Cowherd killing Bills coaching in his monologue

zow2

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It starts up front for me. So many of our plays end up with Josh having to improvise because we don't hold blocks. The Eagles have one of the best offensive lines in the league and their GM has always believed in fortifying the trenches. I wouldn't like to put a percentage on the number of plays last night that ended up being run as they were drawn up, but it wasn't many. 

Even before the injuries Miami were getting rushers at Allen on most snaps. 

But at least we have a defensive line rotation, right? RIGHT?!?

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It starts up front for me. So many of our plays end up with Josh having to improvise because we don't hold blocks. The Eagles have one of the best offensive lines in the league and their GM has always believed in fortifying the trenches. I wouldn't like to put a percentage on the number of plays last night that ended up being run as they were drawn up, but it wasn't many. 

Even before the injuries Miami were getting rushers at Allen on most snaps. 

The Chiefs, Cowherd's comparison, have never had a great offensive line and their scheme doesn't necessarily require one.

You just can't be dominant at every position group. It's not feasible. The Chiefs have the offensive minds on staff to utilize one of the game's best young QBs to overcome personnel deficiencies in their offense, while the Bills as of yet have not been able to find similar results with arguably a more talented QB.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

He actually did that yesterday.  He completed 16 passes to backs for 143 yards.  That's 8.9 ypc on what were essentially extended running plays.  So, it worked.  Where he struggled yesterday was consistently being able to connect on the downfield throws.

It's kind of sad that we're here overanalyzing a game where most of the factors in the loss likely came down to mental/physical exhaustion.

Short week.

Tropical temps.

1pm start.

His misses downfield were often hits, but Diggs and Davis both dropped big opportunities that could have drastically affected the outcome.

I tend to agree with the guy above, what you miss are any runs like you got from Moss in that one jaunt down the side. You need outside zone/end runs that can force the corners and OLB's to stay home. Cook is that guy, and you really don't want to end up with 2 conference losses already after next week. It's time to get him Cooking.

36 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Cowherd is an idiot.

33 minutes ago, zow2 said:

He’s a blowhard talking head. But his show is popular nationally and listened to by a lot of people. Even if some here don’t watch or listen. 

So he's an idiot for making an honest (and probably true) assessment?  The coaching staff looks brilliant when they win by 30 points.  Anybody can coach when up by a billion.  They crumble when it's a close game in crunch time.  They haven't won a 1 score game since the 27-24 wild card game vs Indy.  This is a big problem.  And what happened?  AGAIN clock management plays a roll. 

9 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

He’s not wrong with the cam comparison. I’ve been saying this for a couple years now. Do we want Allen for 6-7 more years or 12-15. They way he is used now it is not sustainable

Point to Cam all you want, but Cam was injured in the pocket, on roll outs, etc. His injuries to his throwing arm and shoulder were not from scrambling, and that's what did him in.

The Cam comparison only works if you disregard all the facts about his actual situation.

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

How do you generate offense outside of Allen?

A run game. A competent run game would have spared a fraction of the blitzes from that garbage Miami defense.

Garbage. 

With third string O line? LOL

Edited by TH3

Allen = Cam is a perhaps the dumbest comp I can think of, other than both of them being large human beings who can throw a football and run. 

Allen is a better athlete, and has more arm talent. Cam, when healthy, was a much more of a finesse passer than Allen’s howitzer. 

As for the rest, I mean we have so much data in NFL history that close game wins/losses are statistically random and everything eventually reverts to the mean of the population. 

There’s almost nothing intrinsically different from what Buffalo does in close games than other teams do. 

I mean 99% of the time Josh scores on that drive against the Titans last year, and the Bills TWICE had opportunities to win in the end yesterday.  

Sure Allen was exhausted, but he ran like 5 times. He was exhausted because it was a million freakin degrees and the Phins were bllitzing like their lives were on the line. 

The whole thing is farcical 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

Imagine if we had the colts line and Taylor? Would be unbeatable. 

Gawd...we lost 1 game in truly unique circumstances 

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

Our first string o line is nearly as bad. Josh improvises so much and masks how bad they are. When you can establish a run game, you know your line sucks. 

No....Its not

Just now, BillyBilliams said:

So he's an idiot for making an honest (and probably true) assessment?  The coaching staff looks brilliant when they win by 30 points.  Anybody can coach when up by a billion.  They crumble when it's a close game in crunch time.  They haven't won a 1 score game since the 27-24 wild card game vs Indy.  This is a big problem.  And what happened?  AGAIN clock management plays a roll. 

The players have to execute. The blame is on everyone, including Josh. Just like the credit for success falls on everyone. When we win, it isn't only because of the players. When we lose it isn't only because of McDermott. They all play their part.

