Yes I know injuries on Defense... But they've been bad the last two weeks....

Billsfan1972

Again no one wants to blame the Defense.  They have allowed offenses to gash them.  

Yes Allen has had a bad 6 quarters, but when the Defense allows Wilson (really Chad) to grind out 7-8 minute drives, that is not great.

This is the new blueprint vs. the Bills, keep the offense off the field and yes when they finally get on the field that get Antsy (Allen & Dorsey) and want points.

Surprise, always defending the Coaches. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

7 minutes ago, nosejob said:

This defensive staff has to have the ability to adapt against opponents on a weekly basis. Getting home with four is great, but it ain't doable every week against every team. It feels like we are stuck in the 90's on D with an old guy that thinks we can do what the 85 bears did.

I'd take Schwartz or Pettine any day.

This defensive staff has accomplished way more than either of those DCs ever did.

Just looking at points per game (the only stat that really matters), our defense is still #1 in the entire NFL.  They were also #1 overall last season.

I agree that our coaches seem stubborn, and unwilling to adjust.  But when you step back and look at the overall results, maybe it's our expectations that are out of whack.  The Bills defense hasn't allowed over 21 points yet in a single game.  Does it really matter if they allow some big runs, if they are holding the opponent out of the endzone?

Our offense is clearly a bigger issue.  Our MVP quarterback leads the NFL in turnovers, and scoring has been inconsistent since Week 2.  

When the offense is hitting on all cylinders, we can blow the opponent out of the stadium.  But I would give-up all those blowouts for an offense that could just consistently put up 25.  We have only done that in half of our games.

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone knows what the Bills defense is. They're built to sit back and force you to make a mistake.  Plain and simple!  However....that defense was created first and foremost to stop Mahomes (and other top tier QBs) in the playoffs. With that said, I cannot understand why we're not blitzing more against younger, less capable QBs.  The roster should be capable of switching it up depending on who the opponent is. 

Looking ahead to Sunday, I'm curious what anyone thinks would be the best approach against a check-down artist like Kirk Cousins.

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again no one wants to blame the Defense.  They have allowed offenses to gash them.  

Yes Allen has had a bad 6 quarters, but when the Defense allows Wilson (really Chad) to grind out 7-8 minute drives, that is not great.

This is the new blueprint vs. the Bills, keep the offense off the field and yes when they finally get on the field that get Antsy (Allen & Dorsey) and want points.

Surprise, always defending the Coaches. 

That last Jets drive where they started at the 4 and moved into FG range was pathetic. I could see if it was the Chiefs, Bengals, Chargers but a Zach Wilson led offense was a joke.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Bills play as if turnovers are no big deal and don't really care about them on offense, but the team with the best turnover differential in the NFL is the only one still with 0 losses. There is a lesson to be learned in there for them.

I do not think the Bills play as if turnovers are no big deal and do really care about them on offense.

It's pretty easy to focus on Allen's ints and ignore that our defense was just as bad as the offense in the Jets game. 

The Jets had 3 different drives of 13+ plays. The DEF mitigated the damage in terms of points allowed, but our offense only had 9 possessions (2 of those starting with <2 minutes left in either half).

For comparison: the Chiefs DEF allowed 17 points, but the Chiefs offense had 12 possessions in regulation. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

They've given up 30 points total in those 6 quarters. That's more than enough to allow the offense to win. That's while playing with a bunch of back-ups.

The defense is not the issue.

The offense has failed and they're not playing complimentary football. When they're not playing complimentary football, it makes the game plan seem off.

Your talking like the O has been on the field half the time during those quarters. Those long drives running the ball has our O sitting on the bench a lot. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

I do not think the Bills play as if turnovers are no big deal and do really care about them on offense.

How can you say that after watching them the last 2 games?  Careless with the ball.

Actions >>> Words.  You can't throw 4 terrible INTs in 2 games and then say you are focused on preventing turnovers.

Edited by Big Turk

24 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Hard to be a top D with backups.  Not sure how you can overlook that and make any type of rational argument. 

Poyer and Hyde are not replaceable. 

White and Milano are not either. 

You really think with those 4 that game's outcome is not different? 

Those 4 represent 40% of the salary cap on the defensive side of the ball and are all back 7 players.  And the Jets game-planned accordingly.  White could’ve really helped.  Our back 7 was Taron, Edmunds, Dane and a bunch of backups and rookies.  

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

How can you say that after watching them the last 2 games?  Careless with the ball.

Actions >>> Words.  You can't throw 4 terrible INTs in 2 games and then say you are focused on preventing turnovers.

The way you originally worded it was poor then. You made it sound like the team didn’t care if they turned the ball over which obviously isn’t the case 

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

At least 6 quarters.  Enough about points allowed, the opposition is moving the ball easily, which keeps the offense on the sidelines.

Pickett a rookie had over 300 yards passing (yes a blowout, but nonetheless).  Gashed by the run the last 6 quarters.

No way should they allow have allowed Zach Wilson 72% completion % and the Jets to control TOP.

So let me guess…we need to load up on more defense right?

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Just saying it is not some coaching/QB intentional neglect strategy that caused the turnovers to occur.

Edited by I am the egg man

Allowing long, time consuming drives, whether points or not, put the offense in a hole.  Really Wilson & the Jets picked apart the Bills Defense.  

That's a bad look.

I posted this thread like yesterdays, because little has been made of the Defense being gashed the last 6 quarters.  

Can only imagine Belichek looking forward and Mac Jones doing the same.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

At least 6 quarters.  Enough about points allowed, the opposition is moving the ball easily, which keeps the offense on the sidelines.

Pickett a rookie had over 300 yards passing (yes a blowout, but nonetheless).  Gashed by the run the last 6 quarters.

No way should they allow have allowed Zach Wilson 72% completion % and the Jets to control TOP.

see you can’t just dismiss points allowed with a hand wave like this and expect anyone to take you seriously. Points allowed matters (it matters the most, actually.)

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Allowing long, time consuming drives, whether points or not, put the offense in a hole.  Really Wilson & the Jets picked apart the Bills Defense.  

That's a bad look.

I posted this thread like yesterdays, because little has been made of the Defense being gashed the last 6 quarters.  

Can only imagine Belichek looking forward and Mac Jones doing the same.

throwing inexcusable picks and dropping passes also puts the offense in a hole. One of their own making.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.