Yes I know injuries on Defense... But they've been bad the last two weeks....

Billsfan1972

"It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my tail off and McDermott gets a few ranks higher on defense, I don't see another dime; so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now."  

Peter Gibbons was ahead of his time. 

8 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

It blows my mind how many posters I've NEVER seen suddenly are out and on every page of every thread reveling in some team struggles.

These mf's wouldn't be here if we won the SB, and im supposed to take them serious lol clowns 

Bills 18 - 2 FTH!!!!

Nobody is “reveling” in anything. There are simply a lot of people that never thought this offense was as talented as the ranking showed. Our oline is average for the most part. We have no run game. Davis looks like a better 4th or 5th passing option, knox has disappeared for the most part. 

We all want the same thing. Some of us just see the path to getting there differently. 

23 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

see you can’t just dismiss points allowed with a hand wave like this and expect anyone to take you seriously. Points allowed matters (it matters the most, actually.)

And holding the ball for 7-8 minutes drives does not have a negative effect on the team? Asking for a friend

22 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

It blows my mind how many posters I've NEVER seen suddenly are out and on every page of every thread reveling in some team struggles.

These mf's wouldn't be here if we won the SB, and im supposed to take them serious lol clowns 

Bills 18 - 2 FTH!!!!

Bad play brings up more discussion. Bet the Bills players and coaches would say the same when doing their film study. 

Edited by BananaB

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

At least 6 quarters.  Enough about points allowed, the opposition is moving the ball easily, which keeps the offense on the sidelines.

Pickett a rookie had over 300 yards passing (yes a blowout, but nonetheless).  Gashed by the run the last 6 quarters.

No way should they allow have allowed Zach Wilson 72% completion % and the Jets to control TOP.

Coaches seemed slow to react against Pack. Played mostly pass defense in 2nd half, as Pack ran the ball play after play.

Edited by cba fan

38 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And holding the ball for 7-8 minutes drives does not have a negative effect on the team? Asking for a friend

All comparative. Long opposition drives can affect the offense’s rhythm sure. Jet’s game I didn’t see the offense getting into any sort of rhythm anyways. The turnovers were worse.

18 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

At least 6 quarters.  Enough about points allowed, the opposition is moving the ball easily, which keeps the offense on the sidelines.

Pickett a rookie had over 300 yards passing (yes a blowout, but nonetheless).  Gashed by the run the last 6 quarters.

No way should they allow have allowed Zach Wilson 72% completion % and the Jets to control TOP.

Even the last six quarters they've been very far from bad. Very far. 

Not great, certainly. But plenty good enough to win both games and nearly all games, really.

If opponents were moving the ball easily, they'd score a lot. They didn't, because they moved the ball easily sometimes and plenty of other times not. 

The problem simply hasn't been the D, though they haven't been playing at their best. And you can try to ignore points allowed and injuries. But they still count a lot.

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again no one wants to blame the Defense.  They have allowed offenses to gash them.  

Yes Allen has had a bad 6 quarters, but when the Defense allows Wilson (really Chad) to grind out 7-8 minute drives, that is not great.

This is the new blueprint vs. the Bills, keep the offense off the field and yes when they finally get on the field that get Antsy (Allen & Dorsey) and want points.

Surprise, always defending the Coaches. 

Thing is, they really have NOT allowed offenses to gash them.

The Jets scored 20. And seven of that 20 came from a drive that started from the Bills 19 due to a horrible Allen INT.

The Pack scored 17.

The defense put us in position to win. When the offense scored a decent amount we beat the Pack. When they scored 17 (17 PPG would make us 28th in scoring, ahead of Houston, LA Rams, Denver, Pittsburgh and Indy) we lost.

And when the offense gets back to normal, Bills fans should be thrilled if opponents go with that game plan, especially when we get back Milano, Poyer, etc. The D certainly has had problems with the run for the last six quarters. And they have pretty much kicked butt against the run the rest of the year. We're 12th in defensive YPA allowed right now, and that's after the last two weeks. 

If these problems continue, it might be worth worrying. Not even close to the biggest problem right now.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Thing is, they really have NOT allowed offenses to gash them.

The Jets scored 20. And seven of that 20 came from a drive that started from the Bills 19 due to a horrible Allen INT.

