LA Chargers @ KC Chiefs - TNF Game Thread

Simon

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

the chargers have been one of those teams that have always found ways to lose. Clock management, being reckless last year with the 4th downs missed field goals. Going for it on fourth down is fine but when you do it in reckless spots it’s just reckless.  Just always seem to ***** defeat from the jaws of victory. 

Staley coaches the way my kid plays Madden.

13 hours ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

Please explain more where did you see this and how?

I was streaming the game from my computer and at the bottom of the screen their was a drop down for broadcast and once you selected it there was 4 different broadcast options to choose from and the one that had the ALL-22 option was listed as Prime Vision. It was ALL-22 with the name of the players shown above them in message bubble form. Best viewing experience Ive ever had watching a NFL game. 

Here is screenshot of what it looked like:

Edited by Protocal69
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I understand your point that the "feeling" during the game was that the Bills were dominating.

My point is that in reality, the Rams were "in the game" until the 4Q when we (finally) went up by 2 scores.

You could say it took a low-probablilty deep completion to Gabe Davis and a rare pick on a deep target of Cooper Kupp  or it could have been a tie game in the 4th.

I'm not trying to "diss" the Bills here, my point is that at times, the Bills crapped the bed in the game vs. the Rams, and at times, Mahomes came through Big Time for his team last night.  So I don't think it makes any more sense to dump on Mahomes for that game, than it would to deny that Allen had his struggles and the Bills game vs the Rams ultimately hinged on a few big plays.

Mahomes had 68% completions for 235 yds and 2 TDs, including a beautiful 41 yd TD pass to bring the Chiefs back within 3 points.  It's not like he sucked.

Im not dumping on Mahomes but Allens "struggles" was one int.  The other two in that half were not on him.  McKenzie gave up the ball and Cook fumbled the other.  Thats what stopped the Bills offense.  Not Allen "struggles"

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The frustrating part (if you're a Chargers fan) is that the only LA player who had a real shot at the ball carrier after the INT was Herbert himself...and he was well positioned to make the stop.  

But then close to the point of contact the runner made a quick move and it left Herbert grasping at air.  Needless to say, tackling is not what he is paid to do, but he could have shut that play down at about the 20 yard line I think, 80 yards short of the TD.  He's a much bigger guy than the DB and he could easily have brought him down, but he whiffed.

And from there, no one was going to catch that guy.

To be honest, I thought it was a poorly thrown ball.  He put it on the wrong side of the receiver, to the inside, when he should have thrown to the outside.  The throw also got there late, which is what allowed the DB to jump it.

Yeah, even in the Dan Fouts era (who I always really liked and thought was underrated), the Chargers found ways to lose and were never an ultra elite team. 

I do remember that playoff game out in SD, though.  What was that? 1980?  We lost that one and it ripped my soul out, probably for the first time.  Age: 9.

I disagree.  The receiver actually made a move inside while Herbert was throwing and then went back outside after Herbert was already releasing the ball.  Also, based on leverage the receiver should have broke inside. I say thats on the reciever but in fairness, he wanted to come off the field because he was gassed.  Its really on coaching there IMO.  They were in good position.  They did not need to run a hurry up there with a gassed receiver.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Did anyone else see how Everett, after the interception, stayed behind to pick up his mouthguard!?  He was gassed and wanted off the field and the sideline wouldn't let him because they didn't want KC to have a chance to substitute.   Herbert would have been better served throwing the ball away to stop the clock.

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

What I took out of this game is there is a blueprint to beat the Chiefs you have to get past rush without blitzing and you got to hang onto the ball when Mahomes gifts you interceptions they also don’t appear to be able to stop the run either

24 rushes for 75 yards allowed, and your takeaway is that they can’t stop the run?

i get so sick of INT commentary. it is very hard to not throw interceptable balls in the modern NFL the way teams are playing defense. you've got teams dropping seven into coverage, sometimes eight, and in the case of the chargers it's elite level players at multiple positions. you've got mack and bosa breathing down your neck. you've got samuel, jackson and others in the secondary glued to receivers. and then you've got LB's just roaming around. all the while, DC's are throwing crazy coverages at you (mahomes admitted afterward he was tricked on the samuel throw; the announcers tried to make it sound like it was kelce reading the coverage wrong). playing QB in the NFL is like playing Plinko. 

