Cowherd killing Bills coaching in his monologue

zow2

On 9/27/2022 at 1:18 AM, zow2 said:

In a nutshell,  

Bills have a defensive coach. Allen is being used like Cam in Carolina.

6 years in, No ability to run the ball unless it’s Allen.  

No ability to create offense outside of Allen.

This can’t last with Allen. He will age out overnight down the road like Cam or Big Ben.

Great knockout punch but Only the Texans are as bad as Buffalo in close games since beginning of last year.

Not a fluke, happens because QB is exhausted and gets sloppy at the end from being overused.

The thing about close games absolutely is a fluke.

The year before that they were terrific, 4-1, something like that.

It's statistically typical to have that number go up and down season to season by quite a bit. The sample size is so small that often happens.

On 9/27/2022 at 10:58 PM, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Outstanding is averaging 3.5 yds per carry on the yr facing light boxes 65% of the time? 

i hate how people want to blame just the Oline for the bad running back play without truly breaking it down our backs are slow and can’t threaten the outside with consistency which makes life miserable on our Oline because the defense knows when we run most likely it’s between the tackles.  We need a back that can challenge be defense and make teams pay for these light 6 man fronts they employ against us at will. 

How light or heavy the boxes are isn't the issue. It's irrelevant. The question is how long it takes before the backs are hit.

Last year through the first 2/3rds of the year, they put up extremely low yards before contact figures. Then when Bates was put in and the line came together the same backs abruptly changed to some of the league's better figures for the same stat. The problem wasn't the RBs.

And it still isn't.

As Joe B. put it after his all-22 study this week:

"The Bills did away with their ground game up until garbage time in Week 2 against the Titans, and the initial inclination is to blame the running backs. But when you analyze the full scope of the ground game against the Dolphins, Devin Singletary, Zack Moss and James Cook really didn’t stand a chance.

"The key focus is on yards before contact. The Bills had one breakout play when Moss busted off a 43-yard run where he was untouched until driven out of bounds. It’s a great run, but it’s like hosting a party and keeping everyone confined to one spotless room when the rest of the house is in complete shambles. On the other 13 carries combined, the three Bills running backs had a total of one yard before contact. That’s an average runway of 0.08 yards before contact per rush. The backs were set up to fail. To advance the point, here is a look at each of the 14 running plays involving the running backs and how they all broke down."

https://theathletic.com/3638288/2022/09/28/bills-all-22-film-review-dolphins/

Edited by Thurman#1

He's leading the NFL in passing yards? Cam never lead the league in passing yards and Josh isn't throwing to himself. I sort of get the point because some of the talent hasn't blossomed yet unfortunately and Gabe has been hurt, but it's not the same situation at all and clearly people are helping Josh. What a half baked take

I'm still not worried about our backs who were running behind nothing last week. And Moss still popped a 43 yarder. I'm good with one of those once or twice a game as long as they can pass block well. It's one of the weirder timeshare situations in the NFL, I get it, but if they actually had a healthy line to run behind one of them would likely do something per game, as they often do.

I used to listen to Cowherd when I had long commutes and even then it was painful, it's been downhill ever since. And I know he's been hyping the Bills for some time now, but even a lot of that has come across as uninformed sound byte laden attempts to appeal to a very large and growing fanbase. Not a fan.

Edited by Nelius

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

How light or heavy the boxes are isn't the issue. It's irrelevant. The question is how long it takes before the backs are hit.

Last year through the first 2/3rds of the year, they put up extremely low yards before contact figures. Then when Bates was put in and the line came together the same backs abruptly changed to some of the league's better figures for the same stat. The problem wasn't the RBs.

And it still isn't.

As Joe B. put it after his all-22 study this week:

"The Bills did away with their ground game up until garbage time in Week 2 against the Titans, and the initial inclination is to blame the running backs. But when you analyze the full scope of the ground game against the Dolphins, Devin Singletary, Zack Moss and James Cook really didn’t stand a chance.