The Pack scored 17.

The defense put us in position to win. When the offense scored a decent amount we beat the Pack. When they scored 17 (17 PPG would make us 28th in scoring, ahead of Houston, LA Rams, Denver, Pittsburgh and Indy) we lost.

And when the offense gets back to normal, Bills fans should be thrilled if opponents go with that game plan, especially when we get back Milano, Poyer, etc. The D certainly has had problems with the run for the last six quarters. And they have pretty much kicked butt against the run the rest of the year. We're 12th in defensive YPA allowed right now, and that's after the last two weeks. 

If these problems continue, it might be worth worrying. Not even close to the biggest problem right now.

Allowing Zach Wilson to go up-and-down the field in time consuming drives to me that's being gashed.

Again it's not how many points they scored it's the fact that they controlled the ball for so long.

20 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The offense would have plenty of points if Allen stopped turning it over at a near NFL leading pace.

Bills play as if turnovers are no big deal and don't really care about them on offense, but the team with the best turnover differential in the NFL is the only one still with 0 losses. There is a lesson to be learned in there for them.

Turnover differential is like the easiest indicator of playoff teams.  

I just think we have a convergence of unfortunate circumstances over these last couple games. Not having Milano, Poyer and Tre against the Jets is a deal breaker.  Whatever has sent Josh into this uncharacteristic funk needs to get reset. And the coaches have to be smart enough to make adjustments on both offensive & defense. 

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Allowing Zach Wilson to go up-and-down the field in time consuming drives to me that's being gashed.

Again it's not how many points they scored it's the fact that they controlled the ball for so long.

They were 5-13 on 3rd downs.  2/2 on 4ths. 

The game was 14-3 and they had the long drive to bring it back to 14-10.  Buffalo screwed up a chance to go up 7 there by not using their last timeout to really exploit the middle of the field (or to use the sidelines to stop the clock and get some free yards. 

They then had a decent drive aided by poor officiating a fake punt, and buffalo still stopped them when it counted.  Allen just gave it right back.  Now down 17-14 offense drove down for 3, and we immediately got a 3 and out.  With 12 and change left we got to midfield and just blew it.  You need to put pressure on the other team there.  Even so - Buffalo gave up 77 yards rushing on the last drive and still got a stop somehow and gave the offense one last chance. 

Before that last drive they had under 100 yards rushing and under 150 yards net passing.  If Buffalo scores on the first possession, or at the half, or when the game was tied... they win.  I don't care if they move up the field and kick field goals - we should beat a team that does that. 

This is what our defense is and has been. We are a great defense only when partnered with a good offense. The D will hold you to 15-20pts, give up some long drives, and keep you in games. If the O struggles the D is going wear down a bit. Bottom line - most games you score 24+ you will win with this D. 

20 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again no one wants to blame the Defense.  They have allowed offenses to gash them.  

Yes Allen has had a bad 6 quarters, but when the Defense allows Wilson (really Chad) to grind out 7-8 minute drives, that is not great.

This is the new blueprint vs. the Bills, keep the offense off the field and yes when they finally get on the field that get Antsy (Allen & Dorsey) and want points.

The blueprint only works if you have a good secondary, and even then its at best a coin flip.  GB has a good secondary and they gave up over 5 consecutive drives, and while their run game was effective into the 2 high safety looks, it didn't result in nearly enough points to catch up.  

Meh…if it happened with some of Milano/Rousseau/poyer/tre white in the lineup I’d be more concerned.  One concern would be we seem thin at LB because all the jets did was pick on Bernard and it was enough.  If Milano was in the lineup I don’t think they would have hit double digits. 

I know injuries are no excuse yada yada, but we were missing 3 or 4 all pro level guys on the defensive side that are all returning soon.  It’s not like we were missing average players that were replaced by slightly worse guys

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

20 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

This is ridiculous. The Bills have the best scoring defense in the league. It’s the best per game and the best per play. It’s not a perfect metric, but it’s also not particularly close. Bills are giving up 14.8 ppg. Second best is Denver at 16.5. Link

There is certainly room for debate about whether the Bills have the best Defense in the league, but it’s certainly been good enough for the Bills to win every game they’ve played. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.