Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

5 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Josh is wasting himself. The coaches cannot be blamed for the inexplicable decision making over the past three weeks. They are plays you wouldn’t expect a rookie to continually make, let alone someone with Josh’s ability.

No doubt his vision right now is horrible. Right now, I'd rather see him run then pass. When he passes I am holding my breath. Reminds me of his rookie years no doubt. 

4 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

I don’t think it would be smart to, nor do I think anyone is calling for, firing McDermott this season. However, Some fans have had these concerns since his first season. 

Well said.

I had these concerns even as we were racking up wins. Poor coaching decisions were happening even in blowout games, but they were overshadowed by the fact that our roster was so much better than the opponent, so it didn’t matter.

The problem with ignoring those poor coaching decisions during wins is that you will eventually face teams that have a roster that is closer in talent to yours than the teams you beat. In those games, coaching matters. A lot. 

From dropping linebackers too far back on 3rd and 18 against Houston in OT in the playoffs, to keeping Phillips and Liuget on the field (our two worst run stoppers at the time) as the Texans ran over and over and over again in that second half drive. To even calling a run play with 30 seconds left in the first half, at the 23 yard line, with no timeouts, instead of going for the endzone (what!?).

To not having your secondary coached to knock the ball down in the Fail Murray in Arizona, and then two years later to not have your secondary (or at least Cam Lewis) know to knock the ball down on 4th and 18 instead of trying to intercept it. Then there was the MNF game where Belichick outcoached McDermott in every facet, including McDermott wasting a needed timeout on a ball spot (those almost never work). And all the way to the famous example of not squibb kicking against KC and playing 15 yards off Kelce and not defending the middle of the field.

And all those times over the years where McDermott would be thinking about challenging a play so he called timeout first. Why!? Just throw the challenge flag! You potentially lose a timeout either way! I haven’t seen him do that this year, which is nice. Maybe he learned.

There are just so so so many examples of places where we flat out would have several more wins if coaching was better. 

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Give a few of those coaches this 2022 roster and I think we’d all be singing a different tune  about them.

Marrone was a jerk but he went 9-7 with a significantly worse roster than we have now. Same with Mularkey, and even though I have no faith we would do anything once we got there, I have no doubt Rex Ryan at least makes the playoffs with this roster.

McDermott has All-Pro’s and Pro Bowlers all over his roster. The coaches from the drought  had to watch as Brian Mooreman was considered our best player year after year.

I mean, McDermott went 9-7 with a pretty bad roster in 2017. I'd argue that that  2017 roster was on par with Marrone's 2014 roster. 

I find it interesting that a lot of fans default to the assumption that players become all-pro's, pro bowlers, etc. because they are automatically good players. I believe that it's more likely that players become all-pros and pro bowlers due to a combination of their natural abilities, coaching, and the system that they play — with the latter two having a significant impact. Would Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde be All-Pros if they never signed with the Bills and played under McDermott? What about Matt Milano? Would he be a top 5 off-ball Linebacker without the coaching he received in Buffalo? 

These are rhetorical questions. But I don't think it's as simple as saying McDermott is wasting all-world talent. I think it's fair to say that McDermott and his system are a big reason why we have pro-bowlers and all-pro caliber players to begin with. 

12 hours ago, Einstein said:

Reid has taken 3 seperate QB’s to the Championship game.

Thats an insane feat.

He has also been to 7 Championship games.

Are you talking Conference championship games or SB wins? I thought winning the SB was the goal. So, you'll be happy with 1 SB win 21 years into McDermott's coaching career (like Reid)? And that 1 SB win entering his 24th year (like Reid)? Cool. Ripping McD by comparing him to Reid is a reach. An 18 year reach. But, hey, you do you.

54 minutes ago, MPL said:

I mean, McDermott went 9-7 with a pretty bad roster in 2017. I'd argue that that  2017 roster was on par with Marrone's 2014 roster. 

