Todd Gurley says he’s done after 6 years in the NFL

BuffaloBills1998

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/21/todd-gurley-hasnt-officially-retired-but-says-hes-most-definitely-done/ only 28 years old. Seeing this makes me glad that Beane passed on trading for CMC. This is why the RB position is a dime a dozen position.

Instead Beane keeps spending 2nds and 3rds drafting lesser RB’s. Is that better?

6 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Gurley would have been a top 3 pick if not for his knees coming out of college. He was an elite back but I think everyone knew he wasn't going to be around for long.

They knew it would be an issue. He managed to earn $49 MIL during his time in the league. Time to take care of your body and enjoy the good life. I hope he can live a reasonably healthy life. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

Hurley was a special back coming out of college & his first year in the NFL was pretty good i wonder seeing as he has been inactive for a few years if the knee has stopped hurting if he would be a consideration to get on a veteran minimum contract to replace someone like Moss .

If he could put together a season close to what he had as a rookie it may be worth looking into ... At 6'1 230 lb he could be a plus especially in the short yardage department & one would think there would be something in modern day medicine that they could do something for his knee to give him a couple of good seasons .

43 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Instead Beane keeps spending 2nds and 3rds drafting lesser RB’s. Is that better?

Has any rb drafted after Singletary done anything significant? Been solid while not spectacular.

Moss, miss. Whatever beane gets a pass he's been outstanding.

Cook. Very much TBD what he's going to provide. I would've rather gave a 1st for him then 3 picks. Beane is just to lethal/efficient to give that up.

Weird how this works but the cost to a good drafting team is so much higher than a team that isn't. 2010s bills would've been higher picks and still less valuable.

If cook is running with the rock well he's fine (I expect him to be good catching), cool. If not I'm down to either overdraft or pay in free agency. It sucks but let's get that position locked down instead of chasing one. The cost is adding up worse than biting bullet

14 minutes ago, T master said:

Hurley was a special back coming out of college & his first year in the NFL was pretty good i wonder seeing as he has been inactive for a few years if the knee has stopped hurting if he would be a consideration to get on a veteran minimum contract to replace someone like Moss .

If he could put together a season close to what he had as a rookie it may be worth looking into ... At 6'1 230 lb he could be a plus especially in the short yardage department & one would think there would be something in modern day medicine that they could do something for his knee to give him a couple of good seasons .

A deteriorating osteoarthritic joint doesn't get better.  It eventually gets replaced.  

He is done by his own admission.  Too bad he was special.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/21/todd-gurley-hasnt-officially-retired-but-says-hes-most-definitely-done/ only 28 years old. Seeing this makes me glad that Beane passed on trading for CMC. This is why the RB position is a dime a dozen position.

RBs are very common high athletic positions so they are easily replaceable.

assuming no injuries sone will say that a RB might have only about 1500 rush attempts in them. 20 a game means 75 games which is about 4.5 seasons.  

this is why many teams don’t draft a RB with a top 20 pick.  You want your top 20 pick to last for 8+ years ( assuming you resign them)

there are RB who can last longer if they stay healthy like Gore or Adrian Peterson.

if the back is good they are generally turning pro st earliest time so they start at 20 or 21 yrs old instead of 23 yr old so in theory you should be able to get more out of them.

it’s the big unknown…what separates a RB who only lasts 4 yrs vs one that has a 8+ yr career that isn’t a role/ back up

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

not a big deal.  You are likely not going to see them get resigned after their 4 yr team control is completed.  Expect  every other year a late 1st-4th used on a RB

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Yes. 100% Yes.

