Buffalo airport closed until Monday AM...Christmas in Chicago for the Bills?

Process

21 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Nope...the Eastern suburbs Depew/Lancaster east of the airport get hit harder than the airport. They are in a snow belt where the winds will take the bands over Lackawanna, miss downtown and the airport, be a bullseye for Depew/Lancaster and head out to Batavia.  Whatever the total at the airport is for a given season, you can tack on about 20-30" usually. 

West Seneca has it worse usually than us tho.

I mean the Depew Lancaster border is not far from the airport… I can go from Cheektowaga to Depew Lancaster in a five minute walk from my house

My fathers in Lancaster and I’m at the airport and we usually get around the same amount.., 10 extra inches over five months of winter isn’t that much to me

Edited by Buffalo716

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I mean the Depew Lancaster border is not far from the airport… I can go from Cheektowaga to Depew Lancaster in a five minute walk from my house

My fathers in Lancaster and I’m at the airport and we usually get around the same amount.., Occasionally he gets more occasionally I get more

Yes that's true. To put it in perspective in 2014, we had 7 feet of snow and the airport had barely a foot. That's how sharp the cutoff is at times. It's a classic lake snow setup as well that has happened repeatedly in the 15+ years I've lived there. I'm about 8 minutes from the airport.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well Western New York is a very large area

Orchard Park is an outer ring suburb … The airport is in Cheektowaga in the inner ring 

As far as Buffalo and inner ring suburbs… I’d say the airport probably gets hit the hardest or parts of west Seneca

Well, it's been a few decades since I lived in WNY, but didn't use to be true that the airport got hit about the hardest.

Used to always be Southtowns, closer to the lake. 

Sounds like this stormy was an equal opportunity mess though.

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yes that's true. To put it in perspective in 2014, we had 7 feet of snow and the airport had barely a foot. That's how sharp the cutoff is.

Sometimes the bands work like that… It is a fine line

My dad is right on the Lancaster Depew boarder And I actually got more than him this time

Statistically it looks like most of the inner ring averages around 85 inches per year… including Depew and Lancaster and Cheektowaga 

Edited by Buffalo716

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well There are dead civilians in cars and on the street in Western New York

And they weren’t helped

I think we all understand that.  And it's a tragedy.  But the point is - when did they need assistance and die without it?

Logically, if people became stuck in the snow or went out on the streets seeking shelter because of lack of heat, and weren't helped on Friday or Saturday .......the Bills flying into an open airport in Rochester after noon on Sunday and being allowed to bus through plowed streets to the stadium and drive home on Sunday afternoon, did not divert help from those people.

It's not like people were dying in their cars on the streets of Buffalo while snowplows were leading a flotilla of Bills busses down the closed Thruway.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Some people on Twitter are trying to stir up **** because Bills players were allowed to get home from Chicago. 

I see no problem allowing an organized group of 100 or so people use the thruway as long as it’s not causing a problem.

There is a big difference between that and allowing everyone to operate freely. I’m sure Bills players and coaches had strict instructions on the routes they could take.

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well, it's been a few decades since I lived in WNY, but didn't use to be true that the airport got hit about the hardest.

Used to always be Southtowns, closer to the lake. 

Sounds like this stormy was an equal opportunity mess though.

The south towns arent a part of the inner ring suburbs

Yeah the south towns always get hit the most… Buffalo and it’s inner ring suburbs… Sloan , Cheektowaga, west Seneca , Depew , Tonawanda all average around 85 inches a year

I was talking snow in the inner rings

Edited by Buffalo716

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think we all understand that.  And it's a tragedy.  But the point is - when did they need assistance and die without it?

Logically, if people became stuck in the snow or went out on the streets seeking shelter because of lack of heat, and weren't helped on Friday or Saturday .......the Bills flying into an open airport in Rochester after noon on Sunday and being allowed to bus through plowed streets to the stadium and drive home on Sunday afternoon, did not divert help from those people.

It's not like people were dying in their cars on the streets of Buffalo while snowplows were leading a flotilla of Bills busses down the closed Thruway.

I’m just spit balling why people might be acting like that

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I see no problem allowing an organized group of 100 or so people use the thruway as long as it’s not causing a problem.

There is a big difference between that and allowing everyone to operate freely. I’m sure Bills players and coaches had strict instructions on the routes they could take.

