WR - Almost as Decimated as Secondary

OldTimer1960

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Patterson had long been very good at something.........returning kicks.

Austin has never been good at anything...........so if he did something I guess it would be a "surgence".

He was a starter early in his career. Maybe you’re talking breakout.

But if we’re looking at trades then Chase Claypool is very interesting to me. Cap #isnt bad.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

7 hours ago, Bills2022 said:

Cole Beasley is now available.  They moved him to the practice squad.  I bet the Bills sign him this week. They aren't going into KC with this banged up receiving group.  He is without a doubt their best option.

Without question our best option between knowing the offense for the most part and experience playing with Allen…but I don’t think there is much chance of it happening.  

Even if Beasley was willing to come back, Beane won’t bring someone in who didn’t want to be here.  He will elevate off the PS before signing Beasley.  

15 hours ago, poblano said:

Even 2 RB, one as normal and the other as WR.  It's time to be creative 

GB has been doing this with jones and dillon.  Its one of the few things that tends to work for them too. 

12 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I agree, Stevenson has made no noise anywhere except for fumbling a punt or two.  If he shows anything, i would be pleasantly surprised.

He had a nice camp before the foot injury.  

21 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I counter the argument with, you can’t continue to waste resources, especially higher draft picks on garbage players and say you addressed a position, no you used a pick and still left a hole.  See RB, LB, DL, OL.  The DL picks are coming around, but with the investment in it, they damn well better and you STILL had to go sign a real pass rusher.  RB, are you kidding? WR, you have paid zero attention to since getting Diggs.  You let go of Beasley and didn’t even spend the same amount back on the group as a whole.  There are choices to be made and Beane has not made the best of them in many instances.  Overall, Allen is covering the offensive gaffes, but how long can he do it behind that line?  

As I stated.  The expectations for Brandon Beane are totally unrealistic.

• Every early Day 1-2 draft pick must be an immediate star, or he's a "garbage" player. 
  • Every free agent signing must be a huge contributor, or he's a waste of money. 
  • Every position must be addressed with significant resources every couple years, or it's being ignored. 
  • We must be able to sustain injuries down to our 3rd-4th string, or we failed to get enough depth on the roster. 

Here is the reality.  We are only given 7 draft picks each year.  There is a salary cap that we must adhere to.  Not every pick is going to hit.  Some young players are going to take 2-3 years to develop.  Not every free agent is going to be a good fit on a new team.  Some vets will unexpectedly start regressing after signing a new contract.  And there are times where injuries hit a single position all at once, and there is really nothing you can do about it.

You don't say a Quarterback sucks because he threw an incomplete pass.  Nobody has a completion percentage of 100%.  You judge him based on how he compares to his peers.  A great QB can throw for around 65-70% in a year.  It's the same thing with a General Manager.  You don't dog him because of the occasional Cody Ford and Zack Moss picks.  You judge him based on how his overall roster building compares to other GMs in the NFL.  And the opinion of many (if not most) people who cover the NFL is that Beane has constructed the strongest and/or deepest team in the NFL.

In reference to the WR position... He traded a 1st Round pick for Stefon Diggs in 2020.  He has used draft picks on Gabe Davis, Isaiah Hodgins, Marquez Stevenson and Khalil Shakir.  In free agency, he went after Emmanuel Sanders and Jamison Crowder.  Past flashes showed that Isaiah McKenzie deserved a shot.  And Jake Kumerow has performed well in spot duty.  The team has an All-Pro #1, an up-and-coming star at #2, two solid slot receivers and a rookie they are really excited about.  Injuries may force us to make another move.  But we can't act like this position was weak entering the season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 hours ago, DCofNC said:

If we were talking about QB in the awful years would you be cool with “addressing” the position with 4th, 5th and 6th round picks?  No.  Outside of Diggs they have done NOTHING to support Allen at WR in the draft.  They let Beasley go and didn’t even spend what he was making to get replacements.  Basham and AJE were both awful picks due to the available options and Cook is another ***** RB prospect, who much to my dislike is exactly what I said he was, a pass catcher who can’t pass block and therefore can’t get on the field.

Beasley was DONE as a Bill. I appreciated how hard he played for them, but keeping him on this team would not have done the Bills any favors. 

20 hours ago, mjt328 said:

• Every early Day 1-2 draft pick must be an immediate star, or he's a "garbage" player. 
  • Every free agent signing must be a huge contributor, or he's a waste of money. 
  • Every position must be addressed with significant resources every couple years, or it's being ignored. 
  • We must be able to sustain injuries down to our 3rd-4th string, or we failed to get enough depth on the roster. 

