Patriots may have a QB

Einstein

4 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

QB development is such a fine art.   Who knows if Edwards would have developed into something if given the same kind of support / coaching / roster development that Josh received?   

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/81573-from-mvp-to-bum-all-in-10-weeks-the-trent-edwards-story

We should all be thankful that the Bills provided a masterclass in how to mold a raw guy like Josh into a franchise QB, given all the screw ups other teams (and the Bills) have had over the years.

Well, I do agree that the Bills gave the best possible support they could and all the stability in the world to Allen's development. However it takes someone with the mindset that Allen has within himself to be great to turn out the way he has. All the great coaching in the world would be useless without the players inner drive to succeed. Not every player has that mentality. What is it the young people call it these days? "Mamba Mentality?" 

I did like me some Edwards. Looking back on it today, I believe his physical ceiling would have been an Alex Smith type. 8 or 9 win seasons and maybe sneak into the playoffs here and there. We were just so starved for even a mediocre QB at the time that he looked amazing for what we were used to.

Josh Allen has us spoiled. Had we not gotten him we would still be looking at QBs like Mac Jones and Tua and wishing we had someone as "promising" as them  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Drafting the GOAT in the sixth round is like dating the hottest girl in high school - it’s gonna mind-frick the Patriots’ fanbase for decades to come.  They think it should come easy and have zero patience for anything other than an “instant fairy tale” situation.  Not that they don’t deserve it…

Up next they have the Jets so it's too bad they just lost their best player because I was excited to see NE cement themselves as the worst team in the AFC East. I still think Jets have a good chance but probably a low scoring, close game

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Tales from the Crypt and Dream On - never forget your first!

I think my 1st boob was in the movie Pirahana at a friends house. I think I was maybe 8 or 9. Never been the same since

Edited by ddaryl
  • Haha (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

IMHO Mad Mac is Alex Smith/Chad Pennington(before the shoulder injury).

Game manager who is limited with what they can do and the throws they can make but a player you can win regular season games with and make the playoffs only to get booted in the first round once the competition becomes tougher.

Maybe Alex Smith during his first years in the league I guess

Alex Smith in the later years of his career, Mac Jones isn't fit to carry his jockstrap

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

We should all be thankful that the Bills provided a masterclass in how to mold a raw guy like Josh into a franchise QB, given all the screw ups other teams (and the Bills) have had over the years.

His rookie year was far from a masterclass. AJ McCarron and Peterman for him to sit behind and learn from with a cast of scrubs on offense blew up in their face in the season opener. They’re lucky his mental toughness allowed the player and staff to grow together. You could just as easily argue his rookie year is what dooms the career of a lesser player. 

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

There's a ton of speculation here. However, word is that Mac is actually a very hard worker. It's his physical limitations that hold him back more than anything. Mac coming from Bama actually tells me that Belichick knew way more about Mac than most would as it's very well documented how close Saban and Belichick are.

I think the issue is more that Belichick knows his time on the sidelines is winding down. There is zero chance that he approached this season as a "tank" year. Like him or hate him I will say that losing is not something he would embrace at any level or any reason. He no longer has Brady (and the benefit of phantom calls that come with Brady) to mask the fact that he has always made questionable calls on gameday. After 20 years of Brady, Belichick now has to relate to a guy in his early 20s (not an easy generation for a 70 year old man to relate to).  One constant in his tenure as the HC is his reluctance to bring in new voices from the outside. He's always just brought back coaches with NE ties that failed elsewhere or promoted his son. I believe he truly thought that Patricia and Judge would do a great job and rather than bring in someone with new concepts and vision for the future he still is clinging to the "Patriot Way". Trouble is he doesn't have anyone like Brady with the aura of success carrying out those marching orders and being the golden example anymore.

Yeah... Big difference between Brady born in 1977 vs. Mac born in 1998.  Skipping two generations... These kids are beyond the Millennial conundrum that Boomers/Xers can't figure out.   The NFL is now tapping into Gen Z. Good luck fellas! 😆 

Maybe they relate better to the hipster type coaches,  McVay and McDaniel only 10 or so years younger than these kids... 😏 

Even better, just get a Bot to coach them.   A hologram.   Trust the process?  How about, "trust the machine."

• Haha (+1) 1

I know the Patriots aren't really all that relevant any more and our FO is rightly more concerned about the Chiefs than any of the scrubs in our own division, but it will never not be fun to watch New England face plant.  The fact that they're just barely good enough to play their way out of a top 10 pick just makes it that much sweeter.

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

I was excited to wake up today to doom and gloom but all of my Pats fan friends are saying this was just 1 bad game, Pats still have the best coach in football (lol), and are a 10 win/playoff team (lolol). They said they will have a great game plan for the Bills cooked up and are expecting to split with us and if so the division is still in play 😅

As I posted last night, I think NE just made a great case to being the worst team in football. I had the Bears up there and they just blew the doors off them soooo....

I assume this game plan is "pray for a hurricane on game day" because otherwise they won't see our punter for the third game in a row.

• Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I assume this game plan is "pray for a hurricane on game day" because otherwise they won't see our punter for the third game in a row.

I don’t think the Pats*** would fare well in a hurricane this year with our defense shutting down the run. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

There's a ton of speculation here. However, word is that Mac is actually a very hard worker. It's his physical limitations that hold him back more than anything. Mac coming from Bama actually tells me that Belichick knew way more about Mac than most would as it's very well documented how close Saban and Belichick are.

Volin had tweeted about Jones' attitude and got called to the Principal's office. I'm sure they wanted that out, and I'm sure they then wanted to wallpaper it because they want to save the 1st round pick.

As far as future, I won't be surprised if he tries to get the job handed off to his kid. That would be an even more absurd trainwreck.

35 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I know the Patriots aren't really all that relevant any more and our FO is rightly more concerned about the Chiefs than any of the scrubs in our own division, but it will never not be fun to watch New England face plant.  The fact that they're just barely good enough to play their way out of a top 10 pick just makes it that much sweeter.

They are really no longer relevant and I love it.  I told my co-worker, I hope they enjoy 20 + years of purgatory.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Well, I do agree that the Bills gave the best possible support they could and all the stability in the world to Allen's development. However it takes someone with the mindset that Allen has within himself to be great to turn out the way he has. All the great coaching in the world would be useless without the players inner drive to succeed. Not every player has that mentality. What is it the young people call it these days? "Mamba Mentality?" 

I did like me some Edwards. Looking back on it today, I believe his physical ceiling would have been an Alex Smith type. 8 or 9 win seasons and maybe sneak into the playoffs here and there. We were just so starved for even a mediocre QB at the time that he looked amazing for what we were used to.

Josh Allen has us spoiled. Had we not gotten him we would still be looking at QBs like Mac Jones and Tua and wishing we had someone as "promising" as them  

Josh Allen had horrible support his first year. The Bills had the 32nd highest paid Oline in the league, and most of the starters are now out of the league. They had the 30th highest paid WR corps (not last because of Kelvin Benjamin). They had an average paid TE corps, but only because of the ghost of Charles Clay. He had Nathan Peterman and AJ McCarron to learn the position from.

Despite that he still had some electric moments every game and got visibly better over the course of the season.

If anything, JA's first year is a signal that you can take a top-level talent, and even if they're raw and in a horrible situation they will show flashes of greatness.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

Volin had tweeted about Jones' attitude and got called to the Principal's office. I'm sure they wanted that out, and I'm sure they then wanted to wallpaper it because they want to save the 1st round pick

Could you help a guy out and translate this?

Who is Volin?

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.