Beane addresses the 53- man roster decisions

YoloinOhio

23 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm sure he knows that. The point he is making is that Beane is saying we want a veteran punter, though we were evidently prepared to go with Araiza. The unspoken presupposition is that Araiza appeared to be a unique talent. Otherwise, the default is an experienced punter, which we now have.  

We want a veteran punter since we are 1 week from kickoff and they need to work on all facets of special teams.

It might be a different answer if it 4 months from kick-off and they have all of training camp to work on snaps and holds.

We we’re prepared to go with a rookie that had 3 months practice showing he could handle the holding - at this time rather than grab another rookie that was cut - you go with someone you can trust to be ready in 8 days.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

32 minutes ago, dreadlox said:

I assume the poster meant that Araiza was not a vet. Beane said they wanted a veteran, but were rolling with a rookie previously.

I think he meant that at this point (bringing in a new punter a week before the 1st game) they wanted a vet. They were fine bringing in a rookie with the entire off-season, TC and preseason ti get ready.

• Agree 5

OJ Howard is my least favorite move. Especially hearing Beane say it came down to the wire. If it was such a tough choice I would have kept him and put Sweeney or Morris on the PS. Paying him anyway so could have cut him anytime if needed. 

Edited by ngbills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

OJ Howard is my least favorite move. Especially hearing Beane say it came down to the wire. If it was such a tough choice I would have kept him and put Sweeney or Morris on the PS. Paying him anyway so could have cut him anytime if needed. 

Respectfully I don't know how you can say that after the preseason. Morris was clearly more athletic, Sweeney was not 100% last year and was absolutely crushing Denver defenders as an in line blocker.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Airseven said:

Yeah but what about Araiza?!?:blink:

You do you like no one else can do themselves, you haven’t changed a bit from the BBMB days, unless it’s that you “B” and moan even more, and you’re likely very proud of that, 😂

Go Bills!!!

21 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Sweeney and Morris would have been snatched up by the Giants in a heartbeat.  Howard obviously was not.

16 minutes ago, Forlorn hope said:

Respectfully I don't know how you can say that after the preseason. Morris was clearly more athletic, Sweeney was not 100% last year and was absolutely crushing Denver defenders as an in line blocker.

I dont put much weight in pre-season games. The entire Bills offense looked like HOFer's vs Denver. I base it more on Beane saying it was a tough decision and hopefully the right one. Will suck to see him have a decent year somewhere while we are light at the position. 

1 minute ago, eball said:

Sweeney and Morris would have been snatched up by the Giants in a heartbeat.  Howard obviously was not.

The reports were he was snatched by CIN. See how that plays out. 

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

Before you break my heart . . .

… think it o o ver…, 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, ngbills said:

feel like that sends a terrible signal to the locker room. It goes against the culture of earning your place and the right to play. Your best players make the 53, period. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, ngbills said:

What else you expect Beane to say? He needs to talk him up so someone else will sign him and offset some of that money we spent. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I think Beane thinks he sucks and isn’t worth the roster spot. I think he was talking him up like he would “have him back” (lol) so that another team like the bengals signs him thinking there could be something there, and he can recoup some of the dead cap. I don’t think it really was a tough decision outside if the gtd money. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.