Jump to content

Time for Beane to "break glass in case of emergency"?


zow2
 Share

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Big Turk said:

 

No...not happening.

 

The Bills D allowed 212 yards to a team that just put up 500 something yards the week before.  Why would they think they need to go get someone?

 

I am not sure how much you understand about football but they are running a different run blocking scheme under Dorsey and Kromer than they did under Daboll which features a lot of zone blocking.  This is going to take time to adjust to and for the line to understand how to maximize their effectiveness at it. Probably will not see them at their best in this regard until after midseason.

While true, I would attribute their 212 yards of offense more on the fact their defense couldn't get the Bills offense off the field.  They only had the ball 18 minutes and moved the ball when they did.

 

I'm not advocating for any knee jerk spending sprees here, but if our receiving corps keeps taking the hits they are with injuries, OBJ is more and more tempting if he can be had for a contender discount and is healthy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, pocoboy said:

 

Man, 1 loss in September and it's already doomsday.

 

Right? I really can't fault them too much for this loss. The defense did pretty well missing their entire starting secondary sans Taron Johnson. And I think if the OL was able to hold up they probably would've won the game. It happens. But now we've got a buncha posts about this coach needs to do this and Beane should go do that and blah blah blah. They're looking at DBs today and probably OL as well. I doubt he swings any monster trades or anything but I'm sure they're doing the work. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, zow2 said:

People like to say, well we have Josh, the Bills Super Bowl window will be open for the next 5-7 years.  Ummm, maybe not?  There's probably a lot more examples of football team's who look great and then for whatever reason never get over the hump.

 

I don't like mortgaging future assets but maybe this is the year Beane has to make some in-season trades to help get a Super Bowl ready team solidified.  The injuries in the secondary and lack of run support to take pressure off of Allen are gonna be a thing.  

 

Depending on where this team is before the trade deadline in terms of injuries and record wise I could definitely see a move or two made.

 

But I don't see a scenario where any 1st round picks are traded if anything because the team won't have the cap space to accommodate the type of player they'd be getting in return.

 

Either way this team is treading dangerous waters right now where injuries can ruin everything similar to the Ravens last year and 49er's in 2020.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

While true, I would attribute their 212 yards of offense more on the fact their defense couldn't get the Bills offense off the field.  They only had the ball 18 minutes and moved the ball when they did.

 

I'm not advocating for any knee jerk spending sprees here, but if our receiving corps keeps taking the hits they are with injuries, OBJ is more and more tempting if he can be had for a contender discount and is healthy.

 

They punted 5 times including 3 3 and outs...they had a chance to stay on the field more, they just couldn't do it.

 

OBJ while it seems good really depends on where he is with the ACL. Most players usually aren't right for about a year or so even after they get back to fully playing.  So we would be getting OBJ at maybe 70% of what he normally is.

Edited by Big Turk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

 

Right? I really can't fault them too much for this loss. The defense did pretty well missing their entire starting secondary sans Taron Johnson. And I think if the OL was able to hold up they probably would've won the game. It happens. But now we've got a buncha posts about this coach needs to do this and Beane should go do that and blah blah blah. They're looking at DBs today and probably OL as well. I doubt he swings any monster trades or anything but I'm sure they're doing the work. 

 

The coaching staff is what they are, it's tough to see them changing now after 5 years. Could have replaced Frazier this offseason but stuck with him. They have to find a way to get on the right side of the results when the margins are thin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

 

But Dobbins also injured the LCL it wasn't a "standard" ACL tear (to the extent that there is such a thing). We were told White's was a standard ACL with no damage to other ligaments. If he cannot come off PUP and start practising immediately in week 4 then he is at least a month behind what you would expect for a standard ACL tear these days. Of course no two injuries are ever identical but the Bills spent the whole summer saying "on schedule" and it feels like he is slightly behind schedule to me. I suspect there was a min-setback somewhere and they didn't want to talk about it. 

 

Everything you say is possible.  What none of us know is what Tre has been able to do on his own (of course with approval from

medical people).  

So, we wait until next week to see if it's longer or he can hit practicing literally on the run.  My hope is he's good to go next week and

can be ready for the KC game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With Hyde being out for the year, why isn't Beane signing a Safety?  The guy on the PS isn't even experienced enough to come in.

 

This team refuses to use Neal on defense.  I don't even know if he played any defense in the preseason.

 

I guess they could use Cam Lewis who never seems to be healthy anyways.

 

Right now we have 3 total safeties on roster, and IMO Johnson really struggled last game.  With a couple vets still on market (Landon Collins, Jaquiski Tartt, etc) it seems strange that it is being neglected.  

  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm just going to reply generally about all this stuff.

Beane has to be as confused as all of us on these injuries.  He has very limited funds.

He needs to move a player to fit Xavier.  He just signed an OL.

 

I bet he is waiting to see the injury report with a little more anxiety than us fans.

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm just going to reply generally about all this stuff.

Beane has to be as confused as all of us on these injuries.  He has very limited funds.

He needs to move a player to fit Xavier.  He just signed an OL.

 

I bet he is waiting to see the injury report with a little more anxiety than us fans.

 

 

He doesn't have to since he signed him to the PS

 

https://www.nfl.com/news/former-vikings-colts-cb-xavier-rhodes-signing-with-bills

Edited by Big Turk
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm just going to reply generally about all this stuff.

Beane has to be as confused as all of us on these injuries.  He has very limited funds.

He needs to move a player to fit Xavier.  He just signed an OL.

 

I bet he is waiting to see the injury report with a little more anxiety than us fans.

 

 

Hyde is out for the year.  The current injury report won't change that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Part of me is wondering if he’s just trying to get to the bye week, at which point, if we have a healthy Tre White, Dane Jackson, Kaiir Elam, Christian Benford and Xavier Rhodes, somebody (Benford?) starts transitioning to Safety. 
 

There’s been rumblings that Benford (long term) may be a Safety here. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

With Hyde being out for the year, why isn't Beane signing a Safety?  The guy on the PS isn't even experienced enough to come in.

 

This team refuses to use Neal on defense.  I don't even know if he played any defense in the preseason.

 

I guess they could use Cam Lewis who never seems to be healthy anyways.

 

Right now we have 3 total safeties on roster, and IMO Johnson really struggled last game.  With a couple vets still on market (Landon Collins, Jaquiski Tartt, etc) it seems strange that it is being neglected.  

Now that you have brought it to his attention, I am sure a signing is imminent. 

  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

 

Hyde is out for the year.  The current injury report won't change that.

 

I'm talking about the current injury report.  If you can't see what I mean, fine.

I'm sure he has contacted S's agents.  If and when he signs one has other implications.

He added another DL to the 53.  He would need to cut one or put one on IR to open a spot for a S on the 53. As an example.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

With Hyde being out for the year, why isn't Beane signing a Safety?  The guy on the PS isn't even experienced enough to come in.

 

This team refuses to use Neal on defense.  I don't even know if he played any defense in the preseason.

 

I guess they could use Cam Lewis who never seems to be healthy anyways.

 

Right now we have 3 total safeties on roster, and IMO Johnson really struggled last game.  With a couple vets still on market (Landon Collins, Jaquiski Tartt, etc) it seems strange that it is being neglected.  

Johnson did not really struggle in the last game

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can all sit here and question the personnel moves, but I'm going to trust that the coaches and management that work with these players every single day know an awful lot more about the roster than any of us do.  Of course, I may be wrong. (sarcasm)

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...