Mind Blowing Stat of the Week

Big Turk

1 hour ago, TheProcess said:

Hackett was always going to be a disaster. Broncos brass should’ve vetted him over here with us at TBD. Coulda saved them all a lot of trouble. 

I mean, people do change and grow and improve, and Coaches are People Too (tm)

I expect if you'd have asked Browns or Kansas City fans about hiring Daboll as OC, they would have told you he was an unmitigated disaster as OC, and they would not have been wrong.  I kind of thought he was going to be an unmitigated disaster in Buffalo myself during 2018, and not the greatest in 2019 but by the time he left after 4 years, most of us hated to see him go and would say he's been missed. 

The job he's done with the NY Giants and Daniel Jones would argue to most that he "knows something" and was ready to take that step as HC

TL;DR sometimes unproven OCs and HC come through and perform, and sometimes they fail, and you can't always judge by their previous record.

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

Well, when you have a chance to hire someone from the Doug Marrone coaching tree, you just HAVE to do it, right?

In all seriousness, when I heard that Nate Hackett was hired as head coach, I had PTSD flashbacks of the absolutely awful offensive playcalling when he was with the Bills. I told myself that coaches change, evolve, and learn, and that he had surely gotten better along the way and would do just fine...

...and here we are.

Obviously, we all obviously believe the only obviously obvious response to that is... obviously. 

6 minutes ago, colin said:

ok, so why has rus fallen off so so badly?

also, how is denver's d so good? 

anyone have insight?

He doesn't have a receiver outrunning DBs anymore that he can throw rainbows to (Metcalf).

Edited by The Wiz

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I expect if you'd have asked Browns or Kansas City fans about hiring Daboll as OC, they would have told you he was an unmitigated disaster as OC, and they would not have been wrong.  I kind of thought he was going to be an unmitigated disaster in Buffalo myself during 2018, and not the greatest in 2019 but by the time he left after 4 years, most of us hated to see him go and would say he's been missed. 

The job he's done with the NY Giants and Daniel Jones would argue to most that he "knows something" and was ready to take that step as HC

TL;DR sometimes unproven OCs and HC come through and perform, and sometimes they fail, and you can't always judge by their previous record.

I think people don't understand there is a vast difference between the skills needed to succeed as a Head Coach versus the skills needed as an OC.  Almost a completely different skillset.  That is why so many fail as HC's, not because they can't coach football or don't know football.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Exactly. And most people thought they were crazy to even put Wilson the the trading block 

I heard that the Browns tried to trade for Wilson before pursuing Watson, but Wilson turned them down because he preferred Denver. How different things might look if that went through and Watson wound up in Denver. Not for the Browns. They’d still be 4-7, but Denver would’ve started a QB not on their current roster for 11 games and have Watson the rest of the way out. Instead the Broncos are tied to the Wilson anchor. 

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

True. Coaches have to come from somewhere. Daboll was always going to get the benefit of the doubt for Josh’s success (which I think is a bit overhyped). Yes, Aaron Rodgers was back to back MVP, but how much credit of that is truly attributable to Hackett? Answer - same with Daboll, we’ll never know.

Daboll seemed to have a command to him that I’ve never seen Hackett have. Likely crafted from years of apprenticing under coaches like Belichick, Saban, and McD (among others). Guys loved him, he learned from past mistakes and criticism, and he experienced a ton of success. Doesn’t mean he can replicate it, but he’s seen it. 

Hackett grew up in it with his pops, so I’m not suggesting he hasn’t learned it/worked at it. I’ve never got a head coach vibe from Hackett whenever I heard him speak or when he was calling plays for us. He has always been high energy. Like a teenager snorting pixy stix. You’ve got to have a certain way about you to be a successful HC. Hackett doesn’t have “it”. 

3 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm assuming you're going by average pts given up by their D. So you can't say they'd be 10-2 , unless they actually only gave up over 18 in only 2 games 

In regulation they have only gave up more than 17 points twice. It's not by average points.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Steptide said:

It's 100% Wilson. If Wilson was starting for the bills, they'd be 3-9 right now. Wilson is done. Has been for a while and that's why Seattle was willing to let him go 

Their offensive line is not very good.  They weren't a very good rushing team a year ago, and they're worse now with williams out and gordon fumbling off the roster. 

Playmakers are overrated or injured.  Williams and Patrick are done for the year.  Moved fant in the wilson trade.  Hamler seems to always be hurt.  Jeudy isn't good, Hinton isn't good, and Sutton is imo overrated.  Makes some big catches, drops others, can't create consistent separation.  

They need to make some changes in the coaching staff for sure, but there is a LOT wrong with this team offensively.  There isn't a single guy who's playing well.  

Hackett is clearly in over his head, and may be one and done after this season.  I do think there is a specific issue here.  Hackett is a West Coast guy.  I don't think Russell Wilson is a West Coast QB.  Denver hoped he could be, but they were in essence trying to force a square peg in a round hole.  It may also be that Wilson is hitting the wall of his career.  In any case, he's been terrible this season.  Compounding that is the fact that Denver overpaid him big time on a long term deal in the off-season.  The bottom line is that the Broncos made a huge long term bet that looks to have completely backfired.  They may be paying the price for their mistake long after Hacket is gone.

6 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Their offensive line is not very good.  They weren't a very good rushing team a year ago, and they're worse now with williams out and gordon fumbling off the roster. 

Playmakers are overrated or injured.  Williams and Patrick are done for the year.  Moved fant in the wilson trade.  Hamler seems to always be hurt.  Jeudy isn't good, Hinton isn't good, and Sutton is imo overrated.  Makes some big catches, drops others, can't create consistent separation.  

They need to make some changes in the coaching staff for sure, but there is a LOT wrong with this team offensively.  There isn't a single guy who's playing well.  

Is Denver's offense more talented than the Bills 2013 offense that featured EJ Manuel, Jeff Tuel and Thad Lewis as QBs?  I'd say yes.

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah everyone wants to blame Hackett and he is part of the problem but Wilson has been bad.  That bad.

Hackett trying to force Wilson to be an "on schedule" QB...something he has never been his entire career.  Trying to force a player into your system instead of building a system around the most important position is a sign of bad coaching.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Is Denver's offense more talented than the Bills 2013 offense that featured EJ Manuel, Jeff Tuel and Thad Lewis as QBs?  I'd say yes.

Hackett trying to force Wilson to be an "on schedule" QB...something he has never been his entire career.  Trying to force a player into your system instead of building a system around the most important position is a sign of bad coaching.

Which according to everything I have read is exactly what Wilson wanted and why he had a problem with Seattle.  Even still the guy isnt even average.  I dont care what "system" he is in.  These are NFL routes.  NFL concepts.  I've seen UDFA's play better.

Edited by Scott7975

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.