Treatment of opposing team fans(your experience)

PatsFanNH

I just saw the viral video of the Pats fan being harassed all game by the female Raider fan. And well that got me thinking on how opposing team fans are treated.  I don’t go to many home games anymore.. (I can’t afford them.) but I been to a few away games the last 5 years:

Miami — fans are fine usually talk a lot trash but all in good fun and have a hell of a tailgate!

NY Jets — my worst experience the 1 time I went was yelled at the hole time and some jerk dumped his beer on me.. was literally afraid for my life at that game.

Colts — fans were a blast and we talked about the Brady v Payton days… some good natured ribbing when the Pats lost

Bills — you guys are crazy fun at the tailgate, also talk a lot of trash but you actually know football. ( or the people

i talked to) Good nature ribbing when the Pats lost w Newton.

I have to say on the hole

most we’re fun to go to. So how have your experiences been when you travel?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I just saw the viral video of the Pats fan being harassed all game by the female Raider fan. And well that got me thinking on how opposing team fans are treated.  I don’t go to many home games anymore.. (I can’t afford them.) but I been to a few away games the last 5 years:

Miami — fans are fine usually talk a lot trash but all in good fun and have a hell of a tailgate!

NY Jets — my worst experience the 1 time I went was yelled at the hole time and some jerk dumped his beer on me.. was literally afraid for my life at that game.

Colts — fans were a blast and we talked about the Brady v Payton days… some good natured ribbing when the Pats lost

Bills — you guys are crazy fun at the tailgate, also talk a lot of trash but you actually know football. ( or the people

i talked to) Good nature ribbing when the Pats lost w Newton.

I have to say on the hole

most we’re fun to go to. So how have your experiences been when you travel?

Chiefs fans are amazing … jets fans?????? Hahaha lmaooooooo

J-E-T-S 

suck suck suck

The only 2 bad experiences I’ve had in about 20 road games was:

Arizona- in the stadium. It was the game where Trent died. Just lots of idiots standing up trying to instigate.  

Green Bay-  the season tickets holders next to us, and obliterated couple in their 50s.  true trash.  Just very poor gloaters.  It was Joshs rookie year and we got shut out.  

While I can't speak on away football games, I can say I've been to Sabres games in Boston. Always had a good time and the fans were cool. Even the Bruins mascot came at me pretending to wanna fight in the corridor. Of course I was wearing my Sabres jersey. So I obliged him and we just kinda played around. It was all in all a cool experience. I was with my ex-wife (huge Bruins fan) and her Boston friends. But what it made it better was that the couple behind us were both Sabres fans from Buffalo. It was a good time. 

And I saw that video too. I give that Pats fan props for remaining so calm. That drunk fat slob was prolly still butt hurt from the tuck rule. 

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Like (+1) 3

I can only speak for my experiences in Indianapolis.  While I expected (and even gave) some back-and-forth ribbing, I didn't expect to have a few people throwing concession items (one being a half-eaten pretzel) at me after the game ended.  I certainly didn't expect to have a fan using the urinal next to me during halftime "accidentally" piss on my lower leg and shoe, either.  Both of these happened during and after the 10/20/97 MNF classic that the Bills won 9-6.

In fairness, though, I've been to see a few Bills/Colts games in Indy and this one was really the only time I had any issues.  Guess I just had some bad luck wearing the wrong colors around the wrong fans on that particular night.

I also went to the Browns/Bills "Home" game in Detroit.  While obviously not the same as a true road game, we had zero issues with Browns fans there.  Very fun back-and-forth was all.  In fact, probably the worst behavior we saw was a Bills fan in one of the stores by the stadium very upset that they (a Detroit store) didn't have the Bills gear HE wanted.  On his way out, he punched the glass door open and I'm a bit surprised it didn't break.

So, long story short, of all the times I've been to Bills games outside of Orchard Park, with the exception of one, everything was pretty much fine.

• Like (+1) 1

Visited the Ralph in 2006 I think. Pats * at Bills. Brady roasted the Bills 35-7. Light snowfall that days. 

there was a group of Pats* fans sitting behind us one wearing an 80s Capparelli jersey. They were complete mass holes. They outnumbered us 3-1 is my guess why the acted like that. Really wanted to take that god awful Cap jersey off and stuff it down his throat. 