Still sends a message of different rules for the privileged.  The Bills aren't essential personnel.  It also undermines all the local politicians who are yelling and ticketing people for not following the travel ban.  I love the social media feed of them leaving Rochester at the airport to a yelling Bills mafia though.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Still sends a message of different rules for the privileged.  The Bills aren't essential personnel.  It also undermines all the local politicians who are yelling and ticketing people for not following the travel ban.  I love the social media feed of them leaving Rochester at the airport to a yelling Bills mafia though.

Exactly. I'm not mad at the Bills. I'm not mad at the civilians who broke rules

I'm disappointed in the government (police and politicians) who let this happen. You can't treat one class different from the other. 

***** curfews, restrictions, etc. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yes, but people need to use common sense. You can’t have thousands of people out on the roads. Allowing the Bills to use closed thruways is a completely different situation.

I’m sure everyone understands the situation but they must prove the government wrong. Politicians do themselves no favors either but scolding and threatening people on Twitter.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I mean, there are different rules for the privileged?  Alert the media.

48 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Some people on Twitter are trying to stir up **** because Bills players were allowed to get home from Chicago. 

Yeah I'm really tired of these self-righteous pot stirrers on social media.  These players are an asset to the community.  They step up for the community voluntarily or whenever asked to do so mostly without fanfare. I wonder how many of these social media warriors went out to Tops after that horrible massacre and talked to citizens and helped make their day or week just a little better, or go to the Children's hospital repeatedly to visit sick kids?

The Twitterverse people who imply that people are dying in their cars because buses are out picking up the team are complete fools.  The worst of the worst.  The players absolutely should be allowed to find a way home to their families and I'm glad they did.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yes, but people need to use common sense. You can’t have thousands of people out on the roads. Allowing the Bills to use closed thruways is a completely different situation.

I’m sure everyone understands the situation but they must prove the government wrong. Politicians do themselves no favors either but scolding and threatening people on Twitter.

Terrible optics for all the people respecting the travel band who won't get to see their close relatives on Christmas.  Especially for one's without power.  I'm sorry.  I'm not going to twist myself into a pretzel defending the Bills for a bad decision.

40 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

27 dead is a major disaster. You would have no idea it happened outside Buffalo. In Rochester? Barely mentioned. Nationally? Even less. 

I've had work associates from Florida and Puerto Rico ask me about the storm and how people are doing in Buffalo.  It's been major news

I don't know how well this will go over, but in a certain sense the local professional athletes are "essential workers." They're a huge boon to the culture and economy of the area. I'm not oblivious to the fact that professional athletes are afforded privileges the rest of us aren't. They got to go home and be with their families. Anyone upset about that is the worst kind of person.

30 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Terrible optics for all the people respecting the travel band who won't get to see their close relatives on Christmas.  Especially for one's without power.  I'm sorry.  I'm not going to twist myself into a pretzel defending the Bills for a bad decision.

So the Bills players should have to suffer because other members of the community suffered? I've been trapped in my house and separated from half of my family since Friday. Should I also shut off my power and heat in solidarity with those unlucky households in Buffalo that have been without it?

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Exactly. It's not like Bills players were making a snow storm booze run. They are getting home from a job they had to go to. Some Twit-wits are acting like authorities helping the players get home killed people stranded in cars.

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Exactly. It's not like Bills players were making a snow storm booze run. They are getting home from a job they had to go to. Some Twit-wits are acting like authorities helping the players get home killed people stranded in cars.

No doubt some of the dipshits railing on the Bills were out driving themselves. 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think there's a need for some perspective here:

The majority of the deaths, were people "found dead outside".  Why were they outside?  Were they homeless or without power and seeking shelter but didn't get there in time?  Car stuck and trying to find help?  We don't know, but clearly these were extreme conditions and since Buffalo doesn't experience them often, it would be easy for people to under-estimate how quickly they could become disoriented or hypothermic.

3 deaths (so far) were in a vehicle, 3 from an EMS delay.  So that's 6 deaths where blocked roads/limited travel were clearly a factor.   Those 6 deaths matter - Matthew 10:31. 

But "Michael Thomas" needs to chill with his "we couldn't leave to see our families on Christmas, it's So Unfair".  It's not like the Bills players all drove all over town to see their families on Christmas, they went home and stayed there. 

And there are stories all over social media (and some on mainstream media) of people whose cars were stuck while they were trying to get home to their kids, pleaded for help and Good Samaritans on snowmobiles or in trucks came and got them and took them home.  It's not like ordinary citizens aren't trying to get home by any means if they can, Ban or No Ban.

