office in the team training complex, so he can, umm, attend to his other commitments

- nutritionist/personal chef

Not to mention his wife, and the more typical demands like extra hotel suites when on the road.

This is all fine and dandy when you're winning (right, Tom Brady?).

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/26/russell-wilson-entourage-seattle-seahawks

https://denverfan.com/2099516/why-its-no-big-deal-that-russell-wilson-has-an-entourage-with-him/

But when things go south, the resentment over preferential treatment bubbles up to the surface. And it's boiling over right now, with lots of local Colorado media talking openly about it, and about how the new coaching staff needs to rein this stuff in (assuming that it's not written into that now-horrific Wilson contract).

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/russell-wilson-jake-heaps-involvement-broncos#:~:text=Denver Broncos QB Russell Wilson's,Broncos News%2C Analysis and More

Question: which other NFL QBs have similar "teams" surrounding them? I know Mahomes has his official groupies, but what about Josh? Rodgers?

Josh doesn't need an entourage because most any Bills Mafia or any Bills player would gladly give Josh any assistance needed when a need arises.  Plus our boy is capable of doing things by his own efforts so doesn't usually need much.  I also don't think Josh ever thinks he is more than just good at the game he loves to play and it just so happens it pays when your that good at it.  It doesn't make him better than any other person and certainly not any of his teammates who work just as hard as he does.

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

image0 (1).jpg

Lol,   I certainly hope that this was just someone's creative photos hopped commentary on Russell Wilson.  

However, with some of the other really cringe Russell media clips that his team has put out makes it so believable that this was put out by Russell Wilson's media team.  I cannot fathom how they could think this was a good look so I truly hope it is a third party photoshopped picture.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dreadlox said:

Does this make the TJ Graham pick look any better at all? Buddy knew Russ was a diva all along and now it’s all coming out in the wash. 

Yes. Everyday Pete Carroll bangs his head against the wall because the Bills got TJ Graham and he was stuck with Wilson a couple rounds later. 😃

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Chef should he FT and teams shpuld encourage/push that as much as possible. Nutrition is atleast half of player performsnce. Finding a way to hit all their macros, rotate foods for vitamins, make it taste good (skipping meals or going off script is bad). 

The offensive linemen have Chefs…

burger-king-going-after-mcdonalds-new-do
555b4cdeecad049130891f6a

• Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Chef should he FT and teams shpuld encourage/push that as much as possible. Nutrition is atleast half of player performsnce. Finding a way to hit all their macros, rotate foods for vitamins, make it taste good (skipping meals or going off script is bad). 

“Nutrition is at least half of player performance”

I’m curious if there is any data to support this quote, or whether it’s made up out of thin air. 

I went to Chefs when I was in Buffalo a couple months back. Waiter told me that Bruce Smith used to come in every Friday for a 3 pound plate of spaghetti “parmed”. 

These guys are incredible athletes with monster caloric demands. I’m thinking that the most important thing is to get sufficient protein and calories. Don’t really need a personal chef for that; it’s a luxury, but not necessary. Weight, speed, and endurance training are necessary. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

What's with the fascination around here with Russell Wilson?

Or Tua for that matter?

Personally, I find myself spending ZERO time thinking about either unless they are playing football at that moment on my TV.

Honestly, I think it's just good old fashioned gloating. After 20+ years in QB hell, Bills fans finally have a true franchise QBs, so we now like to make fun of all the other teams and fanbases that are deluding themselves that maybe their own draft pick will become that guy, or that maybe they can resurrect the career of some previously great QB. Be honest: did you ever say "Drew Bledsoe will get this team back into SB contender status," or "I think JP Losman can develop into a Top 10 QB," or "I think Ryan Fitzpatrick could finally be the guy to get us past the Patriots." (Confession: I didn't say the first two, but I did say the 3rd one)

For me, the Wilson story is fascinating. There just aren't many examples of 33/34 year old HOF or likely future HOF QBs falling off a cliff like him. The only recent one that comes to mind is Cam Newton: essentially done as a good starter by age 30. (Cautionary tale for us?). We talk about guys like Bledsoe being done early, but he was never on Wilson's level. Who else? The Broncos can't really be blamed for thinking that the worst case scenario was probably a continuing slow decline, in which they'd get the best QB they've had (by far!) since Peyton for the first couple years, and then have an overpaid but still playable starting QB for at least a couple more. This is almost unprecedented. 

• Like (+1) 2

Next year will be fascinating. 

id be so curious to see what happens with a good coaching staff… but who with options is going to marry themselves to the possibility he’s fried and they can’t escape? 

The broncos owners will have to give an elite coach essentially a blank check, long commitment and personnel control 

hiring another terrible coach and not knowing what you have in Russ is worst case. 

6 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Josh has absolutely no diet or meal plan. He says he eats whatever he wants including drinking beer. Sounds like fun if you are the typical 40 something overweight poster on TBD but not for an elite athlete 

Though I caught a photo of Josh doing the press conference post Bears and thought he was looking leaner than before. Might just be me.

(Before anyone says it, yes I am comparing out-of-uniform to out-of-uniform!)

Edited by UKBillFan

Question: Name the QBs with 10+ year career, on a Hall of Fame level trajectory, who were essentially done as effective starters by their Age 34 seasons.

Answer: Cam Newton (29), Troy Aikman (34).

That's all I got right now. I'm not counting early retirees like Andrew Luck, who actually played very well in his final season.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.