Todd Gurley says he’s done after 6 years in the NFL

BuffaloBills1998

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/21/todd-gurley-hasnt-officially-retired-but-says-hes-most-definitely-done/ only 28 years old. Seeing this makes me glad that Beane passed on trading for CMC. This is why the RB position is a dime a dozen position.

“Dime a dozen” makes them all sound about equal, which is not accurate. Some are much better than others. But NONE of them are as important as a QB, LT, edge rusher, CB1, WR1, etc. I’m glad we set a limit on CMC and didn’t up the ante. I love our FO! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

On 10/21/2022 at 4:46 PM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/21/todd-gurley-hasnt-officially-retired-but-says-hes-most-definitely-done/ only 28 years old. Seeing this makes me glad that Beane passed on trading for CMC. This is why the RB position is a dime a dozen position.

No offense, but these are not comparable situations.  Gurley had a degenerative knee issue that was always going to shorten his career.  CMC stayed major injury free his entire football life from HS to College to the NFL with the exception of some non career threatening injuries the plaguing previous 2 years.  His career does not seem close to coming to a close.  

This board tried to basically proclaim Saquan and CMC careers were all but done as high level players this offseason...yet one is leading the NFL in scrimmage yards and the reason his team is 5-1 and the other was playing so well that the Niners just traded most their 2023 draft to get him.  

No offense again, but there is no bigger false saying in the NFL than "RB's are a dime a dozen"...its just not true.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He was done at the end of his age 24 season when he did a vanishing act in the playoffs as the Rams went to the Super Bowl.

This kind of stuff always happened with star RB's but when it was the most important position in the game the 3 best athletes on the team were usually RB1,  RB2 and RB3 so there was actual cream to rise to the top and be long term starting RB's.

Now the cream of the crop of NFL athletes become receivers or defensive players......maybe even QB's.........because that is where the money is.

5 years ago 30 was the age that was the rule of thumb for top RB's to decline sharply..........now it's more like 26.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No offense, but these are not comparable situations.  Gurley had a degenerative knee issue that was always going to shorten his career.  CMC stayed injury free his entire football life from HS to College to the NFL with the exception of some non career threatening injuries the previous 2 years.  His career does not seem close to coming to a close.  

This board tried to basically proclaim Saquan and CMC careers were all but done as high level players this offseason...yet one is leading the NFL in scrimmage yards and the reason his team is 5-1 and the other was playing so well that the Niners just traded most their 2023 draft to get him.  

That’s not true at all. CMC had injury problems in Stanford. Minus 2 years his injury problems worsened in Carolina as he hasn’t played a full season in almost 2-3 years. And this is not a comparison it’s a reminder that RBs don’t last especially ones who have an injury history. CMC is only 2 years younger than Gurley. We’ll see how things play out for him in San Fran

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He was done at the end of his age 24 season when he did a vanishing act in the playoffs as the Rams went to the Super Bowl.

This kind of stuff always happened with star RB's but when it was the most important position in the game the 3 best athletes on the team were usually RB1,  RB2 and RB3 so there was actual cream to rise to the top and be long term starting RB's.

Now the cream of the crop of NFL athletes become receivers or defensive players......maybe even QB's.........because that is where the money is.

5 years ago 30 was the age that was the rule of thumb for top RB's to decline sharply..........now it's more like 26.

Alot of truth in this statement, most elite athletes won't play RB.

Who can blame them, low pay and short careers. Make more money as a top slot receiver. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Gurley took over 1,000 rushes his first 4 years in the league.  To compare, Motor has taken just over 500 so far.

These players are unique to themselves.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

Good thing he has that bad knee and can’t run away from  @HOUSE

BUT, he probably has his own car and can just drive away from @HOUSE

I remember a college buddy has his dad in town and stayed with us one night. I remember wondering what kind of grown man didn’t have his own car. Over time I developed some perspective, and realized that the high level Merrill Lynch exec living in Manhattan probably has no problem getting around, and a car in Manhattan would only hold you back. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.