LA Chargers @ KC Chiefs - TNF Game Thread

Simon

If you watch the play before the pick six, Everett makes a great catch and run to get the Chargers down into scoring position. He gets up and immediately motions to the bench that he needs to be taken out. The Chargers ignore his request and elect to go fast, thinking they have the Chiefs on their heels. Herbert makes the mistake of throwing to his exhausted (or possibly injured) receiver, who just stands there instead of making any sort of move/cut on his route, and when the ball is intercepted he continues to stand there with virtually no attempt to stop the defender…but instead fumbles for his mouthpiece which has popped out at the moment. So, what happened on that fateful play? Answer: the Chargers screwed up! Watching it live last night I couldn’t believe they didn’t sub Everett out. Dumb. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Why all this great hype on Mahomes from last night's game? He should've had 3 INTs and lost that game. 

Except the great Herbert and Co grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory.

San Diego Chargers are NOT who we think they are.

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Why all this great hype on Mahomes from last night's game? He should've had 3 INTs and lost that game. 

I mean, we could say the same about Allen and the Bills?  "Why all this great hype on Allen from last Thursday's game?  He HAD 2 INTs and the team fumbled twice.  They should have lost that game."

This entire game came down to 2 plays:

1. Asante Samuel Jr makes that INT and then Jeff Bezos radios down and says to change it so the first Amazon prime game is more interesting. Otherwise the game is over at that point.

2. Everett is tired and asking to come out but for whatever reason the Chargers run hurry up offense with a 1st and goal inside the 5 and plenty of time on the clock. He lazily runs his route and the throw is picked off and returned for 6.

KC didn't win that game, the Chargers lost it. A team that can't even make the playoffs can't win in the big moments. No surprise there

Edited by KDIGGZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I mean, we could say the same about Allen and the Bills?  "Why all this great hype on Allen from last Thursday's game?  He HAD 2 INTs and the team fumbled twice.  They should have lost that game."

No!! Bills dominated that game in every aspect. Offensive, defensive and special teams. Chargers lost last night because of a pick six. The Bills had 4 TOs and the Rams scored 7 points, if I remember correctly

pfft. even I the most cynical jaded scoffer at the  entire LA Charger organization had began thinking THIS year they would with acquisitions (Mack)  have a similar story to the Bills with von miller. Steady ascent. I have friends here who would like to see that team do well. 

lol SMH What was I thinking? Same ole chargers. Been that way for years.  they can take their pipedream of LA being a city that will support that team and smoke it. Herbert I still think has great potential  but the franchise?

I scoff em mostly.

m

1 minute ago, Process said:

You clearly didn't watch either game. 

He could have easily had 5 INTs yesterday. Instead all these clowns in the media who just look at stats are talking about great he is and how he is the MVP favorite, when he played like crap. 

Played like crap? Hyperbole much? It wasn't a great performance and absolutely he didn't look like an MVP but let's not get caried away here. 🙄

2 hours ago, The Red King said:

One play, just one, and you have a 14-point swing along with momentum.  The Chargers never looked the same after that.  They had 'em.

It reminded me of the Taron Johnson pick 6 we had against the Ravens in the playoffs. Granted a lot less time on the clock in yesterday's game. 

25 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

1. Asante Samuel Jr makes that INT and then Jeff Bezos radios down and says to change it so the first Amazon prime game is more interesting.

2. Everett is tired and asking to come out but for whatever reason the Chargers run hurry up offense with a 1st and goal inside the 5 and plenty of time on the clock. He lazily runs his route and the throw is picked off and returned for 6.

KC didn't win that game, the Chargers lost it. A team that can't even make the playoffs can't win in the big moments. No surprise there

There's something to the "Chargers lost it" or as I put it "KC has a lucky horseshoe up their butt" philosphy

But do you seriously think Jeff Bezos has a direct line to NFL refs during the game?  At worst, I felt that was a debateable call and that Samuel did appear to lose his grip on the ball as he went to the ground and it hit the turf before he picked it up.  The Chargers had other chances to pick Mahomes and couldn't seal the deal.  Their DBs need to hit the Juggs machine.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Haaaaaa, ok. 

Not at all comparable.  

Bills dominated and turnovers kept Rams in it for a half.  

Chiefs struggled and it took a turnover & overturn of a turnover to decide the game. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

No!! Bills dominated that game in every aspect. Offensive, defensive and special teams. Chargers lost last night because of a pick six. The Bills had 4 TOs and the Rams scored 7 points, if I remember correctly

And yet, we went into the half tied 10 - 10 despite that dominance.  Why is that?

I understand your point.  The Bills did appear to dominate the game at the LOS.  But when the dust settles, what we have is that despite that apparent dominence, and in part due to all the turnovers, the Bills didn't go up by 2 scores until the 4Q.  That won't cut it with a "Lucky Horseshoe Butt" team like the Chiffs.

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

1. Asante Samuel Jr makes that INT and then Jeff Bezos radios down and says to change it so the first Amazon prime game is more interesting.

Your second point was absolutely devastating.  LA had some momentum and were driving the field and looking to get a TD, and just like that, no TD but KC gets one instead.

Devastating play!  Biggest of the game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

And yet, we went into the half tied 10 - 10 despite that dominance.  Why is that?

I understand your point.  The Bills did appear to dominate the game at the LOS.  But when the dust settles, what we have is that despite that apparent dominence, and in part due to all the turnovers, the Bills didn't go up by 2 scores until the 4Q.  That won't cut it with a "Lucky Horseshoe Butt" team like the Chiffs.

3 of the 4 TOs were in the 1st half hence the 10-10 tie. 2nd half, no contest!! 

6 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Chargers have been blowing games dating back to the beginning of the Phillip Rivers days. 

I am guessing you are younger than me if you think the Chargers only started blowing games when Phillip Rivers came on board.

5 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Did Leslie Frazier learn anything watching the Chargers defense last night? Kelce was 5/51 yds. 

To be fair, Frazier always had to worry about Kelce + Hill...if DC's don't have to focus as much on the WR's it makes it easier to key on Kelce and take him away (to the extent you can actually take Kelce away at least).

• Thank you (+1) 1

Good point made on GMFB.  Chargers didn’t just fade against the Chiefs, they did the same thing last week against the Raiders. 

We have our own demon to erase in 13 seconds against KC in the playoffs, but that was a one off… LAC just fades down the stretch as an identity.   They fade at the end of seasons, and through two games this year.. have faded down the stretch of actual games. 

Talented team, but they just come across as frauds.  Wear down their elite level starters throughout the course of a game/season and they seem to have no heart or depth. 

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Haaaaaa, ok. 

Not at all comparable.  

Bills dominated and turnovers kept Rams in it for a half.  

Chiefs struggled and it took a turnover & overturn of a turnover to decide the game.

I understand your point that the "feeling" during the game was that the Bills were dominating.

My point is that in reality, the Rams were "in the game" until the 4Q when we (finally) went up by 2 scores.

You could say it took a low-probablilty deep completion to Gabe Davis and a rare pick on a deep target of Cooper Kupp  or it could have been a tie game in the 4th.

I'm not trying to "diss" the Bills here, my point is that at times, the Bills crapped the bed in the game vs. the Rams, and at times, Mahomes came through Big Time for his team last night.  So I don't think it makes any more sense to dump on Mahomes for that game, than it would to deny that Allen had his struggles and the Bills game vs the Rams ultimately hinged on a few big plays.

Mahomes had 68% completions for 235 yds and 2 TDs, including a beautiful 41 yd TD pass to bring the Chiefs back within 3 points.  It's not like he sucked.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.