Mind Blowing Stat of the Week

Big Turk

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I heard that the Browns tried to trade for Wilson before pursuing Watson, but Wilson turned them down because he preferred Denver. How different things might look if that went through and Watson wound up in Denver. Not for the Browns. They’d still be 4-7, but Denver would’ve started a QB not on their current roster for 11 games and have Watson the rest of the way out. Instead the Broncos are tied to the Wilson anchor. 

I would not get on the Desean Watson bandwagon too quickly.  Sure he had not played in a long time.  But he looked surprisingly bad against Houston.  Cleveland won without scoring an offensive TD.  They would have been in a dogfight and lost to most teams the way their offense looked on Sunday, if they had not been playing the Texans.  As for the Texans, all I can say is they are a bad football team.  

Wilson is a mess.  Pete Carroll is a great coach who gets the most out of his players.  That helped Wilson tremendously.  And kept his odd personality from infecting the team.  Nathaniel Hackett is not Pete Carroll.  And probably has no clue what to do with Russ.    

• Like (+1) 1

While the Denver offense has been horrible and the Bronco defense has been good, please keep in mind that an Offense isn't compelled to play for as many points when they know their own defense is going to keep control of the game, meaning, I think this stat is misleading. If the Broncos were scoring more, then the offenses they play would likely being scoring more, too.

Our Bills defense was often better statistically than they deserved during the drought. The offense was anemic for those teams most of the time, so why would an offense risk playing for more yards and points when they could coast to victory feeling secure up a touchdown.

To me that is why the Bills having a good defense and a good offense has been so impressive. Other teams are trying to score more and seldom trusting their defense against us, yet, over the past few years we have a top offense and defense. Now, that, my friends IS impressive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

If the Denver Broncos could have simply cleared the very low bar of scoring 18 points on offense each game, they would be 10-2 and the #1 seed. 

That is an interesting stat for sure.  However if they did score 18 points, it is probably true opponents would have scored more at least in some games.  Teams manage games by the situation so these kind of blanket assumptions are just not valid.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The Broncos have been inept on offense all year, but their defense has been playing consistently lights out.

This stat is absolutely mind blowing.  

If the Denver Broncos could have simply cleared the very low bar of scoring 18 points on offense each game, they would be 10-2 and the #1 seed. 

I would be beside myself right now if I was a Bronco fan.  Wasting an absolute championship level defense with this trash offense.  

Mind blowing how an NFL team could be THIS bad on offense, dead last at 13.5 points a game, more than 2 points lower than the next worse team, the Houston Texans with David Mills and Kyle Allen at QB.  Even more mind blowing since their head coach was hired because he was GOOD on offense in his last job in Green Bay and he has Russell Wilson and no matter how far he has fallen, there is no reason why they should have the worst offense in the NFL.

Hackett has to go...he has ruined that team on a Rex x 100 level.

i told my buddy who is a broncos fan that they needed to keep Fangio. He was a great coach and had that D playing lights out. Just needed a QB.

All these stooges like Brandon Staley stole all his defensive ideas, but Fangio was the real mastermind.  

8 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Hackett was always going to be a disaster. Broncos brass should’ve vetted him over here with us at TBD. Coulda saved them all a lot of trouble. 

I’m just waiting for him to run Latavius Murray until he throws up. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

if I were any young skill player I would be demanding a trade. Sutton is on the tail end of his prime but still has 3-5 years and Jeudy is 23 and is being wasted. 

I've watched a lot of Broncos football this year. And my impression: maybe the guys we thought were big-time playmakers aren't. Sutton appeared ready to resume where he was before injury, but to me he seems like he's not getting separation consistently. Jeudy is nearing bust territory. I thought Noah Fant (he went to Seattle in the Wilson trade) was a only being held back by poor offensive schemes and quarterbacking. He's a bit behind last year's productivity. Add to that 3 guys hurt on the O line and the only real standouts at the skill positions last year - Javonte Williams and Tim Patrick - going down for the season by Game 1 and there's the recipe for the disaster we're seeing. No doubt Wilson has been really bad, and Hackett has been worse. But a season like this makes you reevaluate everything you thought you knew. Sutton, Jeudy, even Javonte - they may not be around. Wilson's contract says he has to be there for basically 3 more years, so they've go to bring in a new coaching staff and new players to try to make it work. There really is no other option. Dreams of a Super Bowl competitor are over. A .500ish team next year? I don't see that as out of the question.

Trying to be generous to "can't" Hackett and Wilson, it could be that Hackett worked out a good system that fit Rodgers' abilities, but can't (or hasn't) done so for Wilson.  Wilson is a different kind of QB, not as good a passer as Rodgers but more athletic.  It's deadly for a coach to take players that don't fit his system and insist they adapt to his way of doing things, when if he took their strengths and weaknesses into account the results for everyone would be much better.

Due to how much the Broncos gave up for Wilson, and to his contract, he'll be on the team for a few years.  It behooves the Broncos to find a coach who can take advantage of the way Wilson plays, and who can manage a strong defense.  I wonder when Pete Carroll's contract in Seattle runs out.  

Bills fans are quick to blame Hackett, and I'm sure he is not helping anything (bad hire), but I'm telling you... it is Russell Wilson. He is the main problem. The dude lost whatever he had. Now he is just a small, slow, has-been QB with no confidence and no leadership ability.

Not sure if this has been said already, but this is a case of statistics being deceiving. If the Broncos had been scoring more (than 18 points), then it's likely, at least in some cases, that their opponents would have scored more too, and they (Broncos) still wouldn't have won 10 games. Surely we all know that when it gets close to the end of the game, teams are more than willing to run out the clock rather than put up more points.

Although I do agree that Hackett is not a good HC.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.