Bills have 5th oldest roster in the NFL

transplantbillsfan

25 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

GB, I don’t know if it will be a rebuild as the inference is starting kind of over, but you’re right they will have to invest in the replacements for the 30+ crowd.  I don’t think it’s a big concern as you mention.  I believe in Beane will eye the right talent in FA and the draft.  We have $7.6 mil. In space for injuries or they surprise us with an OBJ acquisition.  I believe the cap increases by $20 mil. Next year as the last estimate I saw, and the Andrew Brandts of the world project $256 mil. 2024.  That will track well with our increases coming from Allen, Von, etc.

They will have to hit on at least 3 draft pics each year to manage the cap.  I’m not saying we won’t fill other role players, but I mean starters by the end of their rookie year.

Maybe re-load is a better word than re-build. 

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Not worried at all about this. 

Miller, Saffold, Morse, Quessenberry, Hyde, Poyer, Crowder and Kumerow are the 30+ guys as key contributors.  

IOL, Safety and depth WR aren’t exactly big money positions, and top prospects are typically available around the time we draft RD1 and on Day 2.  We found Davis and Shakir on Day 3.

The bigger issue is guessing right on what to do with Edmunds, Oliver, Knox and Davis.  

As long as Beane keeps drafting well, this isn’t an issue.  The only critique would be that he’ll have to hit quicker on the early picks so that we’re not entering Year 3 still waiting for that jump. 

• Like (+1) 1

The differences are so negligible in the NFL.  

This is a number that may matter in the NBA or NHL.  

The youngest team at 25 yo vs the oldest at 27 is just not significant.  

In the NHL the youngest team avg age is always around 25 and the oldest is about 30.  

The best team in MLB aside from the Dodgers this year - the Mets, have the oldest roster.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

All teams are pretty close in age. Honestly you’re only as old as your QB.

I look at QB (first and foremost), WR1, CB1, Pass rusher, MLB, LT. Those are the core infrastructure that you build around imo. All young except for our main pass rusher but all the guys right behind him are very young. And he’s a first ballot hof with 2 SB rings so all good. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

We are still waiting for that jump from Edmunds though…

Agreed.  Which is why making the right decision on him will be important.  

Whether that’s re-signing him and trading Milano or letting him walk.  I don’t necessarily see a way both are here next year.

If we want to extend Davis, Knox and Oliver in the near term.. I’m not sure how that happens with both of Edmunds & Milano plus Poyer all on the roster past this year. 

Regardless… Edmunds, Epenesa, Knox and Oliver to an extent… we need guys to make an impact before Year 3.  And we can’t miss on too many guys like Ford. 

That’s how we stay a SB contender year in/year out and avoid a “rebuild/reload” year. 

Hitting on guys like Davis and Shakir, along with having a very young group of seemingly talented corners behind Tre bodes well for their ability to continually keep big $$$ positions like CB and WR well stocked, given our new world of late round draft picks. 

The teams that are true Super Bowl contenders are generally more experienced and have had playoff success but have not attained the ultimate goal.

the older players are in key spots that do need that experience to get thru the playoff grind and to the Super Bowl.

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

We are still waiting for that jump from Edmunds though…

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Agreed.  Which is why making the right decision on him will be important.  

Whether that’s re-signing him and trading Milano or letting him walk.  I don’t necessarily see a way both are here next year.

I'm really hoping Spector can develop enough to succeed Edmunds.

43 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Maybe re-load is a better word than re-build. 

No worries partner.  I’m not that guy that has to correct posters with poor grammar or whatever as that’s silly as we post from our phones.  I agree with that phrase though as there is meaning behind some of those words.

When I think of rebuilds, that’s the Giants, Jets, Jags, and Lions.  You’re right though we have to hit on these drafts over the next three years to supplant the 30+ players as we can only pay too dollar sparingly for FA’s.  I don’t expect any big splashes over the next couple of years in FA as our current extended players will track with the cap increases.  We need cheap rookie talent for a couple of years and develop them. 

6 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

This can be misleading....there are a bunch of vets on the OL along with the safeties, other role players.  There is nothing to be concerned about.

Our ST trio are 29, 30 and 34 in Matekevich, Kumerow and Taiwan Jones. 

OP’s point is worth noting, but definitely a bit misleading in terms of concern. 

Our QB, WR’s, TE, LT, RT, RG, RB, DT, DE, LB and CB rooms are all young outside Von and some DT rotational guys.  

The Safeties, IOL and some role players really sway our aggregate team age.  

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Every year with Josh expectations will be playoffs

This season is the end of an era though. McDermott and Frazier have had a nice run on defense with little change. We’re going to see 2-3 major roster changes next year on defense. Edmunds and Poyer gone. Maybe others. Both replaced with inexpensive contracts. 

Any non playoff years will be based on the division honestly. 3 teams are in rebuilds. If those rebuilds fail the Bills will have a major advantage every year. Similar to NE with Brady. 

KC’s problem is yes the talent is less, but the teams in their division are better. 

You say that, but the Bills just posted this picture on their FB. It is of Edmunds, Knox, Von, Josh, Diggs, and Dawkins. Titled "The Core". 

https://www.facebook.com/BuffaloBills/photos/a.75862470658/10160001682250659/

15 minutes ago, Mango said:

You say that, but the Bills just posted this picture on their FB. It is of Edmunds, Knox, Von, Josh, Diggs, and Dawkins. Titled "The Core". 

https://www.facebook.com/BuffaloBills/photos/a.75862470658/10160001682250659/

Interesting that they included Knox too.

He and Edmunds are both on expiring contracts.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/08/31/nfls-youngest-oldest-rosters-after-tuesdays-cuts

Is it a huge concern in the near future? Nah. But at an average age of 26.5 with elite players like Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer and Von Miller on the wrong side of 30 and foundations to the team like Diggs, White and Milano getting there pretty soon, the idea of reloading this team intelligently given an increasingly complicated CAP situation every year is going to become tantamount to annual success.

If we had the 5th oldest QB, I'd be worried.  Franchise QBs are extraordinarily difficult to replace.  Other players are not nearly as hard.  

As GunnerBill said, Beane will soon - and continually - need to reload but not rebuild.  If he's as good at his job as I think he is, the Bills will be competitive for a long time.  

10 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Interesting that they included Knox too.

He and Edmunds are both on expiring contracts.

That was my thought. I was surprised they didn’t include Tre. Not reading a ton into that. They probably want somebody that is scheduled to play all 17 games. 

I do think that teams do try and be planned though and try to avoid putting guys on any new gear/marketing campaigns if they don’t anticipate them being on the roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.