• Agree 1

Was at a Raiders game in Oakland and a Raiders fan got right up in the face of a 12 year old Bills fan in Moulds jersey. 

A very surprising thing happened:

2 Raiders fans that were right by jumped the obnoxious other Raiders fan that was up in the kid's kitchen.  NICE. Security came and hauled away said harassing Raiders fan. Everyone went on about their business. 

So, moral of the story.  There's honor among thieves! 😏 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

It's been awhile since the last one, but I've been to a number of Jets/Bills games in New Jersey and never had a problem. Granted I was always with a Jets fan which tempered everything.  

One time at MetLife I had an old time Jet fan (stranger) to my left. Bills were lining up for a punt and old-timer was losing his mind. Bills punted and as old timer predicted the  punt returner was out of position, sprinted up to catch the punt but fumbled. Respect for old timer. Fast forward. Last ditch effort Bills pass falls incomplete. Jets fans going wild. I yell: wait flag! (there was none)!  Old timer buys in for a second and when I smile and shake it off he gives me a punch to the arm. We both have a laugh, good times. Why folks treat these games like life and death is beyond me.  

I was at a Bills/Pats game late 90's at Orchard Park. Had a jacket on over my jersey  After I finished up at the trough and turned around the next man up (big dude) pulled my jacket aside to see if it was a Pats jersey. Once he saw the #78 he gave me the nod. I always thought that was incredibly dickish. Didn't make me think he represented all Bills fans.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

It's been awhile since the last one, but I've been to a number of Jets/Bills games in New Jersey and never had a problem. Granted I was always with a Jets fan which tempered everything.  

One time at MetLife I had an old time Jet fan (stranger) to my left. Bills were lining up for a punt and old-timer was losing his mind. Bills punted and as old timer predicted the  punt returner was out of position, sprinted up to catch the punt but fumbled. Respect for old timer. Fast forward. Last ditch effort Bills pass falls incomplete. Jets fans going wild. I yell: wait flag! (there was none)!  Old timer buys in for a second and when I smile and shake it off he gives me a punch to the arm. We both have a laugh, good times. Why folks treat these games like life and death is beyond me.  

I was at a Bills/Pats game late 90's at Orchard Park. Had a jacket on over my jersey  After I finished up at the trough and turned around the next man up (big dude) pulled my jacket aside to see if it was a Pats jersey. Once he saw the #78 he gave me the nod. I always thought that was incredibly dickish. Didn't make me think he represented all Bills fans.

I guess he's a big man. Sorry for you, he can probably do anything he wants to others at the trough! 😉  😆 

I've found Broncos fans to be kind of prickly and contentious. Way more than other fanbases. I've been to two games against the Bills at Mile High and while nobody was in my face like that Raiders Karen, there was a lot of borderline not funny talk and just a general heavy air like these people do not want us sitting here right now. Got probably half a beer tossed on my back after a Denver touchdown although it was disguised as nearby celebration, and honestly could have been. They also get very drunk.

Not football, but a friend and I got pretty much chased out of The Pepsi Center (Ball Arena) after a Sabres/Avs games years ago. Sabres got destroyed like 7-1 but we stayed for the whole thing. We exited through some packed stair well, wearing Sabres gear, and there were probably 20 drunk dudes behind us screaming "F New York" and throwing plastic bottles. More and more started joining in so we kind of just booked it as soon as we got downstairs.

Edited by Nelius
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

At the time I laughed it off, but afterward I wondered what if I was wearing a Pats jersey? WTF.

Yeah... I am a humane and compassionate person.   But if a Pats* fan was disguised as a Bills fan, what kinda cowardice is that... Even from them! 😆  Their house is so much more unforgiving than ours. 

I went to a game in the early 2000s. Miami Dolphins at Buffalo Bills on December 9, 2007 with a single ticket from a seller who said I would be with his buddies but he could not go to the game due to work.  He was a liar.

