Jump to content

Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme


Einstein

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, ChrisWatson#21 said:

I thought the decision to go for it on fourth down at midfield early in the second half down only one score was terrible and it won't get talked about much given how the game played out.

 

That was a desperation move.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

51 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Genuinely curious if you folks still disagree that poor coaching has become a theme, or if you still believe it is not a concern?

 

I think at the moment coaching is a problem. I don't think McDermott is doing a good job as DC. I don't think Dorsey is doing a good job as OC. And the mistake at the end of that game tonight is inexcusable and comes down to coaching (I actually think McDermott being the DC has made him a poorer gameday Head Coach). 

 

That doesn't mean I will re-litigate people trying to find issues where I genuinely don't think the existed previously. I won't. I didn't think you were right then. I still don't think you were right then. But coaching has been a much bigger issue this year. 

 

And now... the caveat.... it isn't the biggest issue on this team. The Quarterback has regressed, the offensive talent around him still isn't good enough (despite the fact I like both Cook and Kincaid) and they are beaten up on defense.

 

But I make tonight and New England two games this year where major coaching blunders have probably cost us wins. And that is the difference between being 7-3 and 5-5. 

 

Personally I'd blow it up after the season at this point. The front office, the coaching staff and the roster. They have to try anything they can to reset Josh Allen. But I seriously fear there are demons in Josh's head that go beyond the Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator of the Buffalo Bills. You just gotta hope that new voices, new ideas can inject a bit of spark back into him and the team. 

 

McDermott had a chance after the New England game IMO to give up playcalling and concentrate on saving the season. He didn't do it.

  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GunnerBill said:

And now... the caveat.... it isn't the biggest issue on this team. The Quarterback has regressed

 

Personally I'd blow it up after the season at this point. The front office, the coaching staff and the roster. They have to try anything they can to reset Josh Allen. 

 

I 100% agree with you. Though one potential difference of opinion is that I think much of Allen’s regression is coaching related.

 

We don’t see true Josh Allen anymore. Where has that fire gone? Where are the hurdles and trash talk and angry first down signaling?


It coincidentally vanished when Daboll left…

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

 

I think at the moment coaching is a problem. I don't think McDermott is doing a good job as DC. I don't think Dorsey is doing a good job as OC. And the mistake at the end of that game tonight is inexcusable and comes down to coaching (I actually think McDermott being the DC has made him a poorer gameday Head Coach). 

 

That doesn't mean I will re-litigate people trying to find issues where I genuinely don't think the existed previously. I won't. I didn't think you were right then. I still don't think you were right then. But coaching has been a much bigger issue this year. 

 

And now... the caveat.... it isn't the biggest issue on this team. The Quarterback has regressed, the offensive talent around him still isn't good enough (despite the fact I like both Cook and Kincaid) and they are beaten up on defense.

 

But I make tonight and New England two games this year where major coaching blunders have probably cost us wins. And that is the difference between being 7-3 and 5-5. 

 

Personally I'd blow it up after the season at this point. The front office, the coaching staff and the roster. They have to try anything they can to reset Josh Allen. But I seriously fear there are demons in Josh's head that go beyond the Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator of the Buffalo Bills. You just gotta hope that new voices, new ideas can inject a bit of spark back into him and the team. 

 

McDermott had a chance after the New England game IMO to give up playcalling and concentrate on saving the season. He didn't do it.

they took away him running and asked him to be a dink and dunker and still have no answer for when teams drop and go into a shell  I though the plan was to switch to heavy run and force defenses to play the Bills honest but Dorsey never adapts   Now the guy is losing confidence  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

 

I 100% agree with you. Though one potential difference of opinion is that I think much of Allen’s regression is coaching related.

 

We don’t see true Josh Allen anymore. Where has that fire gone? Where are the hurdles and trash talk and angry first down signaling?


It coincidentally vanished when Daboll left…

 

Yea I don't. I am not even sure it is football related. I think it is Josh Allen related. I hope, sincerely, I am wrong and that they can re-boot him with new energy and voice around him. But his behaviour all season has been odd to say the least. His press conferences and his body language actually concern me as much if not more than his play. 

 

I agree that Josh Allen has disappeared. But I don't think it is because the coaches have told him to stop being that guy. I don't think he is able to be that guy anymore because he can't get himself into that head space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Einstein said:

 

 

 

 

 

Genuinely curious if you folks still disagree that poor coaching has become a theme, or if you still believe it is not a concern?

The coaching has been poor in all phases of the game.  Last night was an example of it - every phase of the game failed and had questionable game management.    Worse, they players seem to be disengaged, especially Allen.   No spirit, no fun, no fire.  A sure sign that the coaches have lost the players.  

 

You McD haters are probably going to get your big day.  I expect changes will come.  

 

I follow the Sabres very closely, so be forewarned that Pegula is not good at this hiring and firing thing.  He lucked out with McD and he got help from the league resources.  McD is the guy who got Breane.  

 

Since they both report to Terry, who fires the coach?  Pegula right?   What happens to Beane?  

 

I shudder at the thought of Pegula hiring another coach and GM.  He should hold on to Beane and let him hire the coach and make the coach report to Beane.   But maybe Beane wants out if McD gets the axe? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

The coaching has been poor in all phases of the game.  Last night was an example of it - every phase of the game failed and had questionable game management.    Worse, they players seem to be disengaged, especially Allen.   No spirit, no fun, no fire.  A sure sign that the coaches have lost the players.  

 

You McD haters are probably going to get your big day.  I expect changes will come.  

 

I follow the Sabres very closely, so be forewarned that Pegula is not good at this hiring and firing thing.  He lucked out with McD and he got help from the league resources.  McD is the guy who got Breane.  

 

Since they both report to Terry, who fires the coach?  Pegula right?   What happens to Beane?  

 

I shudder at the thought of Pegula hiring another coach and GM.  He should hold on to Beane and let him hire the coach and make the coach report to Beane.   But maybe Beane wants out if McD gets the axe? 

 

Why would Beane want out? It would be business as usual, and he would be the one leading the search for the next HC. Coaches and GM's get hired and fired all the time in sports. I doubt Beane would want out if McDermott got fired. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Einstein said:

 

Genuinely curious if you folks still disagree that poor coaching has become a theme, or if you still believe it is not a concern?

You dredge up a 14 month old thread, quote my post in that thread that has nothing to do with your point about coaching in that thread, and now want to cite me for a comment on coaching? I have even less respect for your sorry, insecure self than before. 

Edited by K-9
  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...