Buffalo CBP Seizes Jerseys at the Border, Josh's Included

T&C

2 minutes ago, 1stgm1993 said:

i would assume it was mail that was opened. If its determined to be conterfeit they will confiscate it. 

People buying on ebay or other website for cheap jerseys. 

I dont blame them $25 for a jersey is better than buying at the bills store or nfl shop

I don't know. I've seen some of those Chinese knockoffs and they look more like Lions or old Oilers colors. They're weird.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, 1stgm1993 said:

i would assume it was mail that was opened. If its determined to be conterfeit they will confiscate it. 

People buying on ebay or other website for cheap jerseys. 

I dont blame them $25 for a jersey is better than buying at the bills store or nfl shop

So I have bought stuff through DHGate for cheap. You have to pick your seller carefully. There’s always something a little “off”. I almost always buy old jerseys through China. The new ones are obvious and I have a bunch of legit jerseys in my closet too. My Bruce, Thurman, and Andre jerseys are great though. 

I’ve gotten jerseys, sneakers, and watches watches.  Not once have they gone through Buffalo border patrol. They always clear at NJ, NY, or sometimes Chicago (Chicago takes forever). It’s weird this came through Buffalo. 

This looks like some guy ordering a few Christmas presents for friends and family. This isn’t news. Meanwhile at the mall in Albany nearly all those jerseys are counterfeit. They have an entire section of defects. The NFL isn’t sending anybody misprinted jerseys for resale. So maybe we stop making news over some random dude who bought his kid something for cheap, and start cracking down on the retailers who are selling $15 knock offs for $100 at local shopping malls.

Also, those look great.

I buy all of my jerseys from direct chinese sellers. Generally speaking the price to quality is great as long as you shop smart and research the sellers. I did buy a 50th anniversary Dahlin sweater though that's unwearable. The gold border is basically christmas tree garland, and the sabres patch sits on the belly like a care bear.

On football jerseys the biggest tell is that they print text like "Bills" with a single connected thread instead of each letter individually. Still for $30 instead of $250 for something I'll wear a dozen times a year? It's a no brainer. My Allen Jersey is great, as is my Peterman, Jackson, and Taylor. My Posluszny from ~07 doesn't hold up as well, but it's the comfortable to wear of them all.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Serious question, has anyone heard of the some woman getting her knock off purse, boots, sunglasses, etc. taken at the border for being a fake?

Serious related answer.

I have a friend with a high-end store in Galveston Texas and the shop was raided by the Galveston Police and Galveston County Sheriffs office and the owners were booked and have to face a judge.  They were apparently selling knock off purses  or purses that were imitating high end crap.  They didnt advertise them as authentic but they still await their day in court so who knows.  They suspect a rival store ratted them out.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Serious question, has anyone heard of the some woman getting her knock off purse, boots, sunglasses, etc. taken at the border for being a fake?

I know somebody who had a couple pair of fake Jordan’s taken. 

I have two pair that I bought from the same reseller in the same size, and one pair is way too small. I gave them to my brother in law. They aren’t that comfortable but in most settings they’re passable. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't know. I've seen some of those Chinese knockoffs and they look more like Lions or old Oilers colors. They're weird.

I bought 4 jerseys on DHGate and they are fantastic quality and indistinguishable from the originals. Same material, same tags, same everything.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I bought 4 jerseys on DHGate and they are fantastic quality and indistinguishable from the originals. Same material, same tags, same everything.

Some "tags".

Always wondered about some of the sports memorabilia crap you can buy, they have this "authentic" usually holographic tag on them as is those supposedly cant be reproduced or easily/cheaply.  One of the reasons why I really buy it.

It like aviation parts which are incredibly expensive if they aren't repurposed crap form wrecks or china.  Often the verification of the parts or tags/certificates can be more expensive than the actual parts.

11 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Serious related answer.

I have a friend with a high-end store in Galveston Texas and the shop was raided by the Galveston Police and Galveston County Sheriffs office and the owners were booked and have to face a judge.  They were apparently selling knock off purses  or purses that were imitating high end crap.  They didnt advertise them as authentic but they still await their day in court so who knows.  They suspect a rival store ratted them out.

Completely understandable. Would be interested to know how that turns out honestly if they weren't marketing them as a different brand.

Was really more curious about someone having it confiscated after it was already purchased similar.

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

I know somebody who had a couple pair of fake Jordan’s taken. 

I have two pair that I bought from the same reseller in the same size, and one pair is way too small. I gave them to my brother in law. They aren’t that comfortable but in most settings they’re passable. 

Really strange honestly.  If they want to confiscate millions of dollars worth of counterfeit stuff that people intend to resell, I understand but taking a single article of personal belonging just seems like being a dick for no reason.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Is that for the current jerseys or the old ones? My Mitchell and Ness football jerseys are perfect. Most of my basketball jerseys are on point as well. I’m always afraid to grab anything current because when they’re off it is obvious?

If anybody has a good reseller for hockey sweaters let me know. I got a couple and they’re “good” but not great. The necks are just way too large. Otherwise they’d be close to perfect. 

My buddy just got a fully stitched Milano from the Bills shop online. And it looks like absolute trash. 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Is that for the current jerseys or the old ones? My Mitchell and Ness football jerseys are perfect. Most of my basketball jerseys are on point as well. I’m always afraid to grab anything current because when they’re off it is obvious?

If anybody has a good reseller for hockey sweaters let me know. I got a couple and they’re “good” but not great. The necks are just way too large. Otherwise they’d be close to perfect. 

My buddy just got a fully stitched Milano from the Bills shop online. And it looks like absolute trash. 

Nope, current.

I bought a home Allen, Red Color Rush Diggs, Blue 100 year NFL Anniversary Tre White, and away Edmunds. Paid like $110 at the time total including shipping...

Edited by Big Turk
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Completely understandable. Would be interested to know how that turns out honestly if they weren't marketing them as a different brand.

Was really more curious about someone having it confiscated after it was already purchased similar.

Really strange honestly.  If hey want to confiscate millions of dollars worth of counterfeit stuff that people intend to resell, I understand but taking a single article of personal belonging just seems like being a dick for no reason.

Dude there is a giant store at the mall in Albany that is entirely full of knock off gear. It’s insane. An entire section of misprinted names, or numbers. 

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Dude there is a giant store at the mall in Albany that is entirely full of knock off gear. It’s insane. An entire section of misprinted names, or numbers. 

Pass on word to enforcement and maybe you will get a commission.  If a commercial store is doing this they are risking a big fine.

Unfortunately since I work for USPTO I cannot collect commissions.

Oh and I do have a patent registered at USPTO licensed by 13 companies. Patent is used in handwriting conversion to text we take for granted these days.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Bought my kid a CMC Panthers jersey for Xmas a few years back.  Never again.   Looked like it was already shrunk.  Nameplate and numbers were uneven.   Rather just spend the money and have something that is presentable.  

Dang, they can just confiscate anything?

I have a few baseball jerseys that I’ve customized, and I’m in the process of customizing an old ‘90s Jim Kelly authentic whose numbers came off in the wash. Customizing or making for personal use / wear is OK; buying/selling it isn’t.

This is the same reason why the govt had such a beef with the mob for booze (during prohibition, with the added ‘it’s against the law!’ wink wink), gambling, marijuana — they just want the tax monies from a $300 sale instead of a $30 one. Government doesn’t like when someone else tries to get in on their racket.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.