When I got to the seat I double checked the ticket for it was between two pairs of Phish fans.  I found out they came together and offered to let them sit together and they said no need asking if I knew our players and I said yes and they said they would be glad to tell anything I knew about players on the field.  So in the game I would give them a breakdown of what was going on and strengths/weaknesses.  During the game they shared some mahi mahi jerky (I was told it was homemade and they caught fish themselves) and some liquor. 

Robert Royal was playing well with 2 TDs and I told his mother watched the game at my bar.  George Wilson returned a fumble for a TD and they made a comment he had good hands and I told them he was a converted WR.  Game was never in doubt.

They told me they were not expecting much but flew to Buffalo to go to Canada and decided to catch a game since they were there. They paid less for their tickets than I did mine.   

They stayed to the end and asked about traffic getting out; I told them it was terrible and I am just walking to my mother's apartment off McKinley.  They offered me a ride which I accepted.  When they got to their rental they found out the battery was dead and I told them I could flag some help for them once the lot emptied a bit.  They set up the grill and we played some low stakes poker.  When traffic died down I flagged down one of the Bills trucks and their car was jumped.   They gave me a ride back and one gave me a business card with his phone number on it in case I was going to another matchup.

I had a good game, free food and drink, a ride back and made enough playing poker to pay for my ticket.

Edited by Limeaid
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BLeonard said:

I can only speak for my experiences in Indianapolis.  While I expected (and even gave) some back-and-forth ribbing, I didn't expect to have a few people throwing concession items (one being a half-eaten pretzel) at me after the game ended.  I certainly didn't expect to have a fan using the urinal next to me during halftime "accidentally" piss on my lower leg and shoe, either.  Both of these happened during and after the 10/20/97 MNF classic that the Bills won 9-6.

In fairness, though, I've been to see a few Bills/Colts games in Indy and this one was really the only time I had any issues.  Guess I just had some bad luck wearing the wrong colors around the wrong fans on that particular night.

I also went to the Browns/Bills "Home" game in Detroit.  While obviously not the same as a true road game, we had zero issues with Browns fans there.  Very fun back-and-forth was all.  In fact, probably the worst behavior we saw was a Bills fan in one of the stores by the stadium very upset that they (a Detroit store) didn't have the Bills gear HE wanted.  On his way out, he punched the glass door open and I'm a bit surprised it didn't break.

So, long story short, of all the times I've been to Bills games outside of Orchard Park, with the exception of one, everything was pretty much fine.

If someone pees on my leg then I’m swinging. That’s disgustingly trashy

• Agree 1

My son and I went to the Miami game this year and the fans there were awesome to us.  Granted there were just as many Bills fans in the stadium but they were really fun and with the exception of a few dopes that were drunk and yelling Fbombs in front of little kids when the game ended on that final missed throw to McKenzie in the endzone, they were good hosts.

I caught a Miami football in the stands and gave it to a little Dolphins fan maybe 6 years old, which made his day (I was wearing a Diggs Tshirt on my head because it was 500 degrees).  A lot of Fins fans saw me do it, so for what it's worth they saw the good side of the Mafia.

The other thing about Miami is they really do start chanting and yelling when their team has the ball which is strange.   

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

Visited the Ralph in 2006 I think. Pats * at Bills. Brady roasted the Bills 35-7. Light snowfall that days. 

there was a group of Pats* fans sitting behind us one wearing an 80s Capparelli jersey. They were complete mass holes. They outnumbered us 3-1 is my guess why the acted like that. Really wanted to take that god awful Cap jersey off and stuff it down his throat. 

Same era, same scenario, probably a different game... This is what fueled my hatred of the Pats. They would come to our house and gloat over Bills fans. Running through the concourse shouting like they owned the place and yelling in Bills fans faces like we were their piss ant subjects to abuse. Totally took over the place from 4th quarter on. I also blame everyone who left and let that happen.

Edited by wakingfane

Growing up in Connecticut I went to many Jets and Giants games in New Jersey in the late 90's and early 2000's. It's like night and day.

Giants fans: Mostly a mix but older and respectful and know how to drink responsibly. Some playful banter and gentle ribbing but far from hostile. Knowledgeable. 