I think Buffalo and Erie County need to Do Better and Be Better about communicating/being more pro-active to get people home and off the streets before the storm hits, so less vehicles stuck and more plowing can take place; by publicizing warming centers better and making sure that warming centers have redundant systems for heating; information about clearing exhaust vents for furnaces and teaching if applicable how to start a gas furnace without power (some can be, some can't be); by organizing/deputizing snowmobile clubs ahead of the storm as assistants to get to people who are stranded and need help.

But Bills players staying in a hotel in Chicago on Christmas fixes NONE of that.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The majority of the deaths, were people "found dead outside".  Why were they outside?  Were they homeless or without power and seeking shelter but didn't get there in time?  Car stuck and trying to find help?  We don't know, but clearly these were extreme conditions and since Buffalo doesn't experience them often, it would be easy for people to under-estimate how quickly they could become disoriented or hypothermic.

3 deaths (so far) were in a vehicle, 3 from an EMS delay.  So that's 6 deaths where blocked roads/limited travel were clearly a factor.   Those 6 deaths matter - Matthew 10:31. 

But "Michael Thomas" needs to chill with his "we couldn't leave to see our families on Christmas, it's So Unfair".  It's not like the Bills players all drove all over town to see their families on Christmas, they went home and stayed there. 

And there are stories all over social media (and some on mainstream media) of people whose cars were stuck while they were trying to get home to their kids, pleaded for help and Good Samaritans on snowmobiles or in trucks came and got them and took them home.  It's not like ordinary citizens aren't trying to get home by any means if they can, Ban or No Ban.

Knowing a major storm was coming and a driving ban was likely, "Michael Thomas" could have left to see his relatives on Thursday like the Bills did leaving for Chicago. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Snowmobile is the choice of vehicle right now

The people outside could’ve been outside for a number of reasons… Homeless… Caught in the storm, Left their vehicle and tried walking… I saw somebody trying to walk to Tops in the middle of the blizzard … Walked a mile and a half

And tops was closed… She’s lucky she didn’t die

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What exactly do any of these entities have to do with the Bills getting home?

They weren't driving through the City of Buffalo - and I'm guessing that players living in Downtown Buffalo or anywhere else that's seriously impassible, were told to get a hotel or stay with a friend on the team.  Ditto City of Rochester.  Monroe County travel advisory was lifted and Genessee/Orleans county Travel Ban lifted before the Bills busses drove through there

And totally beats me why he thinks the NFTA has anything to do with it - the buses the Bills road on were not NFTA buses, they were charters.

There's really not evidence that government resources were involved in the Bills getting home, though they clearly did break the travel ban once they crossed the Erie County line and again to get in their cars and drive home from the stadium.  Nor is there evidence waiting until today would have helped - travel ban is still in effect in many parts of Erie County.

This person identifies himself as an undergraduate "political science" major.  I think he may need edumacating.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

People are making it a bigger deal than it needs to be. 

2 hours ago, Since1981 said:

27 dead is a major disaster. You would have no idea it happened outside Buffalo. In Rochester? Barely mentioned. Nationally? Even less. 

What are you even talking about? I'm in Rochester and it's been the top story for days. And tonight it was the CBS national news top story and they spent 5-6 minutes on it alone. 

30 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

A month ago the community dug out Bills players to get them to the airport during a travel ban. It was celebrated all over.

Today people are trying to make it a big negative story even though the Bills had no impact on anything going on. This is our world in a nutshell.

People are making a big deal of it rightly so...

Last month the citizens decided to act on their own. Those that wanted to make the risks and choices to assist were able to.

This time, as government does, you were taken of your right to choose. You were told you must stay home, must not leave, no emergency services offered. But the governments not only turned a blind eye to this they enabled it with security and safe travel.

The problem is not the Bills or the people. It's the government.

Regardless, your argument doesn't do much here because you are viewing the situation through a poor lens. 

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, boyst said:

People are making a big deal of it rightly so...

Last month the citizens decided to act on their own. Those that wanted to make the risks and choices to assist were able to.

This time, as government does, you were taken of your right to choose. You were told you must stay home, must not leave, no emergency services offered. But the governments not only turned a blind eye to this they enabled it with security and safe travel.

The problem is not the Bills or the people. It's the government.

Regardless, your argument doesn't do much here because you are viewing the situation through a poor lens. 

People are creating outrage, as normal. 

A month ago:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.