[Name Only Title] Kareem Hunt ??????????????????

Paul Costa

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

They offered a 5th ( actually it’s more like an early 6th ) and they said no

while I get your point I wouldn’t go higher and this is not a knock on you but a 5th rounder is a 5th rounder I always hated that saying. Yes some are more valuable than others but it is a media created saying to make higher picks seem more valuable 

4 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

while I get your point I wouldn’t go higher and this is not a knock on you but a 5th rounder is a 5th rounder I always hated that saying. Yes some are more valuable than others but it is a media created saying to make higher picks seem more valuable 

It’s interesting that others in the thread are saying offer a 4th ( more like an early 5th) as a way  of diminishing the value of the pick….I.actually agree with you that the pick is in the round it’s in, and like we did with Shakir last year they can move up in the round to acquire a player  …

But there is no doubt if I was Cleveland and the Bills and another team offered a 5th… I’m going with the other team as that pick will be higher..

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

It’s interesting that others in the thread are saying offer a 4th ( more like an early 5th) as a way  of diminishing the value of the pick….I.actually agree with you that the pick is in the round it’s in, and like we did with Shakir last year they can move up in the round to acquire a player  …

But there is no doubt if I was Cleveland and the Bills and another team offered a 5th… I’m going with the other team as that pick will be higher..

I just think with the overall success our scouting staff has had in the mid-late rounds, giving up a 4th is hard to swallow for me. At least we have two 5s due to the Ford trade and giving one up to me is palatable to get us the player we need regardless of position and still maintain harmony in each round 

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

I just think with the overall success our scouting staff has had in the mid-late rounds, giving up a 4th is hard to swallow for me. At least we have two 5s due to the Ford trade and giving one up to me is palatable to get us the player we need regardless of position and still maintain harmony in each round 

I think a lot of people also think that these deals are about what will suit the Bills …like you are saying here... The other party also needs to be satisfied too with what they are getting…

People were saying in the CMC thread… “ I’m offering a 4th and that’s it”… it’s like offering someone $10,000 for their house…

I know people don't want guys "like this" on our team, and I understand it, but he hasn't had any issues since the incident and has been said to be a great teammate. Would you want to be judged your whole life by your worst moment? Ray Rice never played another down in the NFL after what happened with his wife. I have a friend who knows him well, and not only was there great remorse for what he did, he has devoted a large portion of his time towards speaking to Battered Women groups and continues to grow and learn from his awful mistake. Now I don't know Hunt personally, but I don't think he would be a cancer to the team at all. And if Beane brings him in, I trust his done his homework on his background since the incident 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I get what you are saying, and normally agree. I have total confidence in our scouting department and Beane when it comes to the draft.  

However...Super Bowl windows are almost never as long as people think they will be.  Cap issues, injuries, and overall league turnover every year can change the SB picture quite rapidly and frequently.  

So when we are sitting here primed for a major SB push this year, using a draft pick to make a move that might help you get over the top is different conversation.

Let me put it this way...people have been pleading and praying we get home field advantage in the playoffs.  But what does that come with?  Potentially bad weather to be throwing in.  Last year we lost to a lowly Pats team at home because we had to resort to throwing the ball 19 times in the 2nd half because we weren't doing any better in our ground game.  Josh completed just 50% of his passes and we lost the game.  

Come playoff time, we are going to want to know we can run in bad weather and control the game.  And what happens if we have an injury to a key playmaker like Davis or Diggs?  Having another weapon like Hunt who is dangerous as runner and a receiver could be a critical piece.

So for me...Im all for it.  CMC was different, didn't like the cost.  But Hunt is a top 5 talent who can be had much cheaper, this move I am all for even though I am still someone who has confidence in Devin.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Alphadawg7 we are on the same page. Your points are spot on. Hunt would be a nice player to add to give us insurance in a very needy  RB room. He can take over as RB 1 in case Motor gets banged up. He can also take the pressure off of Cook to be that third down back. He would find a nice roll in Orchard park 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's kind of depressing reading through this thread and being reminded that we live in a "one strike, you're out" society. The justice system is supposedly meant to be a system of rehabilitation, but many people now refuse to ever forgive a person for one transgression, even if that person took full accountability for their actions and made every effort to be a choir boy for the next few years after that. I get that some acts are unconscionable and almost unforgivable, but not what Kareem Hunt did. As far as I know he did one awful thing ever in his entire life and took steps to rehabilitate his image after it happened. Here we are several years later with a bunch of Bills fans treating him like he isn't a human being capable of change, defining him by the worst moment of his young life. Pretty depressing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's kind of depressing reading through this thread and being reminded that we live in a "one strike, you're out" society. The justice system is supposedly meant to be a system of rehabilitation, but many people now refuse to ever forgive a person for one transgression, even if that person took full accountability for their actions and made every effort to be a choir boy for the next few years after that. I get that some acts are unconscionable and almost unforgivable, but not what Kareem Hunt did. As far as I know he did one awful thing ever in his entire life and took steps to rehabilitate his image after it happened. Here we are several years later with a bunch of Bills fans treating him like he isn't a human being capable of change, defining him by the worst moment of his young life. Pretty depressing.

