It's Miami Week...Squish The Fish!!!!!

eball

This will be an interesting game.

It will either validate the dolphins are for real or pretenders.  And it will either continue to show how strong the Bills are or they will be brought back down to earth.

Regardless, I am looking forward to making Tua look bad again after the outlier 4th Quarter performance.  

1 hour ago, eball said:

So, in other words, Tua is not Fitz at all.

You don’t get it. They’re exactly alike but different in every way. 

3 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

It will either validate the dolphins are for real or pretenders.  And it will either continue to show how strong the Bills are or they will be brought back down to earth.

Regardless, I am looking forward to making Tua look bad again after the outlier 4th Quarter performance.  

Losing to us doesn’t make you a pretender.

The further I go into mental prep for this Sunday I've decided that it's not Tua that I am afraid of. It's his targets. Gisecki and Hill and Waddle are a formidable groups. Gisecki can keep chains moving while Hill and Waddle are explosive threats every time they touch the ball. And this is with our top 2 CBs (White and Jackson) out for injury, meaning that we are going to need to lean heavily on the rookies. 

I foresee a lot of two high safety, keeping everything in front of us. Make Tua grind it out against what is looking like a dominant pass rush.

1 hour ago, Reks Ryan said:

I only wasted 10 minutes.  Boy that made me hate the fish even more.  They accused Bills Mafia of being bandwagon fans now that Bills are good.

That alone reveals them to have the football acumen of a Starfruit

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/why-the-buffalo-bills-wanted-marv-levy-right-here-right-now/article_0ff75adc-391c-11ed-98b4-f3a447d236aa.html

After the anthem, just minutes before kickoff against the Tennessee Titans, fellow Hall of Famer Kelly took the microphone and led the crowd in a rousing chant and response of “Hey-ay-ay-ay” and “Let’s go, Buffalo!” from the team’s “Shout!” theme song.

Then Levy, wearing a blue Bills sweater, walked up behind Kelly, who handed his coach the microphone.

“To the greatest fans in football,” Levy said to the crowd of 60,000-plus, “I’d like to say to you, before the game, what I said to our players before every game.”

The crowd, already erupting, boomed.

“To a level I’ve never heard before,” said Jason Tartick, a Williamsville native and former contestant on “The Bachelorette” who now lives in Nashville, Tenn., and works as a business author and podcast host. Tartick attended the game with some friends from Tennessee.

Levy continued: “Where else would you rather be than right here, right now?”

Tartick’s friends were “puzzled, perplexed, confused,” he said. “They're literally like, ‘Wait a second: Your fan base is so loyal that you guys are referencing a quote made by one of your coaches decades ago? And the whole place is repeating it as loud as they can?' ”

That's all them "Fin Fans" need to know about the longeivity of our fan-wagon

13 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

The Bills are a good football team with aspirations of greatness.

Losing to a great football team doesn't make you a pretender.

• Disagree 1

18 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

You don’t get it. They’re exactly alike but different in every way. 

Losing to us doesn’t make you a pretender.

Just make you like every other team in the NFL.  Losing to us by less than 10 points is like a badge of honor right now. 

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That alone reveals them to have the football acumen of a Starfruit

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/why-the-buffalo-bills-wanted-marv-levy-right-here-right-now/article_0ff75adc-391c-11ed-98b4-f3a447d236aa.html

That's all them "Fin Fans" need to know about the longeivity of our fan-wagon

The Bills are a good football team with aspirations of greatness.

Losing to a great football team doesn't make you a pretender.

No, the Bills passed good a long time ago.  They are doing things many historically great teams never have done over several seasons now. This may be the greatest team never to win a Super Bowl in the history of the NFL by objective metrics and all of the records they are setting and breaking.

Edited by Big Turk

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Just make you like every other team in the NFL.  Losing to us by less than 10 points is like a badge of honor right now. 

Next 2 Dolphins banners, “Week 2 Champions 2022” and “Lost by less than double digits, Week 3 2022”

Hang ‘em high and proud

Edited by Bangarang
  • Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

There are two problems with this strategy.  One is named Jordan Phillips.  The other is named Ed Oliver.  They're both likely to show up on injury report this week.

Yea this is true and is more dependent on them being healthy. Saying that, we did see some nice pressure from Groot up the middle. They'll need to double Hill or Waddle, I'm just not sure I'd want to blitz and leave the possibility of them being one on one. I think you need to get creative with how you bring a 4-man pressure, which the Bills did in LA.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

13 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Edit:

Disregard, not trying to argue on this.  Agree to Disagree

Edited by CaliBills

The Fin Heaven boards are just crazy this week:

Fin fans at the half of the Ravens game: 

"Tua isn't the answer."

"Tua is not a starting NFL QB."

"Tua has not made any strides in the time he has been here. He is still making the same decisions and has the same issues he had as a rookie."

"I'm done with him...time to see what Bridgewater has,"

Fin fans post Ravens game:

"Tua is amazing!!"

"Tua is a franchise QB!"