The pittance we are spending on our 3 RBs allows us to allocate money to the true skill positions (i.e. Miller, Diggs). We also have built in redundancy in case one of our RB's gets injured. When your star RB on a ~$60M contract goes down - and they often due, your season is essentially over.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

That’s not true at all. CMC had injury problems in Stanford. Minus 2 years his injury problems worsened in Carolina as he hasn’t played a full season in almost 2-3 years. And this is not a comparison it’s a reminder that RBs don’t last especially ones who have an injury history. CMC is only 2 years younger than Gurley. We’ll see how things play out for him in San Fran

No he hasn’t been hurt 2-3 years.  He was hurt 2 different seasons at Car.  You are not correct 

• Disagree 1

42 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

RBs are very common high athletic positions so they are easily replaceable.

assuming no injuries sone will say that a RB might have only about 1500 rush attempts in them. 20 a game means 75 games which is about 4.5 seasons.  

this is why many teams don’t draft a RB with a top 20 pick.  You want your top 20 pick to last for 8+ years ( assuming you resign them)

there are RB who can last longer if they stay healthy like Gore or Adrian Peterson.

if the back is good they are generally turning pro st earliest time so they start at 20 or 21 yrs old instead of 23 yr old so in theory you should be able to get more out of them.

it’s the big unknown…what separates a RB who only lasts 4 yrs vs one that has a 8+ yr career that isn’t a role/ back up

not a big deal.  You are likely not going to see them get resigned after their 4 yr team control is completed.  Expect  every other year a late 1st-4th used on a RB

That's legitimately the worst team building strategy ever.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Would it be better that we waste 4-5 picks on a washed up injured prone RB??

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No he hasn’t been hurt 2-3 years.  He was hurt 2 different seasons at Car.  You are not correct 

image.thumb.jpeg.a1f3aa4290815411fff10e9724ae08c4.jpeg

not correct huh?? 

• Eyeroll 1

While I 100% agree that RBs (and ALL positions) are replaceable, it's the quality of the talent that is difficult to replace, BUT they do get replaced eventually over time.

Tom Brady has proven multiple times that a team can win the Super Bowl without the need of an Pro Bowl RB.

Sucks for Todd Gurley though. Yes, he was a special breed of RBs in his prime.

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No offense, but these are not comparable situations.  Gurley had a degenerative knee issue that was always going to shorten his career.  CMC stayed injury free his entire football life from HS to College to the NFL with the exception of some non career threatening injuries the previous 2 years.  His career does not seem close to coming to a close.  

This board tried to basically proclaim Saquan and CMC careers were all but done as high level players this offseason...yet one is leading the NFL in scrimmage yards and the reason his team is 5-1 and the other was playing so well that the Niners just traded most their 2023 draft to get him.  

No offense again, but there is no bigger false saying in the NFL than "RB's are a dime a dozen"...its just not true.

So you’re saying either team should be happy with how they used a top 10 draft pick? Less than half the seasons between the two they were healthy. Now it’s time to re-up on the contract  which both will want primo dollars for a contract based on being healthy. Derek Henry will soon join the club. What team wants to be in this position? An elite running back can absolutely impact the game but they’re very few and far between and the risks associated are just not worth the investment for a work horse back. Not when you can platoon multiple styles with nearly no contractual risk. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Would it be better that we waste 4-5 picks on a washed up injured prone RB??

image.thumb.jpeg.a1f3aa4290815411fff10e9724ae08c4.jpeg

not correct huh?? 

I mean, CMC has more than double the touches of Moss/Cook right now this season....

But I guess the Cody Ford's and Zack Moss' and Zay Jones' and James Cooks' of the world are just too valuable.

3 hours ago, QCity said:

Yes. 100% Yes.

The pittance we are spending on our 3 RBs allows us to allocate money to the true skill positions (i.e. Miller, Diggs). We also have built in redundancy in case one of our RB's gets injured. When your star RB on a ~$60M contract goes down - and they often due, your season is essentially over.

If Singletary goes down, we don't have a suitable replacement. It would be a significant loss.

1 hour ago, BillsBytheBay said:

I didn't even know Todd Gurley was still in football. I thought General irrelevance as a pro is what happened to him.

I agree. And if you’re going to bow out mid season why not wait until halftime of an important game like a real professional? 😉

Edited by SoCal Deek

About as bad as I feel for a nfl player. Dude was arguably the best player in football for a period. He is the prime example of why every player should get every cent they can when they played.

I also remember having Gurley and AB in multiple keepers leagues 5 years ago and counting winnings. 😌

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.