Here is the reality.  We are only given 7 draft picks each year.  There is a salary cap that we must adhere to.  Not every pick is going to hit.  Some young players are going to take 2-3 years to develop.  Not every free agent is going to be a good fit on a new team.  Some vets will unexpectedly start regressing after signing a new contract.  And there are times where injuries hit a single position all at once, and there is really nothing you can do about it.

You don't say a Quarterback sucks because he threw an incomplete pass.  Nobody has a completion percentage of 100%.  You judge him based on how he compares to his peers.  A great QB can throw for around 65-70% in a year.  It's the same thing with a General Manager.  You don't dog him because of the occasional Cody Ford and Zack Moss picks.  You judge him based on how his overall roster building compares to other GMs in the NFL.  And the opinion of many (if not most) people who cover the NFL is that Beane has constructed the strongest and/or deepest team in the NFL.

In reference to the WR position... He traded a 1st Round pick for Stefon Diggs in 2020.  He has used draft picks on Gabe Davis, Isaiah Hodgins, Marquez Stevenson and Khalil Shakir.  In free agency, he went after Emmanuel Sanders and Jamison Crowder.  Past flashes showed that Isaiah McKenzie deserved a shot.  And Jake Kumerow has performed well in spot duty.  The team has an All-Pro #1, an up-and-coming star at #2, two solid slot receivers and a rookie they are really excited about.  Injuries may force us to make another move.  But we can't act like this position was weak entering the season.

Life must be beautiful behind those rose colored glasses.  If you really believed Diggs and a bunch of guys were not weak as a group prior to the season, you were snorting straight hopium.

• Disagree 3

24 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Life must be beautiful behind those rose colored glasses.  If you really believed Diggs and a bunch of guys were not weak as a group prior to the season, you were snorting straight hopium.

Yes because they should be planning for 3 of their WRs being injured/lost for the season. 

On 10/3/2022 at 7:18 PM, OldTimer1960 said:

Depth Chart:

Diggs

Davis - really too injured to be effective, but gutting it out

McKenzie - concussion, likely out at least 1 game

Crowder - out for season broken ankle

Kumerow - out, ankle

Shakir - likely starting v. Pitt

Boy, that is f*cking ugly.  Davis should be sitting until healthy, but they NEED a body on the field.  Shakir will be fine, I think.  Nobody else even has much chance at all of playing this week.  Can’t go into a game with only Diggs, Shakir and a seriously hobbled Davis.  

Who is available?  I loved Isaiah Hodgins effort in preseason, but he can’t create separation against preseason fodder.  I don’t think he will contribute anything of note in the regular season.  None of the other practice squad bunch is likely to help.  I guess maybe Tavon Austin could make a play once in a while, but I would not want to count on him much.

Do they have $ to sign a vet?  Is one available who could be more than just a guy?  Is Emmanuel Sanders in shape?  Beasley signed elsewhere.  TY Hilton?  Will Fuller?  

Things are desperate enough to consider a trade, but really can’t take on significant salary so maybe  for a young guy they liked that hasn’t hit it big yet?

Diggs and Shakir with 2 TE sets and motor in or they will roll Diggs, Shakir, Hodgins, with Cook/Motor split out and 1 TE. Those are the 2 packages I expect to see a lot of. Tavon may be elevated as well to play Teams. We are OK.

On 10/5/2022 at 11:00 AM, mjt328 said:

You do not understand what an NFL GM and HC are responsible for.  They spend all off-season seeing what went wrong, what's getting worse, and develop plans to fix but more to anticipate what will need to improve.  In this light...  

They came out of last season with Diggs, Davis, Beasley, and multiple WR 4/5/6 and PS caliber types.  On a team with Josh freaking Allen at QB.  The response? They proceed to cut the now-retired Beasley and sign the similarly sized Crowder to replace him.  They used a later round pick on another slot type receiver and signed the now departed Tavon Austin. (EDIT: they re-signed McKenzie - another slot guy).    

And it's a surprise the passing game is struggling?  A big part of the problem is their solution to offensive issues in the off-season was to improve the running game. With UFA's on medium to low cost short term deals.  And, for the 3rd out of 4 years to use another pick on a RB.  

It's roster negligence given what the NFL has been as a passing league the past 15 or so years.  It seems the GM and HC just expect Josh to elevate WR 4/5/6 types, that Diggs and Davis will not miss time, they'll become a strong running team and the defense will be elite enough if that doesn't work.  Talk about going down the wrong path. 

Edited by BillsVet

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.