Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

You're really oversimplifying winning games in the NFL.     You're also suggesting firing our current head coach, and bringing in another coach who has an almost identical career win percentage, has a lower percentage of playoff appearances vs years active, and has flamed out in the playoffs 9 out of 10 years he made it.  All this despite having a top ten all time Quarterback for most of those years.

Its easy to be short sighted after a loss but McDermott has been a fine coach for the BIlls.  

He is not going to be fired anytime soon. Truth be told he shouldn’t be fired, but as the head coach he deserves some criticism. 

• Like (+1) 1

There was no reason for Josh to throw that OT INT.  If it was the last play of the game OK try to make a play but come on there was a minute left and we had two time outs.  IF it came down to 4th down kick a FG and take a tie at least...  Horrible decisions (6 INTs) the last 11 quarters.  Just awful.  He has to be better than that.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

He is not going to be fired anytime soon. Truth be told he shouldn’t be fired, but as the head coach he deserves some criticism. 

I dont disagree there.  I honestly think bad coaching probably wasted our best shot at winning a Super Bowl last year, that team was better than this team.   However, hes proven to be a good coach overall and when he is fired, as eventually they all are, he'll probably have another job waiting for him.

• Like (+1) 1

Need a new coach on Bills shopping list. McDonalds way too stale. Repetitive disastrous losses leave me a beggar to fire McDonalds.  I am begging Kim and Terry Pegula on my knees to please get rid of that Gillian.  You can't preside over all these laughing stock losses after they fought so hard and think you're not the problem.  He's just not a winner.  His God hates him as a matter of fact. Tell me He doesn't?  I have never seen a team as cursed as this.. Joe Pisarcik was just released from Hell thanks to that fumble in the end zone. It's hard enduring being the laughingstock of the NFL and blowing games like that will get you there in first class seating.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Really? I swear McDermott has said that exact same thing like 4 or 5 other times since becoming HC.

"You can't turn the ball over like that" is extremely standard coach speak.

Settle the F down.  You like to run your mouth bro.  The coaching has not been top notch in the slightest.  McDermott looks miserable on the sideline.  The pressure is getting to him bigtime.  He doesn't look confident in the slightest out there.  If your leader isn't confident, how are the troops going to play that are supposed to be following him.  Josh Allen is the Bills.  He should be here long after McDermott and Frazier.  Regardless of his mistakes, noone makes plays at the QB position like him.  

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

You're really oversimplifying winning games in the NFL.     You're also suggesting firing our current head coach, and bringing in another coach who has an almost identical career win percentage, has a lower percentage of playoff appearances vs years active, and has flamed out in the playoffs 9 out of 10 years he made it.  All this despite having a top ten all time Quarterback for most of those years.

Its easy to be short sighted after a loss but McDermott has been a fine coach for the BIlls.  

How is seeing a pattern of these kinds of losses oversimplifying “winning in the NFL”.  Is there a more tired platitude than, “it tough to win in the NFL”?  

How is 3 years of underachievement in 3 straight playoffs and the way we’re losing games this year short sighted”?  If anything 3 years is quite the sample set.  What happened at the end of the Houston game 3 years ago?  Did we even show up for the AFCG vs the Chiefs?  

13 seconds?  Now let’s do this year.  The pattern is clear as day.  He’s Andy Reid with the Eagles.  Very good coach with an unbelievable knack for one side of the ball.  But ultimately a coach who will underachieve in big spots with the better team.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Coaching. 
—Team has made playoffs multi year. 
—beane got the 53 players.

—got to medal round but can’t win close, situational football where coaching makes the difference. 

if anyone thinks Belleacheat wouldn’t kill it with this roster, please speak up. 

Edited by Since1981
  • Agree 1

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

The problem is he’s basically unfireable unless they flame out for the next three years.  Ownership is weak and has zero track records.  In many ways McDermott has more power, albeit less authority, than Terry.

I don’t think he has any power.  I think Beane does and the only fault I can see Beane having is that he’s a little too loyal sometimes.  Not a bad thing in life but according to Bill Walsh and the coach with the most SBs in NFL history,  it will could cost you championships.  So unfortunately I think you’re right he won’t be fired unless there’s something behind the scenes that we are unaware of.   

• Like (+1) 1

If you watch KC they do a million things to get those quick, real easy 5-15 yard gains by design...That's how you help a great QB...When it's time to go deep you've carved them up with nickel and dime stuff...Makes it much easier. The Bills have struggled with this for a while now...Whether it's running, screens, short passes...It's always a mixed bag...And to top it off they lost their 3rd down security blanket in Beasley...

That's a Coaching issue, and McD has to be held responsible for it because it's the most obvious way to help Josh and keep him focused-in down to down. B-)

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

It’s not something he can learn by his coach saying to cut out turnovers.

It’s not like he intended to severely underthrow Davis. Or throw it directly to a defender.

A few years ago he had 3 interceptions against New England, probably his second year. He realized how much that hurt the team. He really cleaned up his act since then and has been pretty good up until these last few games. Good decision making absolutely can be worked on, understanding the situation and the risk you should be willing to take. On second down you don’t force the ball into Tripple coverage whether he meant to throw an interception or not it was not a good decision, especially since he had the option to run or throw it to Singletary. Both of those decisions probably get us a first down.  The coach should be reviewing his decision making and reinforcing when and when not to take unnecessary risks.

40 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

"With McDermott’s Bills, they learn tough lessons, vow to fix it and be better, and then continue to make the same mistakes over and over in close games. Rinse, repeat."

Saw this on twitter and couldnt agree more...

That should honestly be read to the team/staff and then answered by them.

Its sad how accurate that statement is.  

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

"With McDermott’s Bills, they learn tough lessons, vow to fix it and be better, and then continue to make the same mistakes over and over in close games. Rinse, repeat."

Saw this on twitter and couldnt agree more...

Perfectly said.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.