last year, mahomes had five INTs that bounced off a receiver's hands before being intercepted. this year, he's thrown a handful of passes that could have been intercepted but has ran pretty lucky.

allen's first INT vs the rams was an unfortunate fluke, and his second INT was a contested ball that was quite literally ripped away from the receiver's hands. 

i thought allen played at an unreal high level last year and yet he threw a career-high 15 INTs. 

throwing downfield in the current NFL carries a level of risk. the QBs who aren't willing to take any calculated risks and would rather dump it underneath all game probably aren't going to be leading efficient offenses in the end. 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

This is coaching.  Joe Lombardi is in over his head as OC there.  He clearly only is capable of making a gameplan, at the direction of Sean Peyton, for old Drew Brees.  They throw a bunch of short dink, dunk passes.  WASTING Justin Herberts big arm and mobility. 

I agree here. I'm not doing long term implications after 2 weeks, but some things I saw:

The alarming thing about the Chargers is that through 2 games, they can't run the ball and their receivers don't get separation. I get the struggle with Allen being out, but it looked the same as last week when he was in there. Herbert makes such a living throwing contested passes that he's bound to get picked off. Injuries to their offensive line affected the passing game for them as the game went on, too.

On the whole, LA was too sloppy on offense. Their defense played really well though.

With Kansas City I think the single best attribute that I see this year is just how refined they look early in the year. I'm sitting in a place for after two games I think their defense is a little bit better than people think, and spangolo is a really good coach there.

I think that offensively they have stuff to figure out with the vertical passing game and with their running game, at the offensive line is really good and they don't make really big mistakes so that plus having Patrick bombs means that they're still going to be a really good team.

1 hour ago, beebe said:

i get so sick of INT commentary. it is very hard to not throw interceptable balls in the modern NFL the way teams are playing defense. you've got teams dropping seven into coverage, sometimes eight, and in the case of the chargers it's elite level players at multiple positions. you've got mack and bosa breathing down your neck. you've got samuel, jackson and others in the secondary glued to receivers. and then you've got LB's just roaming around. all the while, DC's are throwing crazy coverages at you (mahomes admitted afterward he was tricked on the samuel throw; the announcers tried to make it sound like it was kelce reading the coverage wrong). playing QB in the NFL is like playing Plinko. 

last year, mahomes had five INTs that bounced off a receiver's hands before being intercepted. this year, he's thrown a handful of passes that could have been intercepted but has ran pretty lucky.

allen's first INT vs the rams was an unfortunate fluke, and his second INT was a contested ball that was quite literally ripped away from the receiver's hands. 

i thought allen played at an unreal high level last year and yet he threw a career-high 15 INTs. 

throwing downfield in the current NFL carries a level of risk. the QBs who aren't willing to take any calculated risks and would rather dump it underneath all game probably aren't going to be leading efficient offenses in the end. 

Exactly..I mean we had tyrod Taylor throw 3 or 4 ints in 10 games but had like 11 tds lol....I will take 40 tds and 12 to 13 ints anyday over that safe route

1 hour ago, y2zipper said:

I agree here. I'm not doing long term implications after 2 weeks, but some things I saw:

The alarming thing about the Chargers is that through 2 games, they can't run the ball and their receivers don't get separation. I get the struggle with Allen being out, but it looked the same as last week when he was in there. Herbert makes such a living throwing contested passes that he's bound to get picked off. Injuries to their offensive line affected the passing game for them as the game went on, too.

On the whole, LA was too sloppy on offense. Their defense played really well though.

With Kansas City I think the single best attribute that I see this year is just how refined they look early in the year. I'm sitting in a place for after two games I think their defense is a little bit better than people think, and spangolo is a really good coach there.

I think that offensively they have stuff to figure out with the vertical passing game and with their running game, at the offensive line is really good and they don't make really big mistakes so that plus having Patrick bombs means that they're still going to be a really good team.

Agree re the Chargers’ offense…they have no real weapons…kind of a dink and dunk attack. They don’t scare me at all…

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.