Jets fans: OMG!!! Worst experience possible. Bunch of inebriated and immature punks that provoke you all game hoping to initiate a fight. Don't bring a wife or girlfriend because you will definitely be defending her honor. And they hate Bills fans mainly because we usually leave that place laughing after giving them a thorough arse whipping.

Now that I live in North Florida I've also gone to some Jags games and its not too bad. Some trash talk but what can you really say as a Jax fan.🤣 Bills fans are well represented in the area and usually take up over 1/3 of the stadium.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 2

The only other stadium I've been to is Miami. They were cool, no issues. The last time we were there the Bills lost. On the walk out of the stadium we were getting some good natured ribbing. So a young (guy, early 20s) Miami fan came up to my wife and took off his cheap imitation Fish jersey t-shirt and gave it to her to wear over her Bills gear. It was funny, we had a good laugh with them, and she wore it the rest of the way. And she kept it.

I was at the GB game this year. Some of the younger Packers fans were jawboning like little *****. We gave it back to them and by the middle of Q3 they'd left.  The middle aged packers fans were depressed and football savvy. They were good people to chat with and stayed to the end 

But I Mostly run into Miami fans at they games Ive been too. Theyre either depressed, or they're twenty somethings talking all kinds of good ***** if Miami's winning. Then sometime in Q3 Miami chokes away the lead and suddenly their seats are empty.  

27 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Growing up in Connecticut I went to many Jets and Giants games in New Jersey in the late 90's and early 2000's. It's like night and day.

Giants fans: Mostly a mix but older and respectful and know how to drink responsibly. Some playful banter and gentle ribbing but far from hostile. Knowledgeable. 

Jets fans: OMG!!! Worst experience possible. Bunch of inebriated and immature punks that provoke you all game hoping to initiate a fight. Don't bring a wife or girlfriend because you will definitely be defending her honor. And they hate Bills fans mainly because we usually leave that place laughing after giving them a thorough arse whipping.

Now that I live in North Florida I've also gone to some Jags games and its not too bad. Some trash talk but what can you really say as a Jax fan.🤣 Bills fans are well represented in the area and usually take up over 1/3 of the stadium.

I was in CT in 80s and 90s and I have seen a ton of Bills games Shea, Sullivan, Giants Stadium, Jets Monstrosity they share with giants stadium-

I concur with your findings.  Giants fans are classy for most part.  I’d talk football with them, friendly

Jets- Jets, Eagles, and Raiders are worst fans IMO.  I was leaving Bills Jets game and Sammy Watkins scored a long TD while I was walking down long corridor on way out.  Some meat head Jets fan came running towards me all pissed off and wanting to fight me.   His girlfriend stopped him though.  All because I cheered a Bills TD as I walked towards exit

Worst fans behavior I have seen is Red Sox fans, and it’s not even close.  I saw a bunch of punk Red Sox fans messing with a girl in wheelchair.  Disgusting 

Edited by Pete

My worst experience was actually at Rich stadium in 1999. We were surrounded by drunk Canadian fans who only talked hockey. I was with my teen daughter and didn’t appreciate the language. It was cold December game and we were in bleacher seats and we lost to Giants on last second field goal.
Was planning to go toBuffalo for Bills Browns but ended up in Detroit. Met a lot of Browns fans and they were fine. Went to couple of Bills Pats games at Gillette and was treated fine.

6 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

While I can't speak on away football games, I can say I've been to Sabres games in Boston. Always had a good time and the fans were cool. Even the Bruins mascot came at me pretending to wanna fight in the corridor. Of course I was wearing my Sabres jersey. So I obliged him and we just kinda played around. It was all in all a cool experience. I was with my ex-wife (huge Bruins fan) and her Boston friends. But what it made it better was that the couple behind us were both Sabres fans from Buffalo. It was a good time. 

And I saw that video too. I give that Pats fan props for remaining so calm. That drunk fat slob was prolly still butt hurt from the tuck rule. 

Finding ally’s in the stands of opposing teams is awesome. Really easy to bond with them 

• Agree 1

I have honestly had only one bad experience in a visiting stadium, and I would say conservatively been to 40 Bills away games over the years. Been to prolly another 30 games when Bills were not playing. 