"Tua is on the same level as Josh Allen and might even be better than him although I won't say that yet."

Comical. 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

But by the same token they did play a very good Baltimore offense. 

Really?  I still think it's relatively easy to stop if you have the right gameplan and can physically match up with them. Miami tried what worked last year and got smoked but never really adjusted. Baltimore hasn't looked good on offense against us in either game we played them, and I would doubt they will in the 3rd matchup either.

Edited by Big Turk

12 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Watching the Phins/Ravens replay right now is NOT making me rethink my criticisms of Tua's traits: his arm strength IS subpar and he IS small. He CAN spin it accurately within the short and intermediate areas, especially between the hashes. And he CAN scoot around a little more than he gets credit for. BUT if he cannot set his base and follow-through, he cannot push it downfield with any velocity.

I liked the last TD to Waddle, that took some moxy, but overall he looked like a plucky, lucky, kinda limp-armed little guy who got really hot against a collapsing defense.

So the thing is, right now the Miami offense looks custom-built to favor the traits Tua can excel at: decision making and throwing with accuracy and anticipation.  That's kind of a Mike Shanahan offense, right?  Wide zone runs seeking a vertical seam, high percentage intermediate throws set up by run misdirection, speedy WR who are both fast enough to get to a spot in the short/intermediate game before a pass rush can get home and break free for huge YAC and to burn the defense on deep routes.

And the thing is, most of the Shanahan disciples have had good success with this - McVay, Kyle Shanahan, etc.  What they need are the raw ingredients - a savvy QB who can make the reads and get the ball out with anticipation and accuracy, a running back or 2 who are fast enough to get to the edge and stretch the defense horizontally, and a couple of fast WR who are both dangerous after the catch in the short/intermediate passing game, and able to run the deep routes quickly.

Joe Montana could aptly have been described as a plucky, lucky, kinda limp armed little guy at one point.  He developed himself past that description, of course.

But anyway, Kyle Shanahan went to a SB and a conference championship with Jimmy Garappolo and McVay has a SB loss with Goff and a win with Stafford. 

All these guys have their own wrinkles, of course, and we don't have a lot of data yet on what McVay's wrinkles will be, but that's it at the core: it's an offense designed to help a plucky, lucky, relatively limp armed QB take advantage of (or slaughter) a defense and succeed.

A couple notable factors from the limited stats we have, in no particular order:

1) Mia RB are 30 year od vet Raheem Mostert and 26 year old vet Chas Edmonds.  Despite the historical roots of the Shanahan wide zone, the Fins have not been particularly successful in the run game.  Neither back has more than 100 yds, and the Fins have 65 and 86 yds rushing in their 2 games.  Hill, Waddle, and another WR also have runs.  This suggests to me (without breaking down their games on film) they are using a short passing game to the perimeter as part of their run game and to spread the field horizontally

2) If you look at the charts for Tua's passing, you confirm this:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/season/tua-tagovailoa/TAG620344/2022/1/pass

Patriots: all but 6 passes were within 15 yds of the LOS, and of those 6, 4 were incomplete.  But the completed passes are spread very evenly across the field, with completions somewhat favoring the L side.  5 passes at or behind the LOS.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/2022/tua-tagovailoa/TAG620344/2022/2/pass

Superficially this chart looks different with laser-light passing TDs all over the place, but underneath, it's similar: 8 passes beyond 15 yards.  Of those 8, 3 were incomplete (1 INT). Passes spread very evenly across the field.  8 passes behind the LOS.

3) Currently, 46% of Tua's passing yards are YAC.  Point is, you got fast WR who can make guys miss, you can run an effective passing game.  Shall we say "torched by his noodley appendage?"

4) It's kind of interesting to compare to Matt Stafford's week 1 chart

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/2022/matthew-stafford/STA134157/2022/1/pass

We see that all but 6 of Staffords 41 pass attempts were within 15 yds of the LOS (7th very close, a TD) and that 4 of those 6 (or 7) were incomplete with 1 INT.

Here's Tannehill, just for completeness:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/2022/ryan-tannehill/TAN298716/2022/2/pass

Bottom line, make no mistake that McDaniel is very likely running a variant of the Shanahan/McVay "wide zone" offense, and that teams can win with this offense.

And yeah, if you fall asleep he can throw deep and burn you.  But it can be shut down and limited too.  There's a reason the Rams have lost 7  of 11 games to the 49ers since 2017.  Shanahan takes one look at McVay's offense and says "I See You, and mine's better"

Oh, and BTW - Cover1 and others have pointed out that the Bills are having some success in the run game importing Shanahan/49ers run concepts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlWqsOvCwco

It's just possible McDaniel is well suited to recognize these concepts and shut them down.

PS without taking away from Tua, who played good games and did what he was asked to do - I think it remains to be determined if Tua has the mental and psychological makeup to be that Garappolo/Goff "we can win with him" guy.  It has to be emphasized again, that the Baltimore defense was #32 against the pass and #19 on points last season, and it isn't looking so far as though parting from Wink Martindale improved it.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.