"The key focus is on yards before contact. The Bills had one breakout play when Moss busted off a 43-yard run where he was untouched until driven out of bounds. It’s a great run, but it’s like hosting a party and keeping everyone confined to one spotless room when the rest of the house is in complete shambles. On the other 13 carries combined, the three Bills running backs had a total of one yard before contact. That’s an average runway of 0.08 yards before contact per rush. The backs were set up to fail. To advance the point, here is a look at each of the 14 running plays involving the running backs and how they all broke down."

https://theathletic.com/3638288/2022/09/28/bills-all-22-film-review-dolphins/

Stats can be deceiving I know what I see and it’s a running back room that really isn’t talented enough for defenses to truly respect them. When all your really good at is running between the tackles it’s gonna make it hard on your Oline to block. Everyone just wants to blame the Oline and use fancy stats in doing so but there’s way more to the equation then just stats . If the Bills can make a trade for an elite back like Barkley or Hunt u will see the difference it would have on this team . Especially in the playoffs even games get tight and the weather can be awful. 

3 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Stats can be deceiving I know what I see and it’s a running back room that really isn’t talented enough for defenses to truly respect them. When all your really good at is running between the tackles it’s gonna make it hard on your Oline to block. Everyone just wants to blame the Oline and use fancy stats in doing so but there’s way more to the equation then just stats . If the Bills can make a trade for an elite back like Barkley or Hunt u will see the difference it would have on this team . Especially in the playoffs even games get tight and the weather can be awful. 

Barkley had sub 4 ypc last year with trash oline.  Their LG, C, RG, and RT were all replaced and now he looks good again.

Having a bell cow running back doesn't do anything for your offense other than add fantasy value.  I'm not a huge moss fan, but to act like the offensive line is performing well is simply untrue.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Barkley had sub 4 ypc last year with trash oline.  Their LG, C, RG, and RT were all replaced and now he looks good again.

Having a bell cow running back doesn't do anything for your offense other than add fantasy value.  I'm not a huge moss fan, but to act like the offensive line is performing well is simply untrue.  

Barkley was coming off a major knee surgery and wasn’t himself the line they have now is adequate at best . I’m surprised u didn’t also mention the All Pro QB and Wrs the Giants have oh yeah I forgot they don’t have one.

10 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Barkley was coming off a major knee surgery and wasn’t himself the line they have now is adequate at best . I’m surprised u didn’t also mention the All Pro QB and Wrs the Giants have oh yeah I forgot they don’t have one.

2021: Jonathan taylor led the league in rushing, and Chubb was 2nd.  Their QBs were Wentz and Mayfield.  Their Leading WRs were Pittman and Peoples-Jones.  

It got merged into another thread and got lost in the pages but Mike Florio made some interesting comments about McDermott too.

He compared McDermott to John Fox in Denver.

John Fox had a great record in Denver. 12-4 or 13-3 every year. Yet they fired him because he couldn’t take the team over the hump.

So they fire him (after a 12-4 season) and hire Kubiak. Then Kubiak wins a Super Bowl in his first year.

Sometimes a change of coach is what you need. Not saying the Bills are there yet, but there is certainly precedent for it.

On 9/28/2022 at 5:53 AM, timekills17 said:

This was answered by both Josh after the game and McDermott later.

The gist of it was Allen was concerned that the referees would see it as either a fumble or at best call it grounding. The rules allowing a spike are specific and that play would normally be an "intentional grounding". So JA17 made a snap decision to try and get something out of it rather than risk a loss of down and 10 second runoff of clock.

McDermott later said that he thinks the referees would have had some leniency and recognized it wasn't an intentional try to fake spike and then actually spike - but I'm not sure JA17 isn't right in his assessment.

Either way, it was *intended* to be a spike to stop the clock.

Thanks for the info.

In another game this past weekend I witnessed something I’d seen before regarding a 10 second runoff.  Reviews in the last 2 minutes are from the replay center and not called by a team.  They reviewed a close play and afterwards did a 10 second runoff.  Why should any team be penalized with this runoff when neither asked for the replay review?  The ref says “By rule…”.   Well, they definitely need to change the rule.

I remember this happened to the Bills in a game a couple years ago, where they were near the goal line and there was stoppage for a review to see if they scored with less than 10 seconds left in the half.  Had there been no replay, they could’ve run another play and maybe scored.  The refs said replay confirmed the Bills didn’t score and “by rule we have a 10 second runoff.  The half is over.”  How dumb was that?!

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Einstein said:

It got merged into another thread and got lost in the pages but Mike Florio made some interesting comments about McDermott too.

He compared McDermott to John Fox in Denver.

John Fox had a great record in Denver. 12-4 or 13-3 every year. Yet they fired him because he couldn’t take the team over the hump.

