Week 5: Steelers at Bills 10/9 1pm

YoloinOhio

Mike Tomlin answers why Von Miller is able to keep playing at a high level and other interesting takes

https://www.nfl.com/news/steelers-hc-mike-tomlin-on-what-makes-bills-de-von-miller-special-some-guys-are-

Favorite quote "We talk about his talents often," Tomlin said. "But this guy is a scientist. He works at his craft. He encourages, trains others to do so that are like him“

tou can see this in our younger guys. Even if he doesn’t make it to the end of his contract .. his work developing the younger guys will pay dividends for years to come

Edited by CorkScrewHill
  • Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This might come back to bite me but I would go back to Trubisky for the next two weeks if I was Tomlin. Their next two games are Buffalo and Tampa. That might be the two best defenses in the NFL. 

I'd start Pickett week 7 against the Dolphins. 

Not a bad thought. I don’t think Trubisky gives them a better chance of winning, but those are the type of games that could shake a rookie QB’s confidence. Waiting for a softer part of the schedule might help Pickett’s learning process. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Not a bad thought. I don’t think Trubisky gives them a better chance of winning, but those are the type of games that could shake a rookie QB’s confidence. Waiting for a softer part of the schedule might help Pickett’s learning process. 

Exactly my thinking. I wouldn't be worrying about how many games I win in 2022 so much as I'd be worrying about setting Pickett up for long term success. To me you either started him from the get go or you went with Trubisky let him take the pain in the tough early part of the schedule then go to Pickett down the stretch in the hope he goes into next season with momentum. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This might come back to bite me but I would go back to Trubisky for the next two weeks if I was Tomlin. Their next two games are Buffalo and Tampa. That might be the two best defenses in the NFL. 

I'd start Pickett week 7 against the Dolphins. 

Apparently Mitch has been playing soft.  Remember when Trent Edwards threw the ball out of bounds on fourth-and-game and he went from starter to released?  That’s where they are in Pittsburgh already.  Pickett will at least hang in there and put the ball up for grabs for the Steelers’ big wideouts.

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Apparently Mitch has been playing soft.  Remember when Trent Edwards threw the ball out of bounds on fourth-and-game and he went from starter to released?  That’s where they are in Pittsburgh already.  Pickett will at least hang in there and put the ball up for grabs for the Steelers’ big wideouts.

I think Pickett needs to be in there, I agree. But I think throwing the kid in vs the Bills and Buccs is a risk. 

9 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

How common is it to have surgery on ankle sprains?  Watkins/Byrd had lisfranc or whatever its called, is that considered an ankle sprain too?

Surgery on an ankle sprain is considered rare ~ only when there is complete lateral instability or when all conservative treatments have failed

A Lisfranc injury is not considered an ankle sprain; it's a midfoot injury involving a fracture or ligament tear

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/lisfranc-midfoot-injury

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Exactly my thinking. I wouldn't be worrying about how many games I win in 2022 so much as I'd be worrying about setting Pickett up for long term success. To me you either started him from the get go or you went with Trubisky let him take the pain in the tough early part of the schedule then go to Pickett down the stretch in the hope he goes into next season with momentum. 

I agree with you, but I don't believe this mentality is in Tomlin's DNA.

This is going to wind up being an awful, terrible, no good season for the Stillers.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Jesus I had forgotten about that lol

26 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

CT, I have a friend of mine that went to Stanford and stays in touch with the Stanford community.

They blame Edwards' career failings almost 100% on the Bills and the way they handled him.  

It's like the old excuse story...I was just one good coach away from being good.

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It might have started with Byrd but it's a TSW tradition for players with recurring foot injuries.    

More closely associate with Sammy Watkins though, I think..........he was basically a 70 yard per game receiver his first two NFL seasons.......then got "boo-boo foot" and turned into the kind of producer Gabe has been his first 3 seasons,  which is a pedestrian 36.7 yards per game.  

Dang, Sammy Watkins.  I'd blanked him out of my mind LOL.   I think the main thing with Sammy is since his Buffalo adventures he's been traveling with teams where he's #3 or *mayyyybe* #2 on the depth chart.  He thought he was the 'Big Dog' but found out the hard way that "unless you're the lead dog the view never changes"

Wasn't it acknowledged that Sammy's foot was legitimately bad while he was being asked to practice and play on it (and later, he admitted that it was his own fault for going against medical advice and his recovery plan and training on it after surgery before he should have)?

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Considering that this foot injury won't seem to stop recurring I'd suspect he should have had a procedure to tighten it up.    Perhaps he did, it has failed and we don't know.   But it would be interesting to find out if the team has wanted him to get surgery and he has refused.   He isn't a big fan of medical science,  we know that so maybe he has been dodging the knife?

I don't think Davis had a procedure.  He's pretty active posting pics of his off-season training on social media and also trains with a bunch of other guys who post stuff.  I think more likely, he was told to take time off and rest and heal and went right back to hard training.

It's a funny thing, but a lot of these same guys who were all No!  Experimental!  Not proven!  No Data! about a certain shot, are "All In" for all kinds of jabs (IVs) and procedures that have little or no data demonstrating their effectiveness - glutathione and biotin and vitamin IVs (some laced with toradol and zofran).  Poyer is right up at the front of the line and it wouldn't surprise me if Davis was too.  Now some of these things, like spirulina smoothies or IR light therapy, have low down-side but AB found out the hard way that cryotherapy has serious side-effects if not done properly and if IV solutions are being made up in a facility that doesn't take sterility and raws testing as seriously as it should (has occurred....), the results aren't pretty.

Anyway, time will tell which side of the "skeptical" coin some of these guys come down on when asked to get a procedure.  Beasley started his career as a Bill with surgery on his groin, after all, another piece of evidence that Fandom of Medical Science is a selective thing for these guys.

I doubt the team would want a young player to get a surgical procedure over a single-season issue unless significant tearing was found.  They might have told him to rest, and he might have ignored that.  Now that it's recurring multiple seasons you're probably right that a procedure might be indicated.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

10 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I agree kinda.  Probably their best shot but I think it makes it easier on us too.  We know Mitch.  There isnt much tape on the new guy.

Disagree that Trubisky gives them the best shot. Seeing parts of the games this week, Trubisky is Trentative personified - very indecisive and his vision only covers a few yards past the LOS. 

My guess is that Tomlin would rather know about Pickett now than play safe and extend the uncertainty. Much as the Steelers suck on OL, Trubisky hasn't shown the ability to play around those limitations. It's tough on Pickett, very tough but that's how things have been working in the NFL - been thrown into the fire with little runway to acclimatize to the NFL 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

It's still early for me so my brain isn't really on yet, but can someone tell me when Stevenson is eligible to return?

He went on IR, so he's eligible after 4 games.  If it was Jones-fracture type surgery, the bone healing time is usually 6 weeks but then a couple more weeks to strengthen and condition.  Also, unlike PUP, IR'd guys can't practice with the team until they're off IR so there would likely be several weeks where the Bills have to use a roster spot on him without him being able to contribute.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.