Tremaine Must Remain

MarlinTheMagician

I don't think there has been a Bills player that has been more polarizing on this board, or in the fan base, since 2018.  I too have been frustrated with the failures on run fits and the apparent lack of instinct blitzing and against the run.  Starting now, I officially swear off on all of that.  Having watched him closely this year, I am an unrepentant Edmunds fan.  We need to sign him.  While he gets plenty of attention from opposing coaches and national media, I think he is somewhat unsung and definitely under-appreciated by The Mafia.  He is a huge difference maker and has really upped his game.  We need to find the money, as he is a key piece of the core.  One of my favorite Twitter posts was by a Rams fan after the opener:  "The Bills defense is unfair.  They have an actual Terdactyl playing middle linebacker."   We owe this player some love.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 7
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 2

5 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I don't think there has been a Bills player that has been more polarizing on this board, or in the fan base, since 2018.  I too have been frustrated with the failures on run fits and the apparent lack of instinct blitzing and against the run.  Starting now, I officially swear off on all of that.  Having watched him closely this year, I am an unrepentant Edmunds fan.  We need to sign him.  While he gets plenty of attention from opposing coaches and national media, I think he is somewhat unsung and definitely under-appreciated by The Mafia.  He is a huge difference maker and has really upped his game.  We need to find the money, as he is a key piece of the core.  One of my favorite Twitter posts was by a Rams fan after the opener:  "The Bills defense is unfair.  They have an actual Terdactyl playing middle linebacker."   We owe this player some love.

lol, no.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

I trust Beane. If he thinks Edmunds is worth it and wants to keep him, great. If he wants to move on, I am fine with that. I agree that he gets more hate than he deserves.

I don't think he WANTS to move on, I think he just can't afford to keep him.  The contract he is going to get will shock a lot of people, IMO.  Edmunds is a huge part of the reason our pass D has been #1 in the NFL for so long...he takes away a lot of the easy over the middle stuff teams get in other games and forces them to make much more difficult plays on balance.  His biggest value isn't what we see on plays he makes, it's the plays that never happen due to his athleticism, ability to drop deep and pattern match routes, even against WR's at times, and wingspan that allows him to get in a lot of passing lanes.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

Just now, Big Turk said:

I don't think he WANTS to move on, I think he just can't afford to keep him.  The contract he is going to get will shock a lot of people, IMO.  Edmunds is a huge part of the reason our pass D has been #1 in the NFL for so long...he takes away a lot of the easy over the middle stuff teams get in other games and force them to make much more difficult plays on balance.

Can you find me his INT numbers for the last two years? How about his forced fumble numbers or tackles for loss?  I'll wait.

Or are you saying he is a "decoy" like Sammy Watkins? His mere presence on the field makes a difference?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Love the title!! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

I don't think he WANTS to move on, I think he just can't afford to keep him.  The contract he is going to get will shock a lot of people, IMO.  Edmunds is a huge part of the reason our pass D has been #1 in the NFL for so long...he takes away a lot of the easy over the middle stuff teams get in other games and force them to make much more difficult plays on balance.

If Beane and McDermott view him as critical to this defense, they will pay whatever they need to, even if that means moving on from other players. But I don't think they see it thay way. They likely have a dollar amount set and will not be willing to go over that. It remains to be seen how close that number is to what he can get on the open market.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

Can you find me his INT numbers for the last two years? How about his forced fumble numbers or tackles for loss?  I'll wait.

Or are you saying he is a "decoy" like Sammy Watkins? His mere presence on the field makes a difference?

I suggest you go watch videos about the Bills coverage schemes which pretty much always have a huge part talking about how important Edmunds is to the success of the pass defense.  Once you do that then we can come back and talk because right now you don't have enough information to have a good discussion.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

If Beane and McDermott view him as critical to this defense, they will pay whatever they need to, even if that means moving on from other players. But I don't think they see it thay way. They likely have a dollar amount set and will not be willing to go over that. It remains to be seen how close that number is to what he can get on the open market.

That's how it is for pretty much every player.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Edmunds is trending towards a priority re-sign.  He's becoming very good.. and has elite potential still. 

That said, he's playing behind a Top 3 DL in the NFL and heading into the offseason we will have had a 3rd RD pick in the system for a year.  Not sure what we're doing with Bernard if Edmunds is extended long term.  Good depth, sure, but strange use of draft capital as a top 100 pick. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

I suggest you go watch videos about the Bills coverage schemes which pretty much always have a huge part talking about how important Edmunds is to the success of the pass defense.  Once you do that then we can come back and talk because right now you don't have enough information to have a good discussion.

I could get a good look at a t bone steak by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'll take the butcher's word for it.

Do you actually watch the games or slanted, "expert" analysis? HINT: Joe B. is not an expert.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

Unfortunately, I think he'll be too pricey for us to keep. This board hates him because he doesn't make a ton of splash plays vs the run without an understanding of his role in the run game or how run fits work within our scheme. He's more than just a pass defender and he'll be paid as such.

4 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Pay no attention to what your eyes see every game.  Just trust that Edmunds is doing exactly what he's being asked to do and try to understand that all of his missed tackles and blocks are by design and that Edmunds is the main reason the rest of the defense is so good.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I could get a good look at a t bone steak by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'll take the butcher's word for it.

Do you actually watch the games or slanted, "expert" analysis? HINT: Joe B. is not an expert.

I watch both.  And I am not talking about Joe B.  Cover 1 does exceptional breakdowns and several other players and/or coaches break down his importance to the Bills pass D.  

And unless you are watching All-22 film you wouldn't be able to see what I am referencing.

So what your eyes are seeing is simply giving you an incomplete picture.

Edited by Big Turk

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Pay no attention to what your eyes see every game.  Just trust that Edmunds is doing exactly what he's being asked to do and try to understand that all of his missed tackles and blocks are by design and that Edmunds is the main reason the rest of the defense is so good.

Just like Tua's head. Your eyes are so dumb!

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.