Would you let him date your daughter/niece/close friend without bringing up his past? No one's saying that the guy needs to not exist anymore (or at least they shouldn't), but whether or not he should play football for your team and represent your city is a higher bar than the justice system.

And I'm a person that thinks we need a lot less prisons and people in them.

• Agree 1

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Would you let him date your daughter/niece/close friend without bringing up his past? No one's saying that the guy needs to not exist anymore (or at least they shouldn't), but whether or not he should play football for your team and represent your city is a higher bar than the justice system.

Wow, I don’t disagree with any of that.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

As long as you also had a problem with cog being on the team

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

However...Super Bowl windows are almost never as long as people think they will be.  Cap issues, injuries, and overall league turnover every year can change the SB picture quite rapidly and frequently.  

Prime example is Carolina, 7 years ago they were 15-1, they went from that gaudy record to 5 of the next 6 seasons with below .500 records.

9 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Hell, players don't want Diggs dating their sister!! 

36 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Alphadawg7 we are on the same page. Your points are spot on. Hunt would be a nice player to add to give us insurance in a very needy  RB room. He can take over as RB 1 in case Motor gets banged up. He can also take the pressure off of Cook to be that third down back. He would find a nice roll in Orchard park 

Last week our RB line up was

Singletary, Cook, Gilliam with Moss being an active scratch. 

If we get Hunt, I think we will be effectively redshirting Cook in his rookie season.   Everyone tells that use your RBs for their rookie contract and never sign them to their 2nd contract....now you effectively will be losing a full year of Cook's 4-year contract.   I just don't see Beane doing this knowing that he is going to not line up his prized draft pick.  Instead, they are going to get Cook in rhythm in the 2nd half and get him more touches.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Would you let him date your daughter/niece/close friend without bringing up his past?

I mean this is a ridiculous and irrelevant gotcha question. But sure I'll take the bait. Given everything I know about the situation yes I would be okay with him dating someone I know personally. He doesn't have a history of abuse. He got violently angry while drunk one time in his life, and this is 4 years ago now. Yeah I believe people can make one mistake and be better 4 years later. I know people personally like that. I'm not going to excuse what Kareem Hunt did. Whatever the girl said or how she was acting he lost his cool in the worst way and he rightly suffered the consequences for it. That doesn't mean he is inherently a bad guy forever. I get it though, we live in a society where everyone has to act like they're the most do-gooder person in the room. It's easy to stand up and say "hitting a woman is wrong." It's hard to say "I forgive this person for doing a bad thing and I accept his ability to change." Hell even Deshaun Watson I would eventually be able to forgive if he actually stood up and took accountability and committed to being a better person.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I mean this is a ridiculous and irrelevant gotcha question. But sure I'll take the bait. Given everything I know about the situation yes I would be okay with him dating someone I know personally. He doesn't have a history of abuse. He got violently angry while drunk one time in his life, and this is 4 years ago now. Yeah I believe people can make one mistake and be better 4 years later. I know people personally like that. I'm not going to excuse what Kareem Hunt did. Whatever the girl said or how she was acting he lost his cool in the worst way and he rightly suffered the consequences for it. That doesn't mean he is inherently a bad guy forever. I get it though, we live in a society where everyone has to act like they're the most do-gooder person in the room. It's easy to stand up and say "hitting a woman is wrong." It's hard to say "I forgive this person for doing a bad thing and I accept his ability to change." Hell even Deshaun Watson I would eventually be able to forgive if he actually stood up and took accountability and committed to being a better person.

3 times - all in one year. You don't remember?

Edit: and for the record, I'm not necessarily opposed to bringing him in, (though he's a lot less of a talent than CMC at this point in his career) I just very much understand the issue with it.

Edited by BullBuchanan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.