In all that time, my only bad experience was a Raiders game at the Colosseum in LA in 87. Was with my 64 year old Mom and 68 year old dad, and dudes were stirring up crap with us cause my Mom had on Bills gear. The whole atmosphere was rough. 

been to Raiders games in Oakland and it was much better than the games in LA. 

Just from an overall experience standpoint, the fan experience at FedEx is just awful. Stadium sucks, getting in and out sucks, most games are at 60/40 split between DC and opposing fans, the team sucks, and the die hardship that still go are torn between wanted to see their team win and lose. I started going to Skin games in the late 80s , and man RFK was about as an electric experience has one would find in the NFL, so hopefully when new owner comes in some of that will return 

I would have alerted security if I'd have been sitting in vicinity of that woman and seen her harassing that guy. What a complete and utter MORON. There's something wrong with her.

I have had 2 troublesome experiences at away games. In Phoenix a drunk wanted fisticuffs with hubby for wearing Bills colors. all hot air he was a mess. He backed down as I recall was kicked out eventually

in san diego a man took the freebie giveaway fan poster, took a pen and wrote BILLS FANS SUCK and proceeded to walk back and forth in front if us. I was with my  6 and 8 year olds I was NOT appreciative lets put it that way.  He was removed also.

the Best fan experience at an away game occurred at the LA Coliseum Bills-Raiders.  in december of 1991. We asked to purchase tickets in the Bills section . Instead of the Bills group  up in the cheap seats we were given   2 in the direct center of Raider season ticket holders section near field level. Great seats. Around us people all knew each other

We got silly stringed it was nothing serious we went along with it good naturedly. I finally at one point flashed a peace sign to the guy who was the most crazy .  The group  realized then we were not obnoxious there to rabble Bills fans. We were just fans. And from that moment everything was chill and we had the best time. The game was give and take.  Scott Norwood was 1 of 4 that day. missing 3 field goals AND a PAT   Upon he AGAIN missing a fieldgoal I was on my feet screaming at the top of my lungs NORWOOD YOU SUCK!

From a few rows ahead of me comes this elderly lady who was DRESSED in her silver and black honey silver and black cowboy hat, frail lady. She comes up and stands in front of me, takes the fan towel, Starts fanning me with the towel and says "I know how you feel honey, I know how you feel"

RIP Raider fan with the fan towel, you were and are ICONIC. 

Date: December 8 1991

Game start: 4:00 p.m. EST

Game weather: 55 °F (13 °C), wind 9 miles per hour (14 km/h; 7.8 kn)

Referee: Dick Hantak

TV announcers (NBC): Don Criqui and Bob Trumpy

Amid a burgeoning feud with team owner Al Davis, Marcus Allen put up 95 all-purpose yards on 19 combined touches (16 of them rushes) and a touchdown as the Raiders led 27–14 after three quarters. Scott Norwood had a nightmarish day as he missed a PAT and three FGs but the Bills rallied to tie the game and in overtime Norwood connected on the winning 42-yarder, and a 30–27 Bills win.

Edited by muppy

My experiences:

@Buffalo -- Before beer cut off in 3rd periods, brutal..  Those were the days

@Buffalo -- After beer cut off in 3rd and hyper screening ... Really pleasant..  Today's fans are much more tolerant

@Baltimore -- Completely fine

@Cleveland -- Completey fine

@Cincy -- TBD in two weeks.

Edited by wjag

Now, I am not a drinker at games and I will tell you I've seen some disgusting behavior by all fan bases. With that said, the most uneducated disgusting fan base that I have ever come across are New York Jets fans and its not even close.  I dont know if its NYC and the accents, the lack of football knowledge but they are the one group I don't want to sit around.  

I have went to Houston, NY Jets, Patriots, Dolphins and Packers away games, have never had a big problem. There was a kid at the Dolphins game who was just a complete jerk.  I have witness Bills fans throwing snowballs (fastballs) aimed for the heads of patriots fans in OP, I did not like seeing that but it was also funny at the same time.  However, when there is good packing snow around and a rival is in town, probably idiots from any fan base would do this.  Idiots are the exception not the rule.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.