I find it interesting that a lot of fans default to the assumption that players become all-pro's, pro bowlers, etc. because they are automatically good players. I believe that it's more likely that players become all-pros and pro bowlers due to a combination of their natural abilities, coaching, and the system that they play — with the latter two having a significant impact. Would Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde be All-Pros if they never signed with the Bills and played under McDermott? What about Matt Milano? Would he be a top 5 off-ball Linebacker without the coaching he received in Buffalo? 

These are rhetorical questions. But I don't think it's as simple as saying McDermott is wasting all-world talent. I think it's fair to say that McDermott and his system are a big reason why we have pro-bowlers and all-pro caliber players to begin with. 

The 2014 roster was better than the 2017 roster IMO. And not even close. Safety and maybe offensive line might be an advantage 2017 but every other unit would be 2014. 

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Give a few of those coaches this 2022 roster and I think we’d all be singing a different tune  about them.

Marrone was a jerk but he went 9-7 with a significantly worse roster than we have now. Same with Mularkey, and even though I have no faith we would do anything once we got there, I have no doubt Rex Ryan at least makes the playoffs with this roster.

McDermott has All-Pro’s and Pro Bowlers all over his roster. The coaches from the drought  had to watch as Brian Mooreman was considered our best player year after year.

Talent was lacking for sure but would you trust "Skeletor" Jauron with this roster?

• 11 months later...

Every year, he makes a scapegoat of one of his coordinators or assistants. But the one constant is McDermott and the results continue to speak for themselves. And at this point, he's lost the locker room. Diggs is a loose cannon, Allen's confidence is shot at this point. The defense is absolutely atrocious. It's about time to move on from this staff, way too much talent on this roster for these performances to continue. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 5:52 PM, mead107 said:

I’m not on board with that. 

On 9/25/2022 at 5:52 PM, GunnerBill said:

Nonsense.

On 9/25/2022 at 5:54 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

3rd string center

3rd string guard

2nd string RT

5th string CB

Back up CB

Diggs had to come off the field every other play in the 4th.

McKenzie had to go out multiple times.

Second string SS

Second string FS

Back up DT

2 practice squad DT called up.

Kumerow who has played decently also leaves with an injury.

100 degree heat index and no shade.

Thats what we dealt with today.

On 9/25/2022 at 6:00 PM, Bob in STL said:

You are looking for one person to blame, huh? 

On 9/25/2022 at 6:01 PM, K-9 said:

You should have stopped before posting this because now you’re just embarrassing yourself. 

Genuinely curious if you folks still disagree that poor coaching has become a theme, or if you still believe it is not a concern?

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Genuinely curious if you folks still disagree that poor coaching has become a theme, or if you still believe it is not a concern?

Don’t expect them to tell you the Kool-Aid doesn’t taste good. They likely chug it no matter what. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

It has regressed.  It’s coaching and its execution and Allen.  4 turnovers is on the players.  

The team is lost now and changes need to be made.  Dorsey sounds like he’s going to be fired.

Bumping a more than year old post after a 13 season win?  Okay.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It has regressed.  It’s coaching and its execution and Allen. 

I think there are a few posters who were able to see the subtle nuances of our play, despite the wins, that indicated poor coaching themes.

Themes that we felt would at some point avalanche into worse and worse problems.

And there were posters who were unable to see these themes, blinded by the “Bills Win” on the scoreboard at the end of the game.

Just my opinion.

• Disagree 2

5 minutes ago, wppete said:

McDermott isn’t a head coach. Arguably he shouldn’t even be a DC.

I think he is a decent DC. The defense has played well enough to win every game this year. But how do you go back from being a HC/ DC? Doesn’t seem like a good position to be in. Maybe Frazier really is coming back next year 😳

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I think there are a few posters who were able to see the subtle nuances of our play, despite the wins, that indicated poor coaching themes.

Themes that we felt would at some point avalanche into worse and worse problems.

And there were posters who were unable to see these themes, blinded by the “Bills Win” on the scoreboard at the end of the game.

Just my opinion.

These themes?  Is this you trying to fight back or something?

This post was created after the Dolphins loss when if Allen just hits McKenzie, who was wide open and its a different “theme.”  

We weren’t all “blinded” lol.  I have clearly stated the offense has been clunky under Dorsey these last two years with only a few great games.  Still blinded?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.