When did this team forget how to tackle?

sullim4

The Bills do have a tackling issue though. It is something they have never excelled at under this staff but this year the overwhelming majority of our problems when teams have run it successfully have just been tackling. We have had guys in their gaps with a chance to make a play and haven't tackled well enough. 

4 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

The third and long issue has really only popped up this season. I don’t really recall it being a factor the last two years. In fact, I think we were the best defense on third down last year. 

No it didn't. We may have done well as an average, but we have been giving up clutch plays on long downs for the prior two years. Hail Murray? 13 seconds?

It's been especially bad this year though. Any time it's 3rd/4th and long I'm taking the Bills opponent to pick it up.

• Like (+1) 1

I haven't seen consistent tackling by the Bills D in years.

Of course, they have their moments, but remain consistently inconsistent.

I believe this issue has existed across multiple defensive coordinators, to some degree.

Although the root causes may be different between DC tenures, the problem/results remain the same.

PS: Go Bills!

Edited by HunTim
typo

6 hours ago, cgg716 said:

Last year was the best example, gave up 17.5 ppg on D, and still managed to give up 33, 34, and 45 in losses to good teams, with good run games notably. And that doesn't include the 42 to KC. And that defense is still the steel freaking curtain compared to this shitshow 

Also SF only gave up 28 to the falcons, plenty of times Josh would kill for 28 over the last few years 

So, enjoyed the win then?

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, NUT said:

The Bills high D ranking the last few seasons has been a bit of a farce. 3rd & long, can't stop the run when need to. Same broken record for years.

The problem on 3rd & long is new phenomenon.  The McD & Frazier defenses typically have been among the best in the league on 3rd long.   Last year they were 2nd best.  

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/11/17/23463429/bills-defense-injuries-advanced-metrics-leslie-frazier-sean-mcdermott

7 hours ago, sullim4 said:

I've seen terrible tackling performances before, but I think the first half tonight took the cake.  It seems like the defensive staff is telling the players to try to punch the ball out rather than make the tackle, and this is costing the team significant yards allowed after contact.  They cannot continue to do this - they will lose to good teams in the playoffs playing defense like this.

I see several threads trying to go after Dorsey in this game... but I was a lot more disappointed in the defensive performance, especially in the running game.

For,years we have been terrible at tackling 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, cgg716 said:

They have NEVER held down a good offense, NEVER. Piling up stats against Zach Wilson doesn't make you any good. That's your misconception 

Zach Wilson actually did well against the Bills.  It’s the other teams he’s struggled against.  
The Bills even made Brissett look above average.

Edited by BobbyC81
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

They aren't allowed to tackle in practice so they form bad habits. If you look closely, they are just hugging the runner up high like they do in practice and then of course they easily break free. You play like you practice. I don't know what the answer is because you can't take them to the ground in practice but you still have to practice good form. 

I don’t think this is true.  Most NFL don’t risk injuries in practice - yet there’s plenty of defenses in the NFL who tackle well.  We saw one last in the Jets.  

The Bills defense has struggled with tackling from time-to-time.  I’ve noticed that Hamlin does a very poor job with choosing angles.  

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah. The 2020 AFCCG was offense first. Chris Jones wrecked that game. Houston the offense scored 19 points on the road in the playoffs. That is never getting it done. Offensive failure.

Defense was at fault in 2021, sure. Collapsed in the 4th Qrtr against the Chiefs.

This is a very good point.  Part of the reason why Houston was able to come back was because the Bills offense turned the ball over and couldn’t generate any offense.   Josh played incredibly bad for most of the second half 

26 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

Cam Lewis made a good tackle. Too bad it was one of the dumbest plays I've seen

Was just going to post that Lewis could give them lessons. Has he been cut yet? He has rocks for brains. He basically cost us the Vikings game and nearly did the same last night! I never want to see him on the field in a Bills uniform again. 

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

No it didn't. We may have done well as an average, but we have been giving up clutch plays on long downs for the prior two years. Hail Murray? 13 seconds?

It's been especially bad this year though. Any time it's 3rd/4th and long I'm taking the Bills opponent to pick it up.

I mean our third down defense went from 30% allowance on conversion to just under 40% between last year and this year. That’s pretty substantial over the course of 180 third downs 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.