I didn't see anything in that game that points me to believe that there was some epic coaching failure. The Bills got beat by injuries, heat exhaustion, and failures of execution (which does fall on the players, because clearly the coaches did their jobs and the players didn't execute).

The only thing I fault for the coaches is playing Moss too much. But that is a game where you need all of your depth because of the extreme conditions, so if there is ever a game where Moss is going to share the load, that was the one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, McBean said:

Sean Payton.

Get him here next year Beane.

If not, we are going to waste Allen.

I'm a big McD guy and have been since the team celebrated that huge first down catch vs the Raiders by I think it was Holmes his first season as coach.  

My initial reactions after 13 seconds, while needing 24 hours to cool off (that he should have been fired you don't recover from a loss like this - you don't lose like this) - but that thought is still in the back of my mind and until we win a SB hangs over his legacy.  I hate it because he's transform this franchise.  But it's still a business.  And it's a cruel one at times.  

Just knowing if this goes south and say this coaching job opens up, it will be the premier destination for any head coach like Payton - and thats a bit comforting honestly.  That hasn't been the case here ever.  

Now it won't be open any time soon either and I'm not saying his job is on the line.  

But Andy Reid was never "under fire" for losses like we've had the last 2 seasons while he's had peak Mahomes and a much worse defense.  

Standards are up everywhere here and that includes the coaching. 

I think we need to show much more calm and poise in the close big games then we've been. 

And I'd like to see us talk about the playoffs and division and chill out with the SB or bust talk for now.   

Edited by Big Blitz

1 minute ago, MJS said:

The players have to execute. The blame is on everyone, including Josh. Just like the credit for success falls on everyone. When we win, it isn't only because of the players. When we lose it isn't only because of McDermott. They all play their part.

I didn't see anything in that game that points me to believe that there was some epic coaching failure. The Bills got beat by injuries, heat exhaustion, and failures of execution (which does fall on the players, because clearly the coaches did their jobs and the players didn't execute).

The only thing I fault for the coaches is playing Moss too much. But that is a game where you need all of your depth because of the extreme conditions, so if there is ever a game where Moss is going to share the load, that was the one.

We had issues in BOTH end of halves with time management.  That's on the coaches.  Allen had 90 seconds to get the ball 45 yards and couldn't get it done.  That's on him as well.  They were 2 of 4 in goal to go drives, that's on the team.  But I do believe coach Cowher has a point when he says the coaching is doing something wrong when it comes to figuring out how to run the ball.  Moss, Singletary, and Cook are all high draft choices.  None of them (besides the Moss 43 yard run) are able to run the ball effectively.  That's 100% on the coaching and the inability to scheme up run plays to getting these guys space.

12 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

Cowherd is an idiot, because he's an idiot.

Yesterday wasn't about the coaches' clock management.  We drove down to the 1 yard line and had three plays to win.  It was about execution.  Say what you will about the 2nd down call (and we've debated the need to run plays out of shotgun due to Mancz being in there), but Josh has a short throw to an open receiver on 4th down.  A play he makes 95% of the time.  Can't fault the coaches for Josh turfing it there or Quessenberry taking a holding penalty to take us out of FG range in the final possession.  Yesterday was about a lack of player execution in key moments.  It wasn't about coaching decision making. 

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I’ve made the Cam comparison numerous times and agree.

However, Dorsey has decidedly used him less on designed runs than Daboll.   Although, I do think we need to create a better rushing attack.
   Yesterday was a flukey day. It happens. 

Flukey for sure. 

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

I'm a big McD guy and have been since the team celebrated that huge first down catch vs the Raiders by I think it was Holmes?

My initial reactions after 13 seconds, while needing 24 hours to cool off (that he should have been fired you don't recover from a loss like this - you don't lose like this) - but that thought is still in the back of my mind and until we win a SB hangs over his legacy.  I hate it because he's transform this franchise.  But it's still a business.  And it's a cruel one at times.  

Just knowing if this goes south and say this coaching job opens up, it will be the premier destination for any head coach like Payton - and thats a bit comforting honestly.  That hasn't been the case here ever.  

Now it won't be open any time soon either and I'm not saying his job is on the line.  

But Andy Reid was never "under fire" for losses like we've had the last 2 seasons while he's had peak Mahomes and a much worse defense.  

Standards are up everywhere here and that includes the coaching. 

I think we need to show much more calm and poise in the close big games then we've been. 

And I'd like to see us talk about the playoffs and division and chill out with the SB or bust talk for now.   

It's just a Trumaine Edmunds situation. McDermott's haters watch the games with hyper focus, looking for any tiny thing that they can point to to continue to build their case against McDermott. Even if McDermott is perfect in every way, they will still point to execution errors by the players to blame McDermott. If we win by 30 it is because of Josh Allen, Leslie Frazier, and Ken Dorsey. It is never because of McDermott. They hate him, and they will never give him any credit, only blame.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.