So they fire him (after a 12-4 season) and hire Kubiak. Then Kubiak wins a Super Bowl in his first year.

Sometimes a change of coach is what you need. Not saying the Bills are there yet, but there is certainly precedent for it.

The Broncos needed more than a change of coach. They needed a whole lorry load of luck. The Denver team that went to the Superbowl under Fox and lost to Seattle would have boat raced the Denver team that won a Superbowl against Carolina under Kubiak. That is the worst team to have won a Lombardi in my time watching the NFL. 

I get it, winning is all that counts, but Denver haven't played a playoff game since the confetti fell on their heads. They were not better in 2015 than in 2013. They were just luckier and the evidence is they have been a complete afterthought ever since. 

Coaching wasn’t the issue. Lack of execution on the offense was. Yeah, we had the one bad 3-22 play call, so what? 

The reality is that the coaches put the players in a position to win this game 5-6 times and the offense/ST failed to execute every single time. Make one of those plays and we win the game.

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Coaching wasn’t the issue. Lack of execution on the offense was. Yeah, we had the one bad 3-22 play call, so what? 

The reality is that the coaches put the players in a position to win this game 5-6 times and the offense/ST failed to execute every single time. Make one of those plays and we win the game.

So  it's the players fault?  Sorry 13 seconds is 100% on the coaching schemes and calls (from kickoff to the two passes, where there was no defence to even make a play).   

On 9/28/2022 at 12:05 PM, TwistofFate said:

And the common response to this is....everyone has injuries, it's no excuse. 

We legit faced Miami with half a team as injuries got even worse during the course of the game.

The missing part of all this as Ive been in training for a new company all week away from home is that we still mathematically destroyed them statistically even though the score was off by two.  Instead of dissecting everything in terms of coaching, play calling, this play or that play, how about our team went down to the wire controlling the clock, 500 vs. 200 yards with half a team.

it sucks as it was the fish, but they will get annihilated in OP in December.

I’m as concerned as all of you  about the injuries.  I know McD will find a way.  Baltimore is as banged up as us so we’ll see about Sunday.  Thankfully we have a breather next week with the Steelers as they are horrible.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

he wasn't talking about 13 seconds

Oops my bad......  

Yes everything that could go wrong, did go wrong Sunday....  One of those games, but yes the randomness and the fact it has happened over and over to the Bills the past 2.5 years is hard to comprehend.

One other thing to note is that in many of these close losses the Bills have lost games when inside the 10 yard line and not able to score.  This to me appears a coaching/play calling issue (can say the same about the Chargers and they fired their coach probably for that reason). 

21 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Oops my bad......  

Yes everything that could go wrong, did go wrong Sunday....  One of those games, but yes the randomness and the fact it has happened over and over to the Bills the past 2.5 years is hard to comprehend.

One other thing to note is that in many of these close losses the Bills have lost games when inside the 10 yard line and not able to score.  This to me appears a coaching/play calling issue (can say the same about the Chargers and they fired their coach probably for that reason). 

I listed it in another thread though - Tennessee, Jacksonville, New England, Miami.... the common theme in all those "couldn't score at the end" losses is major blown plays by the offensive line. The one defeat (other than KC which everyone knows was mostly coaching) that doesn't fit into that category is Tampa where I know Diggs got held and there should have been a flag but the playcall at the end of throwing a fade to the corner of the endzone on 3rd down was a poor coaching decision IMO. Obviously we then lost on an awful defensive blitz call in overtime too but a touchdown would have won it in regulation. 

I think the single biggest factor in most of our defeats in close games since the start of last year has been bad offensive line play. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I listed it in another thread though - Tennessee, Jacksonville, New England, Miami.... the common theme in all those "couldn't score at the end" losses is major blown plays by the offensive line. The one defeat (other than KC which everyone knows was mostly coaching) that doesn't fit into that category is Tampa where I know Diggs got held and there should have been a flag but the playcall at the end of throwing a fade to the corner of the endzone on 3rd down was a poor coaching decision IMO. Obviously we then lost on an awful defensive blitz call in overtime too but a touchdown would have won it in regulation. 

I think the single biggest factor in most of our defeats in close games since the start of last year has been bad offensive line play. 

But to be in the redzone and continually foiled in late game situations has to be addressed.  

And the last time we won a game inside the 10, was on the PI/Holding call (correct) vs. the Rams, which was a Tom Brady(esque) call.....😉

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.